PDA

View Full Version : Major Artifact

ArlEammon
2008-10-06, 04:11 PM
Major Artifact: The ArchoMagius Ring

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A cross classed divine caster/arcane caster's magician's ring, this ArchoMagius Ring is the work of Saradinus the Supreme Archmage, Lord of All magic(and greater power). The Ring grants a +10 caster level bonus(you heard right) to all spells cast by the wearer, and allows them to cast an epic spell with a +20 spell craft bonus. Each epic spell cast from the ring must be one epic spell must pertain to dragons, the magic domain, the knowledge domain, the good domain, or the healing domain. When a character with a DvR wears the Ring, they are considered +1 DvR rank higher than they are. All epic spells cast from the Ring may be used only once per day.

Saradinus
Saradinus took a myterious piece of magic ore from mysticaly ancient ruins on the island of Teke. Infusing the relic with a piece of his divine power, the ring became the ArchoMagius ring. The ring will forever contain the shadow of Saradinus'es power. Every mortal who possesses it will rival any other mortal in the world.
It would be humiliating, for a farmer's child to defeat a small army in battle with the Archomagius Ring on his finger, summoning dragons to devour the enemy that had just slaughtered the village. That is some of the things that has happened to those who oppose the wearer of the Ring.

afroakuma
2008-10-06, 04:14 PM
You're lacking disadvantages, curses, method of destruction and a bit of clarity in that last bit there.

ArlEammon
2008-10-06, 04:16 PM
You're lacking disadvantages, curses, method of destruction and a bit of clarity in that last bit there.

DvR is divine rank.
And there is no drawback. Its supposed to be broken. Sometimes some characters may want to play without a group.

AstralFire
2008-10-06, 04:18 PM
Each epic spells cast from the ring be one epic spell pertaining to dragons, the magic domain, the knowledge domain, the good domain, or the healing domain.

What you say !!

No, seriously, what'd you say?

afroakuma
2008-10-06, 04:20 PM
If it's supposed to be broken, it's a broken magic item, not an artifact. The definition of an artifact that makes it separate is that its power is dangerous.

Not to mention, there's little point in posting deliberately broken homebrews. For the majority of us, they are not useful or interesting. Pun-Pun and the like are fun, but this is just "assign arbitrary numbers to arbitrary bonuses."

I'm aware of the Divine Rank; I was referring to ^^ what AstralFire asked.

ArlEammon
2008-10-06, 04:21 PM
If it's supposed to be broken, it's a broken magic item, not an artifact. The definition of an artifact that makes it separate is that its power is dangerous.

Not to mention, there's little point in posting deliberately broken homebrews. For the majority of us, they are not useful or interesting. Pun-Pun and the like are fun, but this is just "assign arbitrary numbers to arbitrary bonuses."

I'm aware of the Divine Rank; I was referring to ^^ what AstralFire asked.

Oh alright. One epic spell may be cast from those domains each day. I should have been more clear, and by "broken" I mean extremely powerful. For sessions with one PC.

afroakuma
2008-10-06, 04:25 PM
A session with one PC is hardly a session. But I digress.

I understand what you mean by "broken." What I meant was, it's not very interesting as a homebrew because it lacks a compelling feature. I'm not trying to sound insulting; I'm trying to point out that you stuck together a whole lot of beneficial abilities without backstory, rhyme, reason or anything else, called it an artifact and posted it. There's nothing to look at here. "Broken" means that it needs fixing. You've just assembled a hyper-powered magic item for a... very specific campaign type; one that not many of us partake in.

ArlEammon
2008-10-06, 04:27 PM
A session with one PC is hardly a session. But I digress.

I understand what you mean by "broken." What I meant was, it's not very interesting as a homebrew because it lacks a compelling feature. I'm not trying to sound insulting; I'm trying to point out that you stuck together a whole lot of beneficial abilities without backstory, rhyme, reason or anything else, called it an artifact and posted it. There's nothing to look at here. "Broken" means that it needs fixing. You've just assembled a hyper-powered magic item for a... very specific campaign type; one that not many of us partake in.

O.k then. I'll put the back story. Its about a game on GITP.

afroakuma
2008-10-06, 04:29 PM
I'm sorry for the critique; it's just that I'm not sure why you posted this. It seems...

Again, I just don't understand why you posted this.

ArlEammon
2008-10-06, 04:32 PM
I'm sorry for the critique; it's just that I'm not sure why you posted this. It seems...

Again, I just don't understand why you posted this.

O,k I read a book about Relics... The book contained extremely powerful items even stronger than this one. There is even an artifact you can't exactly touch, called the "First Word" that can allow you to create planets, or cause massive natural devastation, and make the Wish spell look like a mere 6th level spell.

So... I've decided to see what people think of the power of this relic to see if it is possible to reconcile with a campaign session of actual D&D. If Wizards of the Coast, or Legends and Lairs or whoever published it can make money off of it, why can't I get players to make use of this item?

Atticus Bleak
2008-10-06, 08:18 PM
I think he was mostly referring to the fact that artifacts in general have some strange drawback or quirk. The Hammer of Tbolts for instance, you have to be large and wearing two magic items that normally don't stack just to wield it properly. Also, the DMG mentions that artifacts should really never be used. I was never sure why they put the section in the DMG since they also say you should never give one to players. You'd think they would just sell it as a different book.

But I ramble. The other problem (and the main reason I think afroakuma is confused) is that artifacts are generally not based on bonuses. Their based first on a backstory that makes them a cool item, then some bonuses are applied that make it powerful. Going back to my Hammer example, they were obviously mimicking the story of Thor's hammer, which he could only use when wearing a magic girdle and magic bracers that increased his strength, and Thor was a Norse god meaning large sized creature if not bigger.

Other than that, yes, this magic item would make for a very easy single player session, if you were running an adventure for a group of 4 adventurers 3 levels higher. As it is you can design an adventure for one person that is fun and fulfilling. Good effort on your part to make a backstory after building the item though, I applaud you on that.

Yours,
Wherever I am needed
Atticus Bleak

ArlEammon
2008-10-06, 08:21 PM
I think he was mostly referring to the fact that artifacts in general have some strange drawback or quirk. The Hammer of Tbolts for instance, you have to be large and wearing two magic items that normally don't stack just to wield it properly. Also, the DMG mentions that artifacts should really never be used. I was never sure why they put the section in the DMG since they also say you should never give one to players. You'd think they would just sell it as a different book.

But I ramble. The other problem (and the main reason I think afroakuma is confused) is that artifacts are generally not based on bonuses. Their based first on a backstory that makes them a cool item, then some bonuses are applied that make it powerful. Going back to my Hammer example, they were obviously mimicking the story of Thor's hammer, which he could only use when wearing a magic girdle and magic bracers that increased his strength, and Thor was a Norse god meaning large sized creature if not bigger.

Other than that, yes, this magic item would make for a very easy single player session, if you were running an adventure for a group of 4 adventurers 3 levels higher. As it is you can design an adventure for one person that is fun and fulfilling. Good effort on your part to make a backstory after building the item though, I applaud you on that.

Yours,
Wherever I am needed
Atticus Bleak

Thank you. Atticus.

Atticus Bleak
2008-10-06, 08:37 PM
Were you actually thanking me? Or was it sarcasm? :smallbiggrin:

Yours,
Wherever I am needed
Atticus Bleak

ArlEammon
2008-10-06, 08:42 PM