PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Power Rangers (or Sentai) morphers? Maybe even a full campaign?

newbDM
2008-10-06, 02:59 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/Power-Rangers-700021.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/NEWTEAM.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/dinozords.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/megazord.jpghttp://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/dragonzord.jpg

As someone who still loves his Power Rangers to this day (although Disney really killed it) I think about this every now-and-then.

I usually think about the morphers, especially the original power coin ones, but now while reading the CUTE thread on the Homebrew forum I suddenly started thinking about an actual adventure/campaign.

So this thread is basically two parts I guess:

How would you stat a morpher?

What are your thoughts, and maybe ideas about a Power Rangers game?

Although I have not read them yet, I am guessing the D20 Modern would probably be best for the adventure campaign idea? However, I ahve a feeling that everything from D&D to Future (again haven't read it) would probably be needed (would that be a good/terrible idea?).

Damn, I am starting to get all kinds of happy feelings, which I have not felt in a long time, by imagining stating up Angel Grove and stuff. :smallamused:

Note: I only have season 1 of the original mighty Morphin pictured (with the exception of the second pic, which is a later season of Mighty Morphin) , but it can be based of any season of Power Rangers. For some reason I am thinking that SPD would probably be the best one for this, but I am not sure why.

As always, any and all advice, comments, ideas, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

The Rose Dragon
2008-10-06, 03:17 AM
Did you consider M&M? In the Paragons supplement, it has a Super Sentai team statted out. And it is also awesome in general.

newbDM
2008-10-06, 03:20 AM
Did you consider M&M? In the Paragons supplement, it has a Super Sentai team statted out. And it is also awesome in general.

M&M?

What is that?

The Rose Dragon
2008-10-06, 03:31 AM
Mutants & Masterminds.

It is, like, only the second best thing to come out d20 System. And that includes martial adepts and wizards. And Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil.

KnightDisciple
2008-10-06, 03:32 AM
M&M?

What is that?

Mutants and Masterminds. It's a D20 based game, but uses a pure point-buy system as opposed to classes and such.
It's specifically geared towards supporting comic book style play, but seems (from what little time I've used it for) to support a wide variety of styles.

KnightDisciple
2008-10-06, 03:33 AM
Mutants & Masterminds.

It is, like, only the second best thing to come out d20 System. And that includes martial adepts and wizards. And Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil.

What's the first best?

Talic
2008-10-06, 03:44 AM
Yes, mutants and masterminds is really good for this. My last character was a minor telepath, nothing too special about him...

Until he got knocked to dead/dying, or outright killed. Then a (weakened) ancient Egyptian god of Darkness and Destruction took over.

The transformation was accompanied by an instantaneous application of an insanely high self-healing ability (essentially, I had +14 on a DC 10 check, and, when it was passed, healed me, even from death, to perfect health). The transformation then occurred, rendering me incorporeal, and granted me a disintigration beam, an energy sapping shadow beam (think enervation on a stick, with damage), the ability to teleport from one dark area to another, and the ability to manifest supernatural darkness up to 1000 yards out.

Essentially, I had two totally different character sheets.

This could just as easily be done with emotional change (anger)... Wham, there's the Incredible Hulk.

Or item Linked, for a power rangers feel.

Or even summoned, if you wanna go all captain planet (though a gestalt variant may be better for this).

Seriously, the powers that you get in this game are insanely flexible. Want a beam of light that can either blast like a laser, stun, or blind? Easy. Want one that does all three at once? Possible.

Want a guy with gravitically enhanced punches? Doable.

How about a guy that can jump super powerfully, but only when punching, and whose punches are outlined with fire? Piece of cake.

Heck, you can even make a guy that can turn rocks into people.... Or people into rocks. Or even a guy that can turn Bob into Jane, and completely make over his/her mind at the same time. Yeah, I saw one guy that made a character so that every time his non-powered sidekick died, he took a rock, and turned it into his sidekick.

The system is insanely flexible.

RagnaroksChosen
2008-10-06, 07:15 AM
D20 BESM(big eyes small mouth) has some cool rules for them... specifically they have a whole class for them. and I believe they even have rules for morphing.

Drascin
2008-10-06, 07:30 AM
Echoing Mutants and Masterminds 2e. It's supposed to be focused on superheroes, but it's really versatile (heck, I'm playing a game based on the Nanoha series, which is basically a magical girl/super robot crossbreed and that is working without a hitch) and easily allows for morphing characters and big robots. The manual is also relativaly easy to come by.

prufock
2008-10-06, 07:31 AM
Yeah, M&M is the system for this, in my opinion. Also, some of the leg work (http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=11800) has already been done for you. Just model Tommy on the other 5, and build the zords as minions. Second edition, of course.

jcsw
2008-10-06, 07:33 AM
Power Ranger? First pick ranger, then give him the power attack feat. Then give him the favored power attack feat.

Power Ranger.

Fizban
2008-10-06, 04:39 PM
I'll echo the M&M, even though all I've done there is read a bunch of different stat ups. Really all I can think of for DnD is: Divine Power, and Summon Big Thingy. They get better at fighting as they go on, so they're leveling up in something, morphing just makes them better (BAB increase) and tougher for a bit (temporary hp). The morphers call the zords, which is just a big summon, probably of the character replacement style, since they have to pilot them. The zords have a unique ability to combine, which replaces all of them with the separate megazord. Anything beyond Divine Power and other buff spells is gonna have to be homebrew, but M&M is made for ad hoc-ing this kind of stuff.

Oslecamo
2008-10-10, 12:36 PM
Heck, you can even make a guy that can turn rocks into people.... Or people into rocks. Or even a guy that can turn Bob into Jane, and completely make over his/her mind at the same time. Yeah, I saw one guy that made a character so that every time his non-powered sidekick died, he took a rock, and turned it into his sidekick.

The system is insanely flexible.

You didn't play enough D&D. I've seen all of that been done. With a single build.

The Glyphstone
2008-10-10, 01:39 PM
You mean Wizard 20?:smallsmile: Polymorph Any Object and Mindrape are all you need.

M&M is still much better suited to this anyways though.