PDA

View Full Version : ICQ Number

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-27, 02:55 PM
What is an ICQ number?

Grey Watcher
2005-03-27, 03:35 PM
ICQ is/was one a flurry of instant messaging services that sprung up (or at least into popularity) in the mid-nineties. Unlike others, ICQ (I Seek You) assigned you a number, instead of letting you create a screenname.

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-27, 04:23 PM
Interesting, thanks Grey Watcher

Arian
2005-03-27, 06:44 PM
ICQ is/was one a flurry of instant messaging services that sprung up (or at least into popularity) in the mid-nineties. Unlike others, ICQ (I Seek You) assigned you a number, instead of letting you create a screenname.

That could suggest that you have to use this number in place of a name, which isn't so. You can call yourself (and your contacts) whatever you want to on ICQ.

An ICQ number is more like a phone number or an ID number - it's the way ICQ keeps track of which poster you are, and thus which message history is yours etc.

That way, you can call yourself literally whatever you like, because names aren't attached to any particular identity; no-one has "got that name before you".

Giving someone your ICQ no. is like giving them your phone no. - telling them what number to "ring" so as to put you on their list of contacts.

clarkcd
2005-03-27, 07:10 PM
I absolutely love that feature of ICQ. It's the only IM software I know of that doesn't assign names, preventing people from getting the good ones and forcing people to put numbers at the end of their name.

Grey Watcher
2005-03-28, 02:09 AM
That could suggest that you have to use this number in place of a name, which isn't so. You can call yourself (and your contacts) whatever you want to on ICQ.

An ICQ number is more like a phone number or an ID number - it's the way ICQ keeps track of which poster you are, and thus which message history is yours etc.

That way, you can call yourself literally whatever you like, because names aren't attached to any particular identity; no-one has "got that name before you".

Giving someone your ICQ no. is like giving them your phone no. - telling them what number to "ring" so as to put you on their list of contacts.

Eh, sorry about that. Never got into ICQ.