PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 or 4e?

Granas3
2008-10-04, 03:05 PM
Hi.
I'm a new player to DnD, my experience being limited to the icewind dale and baldurs gate pc games, and I was wondering - which version of the game gives a "traditional" DnD experience?

:smallconfused:

Morty
2008-10-04, 03:06 PM
Depends on what do you mean by "traditional". 4ed definetly steps away from previous editions, if that's what you mean.

fractic
2008-10-04, 03:07 PM
If you really want a traditional feel maybe you should try even older editions :smallwink:

Seriously though, both 3.5 and 4e are D&D and they both have different strenghts and weaknesses. 3.5 has a lot more material available but 4e is more newbie friendly and better balanced.

Suzuro
2008-10-04, 03:08 PM
If'n you're lookin' for the Baldur's Gate DnD...I think it's second edition, but, as 3.5 is a lot closer to it than 4e is.

-Suzuro

Justyn
2008-10-04, 03:15 PM
Hi.
I'm a new player to DnD, my experience being limited to the icewind dale and baldurs gate pc games, and I was wondering - which version of the game gives a "traditional" DnD experience?

The version that you and your group find fun.

That being said, 3.5 is older and time tested, you can easily get support the vast majority of places, including third party sources. 4th is still quite new, and you are very much treading new ground with it. Both games are quite good in their own rights, but I personally find 3.5 to be better... partially because I have no experience whatsoever with 4th.

I would recommend getting basic versions of both rule sets and testing them out, and then play what you like from there.

Mando Knight
2008-10-04, 03:17 PM
Hi.

Second Edition for Baldur's Gate-type D&D. However, if you want to fast-forward a century in the Forgotten Realms (the setting of Baldur's Gate), you could try Living Realms for 4E...

Granas3
2008-10-04, 03:19 PM
I've started getting 3.5 stuff, but I'm not sure if 4e is worth looking at yet. However, I'm not really sure what kind of value is attached to old pen and paper rpgs(I'm more used to CRPGS, and most of them cost more as they age). Also, is ther any distinction between 4e and 3.5 minis?

fractic
2008-10-04, 03:26 PM
I've started getting 3.5 stuff, but I'm not sure if 4e is worth looking at yet. However, I'm not really sure what kind of value is attached to old pen and paper rpgs

3.5 isn't being printed anymore, but you might be able to get a few books cheap due to stores cleaning out stock (but that's probably very limited choice) also ebay and such.

Also, is ther any distinction between 4e and 3.5 minis?

Not at all. In fact you don't need minis at all. Lego figures, coins, dice or other tokens also work.

sonofzeal
2008-10-04, 03:55 PM
I've started getting 3.5 stuff, but I'm not sure if 4e is worth looking at yet. However, I'm not really sure what kind of value is attached to old pen and paper rpgs(I'm more used to CRPGS, and most of them cost more as they age). Also, is ther any distinction between 4e and 3.5 minis?
3.5 stuff should be fairly cheap now, and going down for a little while further. Be aware that about 90% of all the stuff from the PHB, DMG, and MM1 are all online in the d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/).

As to minis, I don't use them as a general rule. They're entirely unnecessary to enjoy the game, but they can help some times as well. I've had awesome sessions both with and without them, and don't think they're worth the money. Still, some like them.

MartinHarper
2008-10-04, 04:05 PM
If you really want a traditional feel maybe you should try even older editions :smallwink:

Original d&d is surely the most traditional. 3d6 in order, 10 foot poles, random player death, "I disbelieve the air", and so forth. Great to read about in gaming anecdotes, though I've never played it.

EvilElitest
2008-10-04, 04:10 PM
If you want the version closer to BG (excluding 2E of course) then 3E. 4E is a totally different game with a few similar names
from
EE

Torque
2008-10-04, 04:16 PM
Hi.

First edition AD&D. Available on PDF from most sites that sell RPG e-books for about $4 per book ($12 for Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide and Monster Manual). I'd recommend getting at least the PHB in hardcopy, though.

Original D&D (pre-1e AD&D) may or may not be available in PDF (I doubt it) but it's not for the feint-hearted; it is fantastic but it is not easy to get started with, although some would argue that this is why it was such fun to play - the DM was making almost everything up as s/he went along based on more or less hints from the books!

ken-do-nim
2008-10-04, 04:34 PM
First edition AD&D. Available on PDF from most sites that sell RPG e-books for about $4 per book ($12 for Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide and Monster Manual). I'd recommend getting at least the PHB in hardcopy, though.

Original D&D (pre-1e AD&D) may or may not be available in PDF (I doubt it) but it's not for the feint-hearted; it is fantastic but it is not easy to get started with, although some would argue that this is why it was such fun to play - the DM was making almost everything up as s/he went along based on more or less hints from the books!

First edition certainly fits the bill, for a newer game try: http://www.goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.htm

To me, when someone says "Authentic D&D experience" I think of an exploration game, whereas the more combat-oriented super-character WOTC versions of the game I think of as D&D variants. Still fun to be sure, but not "the real thing".

FoE
2008-10-04, 04:57 PM
If you're a new player, I recommend starting with 4E, as it's a lot easier to learn. Once you get some experience, try 3.5E and see if you like it better.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-04, 04:58 PM
They all give the traditional D&D experience. It's the only reason to play any edition of D&D in this day and age.

Morty
2008-10-04, 05:05 PM
They all give the traditional D&D experience. It's the only reason to play any edition of D&D in this day and age.

Apart from them, at least 3.5, because I haven't really played 4ed, being enjoyable combat-focused heroic RPGs?

The New Bruceski
2008-10-04, 05:07 PM
Whether it feels like whatever you consider "traditional" D&D really depends on your group, and how well you communicate to make something everyone enjoys. The edition is just the frame you hang things on. About the only thing everyone's able to agree on is that 3.5 doesn't play like 4e, but how they differ, and which is more "true" to older editions is like asking five mothers whose child is the best; some may admit flaws, but you know from the start there won't be consensus.

Kurald Galain
2008-10-04, 05:52 PM

Frankly, if you want an experience similar to the BG computer game, the answer is "none of them" :smallbiggrin:

Vortling
2008-10-04, 06:13 PM
Frankly, if you want an experience similar to the BG computer game, the answer is "none of them" :smallbiggrin:

Best answer yet. Even though the rules are encoded into game form the difference between a video game of D&D version x and the actual game play of the system is leagues apart.

Studoku
2008-10-05, 05:38 PM
Having just played 4e as a wizard, I'd say that I prefer it. 'At Will' spells are great because it means that 1st lvl mages can be useful without having to worry about running out of spells.

Granas3
2008-10-07, 05:04 PM
I think maybe instead of "traditional", "stereotypical" may be a better word.
I'm definitely going to get one of the two, but I've been reading a bit about 4e, and it seems drastically different from what I understand DnD to be.

Weezer
2008-10-07, 10:38 PM
If your looking for an experience closest to BG then you want to go for 3.5 over 4th, one key aspect that is in BG and 3.5 that 4th dropped is vancian casting which IMHO is integral to the DND experience.

kbk
2008-10-08, 06:40 PM
None are really the same as the computer games. The older ones are built off of 2nd edition, which is very different than 3rd or 3.5. 2nd edition is not worth playing anymore, unless you really want a retro feel. Being new to DnD, I assume you wouldn't know what that feel was. 2nd is also fairly unforgiving to pick up as a new player.

4th is pretty easy to pick up as a new player. I'd go with 4th.

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 06:44 PM
2E is what many today would think of as classic, since most of the video games of note were made for it or 3E, and 2E has more of those. 4E is a different - but related - game entirely that many like and some do not. 3E is a bit in-between them, but has a very different feel from all 3 of the other editions.

Xeticus
2008-10-08, 06:49 PM
3.5 is much closer to the traditional feel I think. 4e looks to me like WoTC trying to ride the World of Warcraft juggernaut. if i wanted to play an MMO I would just play an MMO and not spend $40.00 a book all over again.

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 06:51 PM
Oh boy, here we go again...

(By the way, as someone that's been MMOing since I was 11, I don't see it.)

EndlessWrath
2008-10-08, 06:58 PM
I'm not understanding...

while 3.5 (my personal favorite) has a large variety of options and is a better and more advanced system... 4th edition is very beginner friendly...which will let you have this "traditional d&d game".

Traditional d&d is about the role-playing and having fun with friends for a few hours. With either system you can have the same level of fun. Its all based on you. 4e might be a better choice because rules are easier to understand in 4e, so there is less arguing about the rules and less looking up through countless pages to find the answers. I can't think one person in my party who remembers Grappling or mounted combat rules...even the guys who specialize in it. So since its beginner friendly...it'll help you develope that bond with your friends and help you improve and work on roleplaying / dming. Thats my input anyways.
(Mind you I've only played 3.5 and 4e.)
~Wrath

DM Raven
2008-10-08, 07:12 PM
As numerous people have said, both editions have their place. Traditional, Baldur's Gate style...I would go 2nd or 3.x edition. However 4th will be getting much more support in the future and, in my opinion, has a better system for combat. 3.X has much more support currently, though that will soon change with the advent of DDI.

Also, I would recommend 4th for someone new because it's easier to learn and master both for DMs and players.

*Edit: And yes, I too feel the wave of fire forming...

Moose Fisher
2008-10-08, 07:16 PM
If you're not sure which version to try, see if you can find a local gaming group to join in for a session or two.

In terms of traditional flavor, 3.5e has the settings/descriptions you need.
4e leaves many blanks for the players to fill in, or changes the settings significantly (4e Forgotten Realms is 100 years into the future).

Choose which rules you like best, and add whatever you want.

erikun
2008-10-08, 07:22 PM
which version of the game gives a "traditional" DnD experience?
A good DM.

Outside of that, D&D 2nd edition most closely mirrors the mechanics of the Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate games, and that is the edition that both were based on. Some parts of the system can be confusing (prepare to not understand THAC0 for a long time) but the system itself is still quite usable. You can still find players, although they are a bit rare.

D&D 3.5e is "close" to the 2e ruleset, although you'll need to study both of them to really notice it. Perhaps the biggest plus to 3.5e is that you can access most of the information for the core rulebooks for free, online (http://www.d20srd.org/). There's still a lot of 3.5e gamers around, so finding a game shouldn't be too hard.

D&D 4e is the newest system. Mechanically, it's different from the previous versions of D&D, but not so much that you can't make a dwarven figther/cleric anymore - just expect it to act a bit differently. There are lots of people playing 4e right now, but unlike 3.5e, WotC is not releasing the material for free.

<edit>
If you don't want to spend your money yet, try a game of 3.5e with the free rules available and see how you like it.