PDA

View Full Version : Why do you game?

Bassikpoet
2008-10-05, 11:29 PM
Why do you play P&P RPGs? There are so many other ways to get your game on. What is it about P&P RPGs that keeps you coming back for more?

simple question, not so simple answers.

BobVosh
2008-10-05, 11:31 PM
Extremely simple anwser: it is fun

Slightly less: allows for more creativity

MisterSaturnine
2008-10-05, 11:34 PM
Hypothetically enjoyment because I like to get creative with backstories in games, and this gives me a medium to actually incorporate those backstories into the game.

Hypothetically because I've only ever really played once and it was very, very brief.

Crow
2008-10-05, 11:34 PM
It allows for more creativity. Not a lot of games give the player true freedom to accomplish their goals in any way they please. It's also annoying when the only dialogue options you have are things you don't want to say. As a DM, you get the pleasure (and nightmare) of crafting your own unique worlds and stories.

But most importantly, I get to hang out with my bro's, socialize, eat pizza, and get my game on all at one time.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-05, 11:38 PM
Primary answer: fun!
This is self-evident.

Secondary answer: social!
Way back in middle school, RPGs were a fine way for a bunch of nerdy guys to hang around all afternoon without running out of things to say or do. It gave a pretext for socialization, which is a good and healthy thing to do.

Nowadays it is still a good excuse for me to get to know new people, to hang out with folks, and to have a joint good time. Plus, unlike board games, it is a cooperative experience, which allows for more bonding and less competition.

Tertiary answer: an excuse to exercise my creativity
I'm a designated DM, and that's largely because I really, really like to make up stories and characters. Now, I've never been focused enough to do real writing, but with pen & paper RPGs I can sketch out a script and develop some character sketches like I were writing a real story, and then see how my audience (the PCs) take it.

This is not to say I'm a railroader, mind you, since I am aiming to write stories that engage my audience, and in a RPG, that means making sure they get into the story and have fun with the game. I haven't gotten it down yet, but the trying is what's important! :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2008-10-05, 11:46 PM
I get to be someone else for a while, someone different and usually more interesting than myself.

skywalker
2008-10-05, 11:52 PM
I get to be someone else for a while, someone different and usually more interesting than myself.

This.

Also, because I like to take part in a story, IE cooperative story-telling.

I like rolling dice, and playing games in general. I like applying my intelligence to rules and exploiting them. I really love rolling dice(my DM asked if I learned to roll dice shooting craps. My response: "Does anyone learn how to roll dice? You just throw em!").

I like the thrill of absolutely destroying an opponent with max damage. I like the thrill of rolling 20s and the anguish of rolling 1s.

It's a fun way to hang out with friends. And it's a fun thing to talk about with you guys.

Stupendous_Man
2008-10-06, 12:03 AM
We do it, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-06, 12:06 AM
We do it, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

We do what we must because we can. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF_IBrHsuzA)

monty
2008-10-06, 12:15 AM
Not necessarily in this order:

1. It's fun.
2. My friends play it.
3. It's totally open-ended, and, therefore, allows for greater creativity, unlike, for example, a mumorepiguh. It also allows for overuse of commas.
4. Mindrape.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-06, 12:21 AM
It's also annoying when the only dialogue options you have are things you don't want to say.

But thou must!

But most importantly, I get to hang out with my bro's, socialize, eat pizza, and get my game on all at one time.

This, too, though we rarely have pizza and more often end up with a bag of Doritos, or maybe sour cream & onion potato chips. Next weekend, however... :smallbiggrin:

Stupendous_Man
2008-10-06, 12:24 AM
We do what we must because we can. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF_IBrHsuzA)

We must do it because it makes us happy. And happiness is mandatory.

You can trust the computer. The computer knows best. The computer is your friend.

And you will be rewarded with cake.

RS14
2008-10-06, 12:37 AM
I do so because RPG systems are interesting to me. In all honestly, the games I've been involved in so far have been mostly disappointing. I'm not a good writer, nor actor, not terribly social, nor terribly competitive, but I enjoy having a system that is written and designed in plaintext. I like homebrew and feeling that if a game becomes dull, then it's the task of the players and the DM to make it interesting again. To some extent, for me, it's Free Culture in gaming. I like having a part of my life that I can be an active participant in.

Bob the Urgh
2008-10-06, 12:58 AM
Because whenever I get frustrated at a video game, I can whip up a badass epic level character and slaughter thousands.

Also for the commas.

Ravyn
2008-10-06, 01:19 AM
For being someone who can make a difference, someone who isn't just me. Trying out new mindsets.

For the writing practice; most of my gaming and all my GMing are online, so I have to try extra hard to get across things like body language and intonation and the like. It makes me very, very good at "show, don't tell", particularly when I'm operating under AIM character limits. Heck, I got an entire blog idea out of this aspect of it.

To show off. I'll admit, this is a big one for me; I like having an audience, and I like being able to stretch my skills.

For the social element. It's no fun on my own, really.

For collaboration. There really aren't enough video games that would let me focus on teamwork, and certainly not enough within my budget. I already have game books.

For flexibility. I regularly have ideas that just wouldn't work in a common video game: Yelling at armies, using unlikely artifacts and newly acquired NPCs, coopting an entire cult as part of a complicated plan meant to assist the individual they're worshiping. You can't do that on a set script, and even if you imagine doing it, it doesn't matter.

For the vicarious emotion. This is a big one for me; the characters I play feel things much bigger than anything I've ever felt, whether it's the gambler's high or the thrill of victory--or even the negative emotions. I'm particularly partial to IC fear; I'm not sure why, but I find it blasted fun to RP. Maybe because of the intensity, or the fact that it makes such an effective incentive to Do Great Things.

...and yeah, I guess I could say having fun on its own, but isn't that already covered in the other answers?

Bassikpoet
2008-10-06, 01:25 AM
Answering my own question...

I play because what I do matters and has tangible results in game. There is nothing more satisfying than realizing that I have an immediate and incredible effect on the world around me. In the real world where the results of your actions are obscured or insignificant, its easy to get lost. In RPG world, you know what you do has an effect.

Also, I get to be creative and have fun, needless to say.

Falconer
2008-10-06, 01:41 AM
I enjoy it as a creative outlet: I'm quite literally always dreaming up something or other, and games are a place to put all of my imagination stuff.

The Rose Dragon
2008-10-06, 01:44 AM
Because it's all I can do.

Seriously, I'm like Parson. I game because I can do it. And since I can do precious few other things, and few of them are as fun as gaming, I game.

Or post in gaming forums. That kind of counts as a game... right?

sun_tzu
2008-10-06, 02:53 AM
To live epic adventures.

bosssmiley
2008-10-06, 03:53 AM
Because I'm not allowed to solve the problems of the real world with swashbuckling. Gotta get my fix of high adventure somewhere. :smallwink:

Hallavast
2008-10-06, 03:58 AM
For all those who simply said "because it's fun/entertaining" or something similar as one of their reasons, I would encourage you to examine why it is so. Of course, simply saying it's fun is completely valid, but as you said, it's rather obvious. If you, like me, would enjoy deepening this conversation, please share the results of your analysis with the rest of the class. :smallbiggrin:

I game for:

1. Fun -- PnP RPGs are like videogame RPGs but with multiple players, nonlinear design, a dynamic world/setting which the players can directly manipulate, nigh unlimmited content, and actual roleplaying.

2. Social Value -- Unlike other activities done with friends like hiking, playing sports, watching movies/tv, or other table top games (poker, monopoly, chess, ect.) I can actually talk to the other people involved, and the words have more meaning than "I'm open", "go fish", or "checkmate". This is all done without the pressure or formality of actually having a direct conversation with more than 1 other person.

3. Escapism -- My life is very boring. Moreover, I'm a fairly boring, quiet person in everyday life. Gaming is when I speak up and come alive. I get to pretend I'm off in some interesting place doing exciting things with important people for a few hours a month. Why would I ever want to be not gaming?

4. Storytelling -- As a creative writer, I see gaming as an opportunity to show off, test, and develop my storytelling skills. It's like I get to sit down with 3-4 of my best friends and help create an epic story or something. Mankind has been sitting in circles telling stories since before the beginning of history. PnP RPGs are simply the next logical step of that progression.

Swordguy
2008-10-06, 04:17 AM
Being in theatre, the actual exercise of role-playing is, in fact, training for acting. So, not only do I get to have fun doing what I do, but because the IRS deems it educational for my field, gaming items I buy are a tax write-off.

I enjoy the actual process of acting - of creating a person wholely different from myself and portraying them in a variety of settings and circumstances. It "fun" for me. So why shouldn't I extend that to my leisure time as well?

JaxGaret
2008-10-06, 05:06 AM
I like PnP RPGs for several reasons, mostly already discussed above, but here they are:

1) I like playing games.

2) Not only is it fun on a social level (gaming is good times), but I find that it is also a good outlet for social creativity, as others have stated. Like with anything else, practice makes perfect. If you want to "practice" a certain aspect of a personality (whether that personality is yours or not), or just try something new on for size, RPGs are a great way to go about it.

3) As entertainment goes, on a dollar per hour basis, it's quite economical.

4) I as well like coming to forums such as this one and joining in on the fun and interesting conversations.

AslanCross
2008-10-06, 06:05 AM
I game with my students who are members of the creative writing club in our school. It was originally an exercise to help them write fiction, but eventually we just started gaming to unwind. Our school's sort of like a school for the gifted, so everyone's under a lot of stress.

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-06, 07:22 AM
Because I'm not allowed to solve the problems of the real world with swashbuckling. Gotta get my fix of high adventure somewhere

The same, but less fixing and more destroying. Our last game was basically 8-bit theatre played straight.

And video games tend to be limited in the evil they allow you to perpetrate.

potatocubed
2008-10-06, 07:30 AM
I game because 'gamer' is written across my soul in indelible ink. In really big letters. Really big capital letters. You might as well ask me why I breathe: it comes so naturally to me that not doing so seems rather strange.

I just can't imagine a world in which I wasn't a roleplayer. When I was a kid I used to invent worlds (heavily featuring my favourite stuffed animals) for my younger brother to explore - if the hobby didn't exist the way it does, I'd have had to invent it.

The Glyphstone
2008-10-06, 08:02 AM
Being in theatre, the actual exercise of role-playing is, in fact, training for acting. So, not only do I get to have fun doing what I do, but because the IRS deems it educational for my field, gaming items I buy are a tax write-off.

I enjoy the actual process of acting - of creating a person wholely different from myself and portraying them in a variety of settings and circumstances. It "fun" for me. So why shouldn't I extend that to my leisure time as well?

Govenment-funded gaming. That's 5d10 kinds of awesome.

valadil
2008-10-06, 08:38 AM
It's fun.
All my friends do it and games are a great excuse to hang out with them.
It's not on a computer.
It's more open ended than any other game.
It's a creative outlet.
It's the closest I can get to acting without dealing with stage fright.
Did I mention that it's fun?
RPGs satisfy both sides of my brain. I'm one of those players who powergames and roleplays at the same time.
Once you have the books its cheap. Compared to video games, the books are extremely cheap and have tons more replay value.
It gives me a sandbox to try out other personalities. For instance I really enjoy being a total jerk, but not to real people. I can play a character who is a jerk, to satisfy my jerk tendencies and then I don't have to act that way in real life.
Most importantly, it's fun.

PnP Fan
2008-10-06, 10:40 AM
Because I'm a Fan!! :-)
Okay silly jokes aside, I think I do it more out of habit nowadays than anything. Creativity is a good thing, and I try to exhibit that trait; the game itself is fun (pick your poison, as long as everyone likes that game); but ultimately I find that the game is just a thing to do with my friends, an excuse to hang out together. The older we get, the more time we spend socializing with each other, and the less time we actually spend gaming.

Tokiko Mima
2008-10-06, 10:54 AM
I bought all these rulebooks, so I might as well. It's not like I have anything else to obsess over at the moment. :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue:

joela
2008-10-06, 10:56 AM
Why do you play P&P RPGs? There are so many other ways to get your game on. What is it about P&P RPGs that keeps you coming back for more?

simple question, not so simple answers.

i enjoy it and the people I game with (usually).

Starbuck_II
2008-10-06, 11:31 AM
I like PnP RPGs for several reasons, mostly already discussed above, but here they are:

1) I like playing games.

2) Not only is it fun on a social level (gaming is good times), but I find that it is also a good outlet for social creativity, as others have stated. Like with anything else, practice makes perfect. If you want to "practice" a certain aspect of a personality (whether that personality is yours or not), or just try something new on for size, RPGs are a great way to go about it.

3) As entertainment goes, on a dollar per hour basis, it's quite economical.

4) I as well like coming to forums such as this one and joining in on the fun and interesting conversations.

This times 10^10 at least.

kjones
2008-10-06, 02:11 PM
Because killing things and taking their stuff has unfortunate consequences when done in real life.

Stormageddon
2008-10-06, 02:31 PM
Because killing things and taking their stuff has unfortunate consequences when done in real life.

That made me laugh.

Me I'm just doing it until I get to level 20. Must get level 20!

LotharBot
2008-10-06, 04:17 PM
Sid Meier (of Civilization fame) talks about 4 types of fun in games:

1) "easy fun" -- powerups, rewards, cool cinematics, etc. The stuff that often gets casual gamers into the game.
2) "hard fun" -- overcoming challenges, developing real skill. The stuff that keeps hard-core gamers playing.
3) "relaxation" -- taking your mind off of other things; immersion.
4) "social fun" -- interacting with other people, whether to taunt them when you pwn them or to congratulate them on a nice move.

RPGs have become my game of choice because they (can) do all of these so well. You can level up, get cool artifacts, etc (easy fun). You can overcome hard fights, come up with good character builds or party tactics, etc (hard fun). You can get into a really neat story and a fun role (relaxation). And you do it all while hanging out with your friends (social fun).

There are a couple of other things specific to tabletop RPGs that I like:

5) They provide a setting where I can do interesting moral, political, and religious philosophy. I can play a character or create a society that operates according to certain rules, and explore what that means to a great depth. I can explore what it means to "do the right thing" in morally ambiguous or morally complex situations. I can explore real value tradeoffs -- "would my character be willing to lose the fight for this?" or "is what I'm doing important enough to be worth the political and social turmoil killing the duke will cause?" And I have other players who'll take those questions seriously without turning it into an emotionally charged real-world-religion-or-politics argument.

6) They allow me to stretch myself in psychological terms. I stutter and don't make eye contact unless I concentrate on it (and I have other related social dysfunctions.) Playing D&D, and putting myself into a role of a tremendously confident and well-spoken paladin or sorcerer, gives me a chance to overcome some of those issues, at least to a degree.

7) They give the group a jointly-creative outlet. I build characters and stories. My wife builds extensive worlds and props (like, card-stock dungeon tiles.) Others build personalities or artifacts.

I also play plenty of PC games, from simple freeware like solitaire and minesweeper to competitive online games like poker and Descent. Those don't fulfill all of the aspects of D&D, but different games do cover some of those aspects.

_Zoot_
2008-10-07, 08:32 AM
I play because its fun and it gives me opitunitys that i can't have IRL.
I play because it gives me a chance to meet with my friends.
I play because it gives me a chance to kill randoms and hide there bodies and not face murder charges (yet).

That is why i play.

Raz_Fox
2008-10-08, 07:59 AM
Because I'm a Christian Fantasist. :smallwink:

Really, I love worlds of fantasy and heroes saving the day. Around the age of eight I was reading Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain and anything at all that was written by J.R.R. Tolkien. Those two men really caused me to be interested in worlds that were different than ours, where there are goblins and trolls plotting to destroy you instead of Iranian terrorists, and you gird yourself in chainmail and unsheathe your sword to save the day at the last possible moment, like the ending of the Book of Three.

Oh, and my Uncle's a gamer - I got my first 3.0 D&D adventure from him, The Eldest Son. I loved reading it over and over, getting to know the various NPCs and the events of the adventure. I'm planinng to play that soon - either on a PbP or in a solitare game.

I'm a gamer because I'm a dreamer. I love to imagine and create, to play pretend and to create stories. Why not do this with friends? God created us to be social creatures, and we can figure out ways to share even the most introverted of urges.

...*Looks up at three paragraphs* Judging from the evidence, it might also be because I love to ramble on and on...

cloneof
2008-10-08, 11:56 AM
I`m a book writer.

Also I don`t have any friends :smallfrown.

Zincorium
2008-10-08, 12:36 PM
It's about as social as one can get while being comparatively isolated from reality.

Seriously. Even if you have made a complete and utter fool of yourself in nearly every non-gaming social circle, once you sit down at a table with a dungeon master's screen in front of you...

It doesn't matter that you're about one infraction away from being fired or demoted.

No one cares about your credit score.

It's absolutely irrelevant how much influence you have over other people.

Alll that matters is you can help other people have fun, and that it's fun for you to do so.

No drug is more addictive.

monty
2008-10-08, 01:42 PM
It's absolutely irrelevant how much influence you have over other people.

Also, if you're behind the DM screen, you more or less have total influence now.

DM Raven
2008-10-08, 07:33 PM
Several reasons...

1) PnPRPGs are limitless in the potential for choice and creativity...well, you're only limited by your imagination and your DM.

2) I love storytelling, I am a DM through and through. PnPRPGs allow me to express this creativity crafting stories and characters that my players may well remember for the rest of their lives. To inspire through storytelling is a great feeling...for me at least.

3) It's fun and social, keeps you in touch with friends who you might not usually get to hang out with much.

4) Helps to form and maintain social networks. I've landed some great jobs through people I met laying D&D, actually one of my players set me on a path that's quickly turning into a profitable career.

5) Only in D&D can I create a Shank-weilding wizard from the projects who uses magic to keep it real. (Shank based powers please WOTC)

Calinero
2008-10-08, 08:49 PM
Well, for one thing, a lot of my friends play D&D. It's a good way to hang out with them, kill some time, and get a lot of good stories to share. So many funny D&D stories...heh.

Also, I'm an actor. Not a terribly good one, and still relatively new, but it's fun and I like it. I enjoy the roleplaying aspect of the game, getting into character. I pride myself on thinking of what my character would realistically do in a situation and doing it, even if it isn't what would be the most beneficial for him. It's a really good exercise for staying in character, really.

D&D is also good for me as a writer. I've heard all sorts of great authors say that their characters often do things that they did not expect, and develop personalities of their own. Well, that's what happens when you DM: you're saddled with a bunch of character with personalities of their own, and are forced to make as good a story as you can. A very fun experience indeed.

Plus, I like the fun of fighting. Nothing compares to the feeling that you just knocked an ogre's face off with a well rolled slingshot.

banjo1985
2008-10-09, 05:17 AM
I guess I game because my dad did and still does, so I've grown up with it. He initially started me on war games and over my teenage years I developed onto 40k, then through to roleplaying.

As for why I still game, I enjoy acting a part, and doing things that aren't possible in real life. I'm also a sucker for a good story, either telling one or hearing one, so I guess that's the main reason.