PDA

View Full Version : Any Good aligned after life :including Celestial Heavens, Elysium, Arcadia or Bytopia

ArlEammon
2008-10-06, 12:31 PM
Which one of the positive after lives are D&Ders most interested in going to?

Mordokai
2008-10-06, 12:34 PM
My cosmology of DnD is somewhat rusty, so I'd need to check those up. As far as I remember, Bytopia is esentially Neutral Good afterlife so that's where I'd choose the resting place for my soul.

DraPrime
2008-10-06, 12:34 PM
I don't remember which one was which, but I'd go with whichever one was the most chaotic.

Kaelaroth
2008-10-06, 12:36 PM
I think Bytopia would be nice, probably my definite choice. A definite no to Celestia, what with all the sticks-up-the-arses. Elysium's the incarnation of awesome, but I wouldn't want to spend my afterlife drugged into a happy stupor, really. Arcadia sounds lovely, but maybe a little too ordered?

DraPrime
2008-10-06, 12:37 PM
I think Bytopia would be nice, probably my definite choice. A definite no to Celestia, what with all the sticks-up-the-arses. Elysium's the incarnation of awesome, but I wouldn't want to spend my afterlife drugged into a happy stupor, really. Arcadia sounds lovely, but maybe a little too ordered?

Why on earth wouldn't you want to spend your afterlife drugged into a happy stupor? :smallconfused:

sktarq
2008-10-06, 12:37 PM
Heck what about whole wheel?

I'll take the first level of our CG corner please (Arborea) ..oceans and plains of blinding white sand don't do it for me. Though Ysguard sounds like a lot of fun too. I'd head for the tower not the plains of battle...really a CCG place for tricksters and parties plus if you die you come back for the next feast...Beastlands-well I might finally fit in there....

ghost_warlock
2008-10-06, 12:39 PM
Strictly informational:

Arborea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arborea_(plane))or more fully, the Olympian Glades of Arborea, is a chaotic good-aligned plane of existence.Arborea is also referred to as "Olympus" or "Arvandor", though technically those names describe separate realms within the plane. Arborea is stylised as a peaceful plane of natural beauty with a multitude of thriving environments. Much of the plane is dominated by vast tall forests, but also includes glades of wildflowers and fields of grain. As a plane that also embodies chaos, it has a wild and often sudden nature. The weather can change drastically at short notice, changing from warm sunshine to raging winds and back again in just a few minutes.

Arcadia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)) or more fully, the Peaceable Kingdoms of Arcadia, is a lawful neutral/lawful good-aligned plane of existence.Arcadia is a peaceful harmony between law and good and is noted for its tranquility and strict discipline. Everything on Arcadia has its specified place and everything functions as intended. Trees naturally form tight rows in orchards and streams snake across the perfectly flat plains in complex mathematical routes. Large geometric cities are perfectly laid out with efficient roads and beautiful architecture.

The Orb of Day and Night is a huge sphere that sits atop the tallest mountain in Arcadia, one side is illuminated and the other dark. The orb rotates at a constant speed so that exactly half of the plane is in darkness while the other half is illuminated. There is no dawn or dusk on Arcadia, but a sudden sharp change. The weather on Arcadia is always pleasant and seasons are of exactly equal length, which like the days, change abruptly when it is time.

Beastlands, the (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beastlands) (more properly, the Wilderness of the Beastlands, formerly the Happy Hunting Grounds in early versions of the game) is a neutral (chaotic) good-aligned plane of existence.The Beastlands is a plane of nature and animals, and is also known as the Happy Hunting Grounds. Peaceful alpine forests and groves of giant mushrooms can be found here. A varied climate exists across the plane, providing a suitable environment for many species of animals and plants. The number of traditional settlements is very small, with most inhabitants living beneath the trees out in the wilderness.

Bytopia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bytopia), the Twin Paradises (bi- + utopia) or more fully, the Twin Paradises of Bytopia is a lawful good/neutral good aligned plane of existence.Bytopia is a spatially infinite plane, consisting of two layers or sub-planes. It is unique in the sense that the two layers are laid facing one another, each looking down (or up; the terms are relative here) at the other. A traveller can look up from one layer and see the other above him looking back down (or, from the other side's perspective, up), provided that the sky is clear. To get from one layer to the other, travellers must either climb tall mountains, or fly. Gravity reverses when someone reaches the middle point between the two layers. Bytopia shares its borders with the neighbouring planes of the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia and the Blessed Fields of Elysium; travel is possible between Bytopia and these planes at certain locations.

Celestia, Mount (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Celestia) or more fully, the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia, or even the Seven Heavens is a lawful good-aligned plane of existence.Celestia is the ultimate in law and good. All aspects of Celestia are beautiful and perfect; it is where the souls of many creatures of lawful good alignment go to after death. It is home to numerous celestial creatures including various types of archons, the petitioners of this plane.

Elysium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elysium_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)), or more fully, the Blessed Fields of Elysium, is a strongly good-aligned plane of existence.Elysium is a plane of idyllic good and the destination of the souls who sought always to further the cause of good without regard to law or chaos. Elysium is home to many celestial creatures, predominantly the guardinals, a race of celestials native to the plane.

Here colours become more vibrant, with the land itself working to remain as peaceful and alive as possible. Extended visits to Elysium causes one to lose interest in leaving, eventually becoming petitioners to the plane (similar to the effect that its evil counterpart, the Gray Waste, has on visitors). Other hazards include angering the plane's natives, who are surprisingly formidable.

The appearance and conditions of Elysium differ between each layer of the plane between beautiful forests and lakes to rugged mountains and watery swamps. The River Oceanus, its side channels and contributories dominate many areas of the plane with its headwaters located in the fourth layer of the plane. The river itself continually splits and recombines at many points throughout its course across Elysium.

One of the Planescape factions, The Transcendent Order, also maintains a large presence here. Although they don't keep an official headquarters, they can be found throughout the plane, following their hearts and generally striving for greater harmony with their surroundings.

Ysgard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ysgard) is the Outer Plane of Chaotic Neutral / Chaotic Good alignment in the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game. It is also called Asgard, Gladsheim or The Heroic Domains.The wandering realm of the Seelie Court often appears on the plane of Ysgard, always in a different location.

The layer of Ysgard is the location of a number of godly realms, including Olidammara's realm of Winesong, Frey's realm of Alfheim, Selune and Soma's shared realm of Gates of the Moon, Surtr and Thrym's realm of Jotunheim, Bast's realm of Merratet, Anhur's realm of Netaph, Branchala's realm of Soul of Music, realm of the Vanir (Frey, Freya, Noatun, and Ullr) Vanaheim, Hachiman and O-Kuni-Nushi's realm of Kenyama, and Shou Hsing's realm of "The Orchard of Immortality.

The realm of Asgard on the first layer of Ysgard is the home of the Norse gods Odin, Frigga, Frey, Freya, Idun, and secondary realms of Loki and Tyr.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, despite my generally lawful nature, I'd prefer Limbo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbo_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)).

Kaelaroth
2008-10-06, 12:40 PM
Why on earth wouldn't you want to spend your afterlife drugged into a happy stupor? :smallconfused:

Because then it wouldn't be real happiness. And, also, I despise stupidity.

And, considering non-good places... I always though the Outlands, and Ysgard sounded pretty cool. But maybe not to my liking.

ArlEammon
2008-10-06, 12:40 PM
Heck what about whole wheel?

I'll take the first level of our CG corner please...oceans and plains of blinding white sand don't do it for me. Though Ysguard sounds like a lot of fun too. I'd head for the tower not the plains of battle...really a CCG place for tricksters and parties plus if you die you come back for the next feast

I must say, I'd be delirious to get into Elysium.

Arioch
2008-10-06, 12:41 PM
For information, the upper planes are:

Arcadia - Strongly lawful, fairly good.
Celestia - Lawful and Good. Where archons live.
Bytopia - Good, kinda lawful
Elysium - Gooditty good good. Also good. The guardinals live here.
The Beastlands - Good, kinda chaotic
Arborea - Chaotic and Good. The Eladrin lived here before they became another type of elf.
Ysgard - Chaotic, kinda good

The OP clearly prefers the non-chaotic ones, as those are the options he gave. These are bolded. ghost_warlock has more info.

I don't know which I'd choose.

ArlEammon
2008-10-06, 12:43 PM
For information, the upper planes are:

Arcadia - Strongly lawful, fairly good.
Celestia - Lawful and Good. Where archons live.
Bytopia - Good, kinda lawful
Elysium - Gooditty good good. Also good. The guardinals live here.
The Beastlands - Good, kinda chaotic
Arborea - Chaotic and Good. The Eladrin lived here before they became another type of elf.
Ysgard - Chaotic, kinda good

The OP clearly prefers the non-chaotic ones, as those are the options he gave. These are bolded. ghost_warlock has more info.

I don't know which I'd choose.

I edited the OP.

Arioch
2008-10-06, 12:45 PM
I edited the OP.

Okay :smalltongue:

Honestly? I'd probably go for Arcadia or Celestia. Yay rules! :smallsmile:

Mordokai
2008-10-06, 12:45 PM
In light of new information, Elysium, followed closely by Bytopia. Either of them sounds good to me. Beastland sounds good too.

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-06, 12:46 PM
I'd pick the Beastlands primarily due to how I'd worship Ehllona if I was a D&D character, and it matches my alignment. Elysium would be great as well.

sktarq
2008-10-06, 01:04 PM
I must say, I'd be delirious to get into Elysium.

I'm sure but you also like the idea of forgeting your past and being blissed out. To me that seems very close to a kind of hell.

ArlEammon
2008-10-06, 01:06 PM
I'm sure but you also like the idea of forgeting your past and being blissed out. To me that seems very close to a kind of hell.

Trust me after what I told you in PM you should know why I would find that the best thing that could ever happen to me.

Castaras
2008-10-06, 01:08 PM
Elysium definitely a no-no.

The afterlife I'd like to go to...let me see what other people post, and then I'll tell you.

sktarq
2008-10-06, 01:10 PM
Trust me after what I told you in PM you should know why I would find that the best thing that could ever happen to me.

That's exactly why you would want to do so. I never thought for a second it would wrong for you.

ArlEammon
2008-10-06, 01:10 PM
That's exactly why you would want to do so. I never thought for a second it would wrong for you.

Oh o.k. You know Bytopia sounds great too.

Hylleddin
2008-10-06, 07:51 PM
Probably Ysgard, though Arborea also looks nice. The continuous battles (and free rez each morning) make it seem like the most interesting of the afterlives, kind of like a very realistic MMORPG. I'd probably want to be near Oceanus so I can check out the other planes.

Krrth
2008-10-06, 08:04 PM
I would like to go to Elysium. However, given my personality and desire for order, I'd most likely end up on Mount Celestia.

Flickerdart
2008-10-06, 08:09 PM
Whoever is in charge of this stuff will laugh at me and stick me in the Wall of the Faithless, not much point in choosing. None of these appeal to me, really. Eternal bliss of any sort would be really awkward.

Cubey
2008-10-06, 08:21 PM
Bytopia has the unfortunate side effect of turning you into a gnome. Or at least that's how it was in 3.0, maybe it's gone now. Hopefully.
Also, not being able to watch the sky but rather the other half of the plane when you look up is creepy. If not for these two, I could choose that.

Likewise, what the short description of Arborea doesn't tell you is that the plane can be quite dangerous. Potential hazards include satyrs that invite you to a drink'an'dance party that you cannot leave without feats of heroic willpower, literally partying yourself to death. As above, it may have been done with in editions newer than 3.0.

I'm choosing Elysium. It looks as the best option, and it seems people misunderstood one thing. Visitors who stay there slowly lose the desire to leave and turn into petitioners. Visitors. Not souls of people who die and spend their afterlife there - they are already petitioners. And to make matters more fun, your typical petitioner remembers very little of their previous existence (or rather, forgets it all over the course of several years), while those of Elysium remember much more. Which had the mechanical effect of them having 3-4 of their old levels in addition to what a petitioner already has. As above, it was in 3.0. Could have been changed, and I could be mistaken.

Or alternatively, Ysgard. Primal nature and wild fjords at its finest. Even without monsters, you'd never get bored.

Tar Palantir
2008-10-06, 08:29 PM
Ysgard, probably. If any alignment, then the Abyss, actually. I enjoy the chaos and capriciously creative methods of deadliness.

Copacetic
2008-10-06, 09:24 PM
I'm surprised very few people have said beast lands yet. Think about it. You tun into an animal, and spend the rest of eternity galloping around, munching on grass/other animals, and never worrying about anything. Actually, do you even have to eat there? Can Celestial animals starve to death?

sktarq
2008-10-10, 04:03 PM
Elysium definitely a no-no.

The afterlife I'd like to go to...let me see what other people post, and then I'll tell you.

Picked one yet?

Castaras
2008-10-11, 06:43 AM
Picked one yet?

Nope .

:smalltongue:

Setra
2008-10-11, 07:06 AM
I'd like to go where Roy went.

sktarq
2008-10-11, 03:37 PM
Nope .

:smalltongue:

:smallamused: =-P

Talya
2008-10-11, 03:43 PM
Plane of Lust! (Encyclopedia Arcane: Nymphology, Mongoose Publishing.)

hamishspence
2008-10-11, 03:43 PM
Roys was the supposedly uptight Celestia. It's not as uptight as you might think, in the Giants version at least.