PDA

View Full Version : Is a 10th level spell Epic?

Starbuck_II
2008-10-06, 03:30 PM
I have a question regarding the Prc The Visionary Seeker (Supplemental Planar Handbook).

Mimic Spell: You can mimic any spell no higher than your class level.

Does this ability stop advancing at level 9 of the class or does 10th level let you mimic an Epic spell?

Yeah I know the class is 1/2 spellcasting advancement so not that much win, but say I wanted to try it anyway: would you mimic an epic spell?

arguskos
2008-10-06, 03:32 PM
Well, Epic spells are considered to be 10th level spells for all effects that ask, so I guess so?

Seems silly...

-argus

AKA_Bait
2008-10-06, 03:32 PM
Seems to me that at this point you would be an epic character playing in an epic game so I don't see why not.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-06, 03:38 PM
Seems to me that at this point you would be an epic character playing in an epic game so I don't see why not.

Not sure, what if the DM has you fight Epic Characters around level 18; that is entirely within CR guidelines (really hard but not the point).
Say Level 21 Spellcasters (they can get Epic).

But anyhoo, I was just checking if it made sense. So that ability isn't too bad after all.
Sadly, Limited to 1/day (2/day, 3/day) so not great either.

I was working on a party of Rejects from Order of the Stick (Origin of the PCs) page 56. Mostly to see what I could make.

I got a Lumi (Monster Manual 3) for the Flaming head guy. (both has unconnected heads).
I was looking for Prc that might fit one of the guys.

quillbreaker
2008-10-06, 05:23 PM
I have a question regarding the Prc The Visionary Seeker (Supplemental Planar Handbook).

Mimic Spell: You can mimic any spell no higher than your class level.

Does this ability stop advancing at level 9 of the class or does 10th level let you mimic an Epic spell?

They (epic vs normal casting) are generally presented as separate systems, with separate requirements, separate sources (caster level vs spellcraft), and separate spell slots, so I'd think no, it wasn't intended to be used that way.

JupiterPaladin
2008-10-07, 01:48 AM
I agree with quillbreaker on this one. Epic Casting is it's own system. It says that they count as 10th level spells as an oversimplification so you can relate save DC's and stuff like that. You know as well as I do that an Epic Spell can be a Spellcraft DC 28, or it can be a DC of 6000. That PrC feature does not state what limitations it would have on an Epic Spell. I guess if the DM lets you that's up to him. I would still imagine that you would still have to make the Spellcraft check to cast it though.

BobVosh
2008-10-07, 04:31 AM
No. Epic level spells count as 10th level simply for spell turning/etc but are NOT 10th level spells. 10th level spell slots exists via improved spell capacity (I believe is the feat name) and is only for metamagic purposes.