PDA

View Full Version : Help! "Pushing the Medium"

Flickerdart
2008-10-05, 09:25 PM
I got an assignment in art class to "push a medium of my choice", essentially doing something with it that no one's done before, a medium being paint, graphite, etc. Basically, what you use to make stuff. I've been wracking my brain for weeks, and no ideas have emerged.

So, I humbly ask of the Playground to bestow upon me their ideas. It's ok if it's crazy, in fact, it's expected. It just needs to have never been done before and make sense to a degree. Please don't say "paint with an elephant".

Collin152
2008-10-05, 09:28 PM
Do one of those shaded monochromatic type dealies... but with the lighting inverted.
Light stuff darker, dark stuff lighter.

Other than that, I got no idea where to even start, so I can't really help.

reorith
2008-10-05, 09:28 PM
1. get a couple kilos of charcoal.
2. grind it up
3. snort it.
4. repeat steps 1+3 until you become one with the charcoal.

Unique
2008-10-05, 09:29 PM
I got an assignment in art class to "push a medium of my choice", essentially doing something with it that no one's done before, a medium being paint, graphite, etc. Basically, what you use to make stuff. I've been wracking my brain for weeks, and no ideas have emerged.

So, I humbly ask of the Playground to bestow upon me their ideas. It's ok if it's crazy, in fact, it's expected. It just needs to have never been done before and make sense to a degree. Please don't say "paint with an elephant".Toothpicks, blood, thread and needle, ASCII art, hair, noodles, wood.

Collin152
2008-10-05, 09:29 PM
Toothpicks, blood, thread and needle, ASCII art, hair, noodles, wood.

All at once.

Phae Nymna
2008-10-05, 09:41 PM
1. Go to beach or a sunny spot.
2. Use no precaution against the sun and lie there for 5+ hours.
3. Go home and leave the burn alone until it begins to peel.
3. Peel off the skin in as large a sheet as possible, as many times as possible.
4. Paint the skin to be all pretty or something.
5. Go get radiation for your skin cancer.
6. Turn in your skin art.
7. ????
8. Profit!

Collin152
2008-10-05, 09:42 PM
1. Go to beach or a sunny spot.
2. Use no precaution against the sun and lie there for 5+ hours.
3. Go home and leave the burn alone until it begins to peel.
3. Peel off the skin in as large a sheet as possible, as many times as possible.
4. Paint the skin to be all pretty or something.
5. Go get radiation for your skin cancer.
6. Turn in your skin art.
7. ????
8. Profit!

If the cancer was caused by Radiation, why would Radiation help?

This is why reality makes no sense. We need to stop pretending it does.

Just mix blood into your paints. Trust me.

Coplantor
2008-10-05, 09:53 PM
If the cancer was caused by Radiation, why would Radiation help?

This is why reality makes no sense. We need to stop pretending it does.

Just mix blood into your paints. Trust me.

Or sperm...

Something new huh? The only thing that is not grose and wont anger the PETA guys that comes to my mind is knocking at random houses and ask them to do something to your painting, like drawing or painting something, then you'll have a random piece of art.

Unique
2008-10-05, 09:54 PM
Sand might be pretty cool.

Or bull semen. Use bull semen.

TheBST
2008-10-05, 09:59 PM
1)Take all the charcoal pencils you can find.
2)Arrange them in the shape of an even bigger pencil.
3)Set it on fire
4)Say it represents the post-modern condition. When pushed to explain, say the ambiguity of it's meaning is itself part of the piece's meaning.

Step four is the key to all arts projects.

Unique
2008-10-05, 10:02 PM
3)Set it on fire
4)Say it represents the post-modern condition. When pushed to explain, say the ambiguity of it's meaning is itself part of the piece's meaning.

I just fell in love.

Rockphed
2008-10-05, 10:04 PM
I'm gonna weigh in on the "Do Ascii art using some other medium" option. Not only is it really cool, but it will probably be simpler less painful than other options presented here.

Otherwise, do you have a medium that you are supposed to push?

TheBST
2008-10-05, 10:09 PM
Do you have a medium that you are supposed to push?

Yes.

John Edward.

Down a very steep flight of stairs

Unique
2008-10-05, 10:12 PM
Yes.

John Edward.

Down a very steep flight of stairsAnd again!
Truly, you are a wonder!

Coplantor
2008-10-05, 10:12 PM
3)Set it on fire

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1304#comic

Oh and, I agree on the bull semen part.

Collin152
2008-10-05, 10:14 PM
And again!
Truly, you are a wonder!

I'll paint a picture of jealousy with his blood...

TheBST
2008-10-05, 10:18 PM
And again!
Truly, you are a wonder!

Aw, shucks, mister.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1304#comic

YES.

Somebody do this for art class today.

Unique
2008-10-05, 10:19 PM
I'll paint a picture of jealousy with his blood...Oh, come now, Collin. Surely you know it's you I love.

Right?

Right?

*gets stabbed in the heart*

Wrong, apparently.

Flickerdart
2008-10-05, 10:25 PM
Andy Warhol already did the "random person, come and add a thing" approach. The ASCII thing is an interesting idea, I'll play around with that.

And can we do something a little bit less lethal?

Unique
2008-10-05, 10:26 PM
Andy Warhol already did the "random person, come and add a thing" approach. The ASCII thing is an interesting idea, I'll play around with that.

And can we do something a little bit less lethal?Fake blood?

Coplantor
2008-10-05, 10:28 PM
Aw, shucks, mister.

YES.

Somebody do this for art class today.

Once I did domething like that, it was fr an art class on one of my last years of higschool. We had to put every piece of "art" we did in a portfolio made by ourselves, me, being as lazy as I am, sticked together two large peces of paper leaving an empty space on the middle where the "art" went. On the cover I wrote "The simplicity of this portfolio is a severe critic against consumism in the modern society".

thubby
2008-10-05, 10:31 PM
fill an entire page with graphite, then make your picture through erasing.
tape string to self in ornate pattern, get sun burn, go to class with body art.

Unique
2008-10-05, 10:32 PM
Ketchup, mustard, bread, and mold.

Collin152
2008-10-05, 10:35 PM
Take some forumulas, plug in various significant numbers of significance, paint the resultign graphs artisticallaly.

Unique
2008-10-05, 10:37 PM
Take some forumulas, plug in various significant numbers of significance, paint the resultign graphs artisticallaly.Or just graph complicated stuff...

thubby
2008-10-05, 11:14 PM
Or just graph complicated stuff...

or just use fractal art
what? :smallconfused:

Unique
2008-10-05, 11:14 PM
or just use fractal art
what? :smallconfused:

*Stabs*

Hey Collin! We got a mind what needs rapin'!

Collin152
2008-10-05, 11:17 PM
*Stabs*

Hey Collin! We got a mind what needs rapin'!

His mind makes me want to cry.
Just rape him yourself.

chiasaur11
2008-10-05, 11:22 PM
Claim to have invented a time machine.

Say you were the REAL (insert famous artist here).

If you somehow make it true, so much the better!

Nychta
2008-10-05, 11:23 PM
Draw something, half with really small equations bunched up to make lines, the other half with the graphs that those equations represent and coloured in.

MisterSaturnine
2008-10-05, 11:31 PM
Use a long sheet of tinfoil as a canvas, light a plastic bag on fire, and draw a portrait using melted, flaming pieces of plastic, which drip onto the tinfoil.

Incidentally, if you light the bag on fire right, it makes a "voot" sound when the plastic drips off.

Unique
2008-10-05, 11:40 PM
Just rape him yourself.Hmmm... i could sig that...

Tirian
2008-10-05, 11:42 PM
The ASCII thing is an interesting idea, I'll play around with that.

Perhaps ASCII art made on a lino press or (better yet) a movable type printing press. New art form, old medium. Or, if that's been done before, using hieroglyphics to create "ASCII" art of some ancient Egyptian scene, drawn on handmade papyrus.

Zakama
2008-10-05, 11:45 PM
Step 1: Paint a picture
Step 2: Bring it and the can of paint you used to art class
Step 3: Set up painting and put paint on table
Step 4: Push the paint
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!

TheBST
2008-10-05, 11:51 PM
Step 1: Paint a picture
Step 2: Bring it and the can of paint you used to art class
Step 3: Set up painting and put paint on table
Step 4: Push the paint
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!

Oh my god.

This is it!

This is the ANSWER!

This man has broken so much ground the Richter Scale now goes up to 11!

Hell Puppi
2008-10-06, 12:04 AM
Make discarded cd's into a giant dragon statue (the cd's are the scales).

...eh, probably been done before. The only good one I could come up with for my own art class was making a sheep out of steel wool.

Lorien077
2008-10-06, 12:18 AM
Hmm... maybe create your canvas out of multiple things (paper fortunes from fortune cookies, cds, etc) and paint as needed/ wanted with acrylic paint? that could be interesting.

Coplantor
2008-10-06, 08:09 AM
1-Cover the floor of your room with paper.
2-Place bottles and breakeble stuff all over the place.
3-Fight with a friend, a bunch of puppies or whatever you feel like fighting against.
4-Let the blood speak for itself
5-Profit!

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-10-06, 10:58 AM
This is an idea I've had for decades, and now is the time to reveal it to the world!

Build a house out of LEGO! Yes, those lovely little, multi-colored blocks you played with as a child could well be used to build an entire house! Sure, there might be a few problems with it, but there are also some wonderful practicle applications.

When natural disaster strikes, rebuilding is literally a snap. You'll probably be able to locate most of the pieces in the immediate vacinity, and the ones you don't find can be purchased at your local toy store. :smallwink:

What's that? You have a growing family? Unsnap a few walls and start building more rooms! :smallbiggrin:

While the neighbors complain that the wooden frames of their homes are infested with termites, you can smile in the knowledge that the little critters don't have a taste for plastic. :smalltongue:

If you build the foundation properly, neighborhood flooding would turn your home into a floating refuge. You just need to get the family together, bust out the oars, and paddle your way back to your property before the waters recede. :smallcool:

Deter theft from/of your home by placing numerous Lego police men on your Lego lawn. (Drawing scars on their faces and adding tiny weapons to their "hands" will help make them look more imposing.) :smallamused:

There are, of course, downsides to this idea. You may find yourself constantly telling your kids, and probably all of the neighborhood kids, to stop playing with the house.

Multi-clolored walls may become painful to the eyes. :smallsigh:

Friends who think bursting through the wall yelling "Cool-Aid" never gets old. :smallannoyed:

Lego furniture will leave silly little impressions in the skin, and sleeping on a bed of the stuff may cause co-workers to laugh at you when you arrive at your job with skin covered in tiny cricles, all with the word "Lego" appearing backwards inside them. :smalltongue:

Building a Lego house anywhere that has a "fire season" is a bad idea. Should your house go up in flames, it will be the greatest source of toxic fumes for miles around. :smalleek:

So ends my entry for this thread. Hope that helps. :smallsmile:

evisiron
2008-10-06, 11:03 AM
I would try painting a miniature, or making a scene of mini's. Warhammer is good for this.

sktarq
2008-10-06, 11:57 AM
So, I humbly ask of the Playground to bestow upon me their ideas. It's ok if it's crazy, in fact, it's expected. It just needs to have never been done before and make sense to a degree. Please don't say "paint with an elephant".

Carve charcoal into a hand using charcoal to draw a picture.

Coplantor
2008-10-06, 12:00 PM
Use charcoal to draw caves on cavemen bodies.

Flickerdart
2008-10-06, 03:38 PM
Carve charcoal into a hand using charcoal to draw a picture.
That'll take a lot of coal :smalleek:

sktarq
2008-10-06, 03:52 PM
That'll take a lot of coal :smalleek:

Want an easier one? Carve one (or possibly two) of those silly fake logs into a hand and wrist and have it strikinging a match (use a real match) or drawing with charcoal. Plus those come in easy to find larger blocks

Eldan
2008-10-06, 04:06 PM
Make a sculpture out of chewing gum. No, really, I did that. It looks great. Kinda like something made by Giger, but white instead of black. It was also only two centimeters high though and not very stable.

Flickerdart
2008-10-06, 07:37 PM
Make a sculpture out of chewing gum. No, really, I did that. It looks great. Kinda like something made by Giger, but white instead of black. It was also only two centimeters high though and not very stable.
Well, you sort of already did that.

bluewind95
2008-10-06, 07:44 PM
Why not do something that is more traditional, but with untraditional means?

Maybe a shirt for a canvas, ashes for charcoal, other kinds of rocks ground up for other colors... I dunno. I'm not really too artistic.

Lemur
2008-10-06, 08:54 PM
Make a charcoal drawing, only for parts of the drawing, actually glue pieces of charcoal on to the paper so it blends between 2D and 3D texture.

Better yet, get some wood, burn part of it so it slowly becomes blackened into charcoal, and affix that to a drawing of some trees, so the wood is touching the paper but at the same time looks like it's going in at an angle into the paper.

Alleine
2008-10-07, 01:17 AM
Light the classroom on fire.

Zakama
2008-10-07, 01:28 AM
Incidentally, if you light the bag on fire right, it makes a "voot" sound when the plastic drips off.

Correction: It makes the Mario sound.

ghost_warlock
2008-10-07, 02:20 AM

You could use wire to reinforce the structure. Old wire-frame coat-hangers would work nicely.

Make 'chain mail' out of business cards you've stapled together. Or, for bonus points, use twisty-ties to bind the cards together.

Any art project involving chicken wire is full of win.

Experiment with texture by spray-painting styrofoam (caution: only do this in a well-ventilated area).

People are always making gingerbread houses. Has anyone ever made gingerbread furniture, though?

rubakhin
2008-10-08, 08:25 AM
Maybe you could paint abstract designs (or just solid colors) on several small strips of paper/canvas/whatever your heart desires, and then ask people to rearrange them into a complete painting. Like a modular Mondrian.

You could do a lot with this, like asking a variety of people to rearrange it into something that represents their mood right now, or a significant event, etc. etc.

If you really want to **** with their heads you could say that there's one correct way to put the painting together and then watch everyone go all "Why is a raven like a writing desk?" over it.

It's like a puzzle, except instead of making a pretty picture, your goal is to make innocent people go insane!