PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item that stops aging (like Timeless Body e.g.)?

Will_Shakespear
2008-10-04, 03:24 AM
Hi there,

is there a magic item (or feat maybe) that stops your character's aging? Like in the druid's Timeless Body class feature e.g.?

Cheerio

Will

Emperor Tippy
2008-10-04, 03:30 AM
Not directly that I know of. You can use various methods to get your type changed to something that doesn't age.

Zeful
2008-10-04, 03:37 AM
Not directly that I know of. You can use various methods to get your type changed to something that doesn't age.

Technically there are no [creature] types immune to aging, there are just few races that have a aging table for them.

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-04, 03:46 AM
I made a spell that can do that here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71841 (I think a better componant would probably be 1 pint of blood from a dragon who gave it willingly, though). I also designed 1 race which doesn't age: http://forum.mydndgame.com/index.php/topic,136.0.html (they are humanoid foxes, so not everyone would want to play as one). I didn't think Outsiders aged, and Killoreans and Warforged only age to a point.

Adumbration
2008-10-04, 03:50 AM
You could try polymorphing. Don't know about a magic item though.

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-04, 04:01 AM
Can Polymorphing change your age, though? I didn't think it could.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-04, 04:08 AM
Can Polymorphing change your age, though? I didn't think it could.PAO (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) looks like it should. All the duration factors would make it permanent, so the only worry would be Dispel.

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-04, 04:09 AM
Could using the Perminancy spell (or any other spells) stop it from being Dispelled? I think I made my Eternal Youth spell so that it couldn't be reversed at all (I'll check what I wrote down for it).

EDIT: I posted the wrong link. Here's the correct one: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72146&highlight=eternal+youth . I'll alter it so that it can't be reversed at all.

Dhavaer
2008-10-04, 04:11 AM
Could using the Perminancy spell (or any other spells) stop it from being Dispelled?

Spells with permanency cast on them can still be dispelled.

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-04, 04:18 AM
Sorry about forgetting about that. Do you think my Eternal Youth spell is balanced? (I just modified it slightly).

Bayar
2008-10-04, 06:53 AM
If human, become an Elan from Expanded psionics Handbook. It isnt a template, really, but the fluff text implies that you could turn him into one. And hey presto ! Your character is immortal.

Also, there are warforged, undead...yeah, become an undead. you could try the ever popular lich, or vampire. I opt for an awaken fast zombie myself...

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-04, 06:58 AM
Eleans still age up to Venerable unfortunately (Killoreans only go up to Old, though).

Emperor Tippy
2008-10-04, 07:21 AM
Eleans still age up to Venerable unfortunately (Killoreans only go up to Old, though).

Which makes no sense at all based on their fluff. They literally rebuild their bodies with psychic energy on a daily basis. What they should have done is said that Elan's aren't effected by aging in any way. Or just remove the physical aging penalties and strongly recommend that they not be allowed to start above 150 years old or so.

The other problem is how slowly their mental attributes increase. It takes then a thousand years to gain the same benefits a human gains in 70 years, despite the fact that they are just altered humans. One would really think that the Elan who has survived a thousand years would be just a mite wiser than the human who has survived 70, and that the one who has survived a hundred thousand years is just a mite wiser still.

I suppose it's expressed by being higher level, but then you end up with some very powerful wizards and Psions. Even gaining levels at a rate of 1 per decade a Psion would be level 100 when he reaches venerable.

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-04, 07:25 AM
That would make more sense (the different times at which races gain mental stats is another reason why I hate the standard aging penalty system).

Justyn
2008-10-04, 07:40 AM
Could using the Perminancy spell (or any other spells) stop it from being Dispelled? I think I made my Eternal Youth spell so that it couldn't be reversed at all (I'll check what I wrote down for it).

EDIT: I posted the wrong link. Here's the correct one: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72146&highlight=eternal+youth . I'll alter it so that it can't be reversed at all.

If you want it as completely unreversable, make the duration as Instantaneous. Instantaneous spells cannot be dismissed.

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-04, 07:44 AM
Thanks. Would that work for this kind of spell, though?

Cheesegear
2008-10-04, 07:54 AM
Not that I can think of. Maybe you can make a custom magic item that replicates the Druid effect?

If you can't find it, make it up. Or politely ask your DM if you can have one. I had one once for one of my BBEG Lieutenants, he had a Ring of Agelessness...That is, until the rogue Sleight of Handed it off of him, and he crumbled to dust.

Calinero
2008-10-04, 08:39 AM
There's always the old standby of becoming a vampires. Vampires live forever from what I understand, until they're killed by PC's.

Pie Guy
2008-10-04, 09:31 AM
But this thread is about magic items, and I know one.

It's called a phylactery, and the best part is that "there are exceptions" to the always evil rule.:smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2008-10-04, 09:37 AM
But the exceptions don't get the Fear aura.

You could always pull the infinite-cast trick with a Psion that has permanent Timeless Body, eliminating not only aging, but everything else. Like damage.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-04, 06:38 PM
Necropolitan only costs a level and a few thousand XP, and makes you undead-lite.

mabriss lethe
2008-10-05, 02:38 AM
get yourself a straightrazor of souldrinking (I think, regardless, it's in BoVD.) knick yourself shaving in the mirror a few times. presto, you're a wight and you no longer age.

Merlon
2008-10-05, 03:13 AM
Well.....

I'd suggest using templates. Undead, construct, deitic... anything that basically negates any troubles from aging. Spells, items (soulsifts, polymorphs, rings of unaging, et cetera) usually cause extra problems with inevitables. If your DM doesn't use those critters, go ahead. Let yourself be painted at the same artist who drew a picture of Dorian Gray

Philosophers Stone is a way. Or some Ravenloft-based curse.

jcsw
2008-10-05, 03:29 AM
Getting ahold of a scarab of death will stop you from aging...

Waspinator
2008-10-05, 03:45 AM
If anime has taught me anything, you need a red stone and to practice your clapping skills.

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-05, 03:50 AM
What do you mean by that, Waspinator?

Tokiko Mima
2008-10-05, 04:19 AM
You need a scroll of Steal Life (eighth level Evil Sor/Wiz spell from BoVD pg. 106) (3,000gp), a scroll of desecrate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/desecrate.htm) (200gp), a wand of Restoration (26,000gp) and an assistant able to use the wand.

Now find a hapless peasant willing to endure a night of sheer agony for a tidy sum of money (or if you're evil, kidnap something at random and knock it unconscious.) On the night of the full moon, begin draining the peasant/victim while you have your assistant restore him/her as necessary to prevent death. You'll grow younger by a week every round, meaning you'll get a year younger for every 5 minutes or so. Unless you're an elf or other super long lived race, you should be able to become as young as you want in a single night, and you have literally years to recover more funds to do it again.

If anime has taught me anything, you need a red stone and to practice your clapping skills.

I don't think the Philosopher's Stone works that way. It can ressurect the dead and transfer minds around, but it never stopped someone from aging. Neat reference though! :smallwink:

Bayar
2008-10-05, 05:29 AM
What do you mean by that, Waspinator?

Fullmetal alchemist reference...

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-05, 05:32 AM
Thanks (anime hurts my eyes, so I don't watch it). Would my Eternal Youth spell work well for this purpose?

Merlon
2008-10-05, 03:25 PM
Well.... considering the Full Metal Alchemist, the philosophers stone wont make you young again. On the other hand, common mythology says that it will do exactly that(besides gold). Trouble is ... it is quite hard to make. Even in animes.

That lifeforce draining works too. Reminds me Magisters from "Feast of Souls" trilogy.

PhallicWarrior
2008-10-05, 07:31 PM
In one of the last print editions of Dragon Magazine, there was an article on ancient characters that included the Eternal supernatural quality. The main way to get this quality was to get a spell (also from that article) cast on you and a small, expensive trinket. Not ideal, or even possible before 17th level (it was a ninth level spell), but it works. You still need to eat and sleep, though.

Aquillion
2008-10-05, 08:51 PM
Whether PAO and other form-changing spells would work is debatable. They have a specific list of the things they grant you (ultimately inhereted from Alter Self, but expanded at each step); I doubt age or age-progression are anywhere in there.

The way aging and maximum lifespan works is never made clear anyway. It might be that if you were born into a specific race, say, you are 'fated' to die after a set number of years, and nothing (that doesn't specifically address it) can change that.

Even if you turn into a dragon, even if you change your type, you're still underneath all that a human turned into a dragon (with various dragon abilities applies to you as per the rules used for the method you used to change.)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-05, 09:00 PM
Whether PAO and other form-changing spells would work is debatable. They have a specific list of the things they grant you (ultimately inhereted from Alter Self, but expanded at each step); I doubt age or age-progression are anywhere in there.

The way aging and maximum lifespan works is never made clear anyway. It might be that if you were born into a specific race, say, you are 'fated' to die after a set number of years, and nothing (that doesn't specifically address it) can change that.

Even if you turn into a dragon, even if you change your type, you're still underneath all that a human turned into a dragon (with various dragon abilities applies to you as per the rules used for the method you used to change.)If you're going to be that way, then just True Mind Switch.

Kaiyanwang
2008-10-06, 10:55 AM
There should be a fountain in Serpent Kingdoms. Has other effects on arcane spellcasters, too, but is an ARTIFACT.

In other words, if you are a DM and you need a way to make ageless your PCs,
a quest to find it is a way.

If you are a PC trying to become ageless.. is more complicated.

Glimbur
2008-10-06, 11:43 AM
You can get sorta-ageless using Reincarnate, which brings you back as a young adult of some species. There might be a version that doesn't lose a level but only works the round after you die like Revivify. Then Polymorph Any Object might be able to get you back to your ideal race, I don't know exactly how it works.

Just pray you don't roll a 100, or the DM gets free reign...

Zeful
2008-10-06, 12:14 PM
You can get sorta-ageless using Reincarnate, which brings you back as a young adult of some species. There might be a version that doesn't lose a level but only works the round after you die like Revivify. Then Polymorph Any Object might be able to get you back to your ideal race, I don't know exactly how it works.

Just pray you don't roll a 100, or the DM gets free reign...

Actually the spell specifies that you can cast wish to return to your former body, it never says anything about age, so theoretically you could kill yourself at venerable at Level 20, have a druid reincarnate you and then you wish yourself into a your former (now young) body. Or if the DM does mess with you with 100 by giving you a form without a mouth and arms (shriekers are a good example I think) then you get more advanced.

1) Buy/make two rings of spell storing (capable of storing 10 levels of spells)
2) Have your druid friend cast reincarnate into yours while you cast wish into theirs.
3) Kill yourself.
4) Have the druid reincarnate you. If you can't wish yourself back into your former body, the druid will.
5) Kill the druid.
6) Cast reincarnate from the ring. Wish them back into their original form.
7) Repeat step 2.
8) ???
9) Profit!

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-06, 12:14 PM
There is a level 8 Coccoon-type spell which works like that, but it can be cast up to a few rounds after the target dies. I mentioned True Reincarnate earlier as well.

Piggy Knowles
2008-10-06, 12:22 PM
I find this being the second time I've referenced the spell today, but...

Astral Projection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/astralProjection.htm). Your body is placed in suspended animation, and you have a complete and exact Astral double. Even if that Astral double is killed, you wake up in your original body.

Sure, it's a 9th-level spell, but it's permanent until your body or silver cord is destroyed. An item that can cast that would effectively stop aging. Or you could go with one of the many routes to getting it done early (easiest and earliest being to use Lesser Planar Binding to bind a Nightmare, which gets Astral Projection at will with no silly material requirements - can be done by level 9).

Lapak
2008-10-06, 12:22 PM
Which makes no sense at all based on their fluff. They literally rebuild their bodies with psychic energy on a daily basis. What they should have done is said that Elan's aren't effected by aging in any way. Or just remove the physical aging penalties and strongly recommend that they not be allowed to start above 150 years old or so.

The other problem is how slowly their mental attributes increase. It takes then a thousand years to gain the same benefits a human gains in 70 years, despite the fact that they are just altered humans. One would really think that the Elan who has survived a thousand years would be just a mite wiser than the human who has survived 70, and that the one who has survived a hundred thousand years is just a mite wiser still.If I needed to adjust the fluff to account for this, I'd just say that their brute-force reconstruction of their physical form on a regular basis retards the gradual restructuring of the brain that leads to greater intelligence and wisdom. After all, if you're constantly resetting your physical form to yesterday, you're resetting your brain as well. They can allow for those adjustments, but only very gradually if they don't want to mess up their anti-aging methods.