PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Firefox

Castaras
2008-10-04, 09:46 AM
No idea what's doing it, but on this forum, normally when I'm first going on the forums in the morning after turning on my computer, I find I'm not logged on.

I don't log out, I check the "logged in forever" checkbox, and I still end up logged out.

This is also happening to me on other forums and sites I go on...=S

Any ideas? Using Firefox 2, and Windows XP, if that helps any.

Adumbration
2008-10-04, 09:58 AM
Check out whether your firefox is set to delete all cookies when it shuts down. Tools --> settings.

Castaras
2008-10-04, 10:05 AM
Couldn't find much about cookies, other than it saying that private data isn't set to be cleared when I close firefox.

And it isn't when I close firefox that I log out. I've closed and reopened firefox many times today and I'm still logged in.

RTGoodman
2008-10-04, 11:53 AM
Maybe your computer or something is blocking cookies? Try Tool -> Options -> Privacy, and then make sure you accept cookies from sites. If you don't want to allow all cookies, you can make this site (http://www.giantitp.com) an exception that's always allowed.

That and Adumbration's suggestions were all I could think of, though, so hopefully one of them will work.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-10-04, 04:18 PM
No idea what's doing it, but on this forum, normally when I'm first going on the forums in the morning after turning on my computer, I find I'm not logged on.

I don't log out, I check the "logged in forever" checkbox, and I still end up logged out.

*also uses Firefox 2 and Windows XP*
I´ve never had this problem before...

Maybe do a virus scan or something?

Castaras
2008-10-04, 04:31 PM
Cookies are set not to expire at all. Added in an allowed exception for Giantitp anyway, will see what that does when I go to sleep tonight.

streakster
2008-10-04, 05:17 PM
I have never had this problem. Hmm.

Try this - Log in to the Giantitp forums with Firefox, and IE. Next day, see whether you are logged in still, and with which browser.

That'll narrow it down to either a browser problem, or something else.

Also, what extensions do you have?

Eldpollard
2008-10-04, 05:24 PM
YOu could always update to ff3. Don't know if it'll fix anything, but it's nice anyway.

Castaras
2008-10-05, 03:27 AM
Hmm, well it seems to have not logged me out this morning. I'll keep watching this, just in case anything else happens...

However, it has logged me out of another site. *hmm* *tries doing an allowance exception for the other site*

crimson77
2008-10-05, 08:43 PM

I am having the same problem on windows vista. Except every time I close firefox I loose my data. I have made giantitp.com an exception and have chosen not to delete cookies when I log off.

I have never had this problem. Hmm.

Try this - Log in to the Giantitp forums with Firefox, and IE. Next day, see whether you are logged in still, and with which browser.

That'll narrow it down to either a browser problem, or something else.

Also, what extensions do you have?

It does not occur with IE and I do not have the same problem on my other computer with Firefox and windows vista.

YOu could always update to ff3. Don't know if it'll fix anything, but it's nice anyway.

I am using firefox 3.03 and still getting the problem.

Anyone else have any other suggestions, I have do everything you have recommended so far.

Castaras
2008-10-06, 11:07 AM
Well, Giantitp is certainly working. One of my other sites isn't however. I'll try doing what I did with Giantitp for my other sites I lurk on.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-10-06, 11:43 AM
Is anyone using Norton 360? I had similar problems after I installed it -- every time I closed Firefox all my data was erased. Turns out Norton 360 clears Firefox for you, so even if you tell Firefox not to, Norton 360. I'm not on a computer with Norton 360, so I can't give you specific instructions, but dig around there a while. If you're not using Norton 360 I can't help you :smallfrown:

Mando Knight
2008-10-06, 12:09 PM
I use Vista and FF3, and I have to log back in every time I open the browser. It's not much of a bother, since I have Firefox remember my username and password so I only have to put in the "M" of my screen name and select the only option in the drop-down auto-complete thing...

Castaras
2008-10-06, 04:46 PM
Hmm. Well, it appeared to do it randomly just now, and I had closed firefox.

This is really weird...