PDA

View Full Version : Sanctuary

TheElfLord
2008-10-03, 10:32 PM
So I just finished watching the premier of Sanctuary on SciFi and thought I'd ask if anyone else caught it. I liked what I saw. It should be a fun cast with an interesting storyline and good effects.

KillianHawkeye
2008-10-04, 11:48 AM
I thought it was pretty good. I think Amanda Tapping did a good job in her new role, although I would have preferred for her to stay on Atlantis. I think the other characters on the show are pretty interesting and the show has some good potential. I was happily surprised to see fellow Atlantis cast-mate Kavan Smith playing the role of the police officer, but I'm not sure if that character will continue with the show now that the Dr. Zimmerman character has joined the Sanctuary.

Krrth
2008-10-04, 01:06 PM
I liked the show well enough. My main beef was with Tappings accent. It got annoying quickly. The plot was somewhat easy to read, although that doesn't necessarily make it a bad show. All in all, I'll watch more to see where it goes.

TheElfLord
2008-10-04, 01:19 PM
I liked the show well enough. My main beef was with Tappings accent. It got annoying quickly. The plot was somewhat easy to read, although that doesn't necessarily make it a bad show. All in all, I'll watch more to see where it goes.

Well she is English. I bet she enjoyed playing a character from her own country.

Krrth
2008-10-04, 10:16 PM
Well she is English. I bet she enjoyed playing a character from her own country.

It wasn't so much that she had an accent, but that the accent came across as.....forced and silly. That may just be me though.

Gavin Sage
2008-10-04, 10:26 PM
Watching it I got the impression really that this is just all those sci-fi original movies made into a series... and that's not a compliment.

Krrth
2008-10-06, 11:47 AM
Watching it I got the impression really that this is just all those sci-fi original movies made into a series... and that's not a compliment.
Aww, come on, you make it sound like there aren't any good sci-fi channel movies. I mean, there was mansq...ok, not that one. How about ogr....not that one either. I know, Basili...erm.....
Actually though, your observation may make sense. If one of the "monsters" an episode covers ends up being populer, why not make a movie about it....can't be any worse than some of the things they've released.

Muz
2008-10-06, 12:18 PM
From what I understand, the pilot was a redone and expanded version of the two 20-minute webisodes, which may have contributed to that effect (along with making it feel a little thin).

I think the only reason her accent bothered me (which it only did a little) is because I'm used to Carter. On the other hand, I have a very poor ear for picking out what's an authentic accent and what's fake, so I don't usually bother about being bothered at all.

SometimesKate
2008-10-06, 01:59 PM
Silly me. I saw the title and thought it was going to be a discussion of the 'Thieves World' books. So I'm off to the imdb in order to figure out what this show is.

Krrth
2008-10-06, 02:04 PM
Silly me. I saw the title and thought it was going to be a discussion of the 'Thieves World' books. So I'm off to the imdb in order to figure out what this show is.
Oh man, now that's a series I haven't heard about in a while. If it helps (and even if it doesn't), Sanctuary is a new series on the Sci-Fi channel. The premier episode was last friday.

Telonius
2008-10-06, 02:30 PM

Glad I'm not the only one. :smallredface: I hope I can create a Rogue that's half as cool as Hanse someday. :smallbiggrin:

Muz
2008-10-06, 06:15 PM
Oh man, now that's a series I haven't heard about in a while. If it helps (and even if it doesn't), Sanctuary is a new series on the Sci-Fi channel. The premier episode was last friday.

And the premier episode is also currently up on Hulu.com. :smallsmile:

SometimesKate
2008-10-06, 06:48 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. :smallredface: I hope I can create a Rogue that's half as cool as Hanse someday. :smallbiggrin:

Hanse was very cool. The whole series was great, till they all started trying to out-Mary-Sue one another. I blame it all on Chenaya.