PDA

View Full Version : clay belkar

paulo
2008-10-05, 06:52 PM
Hey guys, I just started reading OOTS - it's awesome. I caught up to the current comic after a couple of weeks of reading. To comemorate, I made a clay belkar:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vX6Q4wmZe8E/SOlRtg1sh7I/AAAAAAAADYA/uQgiRf1Cpqs/s1600-h/belkar

or

http://claycomic.blogspot.com

-Paulo

Szilard
2008-10-05, 06:55 PM
That is awesome!

Felixaar
2008-10-05, 06:55 PM
Nice work!

edit - ninja'd. *glares*

tribble
2008-10-05, 07:04 PM
mass-produce them and you will make a fortune. that's surprisingly good.

Staven
2008-10-05, 07:11 PM
1. Make more
2. Contact the Giant
3. ?????
4. Profit.

But seriously, that thing is awesome.

FujinAkari
2008-10-05, 07:25 PM
FRICKIN' SWEET!

Good job man... I am envious!

Shadic
2008-10-05, 07:29 PM
...Want.

And I request Roy Impaling Miko like in Comic 408 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0408.html).

It would be AWESOME.

Threeshades
2008-10-05, 07:52 PM
I was considering modelling some OotS characters too. But i probably wont be able to compete with that :smalleek:

Thant
2008-10-05, 08:08 PM
Wow dude! This is incredible. I bow to your skill...and please make us playgrounders even more happy - make more of those clay figures:smallbiggrin:

FujinAkari
2008-10-05, 08:12 PM
Guys... can we PLEASE not insult an artist by immediately demanding more? If he wants to make more, he will... its sort of a slap in the face to take a gift and try and turn it into an unpaid occupation X_x

dwagiebard
2008-10-05, 08:15 PM
That's epic. :D Good job.

Guys... can we PLEASE not insult an artist by immediately demanding more? If he wants to make more, he will... its sort of a slap in the face to take a gift and try and turn it into an unpaid occupation X_x

I don't think it's a slap, it's a "that's so awesome that more would be even better" kinda thing. Besides, it's a request, not a demand.

Random NPC
2008-10-05, 08:18 PM

*shoves aside*

We want MOAR

http://iputatextonimage.com/wp-content/moar.jpg

Arkenputtyknife
2008-10-05, 08:26 PM
Great job.

It takes a strange mindset to interpret this as an insult. If someone gave me a slap in the face of the form "This is so great we want more," I'd turn the other cheek.

Lissou
2008-10-05, 09:33 PM
It's pretty neat! Nice painting job, too. I love it.

I worked on some OOTS clay stuff myself too, back when I was making the chess game. I had to stop, though, it took way too long.

To people who say "mass produce them and sell them for profit", I'd like to point out that as far as I am concerned (and even with the illegality of it aside), the chess piece I made took me so long that selling each individual piece $100 would mean making less than minimum wage. Stuff like these, that aren't reproductible (as in, you have to start over with every single piece, and each one of them takes the same amount of time, as opposed to, for instance, making a comic, that takes a hell of a long time too, but you can print as many copies as you want).

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure making that for a living would be a terrible idea. These kinda stuff work only as collector's items anyway, either as gifts or a trophies or something (like, for the winner of a contest).

Anyway, yeah, great job. Would you mind taking pictures of some other angles?

basilisk 89
2008-10-05, 09:35 PM
Totally epic.

morplzkthx

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-05, 10:01 PM
Wow. That really is good.

Neat!

To people who say "mass produce them and sell them for profit", I'd like to point out that as far as I am concerned (and even with the illegality of it aside), the chess piece I made took me so long that selling each individual piece $100 would mean making less than minimum wage. Stuff like these, that aren't reproductible (as in, you have to start over with every single piece, and each one of them takes the same amount of time, as opposed to, for instance, making a comic, that takes a hell of a long time too, but you can print as many copies as you want).
Plus there's the whole issue of the character and likeness being the intellectual property of one Rich Burlew. :smalleek:

Santiago
2008-10-05, 10:35 PM
Belkar is my favorite OOTS member. This rocks!

Dreamthiev
2008-10-05, 11:40 PM
Wow, amazingly good. I wish I could do something like that. :smallsmile:

paulo
2008-10-06, 12:24 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of your positive input! I really appreciate it - you are awesome.
I'll take a few more pictures of Belkar tomorrow.

-Paulo

Vizen
2008-10-06, 01:40 AM
Wow, that IS good. I especially like the part of the comic you chose for that, couldn't of chosen something better I think.

Thant
2008-10-06, 01:52 AM
*shoves aside*

We want MOAR

http://iputatextonimage.com/wp-content/moar.jpg

heheheheheh:smallsmile: love the pic

paulo
2008-10-06, 02:03 AM
Hey guys,

I put some new pictures up of the figure. I went back to the figure and painted the wires black to make it match the comic. Thanks again for the input!

http://claycomic.blogspot.com

-paulo

Zakama
2008-10-06, 02:29 AM
I don't believe it. You've made OotS 3D... AND NOT FAILED. This is super kickin! Props man!

Thant
2008-10-06, 02:34 AM
This is so cool:smallcool: If I'm not asking too much - can you tell us how long does it take to finish such an endeavor? And with what level of skill did you accomplish this? Just being curious. I'm truly amazed with this piece of your work and hope that you'll continue on the same path...Keep claying on!

Woof
2008-10-06, 02:59 AM
Hehehehee awesome! The only thing that was bugging me was the silver wire, it's perfect now )

Kaytara
2008-10-06, 03:19 AM
Wonderful. ^^ Fantastic job there! :D

Holammer
2008-10-06, 03:58 AM
Looks great, but Belkar could use some wounds for that kickass "battle damaged" look :smallamused:

Lissou
2008-10-06, 08:03 AM
Plus there's the whole issue of the character and likeness being the intellectual property of one Rich Burlew. :smalleek:

I did say "even putting the illegality of it aside". That's what I meant. Not only is it a lawsuit waiting to happen but honestly, it's not a nice thing to do to an artist you like enough to be a fan of to begin with.

The wires being black make it perfect! I really admire your work.
If you don't mind my asking, what kind of paint did you use? Did you varnish it?

Niley
2008-10-06, 08:46 AM
Wow! This figure looks great! You must be really talented. And I love the expression on Belkar's face..

AKA_Bait
2008-10-06, 09:15 AM
Wow. Fantastic. Seriously, see if you can talk to the Giant about it. I know I'd buy one if it was legal and whatnot.

paulo
2008-10-06, 10:29 AM
@Thant: It probably took me about 3 hours to do, maybe more. I've been messing around with clay for years now, but just for fun.

@Lissou: I actually "painted" the wires with sharpies =) I didn't have any paint around, so I had to use what was lying around.

Lissou
2008-10-06, 10:59 AM
@Thant: It probably took me about 3 hours to do, maybe more. I've been messing around with clay for years now, but just for fun.

@Lissou: I actually "painted" the wires with sharpies =) I didn't have any paint around, so I had to use what was lying around.

Wow, you're pretty fast.
I didn't mean the paint for the wires, though. I meant, the paint for everything. Or did you use coloured clay? Does that even exist?

batsofchaos
2008-10-06, 11:05 AM
First off, excellent work. Is it Fimo, Sculpey 3, or a different colored modeling compound?

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure making that for a living would be a terrible idea. These kinda stuff work only as collector's items anyway, either as gifts or a trophies or something (like, for the winner of a contest).

True, it would be economically infeasible to mass-produce something like this by sculpting each one individually, but collectible sculptures are never produced that way, whether small press or big press, except in instances of one-of-a-kind sculptures.

Mass production of collectible figurines like this would be accomplished by producing an initial sculpture, making a mold from it, and producing resin casts which would then be hand-painted. This would take production down to a fraction of the time for a one-off sculpture and make such an undetaking economically viable.

The 2 cents of a fellow sculpter.

someonenonotyou
2008-10-06, 12:13 PM
wow thats awesome im doing an clay elan for art class i hope it turns out that goos:smallbiggrin:

Linkavitch
2008-10-06, 12:23 PM
That is awesome! Kudos to you! (kinda makes me want to buy a nice digital camera and take all the OotS characters i've made out of Legos and post it...)

keeperoflore
2008-10-06, 01:28 PM
if its not to much trouble, would you mind listing exactaly what all you used? like what kind of clay, what kind of paint, what the wire is?

i feel as though i may make somthing like this at some point in the near future.

Mr. Mud
2008-10-06, 01:31 PM
I neither have the attention span, or the artistic ability to do something will that level of awesome. (or a +3 stick of carving)

Thats awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Chronos
2008-10-06, 03:05 PM
if its not to much trouble, would you mind listing exactaly what all you used? like what kind of clay, what kind of pain what the wire is?I'm guessing that it's the pain of having a couple of magical daggers repeatedly stabbed into both of your kidneys :smallbiggrin: .

Forealms
2008-10-06, 03:33 PM
When I saw the thread name I thought it would be another theory on Belkar's death/revivification in the form of a golem or something. Let me say that I'm pleasantly surprised. :smallbiggrin:

Helanna
2008-10-06, 04:44 PM
When I saw the thread name I thought it would be another theory on Belkar's death/revivification in the form of a golem or something. Let me say that I'm pleasantly surprised.

You're not the only one!

But seriously, this is awesome beyond belief! And in only three hours? You, sir, are absolutely amazing. Are you planning on doing more characters? Because it would be really cool to have the full cast!

That post didn't happen. It's perfectly feasible and don't let anyone tell you different!

Mass production of collectible figurines like this would be accomplished by producing an initial sculpture, making a mold from it, and producing resin casts which would then be hand-painted. This would take production down to a fraction of the time for a one-off sculpture and make such an undertaking economically viable.

Much better.

keeperoflore
2008-10-06, 05:03 PM
fixed my post, stupid keyboard, my T key sticks some times.

turkishproverb
2008-10-06, 10:12 PM
I like it. I second the casting idea, if you can get the Giant's permission.

paulo
2008-10-06, 10:38 PM
Wow, thanks again guys for all the positive replies. I am really surprised!

@Lissou & KeeperofLore:

I used colored modeling clay. I have a bunch of "sculpey" and "fimo." I buy them on sale, so it's a mix of all the different types. If you've never used modeling clay before, it's super easy. It comes colored, and when you're done shaping it you bake it in the oven for ~15min. It comes out the same shape and color but hardened. In general, sculpey is softer and easier to use - fimo is harder but lets you get more detail. Although Sculpey makes a hard clay called "primo" and fimo makes a soft clay called "fimo soft" just to make it confusing. If you've never used modeling clay before, I'd recommend starting on sculpey or fimo soft. Also, the clay is expensive! it's ~$2-3 per tiny block of clay. If you're lucky, you'll find it on sale for $1 each. Buy a lot. If you keep it in a ziplock bag, it'll last years.

The wire is Soldering wire. I use it because it is easily bendable with your fingers, you don't need special tools. It works great as armature - the skeleton underneath your clay figure.

I think you will be happily surprised at how easy clay is compared to other forms of art. It's because not to many people do it - so you'll automatically be the best sculptor your friends know! It's pretty awesome like that.

@Someonenonotyou:
I hope your Elan turns out great! Can't wait to see it.

batsofchaos
2008-10-07, 10:39 AM
For those interested in sculpting, another option is to go with Super Sculpey, which is the same material as Sculpey 3 (the colored Sculpey) but uncolored. It's far more modeling compound for less moolah. The downside is that you need to paint finished pieces, which you can often avoid doing working with Sculpey 3.

If you go for Super Sculpey, I recommend buying one or two packages of Sculpey 3 in a bright, solid color (I usually go for sky blue), which you should then knead into the Super Sculpey. The reason I suggest this is because Super Sculpey is a semi-transluscent beige color straight out of the package, and as such can hide imperfections. Mixing in some solid color eliminates this drawback.

Whatever you do, avoid regular sculpey, which is also sold in bulk and is white. It's doughy and hard to work with for starters, but the main problem is it shrinks when cooked. Bad mojo.

tanis
2008-10-07, 11:10 AM
Wow.

Amazing.

You're really skilled. I know I am really late with my compliments, but you have great talent. And with great talent comes... with all that follows ;)

Lissou
2008-10-07, 11:13 AM
I used colored modeling clay.

I thought so when you said it took you 3 hours. I was like "what? But that's just the molding time!" (and even then)...
I didn't know FIMO and the like could be called "clay". I always called them "dough", like play-dough.
I use actual clay, although I've used FIMO before. FIMO is a lot easier, but I keep messing up because I'm not used to having to make the differently-couloured parts separately. Like, the head and the body. Then, when trying to put them together, I always end up messing up, for instance mixing the colors when trying to smooth the connexion, or mis-shaping one of the two parts by pressing them together too hard or something.

And yeah, I know how mass-produced figures are made. I just don't expect the OP to suddenly decide to turn into that, invest all the money that goes with it, find the people to help him, and so on, when it's not even legal or anything.
If the Giant was to agree (and probably find the company to make and distribute them), it would be different of course. OOTS miniatures would be very cool, and I'd love it as much as all these guys. But then, we should ask the Giant first of all, not the OP.
Plus, there is no certitude that the Giant would choose the OP to make them rather than someone else.

Austran
2008-10-07, 12:53 PM
Very nice indeed!

batsofchaos
2008-10-07, 01:14 PM
And yeah, I know how mass-produced figures are made. I just don't expect the OP to suddenly decide to turn into that, invest all the money that goes with it, find the people to help him, and so on, when it's not even legal or anything.
If the Giant was to agree (and probably find the company to make and distribute them), it would be different of course. OOTS miniatures would be very cool, and I'd love it as much as all these guys. But then, we should ask the Giant first of all, not the OP.
Plus, there is no certitude that the Giant would choose the OP to make them rather than someone else.

I'm sorry if I may have offended, nor was I suggesting the OP produce an illegal product, I was simply stating the method of large-scale production for sculptures; something that I have a somewhat expert knowledge of. I am not a professional sculpter, but I do know the ins-and-outs of it pretty well and was simply trying to share some of that knowledge.

Actual clay is a very difficult medium to work in, and I applaud those who use it regularly. I have switched almost entirely to Super Sculpey/Sculpey 3 due to some of the unique qualities it has. Since it does not shrink and can be baked multiple times, it can be used to create sculptures far more detailed than I could ever achieve with regular clay.