Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 22, Int -, Wis 5, Cha 21
Skills Concentration +20
Feats
Environment
Organization Singular
Challenge Rating X
Alignment Always Neutral
Advancement None

Sliding over the ground is something...strange. You almost feel like you can't see it, despite it being a very obvious small black blob outlined with purple oozing it's way along the ground. It looks kind of like it doesn't exist, like a hole in the ground, except it clearly isn't...

Nobody knows the exact origins of oozes of annihilation. Some believe it was the crazy experiments of some powerful wizard, some believe it was a practical joke of some sinister god, and feel it was simply a horrific magical accident, but the only thing understood is what they are: melted, animated, orbs of annihilation. Most hypothesize that their creation was intentional, as they secrete a fluid, known by most as antihilation fluid, which cancels out the effects of annihilation and is the only thing stopping them from sinking through whatever they move over.

Annihilation: Anything touched by an ooze of annihilation is...annihilated. Oozes of annihilation have enough control over their antihilation fluid to touch somebody where there is none on their form, making the touch of an annihilation ooze suck any matter into the void, utterly destroying it.

Any physical object that strikes an annihilation ooze against its will has a 50% chance of being sufficiently coated in the oozes antihilation fluid to not be destroyed.

Mental Self-Projection: An ooze of annihilation can attempt to project itself the same way a sphere of annihilation is used. It makes a control check, DC 20 (a move action). A control check is 1d20 + the ooze's HD (18). If the check succeeds, the ooze can move itself through the air at a speed of 10 ft. +5 ft for every 5 points by which the control check exceeded 20. This lasts one round, and can be done 5 times/day.

This form of movement allows an ooze of annihilation to move more than 30 ft. in one round, or to charge (see Antihilation Fluid below).

Antihilation Fluid: Oozes of annihilation are coated in a viscous purple fluid which negates the effects of annihilation. An ooze of annihilation cannot move more than 30 ft. over the ground in one round or its antihilation secretion cannot keep up with the ground covered, and it would sink.

When an ooze of annihilation reaches 0 hit points it vanishes completely out of existence, leaving a stain of antihilation fluid which evaporates within 1 minute unless bottled. One ooze of annihilation leaves enough fluid for one bottle, which can be smeared over a medium sized object to protect it from all annihilation effects for one hour.

[hr]
I was kind of worried about this one, because annihilation isn't something one can easily throw at a party.

I'm still not sure if it is particularly balanced, or if I should shift everything upwards in terms of HD, etc, such that all of it's stats will be more proportional to a party strong enough to combat annihilation.

Not sure about the CR either, as such. VT's calculator doesn't really work here, as the annihilation is hard to measure. (It returns 13)

Baron Corm
2008-10-05, 01:09 AM
This ooze will destroy your average fighter-type who tries to melee it, and possibly an unprepared ranged attacker who doesn't realize it can fling itself. Therefore, definitely an epic CR, and from that point I have no idea.

If you took away the psionic fling, maybe it could be CR 17-20, but it has the same misgivings as a rust monster. If it touches you, you lose, and that sucks as a player.

Vaynor
2008-10-05, 07:52 AM
It's HP is rather large for something immune to almost every attack (excluding spells).

Here's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/umbralBlot.htm) something to go by for CR.

Icewalker
2008-10-05, 01:17 PM
I knew of the Umbral Blot, but I didn't know it gives you a save (Sphere of Annihilation doesn't, I believe). I should add a save to it to balance it out.

Eurus
2008-10-05, 06:37 PM
...If it can control itself telepathically, does that mean someone else could try to move it around as well? Perhaps with a Talisman of the Sphere, at least, if not ordinarily? If that was the case, they might be good bodyguards for an arcanist fortunate enough to come across a Talisman...

Texas Jedi
2008-10-06, 11:17 AM
...If it can control itself telepathically, does that mean someone else could try to move it around as well? Perhaps with a Talisman of the Sphere, at least, if not ordinarily? If that was the case, they might be good bodyguards for an arcanist fortunate enough to come across a Talisman...

I wouldn't allow the control over them. I would make it have an immense hatred of anybody wearing a Talisman of the Sphere. I would make it attack the TotS holder at the expense of all other threats even if that threat is greater. That could be made into the history of the creature.

On another note I would lower the HP's or allow a save. It is a small creature so I would place it's hit points as around 50-100 range.

Then maybe allow it a chance to annihilate any spell that targets it directly.

EDIT: That would allow it to keep its epic difficulty but still be fair agianst the player.