PDA

View Full Version : Of sense motive and ones.

notagain111
2008-10-06, 12:18 AM
Well, this week, we had something else i've never seen before:
Mister fighter decides he wants to roll sense motive against the bookkeeper whos obviously telling the truth.
He rolls a one.
So it turns out, the fighter seems to think that the bookkeeper is thinking about doing horrible things to the fighter's sister. The fighter also thinks that he actually has a sister for a few seconds before realising he dosn't.
Of course this was quite hilarious at the time... Anyone else have any fun stories of folks rolling ones on sense motive checks?

KillianHawkeye
2008-10-06, 10:45 AM
I thought if you fail a Sense Motive roll, then you just believe whatever the person is saying. As long as the person is telling the truth, then everything is fine.

Anyway, there isn't such a thing as automatic failures or critical failures for skill checks in either D&D 3.x or 4e.

Magnor Criol
2008-10-06, 11:09 AM
I thought if you fail a Sense Motive roll, then you just believe whatever the person is saying. As long as the person is telling the truth, then everything is fine.

Anyway, there isn't such a thing as automatic failures or critical failures for skill checks in either D&D 3.x or 4e.

There are in the games I play.

Well, some skill checks anyhow. It depends on the situation and how we're feeling around the table. Usually they're just humorous things that don't actually impact anything, but we've had crit fails on Climb checks (falling damage), Perform checks (booed & vegetable-pelted offstage, then chased out of town), and Survival checks (picked some poisonous food, poisoned almost the whole party).

JMobius
2008-10-06, 11:21 AM

Well, some skill checks anyhow. It depends on the situation and how we're feeling around the table. Usually they're just humorous things that don't actually impact anything, but we've had crit fails on Climb checks (falling damage), Perform checks (booed & vegetable-pelted offstage, then chased out of town), and Survival checks (picked some poisonous food, poisoned almost the whole party).

Those are all the sort of things I'd feel that would be more appropriate to failing by a certain margin than a simple flat 5% chance.

Zeful
2008-10-06, 11:30 AM

I agree with JMobius, this is stuff that happens if you miss the DC by like 20, not if you roll a one. In fact the first one (falling after failing a climb check) is one of the examples in the PHb for this.