PDA

View Full Version : 4e character help. Need idea for a character.

EndlessWrath
2008-10-05, 12:07 AM
UPDATE: So here's the update. On the team (3/5 members are complete... we built characters today.. I haven't made mine... cause I had the only one book.. and I had 2 hours... ) anyways...

on the team is :
-a custom made...half-abyssal thing.. He made up his own class...apparently nothing like any other class.
-an Eladrin Wizard (pure battle-mage.)
-(custom-made) Vampire-hybrid Fighter, possibly named FI-TOR.

------
My main focus is a Charisma based warrior. some mix kinda thing between:
Paladin/Warlock.
Paladin/Warlord (more favorable.)
Warlord/Paladin.
Cleric/Warlord.

I'm thinking of making my guy a Dragonborn... but all races are acceptable. I'm looking for a buff bot/stiker. possibly defendish. Also. scores are 18/16/14/14/12/10, and I'm sixth level. Any suggestions on a build or good ideas for the mechanics of the character would be highly wanted.

NOTE: this is not a bash 4e thread. I don't care whether you like 4th edition or not...there are plenty of boards to post your thoughts on 4e.

I need help picking a Class/character for 4e. I don't have rolls yet, but as soon as i get them I'll post them.

what I know so far is the game is planned to be a long one...like epic levels.

additionally I've only played a 4e Wizard. Custom classes are allowed as long as reviewed by DM... but I'm not really familiar with the rules. I am considering a spellcaster. but as there are only Clerics/warlocks/and wizards... I'm totally willing to play paladin... or a mix between other classes. also links to homebrew 4e classes are welcome.. but only if its ok with creator.

thanks
~Wrath

RTGoodman
2008-10-05, 12:09 AM
I'm personally having a blast playing a bodyguard-type Paladin/Warlock. Star-Pact stuff has a LOT of cool powers you can pick up, and since you'll have some Cha synergy it just makes it better. The powers and feats from the Dragon article expanding on Star-Pact Warlocks helps even more - the Starfire Womb feat lets you make an immediate saving throw every time you deal damage with a Fear or Radiant power, and as a Paladin/Warlock you'll certainly have a LOT of those.

Oh, and before the game fell apart I was really looking forward to playing a Bugbear "Barbarian" (a.k.a. Fighter with Power Attack and high-damage powers).

Vortling
2008-10-05, 12:13 AM
If you don't have any preference at all, might I suggest rolling a d8. Perhaps if you could give us an idea of what types of characters you like to play we could give you better recommendations.

EndlessWrath
2008-10-05, 12:18 AM
If you don't have any preference at all, might I suggest rolling a d8. Perhaps if you could give us an idea of what types of characters you like to play we could give you better recommendations.

oh but I did. I said spellcaster-esque. I dun mind a paladin...but I'd prefer focusing on spellcasting. Although looking now, I'm thinking more paladin-esque or battlemage... I don't wanna really play a wizard if I can help it...

Vortling
2008-10-05, 12:20 AM
What sort of spellcasting do you like? AoE, Single Target damage, debuffs, buffs?

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-10-05, 12:23 AM
Decide which role you want to fill.

Controller: AoE enemies, and cause nasty status effects.
Classes: Wizard

Striker: Deal massive damage to one target, and either have immense mobility or the ability to strike from afar.
Classes: Rogue, Ranger, Warlock

Leader: Support your teammates, by buffing them or healing them.
Classes: Cleric, Warlord

Defender: Stick in the front lines, and keep the enemies glued to you, also able to take a lot of hits. You are the meatshield/tank.
Classes: Paladin, Fighter

The Swordmage from Forgotten Realms is also a Defender.

Here's my limited experience on a couple of classes...

Rogue: You get to move all around the battlefield, and wham enemies with your powers. It's a very fun class to play, since you have all sorts of tricks up your sleeve. For example, you can practically be Batman, with four or five different weapons you switch between. Be sure to take Quick Draw. It lets you lump a weapon draw into your attack.

Wizard: All about nuking crowds of minions. In addition, Magic Missile lets you focus fire on a single baddie who needs it.

EndlessWrath
2008-10-05, 12:35 AM
Well... honestly? My motto is to try anything. and as this will be the first normal D&D campaign I'm in.. (played tons of short-adventures)...I'm really just not interested in Nukers...

so I don't mind an idea for build for a striker/defender/leaders. I don't mind nuke spells... just don't want a build focused on such. I like to consider all my options before taking a pic. So (and i really would like one actually) a decent paladin build might be one for a striker...and then someone else might make another being a defender. ... well since I'm playing wild-card in my crew and dunno what everyone else is playing... I'm not sure which to pick.. but at least i have options.

forgot to mention. I believe the build is for 6th level... I only has PHB as well =/

The Mormegil
2008-10-05, 01:46 AM
We can help you make a character, but ideas, that's yours to think of. Read some books, watch some movies, and you'll have plenty of ideas, believe me.

Behold_the_Void
2008-10-05, 02:54 AM
Do you know what your party is looking like? Or what your setting is? That'd give us some basic groundwork with which to toss out ideas.

Kletian999
2008-10-05, 08:05 AM
A "spellcaster that's not a nuker" sounds like Wisdom (Laser) Cleric to me. Their power list is pretty varied (ground zones, summons, as well as basic blasts) so it's far more than a simple healbot.

For actual "character" ideas, read the fluff of some of the gods and see if any resonate with you, then come up with circumstances that draw you to serving that god. Same thing for paladin if you want to be more physical; though if you really want to play like a caster you'll want to multiclass to a CHA based warlock path to get an At Will spell.

EndlessWrath
2008-10-05, 12:01 PM
I apologize once more. I've never asked for help building a character...since mostly I've played DM =/ or randomed a character.

I'm looking for a rough in between of a warrior/caster. Don't want to focus on either side. I want an implement...but also be pretty handy with a sword. I'm looking for best (or just cool... I'm not looking for broke... just something fun or strong. Its gonna be a long/tough campaign) race/class combo.

The strongest idea I've seen has been warlock/paladin... but I'm willing to look through warlord (that definitely peaked my interests btw.) or combos or warlord/paladin.

I build characters in-> out. Need the stats first... when i find out his race/profession/skills/etc... I can tell you what hes been doing all his life or how he may act and his personality.

Kinda a mix between striker/buff/caster... although cleric summoning sounded cool.

Charlie Kemek
2008-10-05, 01:08 PM
what about this (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1044496)? 4e bard. leader Jack of all trades.

Zaeron
2008-10-05, 01:21 PM
what about this (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1044496)? 4e bard. leader Jack of all trades.

Double edit - was complaining about that classes at-will powers, but I just realized that the only two that are probably legitimately op is the one that forces enemies to take a penalty to attacks = to your cha modifier and the one that is dex vs ac and gives an ally a bonus equal to your dex on his next attack against the target.

IDK if I'd allow it as a DM based on those two powers though, without seriously reading thru the rest of the list. If I'm not mistaken, those two at wills are significantly stronger in terms of effect than the equivilant powers in the PHB.

Shadow_Elf
2008-10-05, 01:22 PM
Artful Dodger or Feylock are both fun to play, since the focus is on being fast and knocking guys around and running and teleporting all over the place. It makes it very unlikely you'll get cornered without any allies to help you at any given time. You could even consider multiclasing between the two of them (crazy Charisma synergy).

Arbitrarity
2008-10-05, 01:28 PM
http://wizards.com/files/365_Artificer.pdf
Artificer? Arcane Leader, although the playtest article severely lacks in powers. A focus on mobility, temporary HP, status conditions, and area of effect, it's like a warlord/wizard in some ways.

That bard's inhibiting song needs to apply only to the next attack, and then it's about on par with Furious Smash. Improvised Jab is almost as strong as Warlord's Favor, and more damaging than furious smash. Should change the stat bonus to intelligence or somesuch.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-05, 04:19 PM
Jeez, it sounds like you want to do everything.

If you have FRPG, then Swordmage sounds like exactly what you want. You use a sword, but basically everything you do is "magical" - and it's an easy MC to Wizard if you want an Implement and some more mystic utilities. Use one of the Genasi variants for maximum synergy and magic.

If you're not going to have access to the FRPG, then you should ask yourself what "role" you want to focus on the most. If you want the Striker path, then an Eladrin Warlock (or a Tiefling Feylock with proficiency in some sword) will probably make you happiest. Very magical, and definitely a front-line kind of guy.

If you want to Buff, then an Orb Wizard with MC Cleric is quite reasonable. You'll have a lot of control, and the Cleric side can give you a few buffing attacks if you want them. Eladrin, again, if you really want a sword, but Elven or Human if you want a little more power instead (and you can just use a Feat to gain proficiency in a sword, if need be).

Stat wise, you should always have a high score in your primary stat (it says what that is in the PHB), though for MC builds you'll probably want to spread out the bonuses. What kind of stat-generation system are you using?

Erk
2008-10-05, 04:31 PM
I think if you're into Warlord, you might be able to synergise a Tactical Warlord with a Wizard pretty well. Haven't statted it out myself but the Int synergy would be good. Wiz's wis reliance would be a bit of a nuisance, you basically have Str/Int/Cha for the WL and Int/Wis for the wizard, but you could easily get away with either low Cha or low Wis depending on your power choice (I'd go for higher cha myself). A warlord/orb wizard could do some very interesting stuff.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-05, 04:58 PM
I think if you're into Warlord, you might be able to synergise a Tactical Warlord with a Wizard pretty well. Haven't statted it out myself but the Int synergy would be good. Wiz's wis reliance would be a bit of a nuisance, you basically have Str/Int/Cha for the WL and Int/Wis for the wizard, but you could easily get away with either low Cha or low Wis depending on your power choice (I'd go for higher cha myself). A warlord/orb wizard could do some very interesting stuff.

There's no such thing as an MC Orb Wizard - you don't get implement mastery with MC. As such, there is no WIS requirement for this MC.

The Warlord-Wizard works fairly well, but it might be a bit more smashy than the OP wants. Basically you need high STR & INT (usually 16 each - either Eldarin or Tiefling works well here, as does Human) and you will raise both constantly as you level. Usually you'll stick with Light Armor (Hide, for the INT bonus to AC), and maybe use a Light Shield... though if you have a magic implement you might want to dual-wield 'em, since you don't have Mage Hand for easy swapping.

Tactical Warlords (TacLords) give bonuses to Initiative and To-Hit primarially, so they're not very good for boosting damage or healing (or giving saving throws). If you go Tiefling TacLord/Wizard, then you should take Scorching Burst as your bonus Encounter, and maybe use the MC Swap-outs for more AoE spells. Do keep in mind that you will be a frontline fighter, first and foremost, and that Ranged Attacks provoke OAs.

EndlessWrath
2008-10-05, 06:18 PM
So here's the update. On the team (3/5 members are complete... we built characters today.. I haven't made mine... cause I had the only one book.. and I had 2 hours... ) anyways...

on the team is :
-a custom made...half-abyssal thing.. He made up his own class...apparently nothing like any other class.

------
Paladin/Warlock.
Warlord/Paladin.
Cleric/Warlord.

I'm thinking of making my guy a Dragonborn... but all races are acceptable. I'm looking for a buff bot/stiker. possibly defendish. Also. scores are 18/16/14/14/12/10, and I'm sixth level. Any suggestions on a build or good ideas for the mechanics of the character would be extremely awesome.

Yakk
2008-10-05, 06:28 PM
I'm looking for a rough in between of a warrior/caster. Don't want to focus on either side. I want an implement...but also be pretty handy with a sword. I'm looking for best (or just cool... I'm not looking for broke... just something fun or strong. Its gonna be a long/tough campaign) race/class combo.

The strongest idea I've seen has been warlock/paladin... but I'm willing to look through warlord (that definitely peaked my interests btw.) or combos or warlord/paladin.

Try out the spellsword.

It's an arcane defender class that uses a sword to cast spells.

In the FRPG (forgotten realms player's guide).

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-05, 06:43 PM
So here's the update. On the team (3/5 members are complete... we built characters today.. I haven't made mine... cause I had the only one book.. and I had 2 hours... ) anyways...

on the team is :

------
Paladin/Warlock.
Warlord/Paladin.
Cleric/Warlord.

I'm thinking of making my guy a Dragonborn... but all races are acceptable. I'm looking for a buff bot/stiker. possibly defendish. Also. scores are 18/16/14/14/12/10, and I'm sixth level. Any suggestions on a build or good ideas for the mechanics of the character would be extremely awesome.

Well, that's an... interesting set-up.

Stats:
Paladin/Warlord
STR 16, DEX 12, CON 14, WIS 14, INT 10, CHA 18 - very stout, can use both CHA & STR powers OK. I'd say Human, for the extra At-Will and Feat. Note the DEX 12 so that you can gain access to the Heavy Blade Feats as you level (IIRC you'll need DEX 15 for Heavy Blade Opportunist at level 11), and for Shield Specialization if you decide to go Sword & Board (a very good idea). The CON is just for extra tanking :smallbiggrin:

Warlord/Paladin
STR 18, DEX 12, CON 10, WIS 14, INT 14, CHA 16 - I swapped the INT and CON because you may want to pick some of the Tactical Warlord powers (or Feats) and you'll use WIS a lot less as a Warlord. That said, the Paladin/Warlord stats would be equally as good.

I'm leaning towards Paladin/Warlord myself, since you get Plate & Heavy Shield (versus Chainmail & Light Shield), Lay on Hands, and Divine Challenge. It will be much less buffy than a Warlord/Paladin, but I think you'll be happy all the same.

Now, looking at your party list, I'd suggest a Striker, but depending on what the half-abyssal thing does you may not need it. Plus you can just swap your Bastard Sword for something larger if you want, later on.

EndlessWrath
2008-10-05, 06:47 PM
Try out the spellsword.

FRPG is a 4e book? I didn't know they came out with anything new like that yet.

Well, that's an... interesting set-up.

Stats:
Paladin/Warlord
STR 16, DEX 12, CON 14, WIS 14, INT 10, CHA 18 - very stout, can use both CHA & STR powers OK. I'd say Human, for the extra At-Will and Feat. Note the DEX 12 so that you can gain access to the Heavy Blade Feats as you level (IIRC you'll need DEX 15 for Heavy Blade Opportunist at level 11), and for Shield Specialization if you decide to go Sword & Board (a very good idea). The CON is just for extra tanking :smallbiggrin:

Warlord/Paladin
STR 18, DEX 12, CON 10, WIS 14, INT 14, CHA 16 - I swapped the INT and CON because you may want to pick some of the Tactical Warlord powers (or Feats) and you'll use WIS a lot less as a Warlord. That said, the Paladin/Warlord stats would be equally as good.

I'm leaning towards Paladin/Warlord myself, since you get Plate & Heavy Shield (versus Chainmail & Light Shield), Lay on Hands, and Divine Challenge. It will be much less buffy than a Warlord/Paladin, but I think you'll be happy all the same.

Now, looking at your party list, I'd suggest a Striker, but depending on what the half-abyssal thing does you may not need it. Plus you can just swap your Bastard Sword for something larger if you want, later on.

you have officially become my favorite person in the whole world.

Shadow_Elf
2008-10-05, 06:48 PM
Try out the spellsword.

He wants it to be CHA based. CHA is swordmage's dump stat, so that's no good.

Make a paragon multiclassing (hopefully your DM will find a way to fix it, as its currently very underpowered) Paladin + Feylock. You can then use Divine Challenge and Eyebite, which, if you focus on one enemy, gives them 1d6 (2d6 at epic) + 2/tier + 2x charisma modifier damage (eyebite hit + divine challenge punish) per turn, and a "permanent" -2 to attack rolls. Will give your DM a headache, but is guaranteed to be fun to fool around with after you get unlimited eyebite use. Great CHA synergy, decent damage, and plenty of defender options from your base class. Add Psychic Lock for additional penalties on the enemy.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-05, 08:39 PM
you have officially become my favorite person in the whole world.

So, that's a basic start. Now, for the nitty-gritty: what else did you want to have? And which version did you prefer?

Oh, and I should mention: Dragonborn is the race you'll want. They're really just the best race for pretty much everything in 4e (*sigh*) unless you're fiddling with Monster Races. In particular, they're great for Paladins, since they get +2 STR and +2 CHA... so we're looking at a:
STR 18, DEX 12, CON 14, WIS 14, INT 10, CHA 20

which you can then pimp out with the Dragonborn Feats in Dragon Magazine and/or PHB. Feat wise... I guess you'll go like this:
1 - MC Warlord
2 - Bastard Sword (for striker-y damage)
4 - (racial feat) (they're all pretty good)
6 - MC Encounter/Utility (maybe?)

Do you also want power selection?

RTGoodman
2008-10-05, 09:01 PM
For the racial feat, I might suggest Hurl Breath or whatever it's called from the Dragon article on Dragonborn. That should give you a little bit of ranged ability, which is part of the reason I like MCing as a Warlock with Paladin (hooray for Cha-based ranged attacks!).

EndlessWrath
2008-10-05, 09:12 PM
So, that's a basic start. Now, for the nitty-gritty: what else did you want to have? And which version did you prefer?

Oh, and I should mention: Dragonborn is the race you'll want. They're really just the best race for pretty much everything in 4e (*sigh*) unless you're fiddling with Monster Races. In particular, they're great for Paladins, since they get +2 STR and +2 CHA... so we're looking at a:
STR 18, DEX 12, CON 14, WIS 14, INT 10, CHA 20

which you can then pimp out with the Dragonborn Feats in Dragon Magazine and/or PHB. Feat wise... I guess you'll go like this:
1 - MC Warlord
2 - Bastard Sword (for striker-y damage)
4 - (racial feat) (they're all pretty good)
6 - MC Encounter/Utility (maybe?)

Do you also want power selection?

Dragonborn Paladin/warlord it is. I'm looking for some good team buffing abilities... while keeping good smiting from Paladin. Dragonborn seems better choice anyways... since the major deities and things worshipped in this game (i just found out) are Dragon gods... so... seems a good choice.

Power selection? I assume you mean I choose which powers i get. I will take final say... but i don't mind getting suggestions from you all.

I don't get Dragon magazine.. and dunno where to find it. so I don't have access from such. gimme a link or such if you can...

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-05, 09:38 PM
Dragonborn Paladin/warlord it is. I'm looking for some good team buffing abilities... while keeping good smiting from Paladin. Dragonborn seems better choice anyways... since the major deities and things worshipped in this game (i just found out) are Dragon gods... so... seems a good choice.

Power selection? I assume you mean I choose which powers i get. I will take final say... but i don't mind getting suggestions from you all.

I don't get Dragon magazine.. and dunno where to find it. so I don't have access from such. gimme a link or such if you can...

Just trying to see how far down you needed build advice. Sounds like you basically have your character set then.

Dragon Magazine (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dragon) is online, so you can get it by signing in - which is free, for now. It's under the Ecology of the Dragonborn.

Well... if you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, have fun! :smallbiggrin:

EndlessWrath
2008-10-06, 03:17 PM
Just trying to see how far down you needed build advice. Sounds like you basically have your character set then.

Dragon Magazine (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dragon) is online, so you can get it by signing in - which is free, for now. It's under the Ecology of the Dragonborn.

Well... if you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, have fun! :smallbiggrin:

Thank you so much! :smallbiggrin:

----
I am looking for some good powers... and since I got 2 points i can put in.. .I put one in charisma (21) and 1 in Wisdom (15) ... cause many effects have Wisdom base. Thanks for the site info as well... but now I got a second problem...

with my pally being done... I have another character I'm gonna need to build (for new friend who's joining in.) More details on that tomorrow