PDA

View Full Version : Searching Users.

turkishproverb
2008-10-05, 01:42 PM
Is there any way to get the user post history search to go back farther than 500 posts?

B-Man
2008-10-05, 01:51 PM
No. Other than using Google to search for a user's post, I don't believe there to be a way to search for older than 500 post. You can search from their first to their five hundredth post but not from their five hundredth most recent to their five hundredth.

Ego Slayer
2008-10-05, 01:54 PM
Well... kind of. If you use the advanced search options (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/search.php), you can put in the user and use the "find posts from" drop-down menus. It'll only show a block of 500, though. There's no way to see ALL posts made by said user at once.

Also, never tried this but... can you search for keywords AND a user at the same time? :smallconfused:

wxdruid
2008-10-05, 01:56 PM
Try sorting results by "in Ascending Order". It'll still give you only 500 posts, but if you creatively search for what you want you should be able to find it better. Like narrowing down the forum you want searched, or a keyword. With Ascending Order it'll show my posts from my join date, starting with those at the top of the page.

Or, I've searched for one of my characters in the Town forum and found important dates by using Ascending Order for my results.

In response to the question above me, I've searched for user and keyword at the same time before.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-05, 05:07 PM
In response to the question above me, I've searched for user and keyword at the same time before.

I just tried that and this thread came out on top....

wxdruid
2008-10-05, 05:29 PM
Did you try ascending order instead of descending order?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-05, 11:49 PM
Did you try ascending order instead of descending order?

No, but I figured that I would not hit the 500 cap anyway (which was correct), keyword is not that commonly used in the text of a post. :smalltongue:

Charity
2008-10-06, 04:11 AM
I think I have just found my new signoff thanks any other uncommon search terms you can suggest Oo occular one?
Why would you need to go that far back out of mild interest?
I say this as most stuff I write is irrelivant and obselete by the time I've hit post...

xx
Keyword

wxdruid
2008-10-06, 07:41 AM
I sometimes research my characters in the Town forum and I don't feel like searching through individual threads so I do an ascending search for keyword and my user name.

NerfTW
2008-10-06, 08:06 AM
I've gone back and read archived posts from the Giant back when he started the comic. It was interesting to see initial reactions to the comic when it was still new and just starting to have a plot. (Nale's introduction, to be specific)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-06, 10:46 AM
xx
Keyword

I saw your other post....

It might cause some head scratching.:smallamused:

Charity
2008-10-08, 05:50 AM
Thats a whole body scratch for yourself there Silv.

Loads of folk search out the giants early posts, could I suggest Raw that you make some sort of link to the early giant, or some such, it might cut down on the search burden... just a thought... this is the bit where Raw explains it will actually cause a thermonuclear meltdown to do such.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-08, 12:41 PM
Thats a whole body scratch for yourself there Silv.

Yup, I am Lord Nobody.

Loads of folk search out the giants early posts, could I suggest Raw that you make some sort of link to the early giant, or some such, it might cut down on the search burden... just a thought... this is the bit where Raw explains it will actually cause a thermonuclear meltdown to do such.

Having a link to the direct search results will not help. It removes some searches where people have trouble with ascending and descending results or where they accidentally search for keyword (and see all Charity's posts). On the other hand the link would create more demand as people flock to see the early posts (doing a search every time).
So, to be of any help it would need to be a series of links to the early posts, which any dedicated fan could do, rather than a link to the search results (unless they would spend the time making a stable version of that through the archive function perhaps....

Charity
2008-10-08, 01:35 PM
Don't steal Raw's thunder, he likes to tell me how I'm wrong :smalltongue:

Yeah, anyway some fan should really do all that work n'stuff [/shirk]

Keyword

xx