PDA

View Full Version : How do people become mods...

RBPRX1204
2005-04-06, 07:03 PM
and what kind of obligations do they have? I've just got way too much time on my hands, and I've always wondered if there was anything besides the fact that they probably work for Giant. Just wondering. Peace!

SalSar_Thiran
2005-04-06, 07:12 PM
I'm pretty sure the mod aren't looking for more volunteers. But if they are I would think they just privately ask. And then promote you if they gotrsome assurances.

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-04-06, 07:15 PM
When I first joined, I think Rich and RawBear were the only Mods on the board. Around that same time, though, the board underwent a growth spurt (of which I suppose I was part of) that made it impractical for just two Mods to try and run things. It's kind of amusing now, because the growth was from 150 to 300 members, and there are just under 3000 members now.

So, in any case, Rich decided to get a few more mods to help out, and put up an open call for them. He then chose the new mods from those interested in the job. I know he also had some interest in selecting long-time members and people he knew well, for obvious reasons (dedication, trust). He also picked Baron as a "new blood" moderator to balance out all the old hands he had picked (sounds funny to call Baron a newcomer now...). I had considered applying myself, but I hadn't been here very long and wasn't sure I wanted/could handle the responsibility. Here's the now locked thread (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=banter;action=display;num=1083869597 ;start=) where the new mods were announced.

If Rich needs new mods, I'm sure he'll put up another call for them, or possibly just ask somone(s) he may have in mind already.

As for specific responsibilities/obligations, I'll let some actual mods fill you in on that ;)

RawBearNYC
2005-04-06, 08:55 PM
Since I'm the mod here, I guess it falls to me to answer :P

What Gorbash said is right.

Our responsibilities are to read every post and make sure that A) The rules of posting (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1064187174) are followed. and B) to cleverly nudge people back on topic on a thread.

We also field questions and help handle disputes between members.

I tip my hat to (and personally thank) Bogotter, Baron, Wampax and xthemage. I got off easy with the lightest forum on the boards, those guys really take the brunt of the abuse.

RBPRX1204
2005-04-06, 09:18 PM
Thanks, all. I appreciate the responces (sp?). I was just curious about it, as well as being willing and able, although you folks have things well in hand right now. Agani, thanks.

WampaX
2005-04-06, 09:41 PM
We also need to Thread wrangle sometimes, herding threads to a more appropriate forum, hogtieing and branding certain uncivil threads, and sometimes even sending certain posters to the abattoir.

I would like to say that these forums are one of the most amiable that I have seen and I can only attribute that to the posters.

[Cue barbarians breaking down the gates, burning torches at the ready]

Grey Watcher
2005-04-08, 06:54 PM
[Cue barbarians breaking down the gates, burning torches at the ready]

[breaks gate down, runs in wielding torch and pitchfork]

OMFG!!!1111!!!11 lolthegaint ROXORS!!!!1111 OOOOTs pWNSSS ohtre wbcpmix111!!!!!!!but allu l05erz can [CENSORED] me!!11

[runs off to spread 1337-style chaos throught cyberspace]

(I apologize, I just couldn't resist.)

WampaX
2005-04-08, 06:58 PM
The 133t speak caught me off guard, but, yeah . . . that's basically it. :P

Edalmri
2005-04-08, 07:35 PM
We also need to Thread wrangle sometimes, herding threads to a more appropriate forum, hogtieing and branding certain uncivil threads, and sometimes even sending certain posters to the abattoir.

What's an abattoir?

Zorg
2005-04-08, 07:50 PM
A slaughterhouse.

Zherog
2005-04-08, 08:39 PM
Zorg is correct, but for future reference dictionary.com is your friend (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abattoir).

sktarq
2005-04-08, 08:39 PM
But it makes you wonder how many have been sent there.

RBPRX1204
2005-04-08, 08:52 PM
I didn't want to chance it, so I didn't ask what it was. Peace, out 8)

Edalmri
2005-04-08, 08:55 PM
Zorg is correct, but for future reference dictionary.com is your friend (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abattoir).

I thought it wasn't English so I didn't check the dictionary.

sktarq
2005-04-08, 09:07 PM
Both the Normans and Mary queen of Scots brought many french words and their dirivitives the English language verdant is based off the french Verde (for green) It seemed to carry over best in subjects that were not great for casual discussion, or that's my perception. Garde'lou is a nasty contraction that tranliterates to "look out below" but truely translates to "I'm about to empty my chamber pot out the window-duck"

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-04-08, 09:52 PM
Sktarq is correct. The use of French based words was associated with nobility and the upper class, a the older Germanic words were associated with lower classes. Most of the longer, more "refined" words are thus French, and most profanity in English is Germanic based (lower class).

In fact, "moderator" sound like it's of French origin. I wonder what the Germanic version would have been...

Zherog
2005-04-08, 09:54 PM
In fact, "moderator" sound like it's of French origin. I wonder what the Germanic version would have been...

I'm guessing the filters would remove it. :P

WampaX
2005-04-08, 10:53 PM
But it makes you wonder how many have been sent there.

At least 1, Less than the <current member count>.

As for the "abattoir", we mods do try to bring a little culture to these proceedings.

sktarq
2005-04-09, 05:55 PM
I could slide for California Surf or Glaswigian Barroom culture in here too if you want but i don't think the filters would let me. "Culture" like it has to be snooty or French! Sheesh :P

pumpkinetics
2005-04-10, 11:49 PM
I see the moderaters ascertain a certain degree of verisimilitude to the pioneering days of northern america.

I mean, aren't we all just livestock being guided to the gate by the sheepdogs?

The Giant
2005-04-17, 12:22 AM
Another function of the moderators is to politely nudge a thread that has devolved wildly from its intended topic.
Like this one. Let's drop the discussion of French words, OK?

To answer the original question, if you think you have the time to become a moderator and would like to give it a shot, feel free to send me an email at [email protected] (include your screen name, too). Keep in mind that you will be assigned one or more boards, and will basically need to read every thread on that board at least 4 days a week. And the more, the better. As Wampa says, we run one of the most civil D&D boards around, mostly through a "zero tolerance" stance on personal slams, so you should be prepared to politely enforce the rules without getting too "controlly" about it.

We've had a lot of growth, and I am thinking of adding 2-3 new mods by the end of May, so this isn't just a waste of time, too.

HempRope
2005-04-17, 09:51 AM
WOW... new Mods... :o

Major developments are afoot!

I'll be sure to tune in later to see the fate of Uthmah, The Prospective Mod.

EDIT:
I was scrolling down to see how to spell Uthmah. And I noticed that on the reply screen, where, you know, it lists all of the posts in the thread, his name was still RBPwhatever.
Why is this?
Are there other Places Where Names Remain Unchanged?!!!

EDIT2:
I suppose that might be a topic for a new thread, but
a)It would be a pretty lame thread, &
b)I have never before created a thread, and would sort of like to keep it that way, as a matter of pride

SalSar_Thiran
2005-04-17, 02:29 PM
It's his registered name. He can change his screen name how ever he wants.

HempRope
2005-04-17, 02:36 PM
Aaah... that makes sense.
Well, mostly.
Why doesn't it change on the reply screen?

[You mods can nudge us away from this whenever... I feel very nudgeable right now.]

RBPRX1204
2005-04-17, 11:12 PM
Yeah, my wife got me started with the whole rxrbp thing to start with. I twisted it when we separated and I needed new e-mail addresses hence rbprx1204. I like to keep pretty consistant, so most boards I'm on have me as such, but after taking stabbity death for having a screen name that was unpronouncable, I went with my d&D character's name.