PDA

View Full Version : Diablo ONE

Forderz
2008-10-05, 06:33 PM
I've seen Diablo 2 threads, warcraft threads, starcraft threads, but no threads for the original battle.net masterpiece... Diablo! And before you go saying no one has a disc... every Diablo 2 battle chest comes with a copy! Who wants to kill the butcher?

It is apparent you guys need incentive... first person to roll up a character gets a free unique broadsword!

Pronounceable
2008-10-06, 12:50 AM
first person to roll up a character gets a free unique broadsword!

What do you mean "roll up"?

Deathslayer7
2008-10-06, 12:53 AM
I could create a character, and within 30 minutes be able to kill diablo.

Forderz
2008-10-06, 01:21 AM
On hell? Not in hell, on hell. There's a difference you know.

And by roll up I mean create.

Deathslayer7
2008-10-06, 01:41 AM
maybe not on hell, not without some levels, but diablo 1 is so full of cheats, its no fun anymore.

TurkeyTGNom
2008-10-06, 01:45 AM
Not that D1 was a horrible game in the slightest, but once people started hacking b.net, well, it just wasn’t fun anymore. Same thing with D2. You practically had to speak geek in order to play with other players, and when you finally translate what they say, it all comes down to 'my hacks are so awesome'. Not the kind of intelligent company I wished to have.

I'll be the first to admit, though, that I still run back as my axe-swinging warrior that knows the 9th level holy bolt. :biggrin:

There's just something about Snotspill, I don't know, he just makes me laugh. I mean what demon in any universe would think a tavern sign held great magical power? I would have felt more threatened if he said he was gonna hit me with it.

Deathslayer7
2008-10-06, 01:51 AM
reminds me of belkar right there.

Miko: "What other uses for there for carrying around a big metal sheet? :smallconfused:

Whack!

TurkeyTGNom
2008-10-06, 02:14 AM
reminds me of belkar right there.

Miko: "What other uses for there for carrying around a big metal sheet? :smallconfused:

Whack!

ROFL! yeah it kind of does.

Oh and btw, there is no cow level...:smalleek:

Amiria
2008-10-06, 08:38 AM
I still have it installed, characters from all three classes somewhere in their early-to-mid thirties.

Like my Warrior (http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/Kotzgeist/Other/screen03.jpg) ?!

DariusAPB
2008-10-06, 09:05 AM
Diablo 1 was awesome! never liked 2.. I have to go dig out my disk now..

Pronounceable
2008-10-06, 09:13 AM
On hell? Not in hell, on hell. There's a difference you know.

And by roll up I mean create.

Oh, you mean "name" a new character...

How long does it take to unlock hell? Never liked mp side of Diablo. And I can't really go on with playing sp anymore. Why?
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/eyrifirabbek/screen00.jpg
That's why. Chance of getting better items from Wirt is virtually nil, Griswold doesn't restock, stats are maxed and spellbooks are red. Scrooge McRogue am I...

Snotspill is just some dumb punk. The best guy ever is Gharbad the Weak.

Paragraph
2008-10-06, 12:15 PM
Huh, I started playing it again yesterday, now determined to finally play it THROUGH (I am a late addition to the party, having bought 1 after playing 2 for years), quite a coincidence.

I am taking it slowly, though, after my long time playing the sequel, you really have to get used to a game that WANTS YOU DEAD.

Simon

TurkeyTGNom
2008-10-06, 01:52 PM
Nothing yet, almost done. LIVE!!! LIVE!!!! No pain and promise i keep!!!

reminds me of that little kid that everyone always picked on in highschool.

stupid goat person:smallannoyed:

Forderz
2008-10-06, 02:10 PM
Considering there are about 3 people who actually play on battle net, and I doubt anyone here will cheat, a lot of the possible multiplayer problems are already eliminated, right?

If any one is up for it, the game i'm in is gitp on US West, because US east still doesn't let me in.

Malek
2008-10-06, 02:30 PM
Ah Diablo 1... my first game on own computer - and the only one I tried playing at nights (parents objected :P). Still have the discs for both it and Hellfire, and from time to time I give them a run.

Forderz
2008-10-06, 03:59 PM
Man those molten rock men really pack a punch!

The difficulty jump from catacombs to caves is huge!

Deathslayer7
2008-10-06, 08:44 PM
I might have joined you, but my computer doesnt have internet, and my parents don't let me play games on their computer.

TurkeyTGNom
2008-10-07, 06:07 PM
when (if) my computer gets here, ill probably jump back on and relive the old days.

ya i still have the hellfire CD in my case. i remember trying to install it a long time ago, but the cd was scratched. heh i rememberd it tho, for what it was worth, it was a good expansion. i wonder if blizz will go back and use the monk character class again.

KillianHawkeye
2008-10-09, 06:15 PM
The Hellfire expansion wasn't actually made by Blizzard. It was licensed out to Sierra, of all people, and that is why the end boss had that ridiculous Elvis accent, or whatever the hell it was.

Talya
2008-10-09, 06:34 PM
The Hellfire expansion wasn't actually made by Blizzard. It was licensed out to Sierra, of all people, and that is why the end boss had that ridiculous Elvis accent, or whatever the hell it was.

Sierra and blizzard both had the same ownership.

TurkeyTGNom
2008-10-09, 08:00 PM
Sierra and blizzard both had the same ownership.

well in that case, blizzard just acted as the publisher. with as anal as they are about delivering a polished clean product, you could tell that it was just a second rate project probably done by a staff of 4 or 5 people. hell that was back when sierra was still just getting into the gaming scene.

Heh thinking that far back reminds me of this insane puzzle game i used to play called incredible machine.

god, thinking about D1 and Incredible Machine makes me feel old.:smallannoyed:

Jenx
2008-10-10, 04:13 PM
Ah, Diablo. The game that wanted to be a roguelike, but couldn't.
For me it was also the first real computer game I ever saw (all those minigames windows comes with don't count).
And even though it fails at being a roguelike, the game did have a lot of the features of the genre - it wanted to kill you for starters. I personally felt that Diablo 2 was way way way too easy. And no, don't give me the argument "But playing so and so on hell is hard". That doesn't count. I've gone through the first 2 arcs of Diablo 2 without dying a single time, and I've done that at least several times (of course, that goddamn fatass bug at the end of act 2 always kills me at least several times, but who doesn't?).
But Diablo...aw man. Two words - The Butcher. A guy that does damage to you only if you're a warrior - if you're rogue or mage - it just kills you without giving you a second chance.

Damn, this ended up just being a pointless rant.

Krytha
2008-10-10, 09:45 PM
Ah, Diablo. The game that wanted to be a roguelike, but couldn't.
For me it was also the first real computer game I ever saw (all those minigames windows comes with don't count).
And even though it fails at being a roguelike, the game did have a lot of the features of the genre - it wanted to kill you for starters. I personally felt that Diablo 2 was way way way too easy. And no, don't give me the argument "But playing so and so on hell is hard". That doesn't count. I've gone through the first 2 arcs of Diablo 2 without dying a single time, and I've done that at least several times (of course, that goddamn fatass bug at the end of act 2 always kills me at least several times, but who doesn't?).
But Diablo...aw man. Two words - The Butcher. A guy that does damage to you only if you're a warrior - if you're rogue or mage - it just kills you without giving you a second chance.

Damn, this ended up just being a pointless rant.

I really don't understand why Hell difficulty isn't an argument for the game's difficulty. If the game content is hard, doesn't that make the game hard?

Return of Lanky
2008-10-10, 10:25 PM
I would, but I own the superior Playstation version of Diablo. And before you ask why the PS1 version is superior, I'll remind you that the game is controlled like an action game instead of with clicking, and comes with a fully-functional 2-player Co-op mode.

I'll readily admit that it's a game I keep going back to, generations later.

Glyphic
2008-10-10, 10:45 PM
I'm game. If anyone wants to be "hardcore", I'd gladly set up a time to do an Iron man run, or earn my second dot. :smallsmile:

Uh, Amiria, I've still got your windforce by the by. I hope.

Well, I don't. did I give it back?

Amiria
2008-10-11, 07:03 AM
Uh, Amiria, I've still got your windforce by the by. I hope.

Well, I don't. did I give it back?

Uh, I don't know. I can't find neither of my Diablo CDs to check at the moment. :smallconfused: Probably time to up the mess I call my room again.

Demented
2008-10-11, 07:42 AM
I really don't understand why Hell difficulty isn't an argument for the game's difficulty. If the game content is hard, doesn't that make the game hard?

Hard and "Wanting to kill you" are two different things.
Though I wouldn't say that Diablo 1 wanted to kill you, it certainly seemed more intentional than in Diablo 2, where you would accidentally run into a semi-random event that was as unexpected as it was lethal. "Who put that MLEB there? Who!?"

The Butcher in Diablo 1 was equivalent to Duriel in Diablo 2.
They're the first enemy you encounter in each game who really whallops you and then kills you, but Duriel appears much later at the end of the 2nd act (arguably half-way through the game), while the Butcher appears in D1 at about the point that you'd encounter Blood Raven in D2.

hamishspence
2008-10-11, 07:46 AM
Yes, multishot + lightninbg enchanted = annoyed players.

Closest equivalent in D1 was That Blue Poison Spitter in catacombs: ridiculously rapid fire, + buddies who all get it. Ouch.

Krytha
2008-10-11, 10:37 AM
Hard and "Wanting to kill you" are two different things.
Though I wouldn't say that Diablo 1 wanted to kill you, it certainly seemed more intentional than in Diablo 2, where you would accidentally run into a semi-random event that was as unexpected as it was lethal. "Who put that MLEB there? Who!?"

The Butcher in Diablo 1 was equivalent to Duriel in Diablo 2.
They're the first enemy you encounter in each game who really whallops you and then kills you, but Duriel appears much later at the end of the 2nd act (arguably half-way through the game), while the Butcher appears in D1 at about the point that you'd encounter Blood Raven in D2.

Yeah, but anyone with a bow and a grate could kill the butcher. The same could not be said for Duriel.

Deathslayer7
2008-10-11, 04:43 PM
with Duriel, its run around stay away from him while trying not to die, and trying to damage him.

Demented
2008-10-11, 04:54 PM
Yes, multishot + lightninbg enchanted = annoyed players.

Closest equivalent in D1 was That Blue Poison Spitter in catacombs: ridiculously rapid fire, + buddies who all get it. Ouch.

Two words (arguably four): Pitspawn Fouldog. That guy's a real chump. At the level he shows up, few of my characters are really ready for him. Nonetheless, it's always nice to kill him, every opportunity you get.

KillianHawkeye
2008-10-11, 05:09 PM
well in that case, blizzard just acted as the publisher. with as anal as they are about delivering a polished clean product, you could tell that it was just a second rate project probably done by a staff of 4 or 5 people. hell that was back when sierra was still just getting into the gaming scene.

While I admit ignorance to the exact nature of Sierra and Blizzard's relationship, I have to object to the bolded line above. Hellfire came out in, what, 1997?

Sierra has been re-innovating the adventure games genre since the mid '80s.

Krytha
2008-10-12, 01:09 AM
with Duriel, its run around stay away from him while trying not to die, and trying to damage him.

Which is quite a jump from "close door, tape mouse button down, go get a snack while the butcher is slowly plinked to death"

Forderz
2008-10-13, 01:09 PM
You guys got it all wrong: Buy a scroll of fire wall from the witch and open his door, let him see you, cast firewall in front of the door, shut the door. Hear the butcher burn!

Jenx
2008-10-13, 03:00 PM
Hell is not an argument, because you have to play trough the entire game at least once just to be play it. It's an addition. Diablo 1 was murderous on times on it's normal difficulty. Forget the Butcher, I still have a moment imprinted in my memory. Warrior, somewhere in the early levels of hell. I walk in to the level, kill a demon or two, nothing much. I walk south...and get attacked by four melee monsters and 5-6 succubus are shooting at me from the other end of the screen. I die before I could even take down 2 of the guys that were blocking my way.
Like I said - Diablo 1 was closer to it's roguelike-inspired roots - if it wants to, it WILL kill you. And it won't feel bad about it.

hamishspence
2008-10-13, 03:53 PM
I checked my Strategy guide book: only lists 3: Chaoscrawler, Plaguewrath, and Deathspit. Deathspit was the blue, level 5 rapid fire one. Maybe names are different in Playstation version? Or maybe one got left out of guide?