PDA

View Full Version : New Familiar for V (Possible Spoiler)

CheezItMan
2008-10-06, 04:01 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that Qarr will become V's new familiar? He/she's going on the "correct" path to get an imp familiar, and he is unemployed right now.

Besides Blackwing isn't exactly a great asset or even liked/remembered by V.

Holammer
2008-10-06, 04:12 AM
Blackwing left V (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0440.html) back at the battle of Azure City. It could happen. Depends on what direction Rich is gonna take V.

Renx
2008-10-06, 04:44 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that Qarr will become V's new familiar?

Yes, yes you are.

Psychomancer
2008-10-06, 04:52 AM
V will probably be the first to point out that once the requisite time has passed, s/he CAN summon a new familiar...
But doesn't HAVE to.

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-06, 05:05 AM
That is actually an interresting idea. It would probably lead to the Order having to leave the fleet if it happened, though.

Laurentio II
2008-10-06, 05:06 AM
You means that Vaarsuvius is not only switching to evil (that it's all to prove, and no one did until now), but even dumb? Because a wizard of his magnitude must be very stupid to take a free willed, malevolent demon that he personally defeated, considering demons (and devils) attitude to revenge.

factotum
2008-10-06, 06:35 AM
Because a wizard of his magnitude must be very stupid to take a free willed, malevolent demon that he personally defeated, considering demons (and devils) attitude to revenge.

He didn't really defeat Qarr, did he? He defeated the big demon, but one suspects that wasn't such a problem for Qarr--I'm still suspicious that he hasn't been seen since he left the island; even Kubota was expecting him to be there when he faced Daigo and Kazumi, so one wonders if Qarr has other fish to fry entirely.

Laurentio II
2008-10-06, 07:15 AM
He didn't really defeat Qarr, did he? He defeated the big demon, but one suspects that wasn't such a problem for Qarr--I'm still suspicious that he hasn't been seen since he left the island; even Kubota was expecting him to be there when he faced Daigo and Kazumi, so one wonders if Qarr has other fish to fry entirely.
Sure, Vaarsuvius did not defeated Qarr directly. Actually, NOBODY did. But still is in the "good" team, petrified a friend of his, and disintegrated his former master.
I'm totally going to see Qarr doing the "You are so strong, take me as your familiar!" and Vaarsuvius reply "Yes, I'll bind myself to an evil creature that proved to be mostly useless, despite being in a team of mostly Good aligned people and on a paladin lieged boat, because I feel the need to have a miniature monster from whom I need to guard my back constantly. I means, Belkar is missing from a while, isn't he?"

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-06, 07:57 AM
That is a good point. To be fair, V may end up taking Qarr as a familiar due to has/her growing insantity if V thinks it will help to get Haley back.

Sabin Marcus
2008-10-06, 11:07 AM
Call me crazy, but I'd like to see V pulled back from the brink before he goes so far as to select an infernal familiar.

Mr. Mud
2008-10-06, 11:12 AM
V isn't evil guys, ("just misunderstood") Just a little derannged... Its been like 50 strips since she rested. :smalltongue:

And Qarr would never work for her? She Prismatic Sprayed his huge hulking 200,000,000 lbs cousin.

Nerdanel
2008-10-06, 11:13 AM
Unfortunately I find the idea of Qarr as a familiar plausible...

Another possibility would be a bat called Blackwing II. Normal familiars abandon a spellcaster who becomes a lich. The exceptions are bats and rats.

Linkavitch
2008-10-06, 12:13 PM
No. Just. . . no. S/he needs to be taken back from the brink before choosing a specifically evil familiar, and, besides that, s/he doesn't really need a familiar, unless it will help in scouting/distracting an opponent. Which Belkar or Haley can do anyway, once they all get back together, and B is cured.

someonenonotyou
2008-10-06, 12:16 PM
that would be awesome to have qarr New Familiar but i dont think that will happens he didnt really care about his Familiar and now she has more inmportant things right now then looking for a new Familiar form v point of veiw

Teron
2008-10-06, 12:19 PM
Am I the only one under the impression that Blackwing didn't leave permanently, but simply returned to the limbo where he resides when everyone is ignoring him?

Kaytara
2008-10-06, 12:39 PM
Am I the only one under the impression that Blackwing didn't leave permanently, but simply returned to the limbo where he resides when everyone is ignoring him?

Thank the gods, a comrade in spirit!

Ditto, really. o_O I don't know why everyone assumes Blackwing actually abandoned Vaarsuvius for good.

delguidance
2008-10-06, 12:39 PM
I just blackwing popped back into limbo.

Laurentio II
2008-10-06, 01:04 PM
I always though, but seemed me so obvious to not need it declared. Only that, after this...

Another possibility would be a bat called Blackwing II. Normal familiars abandon a spellcaster who becomes a lich. The exceptions are bats and rats.
... I find very important to declare it. Blackwing is fine and will be back. My word!

Ariko
2008-10-06, 01:34 PM
Agreed with Teron. And Kaytara and Laurentio..odd as adding that last one feels:smallamused:

Its seemed as though Blackwing left her permanently at other times, only to show up again.

David Argall
2008-10-06, 01:39 PM
I'm totally going to see Qarr doing the "You are so strong, take me as your familiar!" and Vaarsuvius reply "Yes, I'll bind myself to an evil creature that proved to be mostly useless, despite being in a team of mostly Good aligned people and on a paladin lieged boat, because I feel the need to have a miniature monster from whom I need to guard my back constantly. I means, Belkar is missing from a while, isn't he?"

Now my own bet is that we will see the last of Qarr as he guides Kubota to one of the Hells. Qarr will gleeful about having lured Kubota into evil deeds, and Kubota will accuse him of treachery, and Qarr will thank him for the compliment.
The main problem with Qarr as V's familiar is that this seems too early. Qarr would pretty much mark V as evil, and while this may be where the plot is going, it seems it will be some time before it reaches that destination. V needs a longer and slower fall...

Still, if Qarr does suggest the idea to V, he has potentially at least one very tempting offer. Qarr may have access to ways to find Haley. We can easily see V listening closer to such an idea.
And Qarr might have useful joke potential.

Finwe
2008-10-06, 01:41 PM

No (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92448). It is, in fact, entirely possible for a wizard who is evil to NOT become a lich, you know. Even if you believe V will become fully evil, lichdom would in NO WAY augment his arcane powers. It would take him a third of a year and lots of XP and enough gold to buy a tome of intellect +5 - why would he waste all that when he won't gain anything that he's interested in, and loose so much?

Laurentio II
2008-10-06, 03:33 PM
We have enough "crazy theories about Vaarsuvius" that we could make a list about crazy theories about crazy theories about Vaarsuvius.

"Someone will propose that Vaarsuvius is only half elf!"
"Next year Vaarsuvius will multiclass to sorceress"
"V is Blackwing familiar"

LuisDantas
2008-10-06, 03:40 PM
Call me crazy, but I'd like to see V pulled back from the brink before he goes so far as to select an infernal familiar.

You and me both.

NENAD
2008-10-06, 04:13 PM
If V does take Qarr as a familiar (which I doubt, by the way, unless Qarr has something in particular to offer V), it will hammer V home as truly evil, potentially kicking V out of the Order permanently, or at least until the end of a long, involved sub-plot in which V redeems himself. If V takes an evil familiar, and Belkar dies...Well, Roy could be returning to a very different Order of the Stick. If he comes back at all.

I was always against the whole "Roy won't get rezzed and the Order is broken forever" shtick, but it's becoming an increasingly large possibility.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-10-06, 04:21 PM
One of my friends once took a pumped up Homonculus as a familiar. Good times.

V will take an Owlbear.

Finwe
2008-10-06, 06:53 PM
If V does take Qarr as a familiar (which I doubt, by the way, unless Qarr has something in particular to offer V), it will hammer V home as truly evil, potentially kicking V out of the Order permanently, or at least until the end of a long, involved sub-plot in which V redeems himself. If V takes an evil familiar, and Belkar dies...Well, Roy could be returning to a very different Order of the Stick. If he comes back at all.

I was always against the whole "Roy won't get rezzed and the Order is broken forever" shtick, but it's becoming an increasingly large possibility.

The comic is called 'The Order of the Stick," not, "The tale of six adventurers who at one time were a group." They'll be back together eventually. Maybe there will be significant changes in the order, but it'll be back together soon enough.

GSFB
2008-10-06, 07:30 PM
My guess is that AFTER V and Haley are reunited, Haley will ask "why didn't you just send your familiar to fly after us?"

And then there will a dramatic pause, Blackwing will *poof* back into existence with a squawk, and then V will slap her forehead with a loud "DOH!"

David Argall
2008-10-06, 07:53 PM
A familiar's range is about 1 mile for most purposes. Beyond that, it is pretty much a normal animal for our purposes. So unless the animal has some special ability to find Haley at long distance, the familiar also lacks it.

GSFB
2008-10-07, 07:22 PM
V could always power-up the familiar with any sort of magic (from the books, or researched on her own). V could certainly give Blackwing whatever powers she gave those tropical birds - and Haley just might recognize Blackwing and NOT serve him for dinner.

Also, I believe the range limit only applies to certain magical powers, like telepathy. The familiar would remain intelligent and able to carry out its orders. If the orders were "fly back to Azure City and try to find Haley," it could do that. It wouldn't find her, but it might be able to discern that there is a resistance and that Haley was there for a while - that would be worth reporting back to V.

Don't familiars retain their magical creature status even if their master dies? That is certainly more significant than simply moving out of range.

AstralFire
2008-10-07, 07:26 PM
Unfortunately I find the idea of Qarr as a familiar plausible...

Man, you are hot on that theory.

Holammer
2008-10-08, 07:09 AM
With strip #599 update, will Qarr seduce V with promise of power?
I'd say the imp familiar theory is looking quite plausible? (in the best mythbusters voice I can muster).

Laurentio II
2008-10-08, 07:14 AM
I'd say the imp familiar theory is looking quite plausible? (in the best mythbusters voice I can muster).
While is still to prove that Vaarsuvius would get any advantage from binding himself to Qarr, it's blatant that Qarr itself would have none.
More, by what he was saying to the stoned friend, it seems that he is still loyal to his former master, and will not be much pleased to know the kind of interaction they last had.
"I need to reach my master"
"Workable. Disintegrate"

Dr. Cthulwho
2008-10-08, 07:58 AM

Although V isn't on a Paladin boat any more - what with having quit it for greener researching pastures, abandoning half the remaining team in the process.

The mostly good aligned party would be a problem, although they did hang around with Belkar, who didn't have the same kind of controls on him (beyond the MoJ eventually) a familiar would have. That, and for the time being V is on a break from the team in her own eyes, and not even sure if she'll feel like organising a rendezvous in the future.

And I'm not sure about mostly useless either - sure, Kubota got hoist on his own petard (mostly), but Qarr is a little beasty that managed remain undetected and active around a city and fleet dominated by paladins and the OotS. Not to mention managing to call on a ginormous fiend to do his bidding, plus all the other distractions he caused.

Not that I'm saying I think it's likely - I think Qaar has more nefarious things in mind then becoming a mage's pet, but he could get to V through a deal of some sort. And V is clearly at an interesting stage - I see little that suggests she would have a problem with utilising something like Qaar if she thought it would help achieve her gaols - since she is clearly not concerned about the parties/paladins thoughts on her at this stage.

...it's blatant that Qarr itself would have none.

Other then having the opportunity to possible manipulate a powerful mage?

More, by what he was saying to the stoned friend, it seems that he is still loyal to his former master, and will not be much pleased to know the kind of interaction they last had.
"I need to reach my master"
"Workable. Disintegrate"

Well he is an imp/whatever. I'm not sure how much stake they put in "loyal". I mean, he wasn't so loyal that he actually did was Kubota was expecting/needed by being present to help him on the ship.

AKA_Bait
2008-10-08, 08:38 AM
While is still to prove that Vaarsuvius would get any advantage from binding himself to Qarr, it's blatant that Qarr itself would have none.

Why's that? I should think ensuring the corruption of a powerful soul like V would be a pretty good prize for an Imp. V would at least be getting a more competenet lab assistant who wouldn't balk at any opptions V might think required.

Where are you getting this from? He abandoned Kubota. He clearly did have a plan to get on to Hinjo's ship, but I see no reason for that to mean he intended to rescue Kubota. I still think he went below and got some new orders, possibly relating to V and the gates.

Laurentio II
2008-10-08, 08:41 AM
And I'm not sure about mostly useless either - sure, Kubota got hoist on his own petard (mostly), but Qarr is a little beasty that managed remain undetected and active around a city and fleet dominated by paladins (a) and the OotS (b). Not to mention managing to call on a ginormous fiend to do his bidding (c), plus all the other distractions he caused (d).
Red indexes added by me.
a) Qarr hidden in a noble private house and lately ship, where there was no paladin, and no one other that loyal and likely corrupted servants.
b) For the time and attention they paid to Kubota during their other mission and side quests, he could have had a Terrasque in the garden, or an harem of female mind layer serving his junk. Ship. I meant ship.
c) The red fiend was binded by a game debt that Qarr himself was surprised to gain. So, sheer luck or plot demand.
d) Qarr has been, admittedly, a failure at doing his duty. What did he achieved so far?

Beside, I acknowledge that you are now right on this:

Although V isn't on a Paladin boat any more - what with having quit it for greener researching pastures, abandoning half the remaining team in the process.
So, all options (1) are open. Time will tell.

1 - All BUT Vaarsuvius became a lich.

I still think he went below and got some new orders, possibly relating to V and the gates.
Question: aren't fiend limited to a Gate a day? I don't play D&D enough, but Sabine told something like it.
Obviously, he could have used a friend to go back, but somehow it seems me a stretched theory.

CheezItMan
2008-10-08, 08:43 AM
We have enough "crazy theories about Vaarsuvius" that we could make a list about crazy theories about crazy theories about Vaarsuvius.

"Someone will propose that Vaarsuvius is only half elf!"
"Next year Vaarsuvius will multiclass to sorceress"
"V is Blackwing familiar"

Considering the new strip, I feel... justified in my "waky" theory.

NENAD
2008-10-08, 09:36 AM
Give in to your anger... (http://www.eadcentral.com/go/1/1/0/http://www.elite.net/~gurpal/movie1.htm)

AKA_Bait
2008-10-08, 09:46 AM
Question: aren't fiend limited to a Gate a day? I don't play D&D enough, but Sabine told something like it.
Obviously, he could have used a friend to go back, but somehow it seems me a stretched theory.

Well, we know that Sabine was so limited, can't be sure about Qarr. We know he's not your run of the mill Imp at this point anyway. Going by the standard rules Sabine shouldn't have been able to plane shift herself even once per day and Qarr shouldn't have been able to summon that retarted pit fiend.

That said, even if he is limited to once per day it's not a problem. Qarr vanishes at night (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0585.html) and we don't see him again until the next day. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0599.html) So he could have plane shifted that night and back again the next morning.

Holammer
2008-10-08, 09:46 AM
I think Qarr like Sabine is on the lookout for evil stuff to report to his master(s), only he works for the other side of the evil fence. Devil vs Demon style. Proving his worth for V to become a companion or familiar would be reasonable to further his ambitions.

Laurentio II
2008-10-08, 10:02 AM
Going by the standard rules [...] Qarr shouldn't have been able to summon that retarted pit fiend.
He didn't. Apparently, he just contacted him, by intimately knowing him. The fiend come just due a game debt.

That said, even if he is limited to once per day it's not a problem. Qarr vanishes at night (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0585.html) and we don't see him again until the next day. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0599.html) So he could have plane shifted that night and back again the next morning.
I missed it. Ok, Qarr could have contacted his Master of the Abyss. While stretched, it's a viable theory.

AKA_Bait
2008-10-08, 10:11 AM
He didn't. Apparently, he just contacted him, by intimately knowing him. The fiend come just due a game debt.

My point was that with both the standard Pit Fiend and the standard Imp there is no actual mechanism in D&D for the Pit Fiend to come were they both standard monsters. Pit Fiends don't have planeshift either.

I missed it. Ok, Qarr could have contacted his Master of the Abyss. While stretched, it's a viable theory.

For Quarr it would be the Nine Hells actually, if the OotS is using the same planar cosmology as 3.5, which they may very well not be. Imps are Devils and not Demons. The Abyss is the demon's neck of the woods.

Nerdanel
2008-10-08, 11:04 AM
An imp would be a boon for V's search of Haley due to their ability to cast commune 1/week to ask six questions. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm#imp)

However, in order to get Qarr as a familiar, V would need to have taken the improved familiar feat. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedFamiliar) Considering the thought V has given to familiars in this strip, I think it's unlikely that V would have spent a feat to upgrade that particular class feature, although he might surprise us... Then there is the possibility of Qarr getting the position of an official hanger-on instead of a familiar.

Or V might just blast Qarr for all the XP they didn't get for killing the pit fiend since it was a summoned creature whose CR was baked into Qarr's. Ding! A new level in wizard!

Laurentio II
2008-10-08, 11:13 AM
An imp would be a boon for V's search of Haley due to their ability to cast commune 1/week to ask six questions. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm#imp)
Good. This could be the ground for an unholy alliance.
Side note: almost every single deity in OotS cosmos is selfish, moronic or insane. Or two of the former. Or all.

black_Lizzard
2008-10-08, 11:28 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that Qarr will become V's new familiar? He/she's going on the "correct" path to get an imp familiar, and he is unemployed right now.

Besides Blackwing isn't exactly a great asset or even liked/remembered by V.

Qarr better not become a prominent character... I hate imps, their only purpose tends to be annoy the reader to death.

Manga Shoggoth
2008-10-08, 11:38 AM
b) For the time and attention they paid to Kubota during their other mission and side quests, he could have had a Terrasque in the garden, or an harem of female mind layer serving his junk. Ship. I meant ship.

Given the particular way you misspelled "flayer", I am rather grateful for this clarification.

("Lay" is, of course, a euphimism for... well... let's say "serving his junk")

Laurentio II
2008-10-08, 11:45 AM
Given the particular way you misspelled "flayer", I am rather grateful for this clarification.
Who told you that it was a misspelling?
Next time I'll use "Mind F-layer", for clarity. But I'm worried on the meaning that people would give to the "F".

Jorrath_Zek
2008-10-08, 01:02 PM
Since the Giant Devil failed to kill the humans on the Island, the debt to Qarr has yet to be paid. Now presuming that he and Qarr are actually old friends or a sort, Qarr may feel very badly for having cause this old friend to be imprisoned in a stone existence.

Now Qarr has seen the casting wizard just fly by, and here's an oportunity for him to get that same wizard to remove the enchantment that changed his old poker buddy to stone...

Maybe V will make a good deal with the Devil, and get the unrestricted servitude of the Giant Devil for the rest of his short mortal life as a bargain for Qarr getting his friend returned to Flesh...

Now, that's some serious Ultimate Arcane Power... Especially, since we don't actually know exactly who this giant Devil is. What we do know is that the other giant devils would most likely destroy the weak-minded one unless it had some seriously powerful alliances... Who is it's mom?...

Or maybe Qarr will broker the deal between those seriously powerful alliances and V to get the moronic Giant Devil home safe and sound and grounded... Seriously, who is his mom (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0591.html)?

David Argall
2008-10-08, 05:01 PM
Since the Giant Devil failed to kill the humans on the Island, the debt to Qarr has yet to be paid.

Now this depends on the exact nature of the debt. Often trying is deemed as good as succeeding.

However, I doubt it matters here. Big boy has had his time on stage and will be just a statue hereafter.

Voyager_I
2008-10-08, 07:29 PM
Considering that V's hot off reducing one cliche to a small pile of dust and assorted magic items, I wouldn't bet too heavily on the short-term survival of the imp responsible for many of the bemoaned distractions.

GSFB
2008-10-08, 10:24 PM
From the way Qarr is taking off in pursuit of V from behind, my guess is that Qarr has an ambush in mind, not any sort of negotiation or diplomacy. If Qarr can subdue V in a surprise attack, then Qarr can take V back to the lower planes for interrogation about the Snarl. And since Elan and Durkon are not expecting V to come back in any specific amount of time, what chance is there of them knowing V needs rescue?

Everything is coming together... and it ain't pretty!

Laurentio II
2008-10-08, 11:38 PM
From the way Qarr is taking off in pursuit of V from behind, my guess is that Qarr has an ambush in mind, not any sort of negotiation or diplomacy.
Could be. Immediate karma Aesop: if you leave your comrade after killing a bounded villain and insulting a midget, a nasty devil sacks you. An almost universal Aesop.

Trazoi
2008-10-08, 11:48 PM
I thought Qarr becoming a new familiar for V could be a real possibility. I'm not sure I consider it the most likely outcome, but I could see it happening. Plus I'm somewhat fond of the concept of imps or bats as wizard familiars, although ravens are good too.