PDA

View Full Version : Items to increase manueverability?

Kiyona
2008-10-06, 02:41 AM
Hello all,

When my sorc hits level 6 she will get an improved familiar, a drakkensteed to be precise. Thing is, they have poor manueverability (what an unecessery long and complicated word) and I would like to improve it a bit.

Is there any items that does this? Any other suggestions for items that will help make it even better? Except bardings and mw. military saddle. Any magic items that shouldnt be overlooked?

All suggestions welcome, thanks guys. :smallbiggrin:

Cuddly
2008-10-06, 02:47 AM
There's a harness in the Draconomicon. Unsure of it's price. Increases maneuverability by one grade. You could also give your steed an item that grants it a feat, then retrain/shuffle that feat for improved maneuverability. Both would be expensive.

Ricky S
2008-10-06, 03:42 AM
You could always ask your DM if you can create magic items for speed or buy them specifically for animals. For example you could get Boots of swiftness
+30ft movement for 4k, Boots of striding and springing +10 ft movement around 2k or you could just get expeditious retreat or longstrider and used linked spell for it so you can cast it on your pet instead. Also there are horseshoes of speed which add +10ft for 2k(?). They could be modified to apply to your pet.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-10-06, 03:59 AM
There's the Pectoral of Maneuverability from the Draconomicon, which takes a vest spot. It's 12,000 gp for improving by one maneuverability category, or 90,000 gp for the greater version which improves it by two categories. You could learn the spell Wings of Air or Greater Wings of Air, 2nd and 4th level respectively, which would improve its maneuverability by one or two categories respectively. You'd probably be better off learning Fly or Overland Flight in that case though, or learn Phantom Steed. Maybe if you can give it different feats, have it take Improved Flight from Races of the Wild. Improved Maneuverability from the Draconomicon should stack with that for an improvement of two categories, but it has Hover or Wingover as a prerequisite so that would be three feats to gain two categories.

Kiyona
2008-10-06, 04:17 AM
Oh my, I didnt think it would be that expensive...

I think it should be able to get feats... It is still intelligent. But Im not sure.

But thanks for the help =)

I will learn fly and phantom steed in time. This was mostly for the coolness factor. Not that I dont like my weasel familiar, he has proven mighty useful, but a dragon is a bit more intimidating when it comes to scaring of enemies. :smallcool:

Paragon Badger
2008-10-06, 04:34 AM
There's a feat called Improved Manueverability. :smalltongue: It's either in the DMG as a monster feat or Complete Adventurer..I can't recall..

Kiyona
2008-10-06, 04:56 AM
Oh, thats great. A feat is much better. :smallbiggrin: Thank you

But how does it work, does familiars obtain feats? They have half the PC HP, and for some things have the same amount of HD. Animal companions get feats, so I would think familiars do too.

Does anyone here know?

jcsw
2008-10-06, 06:06 AM
Oh, thats great. A feat is much better. :smallbiggrin: Thank you

But how does it work, does familiars obtain feats? They have half the PC HP, and for some things have the same amount of HD. Animal companions get feats, so I would think familiars do too.

Does anyone here know?

By RAW, no familiars don't get feats as your character levels up because they don't gain any actual HD, unlike animal companions. (HD for the purpose of spells doesn't count) Your DM will probably rule otherwise though, so it's good to ask.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-10-06, 06:07 AM
Familiars don't actually gain additional hit dice, they're just considered to have HD equal to the PC. Some DMs may allow a player to pick which feats their familiar has, which is the reason I suggested that feats would be the best choice for improving its maneuverability. As-written, a familiar has whatever feats that are printed on its monster entry, but many people want to add a personal touch and that's one of the easiest things to change about one.

Person_Man
2008-10-06, 10:30 AM
There's no facing in D&D. So you don't actually need maneuverability. Your steed can fly in whatever direction it wants, and you can rain spells down on your enemies.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-06, 11:01 AM
There's no facing in D&D. So you don't actually need maneuverability. Your steed can fly in whatever direction it wants, and you can rain spells down on your enemies.

Maneuverability still applies to things like making turns.

Cuddly
2008-10-06, 03:49 PM
Find a mage capable of casting embrace the dark chaos & shun the dark chaos. They're level 8 spells, with a 200xp cost (I think). Embrace lets you choose any feat you have and turn it into an abyssal feat. Shun lets you take any Abyssal feat and turn it into a non-abyssal feat. Those spells (and feats) are in Fiendish Codex I.

This is really the only non-magic item RAW way I know of doing it. It'd take some talking with your DM to do.

Maneuverability still applies to things like making turns.

Or needing a minimum amount of space to stay aloft, or speed at ascending.

Curmudgeon
2008-10-07, 04:48 AM
You're a spellcaster. Why not just use a spell? There's a 2nd level spell called Wings of Air (Draconomicon page 82) that will bump the maneuverability rating by one. Greater Wings of Air gives two increments to maneuverability class. Aerial Alacrity is a 4th level spell (Races of the Wild) that bumps maneuverability and adds speed.