PDA

View Full Version : [3-5] As a player, would you get the reference?

newbDM
2008-10-04, 01:07 AM
I have been working on these for a while. I plan on randomly placing them in random dungeons and locations (even taverns and houses maybe?).

Spoiler of what I tried to make it resemble:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/203327jpeg.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/zelda21.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/203345jpeg.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/LinkLift.jpg

Also, how would you feel about it? In one of my recent threads someone pointed out that there is a fine line between fun and "silly", so now I am paranoid about that.

p.s. What should I place in these, in case the PCs actually try breaking them (n game of course)?

Mattarias, King.
2008-10-04, 01:13 AM
XD I say go for it. Love the idea. And I say make a little table and roll every time they break one. May I add explosions to the mix? Explosions are fun.

JaxGaret
2008-10-04, 01:14 AM
Are you talking strictly about the jars, or also about the figure? I wouldn't get the reference for the jars, but I never was a big Zelda fan. The figure doesn't really look like Link, just like Random Archer Dude.

I would suggest putting gems of some kind in them. And maybe some food that's still somehow perfectly edible despite being open to the elements, to hang a lampshade on it.

streakster
2008-10-04, 01:14 AM
p.s. What should I place in these, in case the PCs actually try breaking them (n game of course)?

I got it.

And the obvious answer is rupees. Rupees that no shop will take.

Watch them scour the world for a shop that takes rupees....

newbDM
2008-10-04, 01:17 AM
I got it.

And the obvious answer is rupees. Rupees that no shop will take.

Watch them scour the world for a shop that takes rupees....

Damn, it has been SOOOOO long. I really want to play this again. :smallfrown:

Anyway, what did the rupees do again?

JaxGaret
2008-10-04, 01:19 AM
Anyway, what did the rupees do again?

They're money in the Zelda 'verse.

They're basically just gems though, so I don't see why no one would accept them.

Yahzi
2008-10-04, 01:20 AM
Even with the spoiler... I still didn't get it.

JaxGaret
2008-10-04, 01:21 AM

In Zelda games, jars such as the ones shown in the OP pictures are literally everywhere, and when you break one open, some of the time they hold treasure.

newbDM
2008-10-04, 01:22 AM
They're money in the Zelda 'verse.

They're basically just gems though, so I don't see why no one would accept them.

Yeah, I am not to sure why myself.

What if I made rupees the official elven currency? :smallbiggrin:

Doresain
2008-10-04, 01:27 AM
What if I made rupees the official elven currency?

you should make it the currency of some incredibly obscure society...preferably a short race...with brown cloaks...and yellow glowing eyes...

Zeful
2008-10-04, 02:24 AM

Since either LoZ: A Link to the Past (Triforce of the Gods in japan), or Link's Awakening, there have been breakable jars in every Zelda game, and when you break them you get stuff (money and hearts mostly, but after you got the Bow, arrows would be included, as would bombs after you gained the ability to buy them).

Also, I say it's cool that you made them, a little big in my mind but meh. As for what to put in them, I'd pull what Zelda did. I'd put potions of cure minor wounds, 20x Arrows, explosives, etc. there would be a table that would look roughly like:

{table=head]d% roll|Result
01-40%|1d4x10 cp
41-46%|One stick dynamite
47-59%|2d4x10 Arrows
60-67%|1 Potion of Cure Minor wounds
68-73%|1 Potion of Cure Light wounds
74-85%|1 rusty key
86-93%|16oz water
94-99%|1d4 Tiny monstrus spiders
100%|DM's Choice[/table]

Ragabash
2008-10-04, 02:28 AM
I got it instantly, I didn't even have to wait for the first image to completely load. The pots turned out great.

Kizara
2008-10-04, 05:58 AM
Would your players actually take this seriously?

I mean, if someone did this at my table it would be a complete hoot for about 20 minutes, but noone would think that now we will in a universe were pots fill in for a banking system...

Adumbration
2008-10-04, 08:42 AM
I've never played Zelda. I thought they were alien eggs. :smalltongue:

Pegasos989
2008-10-04, 08:51 AM
I've played two of the Zelda games (though not through, didn't like them much) and I didn't get the refererence.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-04, 08:55 AM
They look like jars of hunny - only the spoilers corrected me.

Jack_Simth
2008-10-04, 08:57 AM
Would I get the reference? Not really. Would I check inside the silly things? Yes, very much so (after the rogue checked them for traps, that is).

Hal
2008-10-04, 09:15 AM
I got it. It's clever, though eventually it's going to play out like this at the table:

Players: "Okay, we break all the pots in the room."
DM: *Roll . . . roll . . . roll . . . roll . . .*
Players: "Well?"
DM: *Roll . . . roll . . . roll . . .* Okay. You find 52 copper pieces, 76 arrows, 3 flasks of alchemist's fire, and you get attacked by 12 tiny monstrous spiders. Roll for initiative.
Players: "Ugh. That's now 40 of those things for this dungeon alone."

I like the idea, but the streamlining it will become will take away the charm. I might do it for only one or two dungeons.

Oh, but at least let your players throw them at enemies.

UglyPanda
2008-10-04, 11:07 AM
I didn't get the reference until I saw the screenshot, and after I did, I didn't really think it was funny. Unlike Legend of Zelda, PCs usually don't feel encouraged to break everything they see in order to get cash. Maybe as a one-off joke where you leave one inside the dungeon and they get currency they can't spend, as the previous posters have said.

Hairb
2008-10-04, 11:13 AM
This all greatly depends on whether or not your group has played Zelda or not, a question we here are acutely underqualified to answer.

Secondly, Link's habit of breaking things and stealing the stuff inside them regardless of prior ownership marks him as a Video Game ******* of the highest order. Do you really want your group doing stuff like this?

Tequila Sunrise
2008-10-04, 12:29 PM
All I could think was 'Why is Legolas stealing Whinny the Pooh's honey jars?' :smalleek: But I've played all of maybe two hours of Zelda during the course of my life.

TS

Fiery Diamond
2008-10-04, 01:22 PM
I also got it instantly without having to wait for the first pic to finish loading. The pots came out well.

Also, I'm a super Zelda fanatic.

-Fiery Diamond

Maroon
2008-10-04, 01:40 PM
p.s. What should I place in these, in case the PCs actually try breaking them (n game of course)?Hearts.

Juicy, tender hearts, freshly harvested.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-04, 02:00 PM
All I could think was 'Why is Legolas stealing Whinny the Pooh's honey jars?' :smalleek: But I've played all of maybe two hours of Zelda during the course of my life.

TS

That was my first thought as well.

Drascin
2008-10-04, 02:36 PM
Got it in like half a second, really. As a one-of joke, it would be great, yeah. And then, place a single pot in every dungeon, even the ones where it would make no sense, as a kind of easter egg :smalltongue:.

Crow
2008-10-04, 02:42 PM
The jars remind me of Winnie the Pooh. That wasn't the reference you were shooting for though, right?

Fiery Diamond
2008-10-04, 02:47 PM
It hurts just to see "Winnie the Pooh" in reference to Zelda....owwwwww...

-Fiery Diamond

Piedmon_Sama
2008-10-04, 04:41 PM
Yeah, my first thought was that it was some kind of Honey Pot trap... like you eat the honey in one pot, and it's an instant addiction that compels your character to ravenously seek out more, and more, muttering "honneeeyy.... honneeey..." as they stumble around looking for their next fix.

Man, now I've got to throw that in somewhere.

Vortling
2008-10-04, 04:50 PM
I would get it and find it hilarious. It would be good for a one shot gag or for a running gag. You wouldn't want to include them in any scene you want taken seriously though.

Prometheus
2008-10-04, 04:54 PM
I say make a dungeon based around one of the zelda dungeons and see how long it takes your players to figure that much out.

monty
2008-10-04, 06:27 PM
I can't see the pictures, for some reason, but if those showed up in one of my games, I'd have a hard time stopping laughing.

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-05, 05:52 AM
I got it instantly, and it would make me chuckle if it came up in a game

More importantly though, why is Mr Archer standing next to a pube? ewwwww

newbDM
2008-10-10, 02:39 AM
Since either LoZ: A Link to the Past (Triforce of the Gods in japan), or Link's Awakening, there have been breakable jars in every Zelda game, and when you break them you get stuff (money and hearts mostly, but after you got the Bow, arrows would be included, as would bombs after you gained the ability to buy them).

Also, I say it's cool that you made them, a little big in my mind but meh. As for what to put in them, I'd pull what Zelda did. I'd put potions of cure minor wounds, 20x Arrows, explosives, etc. there would be a table that would look roughly like:

01-40%|1d4x10 cp
41-46%|One stick dynamite
47-59%|2d4x10 Arrows
60-67%|1 Potion of Cure Minor wounds
68-73%|1 Potion of Cure Light wounds
74-85%|1 rusty key
86-93%|16oz water
100%|DM's Choice[/table]

Thank you so much for this idea, and for taking teh tiem to make this table!

I am trying to rework it a bit for my game, though:

01-40%|1d4x10 cp (For PCs lv.1-5), 1d4x10 sp (PCs lv.6-10), 1d4x10 gp (PCs lv.11-15), 1d4x10 pp (PCs lv.16+)
41-46%|One Zelda style bomb:
(To be stated out soon)
47-59%|2d4x10 Arrows
60-67%|1 ???
68-73%|1 ???
74-85%|1 rusty key
86-93%|16oz water in a flask
100%|DM's Choice[/table]

What do you think so far?

I am heading to the Homebrew forum now to try getting some help with stating out Zelda style bombs for my games. If you have any ideas, please see the thread there (see link below):

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5079848#post5079848

Also, my games are very low magic, and potions are considered a rare item usually owned by only royalty, nobles, and military generals/commanders who are given to them as (usually politically motivated) gifts by temple leaders. Because of this, potions are out of the question. Anyone else have nay ideas for something to take their place?

Also, what about the faeries? :smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-10, 02:41 AM
Thank you so much for this idea, and for taking teh tiem to make this table!

I am trying to rework it a bit for my game, though:

01-40%|1d4x10 cp (For PCs lv.1-5), 1d4x10 sp (PCs lv.6-10), 1d4x10 gp (PCs lv.11-15), 1d4x10 pp (PCs lv.16+)
41-46%|One Zelda style bomb:
(To be stated out soon)
47-59%|2d4x10 Arrows
60-67%|1 ???
68-73%|1 ???
74-85%|1 rusty key
86-93%|16oz water in a flask
100%|DM's Choice[/table]

What do you think so far?

I am heading to the Homebrew forum now to try getting some help with stating out Zelda style bombs for my games. If you have any ideas, please see the thread there (see link below):

Also, my games are very low magic, and potions are considered a rare item usually owned by only royalty, nobles, and military generals/commanders who are given to them as (usually politically motivated) gifts by temple leaders. Because of this, potions are out of the question. Anyone else have nay ideas for something to take their place?

Also, what about the faeries? :smallbiggrin:Have it cast Cure Serious Wounds on one PC.

newbDM
2008-10-10, 03:25 AM
Have it cast Cure Serious Wounds on one PC.

The pot?

Seems a bit too unrealistic for my games (I have a strange balance of logic/realism and humor in my DMing style).

However, psionics are somewhat more common than magic in my games. What if I replace the Cure Light Wounds potions with a power stone with a single charge of the Complete Psionics (god I despise that book...) which can only heal 1hp (a normal 1st level manifesting of that power does 2hp vs the cure light wound of 2-9hp), and the Cure Moderate Wounds potions with a powerstone that deals the full 2hp? This way they get a bit of healing potential, but someone still needs the Use Psionic Device skill to even try using it?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-10, 03:27 AM
The pot?

Seems a bit too unrealistic for my games (I have a strange balance of logic/realism and humor in my DMing style).

However, psionics are somewhat more common than magic in my games. What if I replace the Cure Light Wounds potions with a power stone with a single charge of the Complete Psionics (god I despise that book...) which can only heal 1hp (a normal 1st level manifesting of that power does 2hp vs the cure light wound of 2-9hp), and the Cure Moderate Wounds potions with a powerstone that deals the full 2hp? This way they get a bit of healing potential, but someone still needs the Use Psionic Device skill to even try using it?I meant the faerie. Alternatively, it could use Summon Nature's ally IV(aka Summon Healbot) to summon a Unicorn.

newbDM
2008-10-10, 03:30 AM
Oh, and I have recently downloaded Inspiration Pad 2 (http://www.nbos.com/products/ipad/ipad.htm). Can someone please teach me how to import the above table into this program?

edit:
Nevermind, I finally found the tutorial.