PDA

View Full Version : V's 4 words

Mariel Dragon
2008-10-03, 06:11 PM
I'm almost certain this has been discussed before, but I could not find it, so here is it: Discuss the 4 words V will be saying to receive ultimate arcane power. With explanation, if needed.

I am not so sure myself, if we will see V recieving this power. Since the prophecy, it seemed somewhat strange to me, as if the oracle was bending the rules. I mean, even if its prophecies are all true, it has shown a great power to bend the prophecies for own amusement/as it sees fit. Even if "The four words...." is nearly unbendable, "ultimate arcane power" could be greatly bent to whatever the oracle wants to. But I am not sure.

Also, let us not forget "for all the wrong reasons". What could these reasons be?
And in which way are they wrong? Does it mean, V does not want to gain power? Or that V just does something not out of, e.g., love, but because s/he wants to gain power?

Anyway, here is my theory: The four words are: "Disintegrate. Gust of Wind."
The four words V said to Kubota. This killing will lead to a chain of events, that in the end will give V the power s/he searches. Perhaps by shifting to the evil side, I do not know.

Discuss.

gamerboy6000
2008-10-03, 06:17 PM
This had been posted, and I think it's possible, but probably not. I think killing Kubota was a good reason.

Revanmal
2008-10-03, 06:22 PM
*headdesk*

Is it that time of the week again? :smallamused:

I have no idea because there doesn't seem to be any indication of what it could be thus far.

Lowkey
2008-10-03, 06:31 PM
The key word is ultimate. Having the ultimate arcane power means that no one and nothing can surpass him. Which basically means that it will only come at the very end of the comic - otherwise the story ends when V snaps his fingers and solves everything. So those 4 words aren't coming any time soon.

Mauve Shirt
2008-10-03, 06:32 PM
This had been posted, and I think it's possible, but probably not. I think killing Kubota was a good reason.

Killing Kubota was a good thing, ultimately, but he still did it for the wrong reasons. He did it not because Kubota deserved it, but because Elan captured him he might deserve it.
I agree with the OP. Those words/right being/wrong reason, coupled with V's desperation, it seems likely that he could snap and somehow gain ultimate arcane power.

Finwe
2008-10-03, 06:34 PM
The key word is ultimate. Having the ultimate arcane power means that no one and nothing can surpass him. Which basically means that it will only come at the very end of the comic - otherwise the story ends when V snaps his fingers and solves everything. So those 4 words aren't coming any time soon.

Unless the four words cause a gradual/delayed rise in power.

Mauve Shirt
2008-10-03, 06:37 PM

Aye, just like Haley's not looking a gift horse in the mouth (going out with Nale) didn't immediately lead to getting her speech back.

Mariel Dragon
2008-10-03, 06:39 PM

Or V recieves this power a somewhat "cheated" way and finds, that hir life is boring now, because s/he has nothing to do now and discards this power again, to research it the loooooong way. I mean, what other thing have we seen do V than researching? All things V does are done to receive this power and s/he only agrees to doing something else if the Order wants to do it because s/he wants to keep with the Order because of personal commitments and the power thing (see the dirt farmers)

Staven
2008-10-03, 07:48 PM
Here we go again. But if the acquisition is gradual, it'd make more sense.

Lowkey
2008-10-03, 08:00 PM
In comic, the time between Haley refusing to look a gift horse in the mouth and regaining her speech was pretty much one after the other - at most a few hours separates it. With Belkar it was minutes from the next time he encountered the Oracle to killing him. With Roy's question he only went with an answer that had a longer payoff because of how Roy phrased it - he tried to answer correctly at a time when the army was starting its march towards AC. When Roy and Durkon first questioned the Oracle, his answer was true for that specific moment - in his throne room.

All indications thus far are that unless the Oracle is asked about an event with a specified future time period, the return is extremely prompt.

Kaytara
2008-10-03, 08:22 PM
Wouldn't it make far more sense to assume that, since V is obviously going to get worse before he gets better, and will thus keep doing increasingly extreme things for increasingly wrong reasons, his four words will be spoken at a later event, possible the climax of the current arc?

Dreamthiev
2008-10-03, 09:08 PM
"Ultimate power" for an arcane spellcaster could be defined as a Wish spell. Wish is pretty much as powerful as it gets, not counting epic spells (and even that is arguable). It also fits pretty well for the prophecy, too:

The right words: "I wish for <blank>."

To the right being: There's any number of beings in the D&D cosmology capable of granting wishes. There are also several magical items capable of the same, and magical items can possibly be sentient in D&D which would qualify them as a being.

The right time would be when there was such a being willing and able to grant the wish.

All the wrong reason, well, use your imagination... :wink:

Finwe
2008-10-03, 09:19 PM
"Ultimate power" for an arcane spellcaster could be defined as a Wish spell. Wish is pretty much as powerful as it gets, not counting epic spells (and even that is arguable). It also fits pretty well for the prophecy, too:

The right words: "I wish for <blank>."

To the right being: There's any number of beings in the D&D cosmology capable of granting wishes. There are also several magical items capable of the same, and magical items can possibly be sentient in D&D which would qualify them as a being.

The right time would be when there was such a being willing and able to grant the wish.

All the wrong reason, well, use your imagination... :wink:

Wish is actually quite limited in power. If you wish for an effect that is beyond the scope of any other 9th level spell, you'll probably end up with a cheap or distorted version of the wish. It really depends on your DM, but the description in the PHB makes it seem that anything beyond other traditional magics is probably also beyond a Wish spell.

Dreamthiev
2008-10-03, 09:31 PM
Wish is actually quite limited in power. If you wish for an effect that is beyond the scope of any other 9th level spell, you'll probably end up with a cheap or distorted version of the wish. It really depends on your DM, but the description in the PHB makes it seem that anything beyond other traditional magics is probably also beyond a Wish spell.

The very first line for wish's spell description from the player's guide and the SRD is, "Wish is the mightiest spell a wizard or sorcerer can cast." Considering prophecies are generally open to some interpretation, I think the oracle would be on firm ground here. Access to the mightiest spell could easily be considered ultimate arcane power.

And wish isn't really limited. The limits listed are considered the "safe" limits, things you can ask for without risk. Nothing's stopping anyone from taking the risk, wishing for more, and leaving it up to DM judgement.

Draco Dracul
2008-10-04, 12:19 AM
My theory is that the Four words are "Burn me weasle man" as there is no right reason to ever use that phrase.:smallamused:

Ragabash
2008-10-04, 12:26 AM
Maybe the four words will be "You people are obsessed!"... although that couldn't be it because it's an apt description of a lot of forum members when it comes to this.

Lokasenna
2008-10-06, 06:53 PM
I'm sorry to add fuel to the fire, but I was re-reading some of the older comics and found this: (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0282.html)

Prove that Lawful can sometimes be wrong for all the right reasons, and Chaotic can sometimes be right for all the wrong reasons.

derfenrirwolv
2008-10-07, 01:39 AM
Klaatuu verata nicto. DAMMIT

The Rose Dragon
2008-10-07, 02:15 AM
"Hastur, Hastur, Hastur... Dammit!"

Any three-word combination followed by "Dammit!" works, really.

Kinneus
2008-10-07, 02:25 AM
"I am a man."
or
"I am a woman."
Uttered to some extremely powerful astral or divine creature in the boudoir. As misguided romance turns to embarassment-fueled arcane combat, V defeats his enemy and comes into his or her own... or something.

Laurentio II
2008-10-07, 02:32 AM
"Heaven! My sentimental partner!"
I let you to figure the wrong circumstance where this words could be pronounced.

turkishproverb
2008-10-07, 02:44 AM
"I got a ONE!"

danielmayer
2008-10-07, 04:59 AM
"I have the Ming!"

mlsq42
2008-10-07, 07:05 AM
Redcloak, Quick, Follow Me!

Aducabar
2008-10-07, 10:18 AM
The four words are: "Disintegrate. Gust of Wind."
Yeah, those last three words seem especially crucial.

Linkavitch
2008-10-07, 10:22 AM
V's four words will be 'NOOOOOO! The Dew's gone!'

RosesOnConcrete
2008-10-07, 01:26 PM
I still say it'll be "Hand me my doily (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0033.html)."

Mariel Dragon
2008-10-07, 01:53 PM
I still say it'll be "Hand me my doily (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0033.html)."

indeed.

or "I am your father"

nowiwantmydmg
2008-10-07, 02:25 PM
A lot of people are probably too young to remember, but: "Tastes great, less filling"

To some sentient undead: "There's an easier way to be immortal........forever young, Diet Pepsi."

"I love Micheal Jackson"(either he or David Bowie will be his/her mate)

Beren
2008-10-07, 02:57 PM
Fabulous secret powers will be revealed to V on the day that he/she holds aloft his/her magic sword and says, "I have the power!"

Lord_Butters_I
2008-10-07, 03:08 PM
Here's an idea:

The others mean nothing.

mlsq42
2008-10-07, 06:56 PM
I Quit The Order.

Kranden
2008-10-07, 09:52 PM
I can with almost complete certainty assuredly assume that the particular quadruple vocabulary of which Vaarsuvius will definitely enunciate will constitute the longest synonyms that can be imagined.

Finwe
2008-10-07, 10:16 PM
Maybe by four words, he means four words in the Computer sense: 16 bytes. Might it be "01001001001000000110000101101101001000000110011101 10111101100100"?

:tongue:

Theodoriph
2008-10-07, 10:59 PM
Who says the four words will come after one another in a single sentence?

e.g.

This isn't a serious example...but it illustrates what I mean:

Four words: Oooga Booga Wooga Rooga

V: I think Oooga the Booga got pretty Wooga last night at Hinjo's Rooga.

Verosce
2008-10-07, 11:57 PM
I can with almost complete certainty assuredly assume that the particular quadruple vocabulary of which Vaarsuvius will definitely enunciate will constitute the longest synonyms that can be imagined.

I imagine the sentence, should it be only four words long, will also constitute the shortest sentence V has ever spoken.

Aeon221
2008-10-08, 01:38 AM
I like big butts! <-- Clearly the answer.

Squeeck
2008-10-08, 01:57 AM
"Retcon: I'll Ban Evocation."

Ossian
2008-10-08, 06:15 AM
huhu....strip 600 round the corner, a fellowship breakup, a distressed and mentally deranged megalomaniac elf wizard and a Imp with plans...

I guess the 4 words are nigh. REPENT! YE SINNERS!!!

mlsq42
2008-10-08, 06:23 AM
I dunno, it's a bit early for Ultimate Cosmic Powers, isn't it?

Ghastly Epigram
2008-10-08, 06:33 AM
I dunno, it's a bit early for Ultimate Cosmic Powers, isn't it?

Well firstly, even if he say the right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons, it does not mean he will gain it INSTANTLY. Just that it well create a chain of events that will lead to it.

And secondly, there are several ways that Ultimate Arcane Power can be twisted. Say, he might technically have it, but be unable to wield it, at least to anywhere near its full potential. Along those lines, the increase in power may be gradual, not just BAM mega mage. Or it might be a twist of words, and we end up with a really lame but technically correct explanation for how, say, being able to make all waffles delicious is actually Ultimate Arcane Power (Not that I think it will happen, but just saying it is a possibility). Nah, I reckon there are various ways this can be played without it being "Game breaking" as it were.

This whole V/Qaar encounter DOES seem to be hinting towards it, though if anything that may mean our expectations shall be shattered. :smallwink:

mlsq42
2008-10-08, 06:36 AM
Oh, by all means, V's Eruption Into Evil is clearly the goal, and this is the start of it, and the 4 Words will come into it, I'm just not sure if they'll be spoken JUST yet.

The words will be when V either decends fully or saves herself.

Laurentio II
2008-10-08, 06:50 AM
Oh, by all means, V's Eruption Into Evil is clearly the goal, and this is the start of it, and the 4 Words will come into it, I'm just not sure if they'll be spoken JUST yet.
Evil? He just wants to research a spell to find a friend of his, and thinks that the objectively apathetic dwarf (mind, he is an elf) is an impediment. He even hinted that he will contact them for a rendezvous after having accomplished his goals.
Where is the "evil"? Obsessed tight-ass snob elf, yes.

factotum
2008-10-08, 07:00 AM
He even hinted that he will contact them for a rendezvous after having accomplished his goals.

Well, no, he went on to say "But probably not." Doesn't sound to me like he especially wants to meet up with them again...

Belkster11
2008-10-08, 08:00 AM
Maybe when V's contacted Haley and gotten some tranceing done, he'll consider it. Remember, he still needs to get Roy raised.

Haley also wants to see Elan again, so either way, V's gonna have to get Haley to Durkon and Elan....

but I don't think it's gonna turn out that way...

Uncle Festy
2008-10-08, 08:31 AM
Quite simply, V is about to encounter a being that can give power, that talking to him at all would be the wrong reasons, and happens to be just the right time (after Kubota's death). And next comic is 600. Everything is screaming that the prophecy is about to come true.
Which is exactly why, knowing Rich's love of doing the unexpected, it won't. :smalltongue:

Sly Reference
2008-10-08, 08:44 AM
Or considering the latest comic, the words could be "I accept your offer."

Kcalehc
2008-10-08, 09:37 AM
And secondly, there are several ways that Ultimate Arcane Power can be twisted. Say, he might technically have it, but be unable to wield it, at least to anywhere near its full potential. Along those lines, the increase in power may be gradual, not just BAM mega mage. Or it might be a twist of words, and we end up with a really lame but technically correct explanation for how, say, being able to make all waffles delicious is actually Ultimate Arcane Power (Not that I think it will happen, but just saying it is a possibility). Nah, I reckon there are various ways this can be played without it being "Game breaking" as it were.

Quite, it may also be that V gains ultimate arcane power but is unaware of the fact, then loses it again (i.e. it was dependant on V having an item, say, and V discards/destroys that item) before realising what happened. Theres nothing in the prophecy to say that V will be aware of having it, nor does it mention a duration...

Additionally it may be that the power is time limited and V is incapacitated for the duration. e.g. the power is gained a moment after being hit by 'hold' and lasts for a slightly shorter duration. Especially annoying for V, knowing that they have ultimate power but are forced to sit idly, unable to use it, that would be quite tortuous for V I'd think (as you are aware while 'held' just unable to act).

Prophecies are often most interesting for what they don't say as what they do.

chibibar
2008-10-08, 10:21 AM
Due to recent comic.

"I can quit You"

Mauve Shirt
2008-10-08, 10:24 AM
"I don't need you"

Guru Gloin
2008-10-08, 10:29 AM

That sounds the most plausable to me.

jimbo_the_tubby
2008-10-08, 10:48 AM

I was thinking something along the same lines. Like "Help me find Haley." or something.

Laurentio II
2008-10-08, 10:53 AM
I was thinking something along the same lines. Like "Help me find Haley." or something.
"Bring me to Hell"

AKA_Bait
2008-10-08, 10:56 AM
"Qarr, read the scroll."

Jorrath_Zek
2008-10-08, 12:40 PM
"Let the Enchantment End"... Now the super-sized Demon owes him a boon and becomes his new familiar.

Lerky
2008-10-08, 01:40 PM
woah...this person hit the nail on the head:smalleek:

I really liked this theory (unfortunatly I can't remember who posted it) "Show me Haley Starshine!". V is searching for them mostly out of guilt and trying preserve his self image as a superior being of awesome arcane power. In his quest to find Haley and Belkar he's going out of his mind, and it's not far fetched that he gets some powerful mage to help him on his quest (possibly a demon/devil/doily). The right time being when the duration of the cloister spell runs out, the wrong reasons - he's doing it out of selfishness rather than sincere concern for his comrades.
or the 4 words could be "I will join you"
I still don't get the right time. Most likely when there's a path to join evil or the order set before him/her

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 01:41 PM
I have the four words!

Yes, I'll marry you!

VetMichael
2008-10-08, 01:48 PM
I'm almost certain this has been discussed before, but I could not find it, so here is it: Discuss the 4 words V will be saying to receive ultimate arcane power. With explanation, if needed.

I am not so sure myself, if we will see V recieving this power. Since the prophecy, it seemed somewhat strange to me, as if the oracle was bending the rules. I mean, even if its prophecies are all true, it has shown a great power to bend the prophecies for own amusement/as it sees fit. Even if "The four words...." is nearly unbendable, "ultimate arcane power" could be greatly bent to whatever the oracle wants to. But I am not sure.

Also, let us not forget "for all the wrong reasons". What could these reasons be?
And in which way are they wrong? Does it mean, V does not want to gain power? Or that V just does something not out of, e.g., love, but because s/he wants to gain power?

The four words V said to Kubota. This killing will lead to a chain of events, that in the end will give V the power s/he searches. Perhaps by shifting to the evil side, I do not know.

Discuss.

Interesting. I was thinking thinking along the lines of "What price your soul?" but yours works much better.

As a side note, is V on his way to becoming the next Xykon? He has always been aloof, but he's never evidenced such callous disregard for life before (even the dirt farmers didn't elicit such antipathy). Now he is spurning his companions and is willing to sacrifice anything to contact Hayley.

Wreckingrocc
2008-10-08, 02:11 PM
...But probably not.

Goodbye.:smalltongue:

mlsq42
2008-10-08, 07:53 PM
Evil? He just wants to research a spell to find a friend of his, and thinks that the objectively apathetic dwarf (mind, he is an elf) is an impediment. He even hinted that he will contact them for a rendezvous after having accomplished his goals.

Redcloak started in roughly the same sort of way. Evil doesn't have to mean Xykon/Nale levels of full bore I'm Evil Because I Like It.

This is your classic selling your soul to achieve a 'good' end. Like Redcloak or Lando from B5, which is pretty much the way I'm assuming this is going, given the Big Guy's fandom of that particular Space Opera.

Poeir
2008-10-08, 10:37 PM
I'm with Sly Reference on this one, though I expect something more like "I ratify this accord."

Alair
2008-10-09, 02:02 AM
Put me down for "Disintegrate. Gust of Wind." They put V on her current course, which led to her break with the Stick and will presumably end somehow with Ultimate Arcane Power.

"I ratify this accord."

I really do think that interpretting "The wrong reason" as "Well you shouldn't be talking to devils at all! It's wrong to!" or "But in the end it'll turn out that Ultimate Arcane Power won't make V happy!" etc. is just... bleh.

Liwen
2008-10-09, 02:06 AM
Time to close those threads for good

here are V's four words:

"I love you, Haley."

DM : The hell?
V's player : I'm going to turn this game into a love like american show if you don't give me ultimate power.
DM: ... Fine. You're level 100

only1doug
2008-10-10, 06:12 AM
Ok, be my familiar

Uncle Festy
2008-10-10, 07:43 AM
here are V's four words:

"I love you, Haley."

DM : The hell?
V's player : I'm going to turn this game into a love like american show if you don't give me ultimate power.
DM: ... Fine. You're level 100

*cracks up*
Can I use that for Quote of the Week? :smallbiggrin:

NorseItalian
2008-10-11, 12:45 PM
For some reason this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0591.html

Makes me think the words are "I told you so."

wootage
2008-10-12, 11:55 AM

There's another kind of elf?

heroe_de_leyenda
2008-10-12, 12:20 PM
For some reason this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0591.html

Makes me think the words are "I told you so."

Well... it's weird... it does seem very plausible for some reason to me too... I just can't figure out a context in which those words are spoken... But maybe that's a clue too! For the "all the wrong reasons" thing.

heroe_de_leyenda
2008-10-12, 01:18 PM

Discuss.

I don't think so... With Belkar's case, the "stretching" the Oracle was doing had nothing to do with the actual fulfillment of the prophecy: Belkar stabbed the poor bastard, so there was no chain of events. There was no "Belkar gave the ring to Roy and he died a bunch of strips later".

The Oracles prophecies seem very direct to me so far. So, when V's does happen... I think we will know.