PDA

View Full Version : [spoiler] When Belkar dies . . .

kingpocky
2008-10-05, 11:47 AM
. . . He'll probably be happier than ever.

The afterlife in the OOTSiverse seems to be strongly similar to the "Great Wheel" cosmology, where everyone gets sent to a plane depending on their alignment. However, everyone arrives with their memories, skills, and appearance just like they were in life.

We can't know exactly where Belkar will end up, both because of the fuzzy distinctions between corner alignments and because there's no reason that the CE afterlife in the comic would necessarily be identical anyway. However, I do recall reading about one place where everyone runs around mindlessly slaughtering each other for eternity (I think it was somewhere in Pandemonium,) which would be the perfect place for Belkar. In any case, it's logical to expect that Belkar will be delighted to finally be somewhere that no one will ever even suggest to him "You shouldn't kill others, it's against the rules." He'll be free from what he has always viewed as an arbitrary and unfair limit on his right to murder others whenever he feels like it. Unless there's still a threat to the universe as a whole, I can't imagine why he'd ever want to be brought back from such a place. He'd probably arise to demigodhood or archdemon status in record time, if possible.

Thant
2008-10-05, 04:55 PM
But don't you think that Belkar would rather end up in some happy-happy-joy-joy astral dimension (as a punishment for a life of endless murder) and not in a place reminiscent to Valhalla (that Pandemonium you mentioned)? Because that sounds much more like a reward and why should he be rewarded? I know that D&D uses polytheism for its divine system but I don't think that many other "powers" (Twelve Gods etc) in OotS universe would just let him go and let him have even more fun in his afterlife after everything that he has done to their worshipers and other living creatures - even the evil ones like Dark One (he sure has caused (hob)goblin graveyards to swell). Because in that case, death seems like a pretty easy getaway for Belkster. A desired one if things get rough on the material plane. Even if he ends up on his alignment plane (what god does Belkar worships? Is he an atheist? Erythnul anyone?) I don't think that the powers would go easy on him. I think that it's more likely that they will throw him somewhere where he would die over and over from boredom...poor Belkster:smalltongue:

Arkenputtyknife
2008-10-05, 08:48 PM
But don't you think that Belkar would rather end up in some happy-happy-joy-joy astral dimension (as a punishment for a life of endless murder) and not in a place reminiscent to Valhalla (that Pandemonium you mentioned)?

I think Belkar would rather end up in some happy-happy-joy-joy outer plane (which, incidentally, is not an "astral dimension") with a license to wreak as much death and mayhem as he likes.

As for the rest of it—it all depends on whether his destination in the afterlife is a matter of reward/punishment, or of finding the place to which he is best suited. We don't have a clear answer on that.

Hectonkhyres
2008-10-05, 09:46 PM
This is D&D-esque cosmology.
There is no such thing as hell: Just a heaven for murderous jackasses that just happens to use rivers of fire for mood lighting.

brilliantlight
2008-10-05, 09:48 PM
Belkar probably winds up in the Abyss to be tortured by Nalfeshnee at first and then given to Chasme to be tortured some more.

brilliantlight
2008-10-05, 09:50 PM
This is D&D-esque cosmology.
There is no such thing as hell: Just a heaven for murderous jackasses that just happens to use rivers of fire for mood lighting.

I don't know where this comes from . Demons and devils are big into torture and guess who gets tortured?

LostOne
2008-10-05, 10:07 PM
I don't know where this comes from . Demons and devils are big into torture and guess who gets tortured?

Belkar's newest hat-to-be? On a more serious note, if hell is karmic justice, being tortured is not the true punishment as some souls end up on top as the torturing fiends.

Hectonkhyres
2008-10-05, 10:32 PM
Oh, sure, it might seem bad. But then pretty soon you are the demon, torturing rather than being tortured... cackling with glee as lesser beings fall to your talons by the dozen. Their flesh is like the richest steak, their blood the finest wine.

And then you meet something bigger and meaner than you... but so what? Either your soul becomes part of your butcher, meaning even more fun, or you become part of the fabric of the abyssal domain you call home. In which case you peel yourself free in a new form minutes or centuries later and it all starts over again. The fear and pain merely seasoning for the feast that is existence.

And that is assuming you start off weak. Something like Belkar would be butchering his way through the lesser echelons abyssal hoards before he so much as blinks. He would be adulated by a dozen succubi atop the gutted carcass of a balor within a handful of years.

San Diablo
2008-10-06, 01:38 AM
I'm of a mind that mere death might not slow Belkar down much. Seriously, how do you think he'd view the Grim Reaper?

"Wait... you've killed everyone? Ever? ULTIMATE XP SOURCE!"

Kato
2008-10-06, 07:30 AM
Meh, I'd go for some 8-Bit-Theatreaquesness... You know, sending B to a world of demons and rivers of boiling blood, where he then murders whatever creature he encounters and takes over the plane, then bringing war onto every other afterlife he can reach. That'd be his idea of heaven... And we all want him to get, what he deserves ^^

Mina Kobold
2008-10-06, 01:32 PM
acording to D&D cosmology criminals end up in a kind of prison plane so filled with negative energi that all you fell is despair . (reminds me of those things from Harry Potter)

snowbard55
2008-10-06, 06:15 PM
Perhaps dearest Belkar ends up as a Grim Reaper of sorts. That would be awesome. A Halfling skeleton with two daggers showing up when you die and gutting your immortal soul free of the mortal coil. <sigh> A guy can dream, can't he?

Callista
2008-10-06, 06:33 PM
Valhalla's CG, strongly chaos, mildly good. I think. Been a while since I read that.

mockingbyrd7
2008-10-06, 06:44 PM
I don't think that, logically, the evil afterlives can be horrible places for those who die. Why? Because this is a world where there is an absolute certainty of gods, the afterlife, alignment, etc.. And if there's a 100% certainty of going to a place where you are tortured and abused if you die Evil, then nobody would be Evil.

DraPrime
2008-10-06, 06:48 PM
I think that Belkar will get some sort of ideal slaughter-land, but there's going to be a ton of inconvenient restrictions on how he can slaughter. Why? Because it's funny, and seems like The Giant's style.

Felixaar
2008-10-06, 06:50 PM
Actually, I think that if no one ever tried to stop Belkar from killing things, he'd probably grow bored of it in a while. After all, it's not so much the act as the thrill of getting away with it... sometimes.

MammonAzrael
2008-10-06, 07:43 PM
Personally I think that when Belkar dies, while he may be in line to be sorted (like Roy was), he'll quickly be pulled back and turn into an undead. Hopefully one that fires fear beams and fireballs from it's eyes. :smallamused:

Hectonkhyres
2008-10-06, 08:17 PM
acording to D&D cosmology criminals end up in a kind of prison plane so filled with negative energi that all you fell is despair . (reminds me of those things from Harry Potter)

The specific plane depends on the type of criminal in question. Liars, backstabbers, perpetrators of treason, etc... they generally go to Carceri. Those who fight and murder and torture for fun go to the Abyss to, well, fight and murder and torture. Bastards willing to commit any atrocity for their own benefit go to the infernal domains. And so on.

I think that Belkar will get some sort of ideal slaughter-land, but there's going to be a ton of inconvenient restrictions on how he can slaughter. Why? Because it's funny, and seems like The Giant's style.
...which doesn't seem like a problem that can't be solved with more slaughter.

Grail
2008-10-07, 06:40 PM
Oh, sure, it might seem bad. But then pretty soon you are the demon, torturing rather than being tortured...

Not all souls evolve into Demons. And those that do are often stuck at the basest levels. Not to mention that this can take lifetimes. It is rare indeed to follow in the footsteps of one such as Orcus.

Linkavitch
2008-10-07, 07:02 PM
He needs to go to a Valhalla of sorts...it's the only sort of afterlife that suits him. . .

AceOfFools
2008-10-08, 12:02 AM
Not all souls evolve into Demons. And those that do are often stuck at the basest levels. Not to mention that this can take lifetimes. It is rare indeed to follow in the footsteps of one such as Orcus.

Very true.

But then again most souls aren't PCs in a setting where after death you keep all your skills and combat ability (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0497.html).

Still don't think the prospects look good for Belkar, though. One Pit Fiend that's looking for a challenge and, well, sucks to be him.

Kranden
2008-10-08, 12:36 AM
You know what a real hell for Chaotic Evil characters would be?

Lawful good Heaven

OH GOD NO!

Mc. Lovin'
2008-10-08, 07:51 AM
what's the point in saying "[spoiler]" and then putting the spoiler in the title?

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 07:57 AM
what's the point in saying "[spoiler]" and then putting the spoiler in the title?

That's not the spoiler, the spoiler is the predictions in the thread.

EyethatBinds
2008-10-08, 11:43 AM
He won't be featured in the comic anymore, so it really doesn't make a bit of difference guys. He might get a few more comics in the hereafter but then he'll fade into the background and be ignored from then on kind of like Roy.