PDA

View Full Version : Sp does it have a purpose?

ridly
2008-10-04, 03:26 PM
other then money what does sp do?

I was thinking sp could help by putting a sp on the tip of an arrow and shout it at a demon or devil(witch ever one silver effects) would this work?

fractic
2008-10-04, 03:28 PM
I was thinking sp could help by putting a sp on the tip of an arrow and shout it at a demon or devil(witch ever one silver effects) would this work?

That would kinda nullify the whole penetrating aspect of arrows you know.

Mad Wizard
2008-10-04, 03:32 PM

Err, money is basically the entire point of the silver piece... you might as well ask the same thing about gold or copper or platinum.

FMArthur
2008-10-04, 03:46 PM
Other than being money, what do SP do?

I was thinking SP could be used by putting one on the tip of an arrow and shooting it at a demon or devil (whichever one silver affects). Would this work?

I don't think I would allow it without the player making a decent Craft (arrows) check, since the coin would need to be sharpened and fitted properly to the arrow. But if the player does that well enough (DC 15-25?), then sure, I'd let a player do this.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-04, 03:47 PM
You might as well ask what the purpose of a dime is. It's essentially the same thing.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-10-04, 04:13 PM
Melting down the silver and coating the arrowhead in it is also feasible, since silver has a relatively low melting point (less than that of the notoriously flimsy gold, at any rate).

Tengu_temp
2008-10-04, 04:28 PM
Put three silver pieces between your fingers and punch a werewolf.

BRC
2008-10-04, 04:31 PM

Does it really need to do anything else?

Sebastian
2008-10-04, 04:59 PM

I'd let use them as sling bullets.

monty
2008-10-04, 05:04 PM
I'd wonder more about the platinum piece. Personally, I've never seen one used in game. Has anybody actually used them?

Fax Celestis
2008-10-04, 05:05 PM
I'd wonder more about the platinum piece. Personally, I've never seen one used in game. Has anybody actually used them?

I do all the damn time. I find them effective bribes. Also, when you've got a DM who obsesses over weights, PP weigh a lot less than GP.

Collin152
2008-10-04, 05:05 PM
You might as well ask what the purpose of a dime is. It's essentially the same thing.

The purpose of the Dime is to kill people from the tops of buildings.
It works better than pennies.

Hal
2008-10-04, 05:10 PM
I hate to be "that guy," so I'm at least going to soften the blow with this (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=171).

Seriously.

Khosan
2008-10-04, 06:02 PM
I keep thinking 'porpoise' when I see the title.

Anyway, I think the OP was wondering if you could use SP as an improvised ammunition to overcome DR. Creative, but I don't think it would work since I doubt they mint alchemical silver coins.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-04, 06:16 PM
Normal silver works against creatures with DR X/silver too - it's just that weapons are made from alchemical silver, because ordinary silver is too soft to make a good sword.

Vazzaroth
2008-10-04, 06:37 PM
I keep thinking 'porpoise' when I see the title.

Anyway, I think the OP was wondering if you could use SP as an improvised ammunition to overcome DR. Creative, but I don't think it would work since I doubt they mint alchemical silver coins.

I know, I thought we were going to talk about the SPelling of Porpoises.

Anyway, speaking of Platinum, I make Mithral (100 GP) and Adamantium (1K) pieces in my game. If only for the fact that toting around gold has been an issue that bugged me. I also instituted a banking system with Bank Notes that works like a debit card and checks combined.

And it appears Wizards agreed with me, since they added the Astral Dust and Diamonds.

Jack_Simth
2008-10-04, 06:51 PM
I know, I thought we were going to talk about the SPelling of Porpoises.

Initially, I thought it was going to be about Spell-like abilities (shortened to (sp) in the monster manual entries), myself, and why the distinction from actual spellcasting.

Anyway, speaking of Platinum, I make Mithral (100 GP) and Adamantium (1K) pieces in my game. If only for the fact that toting around gold has been an issue that bugged me. I also instituted a banking system with Bank Notes that works like a debit card and checks combined.

And it appears Wizards agreed with me, since they added the Astral Dust and Diamonds.

Wizards have had "trade goods" and "art objects" for a very, very long time. All those gold statues, silver flutes, silver combs, and the like that show up on the random generation tables? By the book, those are cash by a different name. They're trade goods. Gems too.

Vazzaroth
2008-10-04, 06:54 PM
Oh, I know about trade goods, but generally those are retrieved by the PCs, then sold for GP, at least in all the games I've seen. It's in 4th, they flat out said "Astral Diamonds are Currency."

skywalker
2008-10-04, 07:31 PM
Wizards have had "trade goods" and "art objects" for a very, very long time. All those gold statues, silver flutes, silver combs, and the like that show up on the random generation tables? By the book, those are cash by a different name. They're trade goods. Gems too.

I've always seen even some of the straight gold in a treasure hoard as jewelery, etc. I've always like the idea of adventurers being covered in jewelry where they carried a lot of their wealth, since pickpockets are everywhere and you can trade an earring as easy as you can a coin.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-04, 07:41 PM
I've always seen even some of the straight gold in a treasure hoard as jewelery, etc. I've always like the idea of adventurers being covered in jewelry where they carried a lot of their wealth, since pickpockets are everywhere and you can trade an earring as easy as you can a coin.It would be interesting to see a world(Ebberron and Faerun are the likely suspects) where +1 items were always sold for their actual value, because anyone can sell them to a n00b party for market price.

Randel
2008-10-04, 09:59 PM
make holy water with it

TheElfLord
2008-10-04, 11:46 PM
Here I thought I was entering a thread about spelling (Sp) with a deliberate joke by misspelling the title. I'm kinda disappointed.

I'm going to presume the OP meant "what else can a sp be used for besides money?" Instead of "other than money what does sp do?" Wow just typing that made me feel bad. I think this was a what cool ideas can we come up with thread gone wrong.

Dentarthur
2008-10-05, 12:18 AM
Use them as sling bullets.
Drop one down a cliff or well and time the descent to see how deep it is.
Cast Prestidigitation to pass them off as gold pieces.
Use them as weights on a scale to determine some object's mass to within 1/50 of a pound.
Put them under the legs of wobbly furniture to stabilize it.
After decades of studying the most forbidden reaches of the arcane arts, become a lich. Make a silver piece your phylactery. Put an expensive, magical amulet in some well-protected place in your lair to fool adversaries. Leave the coin in a pile somewhere, where it will likely be overlooked, thus ensuring your continued existence.
Pass the time with "throw the silver piece into the beerstein" contests.

Kyace
2008-10-05, 12:21 AM
10 Uses for 10 sp.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
10 Cast Explosive Runes on them
9 Buy a goat, wait until the wizard fall asleep and put it in bed with him.
8 Sharpen, put in the brim of your hat. Surprise the next werewolf you see.
7 Obtain two pounds of soap, ask your dwarf to identify this strange new rock.
6 Purchase 5 chickens and start a ****-fighting ring.
5 Buy a bucket and talk your druid into wildshaping into a walrus
4 Hire a boy to follow you around for a week, carrying a banner with rude words written in Elvish.
3 Joust with two 10-foot poles.
2 Spot weld a bell to the back of the figher's full plate.
1 Use it for a tip. When your allies toss a half a pound of gold to the serving wench, subtly ask how far she made it on her way home before she was mugged.

BobVosh
2008-10-05, 12:44 AM
10 Uses for 10 sp.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
10 Cast Explosive Runes on them
9 Buy a goat, wait until the wizard fall asleep and put it in bed with him.
8 Sharpen, put in the brim of your hat. Surprise the next werewolf you see.
7 Obtain two pounds of soap, ask your dwarf to identify this strange new rock.
6 Purchase 5 chickens and start a ****-fighting ring.
5 Buy a bucket and talk your druid into wildshaping into a walrus
4 Hire a boy to follow you around for a week, carrying a banner with rude words written in Elvish.
3 Joust with two 10-foot poles.
2 Spot weld a bell to the back of the figher's full plate.
1 Use it for a tip. When your allies toss a half a pound of gold to the serving wench, subtly ask how far she made it on her way home before she was mugged.

I do believe you have just won this internet. Keep it in a safe place *hands over 1 internet(s).

Nerd-o-rama
2008-10-05, 12:49 AM
I do believe you have just won this internet. Keep it in a safe place *hands over 1 internet(s).*mugs Kyace on the way home*

Malicte
2008-10-05, 12:55 AM

I think we're all missing the point of this thread, which is that Tengu's suggestion is THE MOST EPIC THING EVER SAID.

chiasaur11
2008-10-05, 01:02 AM
I think we're all missing the point of this thread, which is that Tengu's suggestion is THE MOST EPIC THING EVER SAID.

No.

I mean, sure, it's epic, but...

Compare it to the time Dr McNinja punched Dracula, and it lacks a certain pizazz, you know?

The most epic thing ever is the following:

Dr McNinja and CIAPHAS CAIN, in the TTGL, fighting giant robot Hitler.

Or that one thing on Red Mage's letter column with all the Lincolns and the T Rex.

bosssmiley
2008-10-05, 06:00 AM

You mean other than it failing hard against DR1/silver (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#silverAlchemical)? :smallamused:

Unenriched (non-alchemical) silver is good for bribing yokels, offending devils and making tableware. Other than that I got nothing.

Morty
2008-10-05, 07:35 AM
Silver and copper pieces are great light sources. Cast Light on them, toss them in the middle of the room and voila.

Kaihaku
2008-10-05, 07:44 AM
I guess they could be ground up for spell components. *shrug*

Jastermereel
2008-10-05, 04:43 PM
Use them as sling bullets.
After decades of studying the most forbidden reaches of the arcane arts, become a lich. Make a silver piece your phylactery. Put an expensive, magical amulet in some well-protected place in your lair to fool adversaries. Leave the coin in a pile somewhere, where it will likely be overlooked, thus ensuring your continued existence.

Aren't projectiles destroyed if they hit (and 50% of the time if they miss, or something like that)? Wouldn't this duo result in some very very unhappy liches out there?

kamikasei
2008-10-05, 04:49 PM
You mean other than it failing hard against DR1/silver (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#silverAlchemical)? :smallamused:

Unenriched (non-alchemical) silver is good for bribing yokels, offending devils and making tableware. Other than that I got nothing.

Ahem.

A complex process involving metallurgy and alchemy can bond silver to a weapon made of steel so that it bypasses the damage reduction...

Alchemical silver is what makes a steel weapon count as silver for DR purposes. The alchemy is in bonding it to the weapon, it's the silver that is effective.

Brauron
2008-10-05, 06:31 PM

I see I'm not the only one who is a fan of the novel "That Darn Squid God."

Leon
2008-10-05, 08:14 PM
Silver and copper pieces are great light sources. Cast Light on them, toss them in the middle of the room and voila.
Summon String Instrument's material component

JupiterPaladin
2008-10-05, 09:06 PM

I've done similar things in my campaigns too. I allow PCs to purchase writs from kingdom treasuries that can be redeemed in major cities within the same kingdom at a negligible cost. I also allow the buying and selling of gems to be at a low loss ratio or used as full value in large trades or purchases. I also use Mithral Pieces (1,000gp each) to reduce weight. It seems to make perfect sense to me that powerful merchant companies would use all of these methods of transferring large amounts of wealth, so why not the PCs? This all started 10 years ago when one of my favorite characters lost a massive Bag of Holding with 175,000gp worth of coinage and artworks. Due to a misinterpretation by that DM, he allowed the contents to pour out onto the roof of an ancient temple ruin, caving it in... you know, instead of reversing the bag destruction because he was wrong :smallmad: So any way, we took 4 months of character time transporting carts of gold many weeks away to Cormyr and turning them into larger valued gems. The entire treasure pile was turned into a single 1ft x 6in x 8in jewel box packed with very valuable gems. It was easy to carry and did not depend on magic. Since then I've stuck with that type of thought instead of passing out magic bags all the time. :smallsmile:

Cuddly
2008-10-05, 10:30 PM
Are these Eberron porpoises or something?

There's this one:
http://www.technovelgy.com/graphics/content06/darpa-shark.jpg

But I think that uses psi-like abilities.