PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Wu Jen?

Adumbration
2008-10-05, 10:12 AM
I've never seen it in play, really. Why? Is there something wrong with it?

The Rose Dragon
2008-10-05, 10:34 AM
It's like Wizard, only weaker and with more mechanical RP restrictions. You could just play the Wizard class and say you are a wu jen.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-05, 11:59 AM
I've never seen it in play, really. Why? Is there something wrong with it?

Because it has asian overtones. Some people don't think it fits their view of fantasy.

It is a perfectly reasonable class: it doesn't have all the awesome wizard spells though.

And 70% of what it has uniquely suck: there are gems like Snake Darts (auto hits + con damage that acts like poison as it hits twice now and a minute later) and the Fire shuriken (notice the duration, that means you can make them the day before or even sell them).

Really, Snake Darts is one of the few: this class is awesome moments.

I took down a Hydra, a Fire Giant, etc with it. When I found a pearl of power 4th level version: my party told me to use to recover snake darts after I use it.
A nice Combo:
G. M.W. + Chain (if take Metal as Favored Element for +2 caster level) add in Spell Secret for Extend and you have a great party buff. I used Metamagic Chain Rod but still works great.
Makes my party have great bonus to hit.

They have a few other useful spells like the assasins' Heart Ripper (updated in spell compendruim to rock hard)
1. Scales of the Lizard: A personal barkskin..not that great but unique.
2. Ghost Light: crates light and fear effect on enemies. Drawback concentration.
3. Apparition: more fear effects but usable on another ally.
4. lightning Blade: Reminds me of Saskue/Kakashi from Naruto but good.
5. Wall of Gloom: Blocks passage if 6th or lower (with save) each time fail save penalty to save goes up.
6. Magnetism: Kinda nice for disarming.
7. Creeping Darkness: Even dragons can't see (with blindsight) with this no save.
8. Heart Ripper: if using Spell Compendruim version. The Complete Arcane version is eh.
9. Snake Darts: I love this one.
10. Spirit Bind (lesser, etc): has some uses like planar Binding does.
11. Wall of Bones: decent.
12. Metal skin: Made my Knight Iron Man. It makes your Natural Armor to +8. Not an enhancement bonus, but like Polymorph.
So Humans have +0 normally. With a +3 necklace has +3. Metal Skin + 3necklace = +11 AC.

Sadly, I never played past 12 level.
So they are better buffers (if Favor Metal) than Wizards/Clerics with G. M. W.

Zocelot
2008-10-05, 12:01 PM
Giant Form is really fun, but it's level 9.

GryffonDurime
2008-10-05, 12:38 PM
Giant Form is really fun, but it's level 9.

Level 7.

Also fun are Body Outside Body, and Arboreal Transformation.

Seriously. I love the Wu Jen.

Adumbration
2008-10-05, 12:57 PM
Level 7.

Also fun are Body Outside Body, and Arboreal Transformation.

Seriously. I love the Wu Jen.

Jeah, I seriously laughed out loud when I saw Arboreal Transformation. Seriously, turn your enemy into a tree, and then animate it as a treant on your side? Priceless.

FinalJustice
2008-10-05, 01:25 PM
IMHO, a Wu Jen is a bunch of cool spells no one else gets to use, unless via UMD or some sort of cheese, most of them already mentioned here. Seriously, WoTC should have admited the screw up, like they did to the Warmage in the very same book, and made some sort of Ecletic Learning for the poor Wu Jen too.

Person_Man
2008-10-05, 02:21 PM
Well, any full caster is going to be strong in 3.5 D&D. But as Rose Dragon points out, anything with a limited list (Dread Necromancer, War Mage, etc) will suck compared to a Wizard or Cleric, which are also core.

Collin152
2008-10-05, 02:28 PM
They get special cool spells, but don't get the other preexisting cool spells.

Cloud Chariot makes me laugh.

TheThan
2008-10-05, 02:39 PM
They get special cool spells, but don't get the other preexisting cool spells.

Cloud Chariot makes me laugh.

I fixed that problem with my own homebrewed spell list. It’s very elementally themed but that’s the style I was looking for. (did the same thing with the Shugenja.)