PDA

View Full Version : Request: 4E Metroid Homebrew

Leliel
2008-10-06, 07:51 PM
You see, I want to run a campagin where the PC's planet is infected with Phazon, and naturally, the Space Pirates have followed.

Given that said Space Pirates are still of the delusion that Metroids can be controlled, I want the PCs to face a few of the little buggers.

I would also like the castes other then the floating jellyfish.

So...Please?

afroakuma
2008-10-06, 07:58 PM
Firstly: There is a homebrew request thread stickied atop this forum. It's the most likely place for volunteer homebrewers to spot and work on your request.

Secondly: A problem mentioned earlier today is that there are fewer 4E homebrewers than 3.5E homebrewers around. Sadly, that includes myself. Without being completely familiar with the system, I would reccommend that if you don't get many nibbles on this, you try to build at least the base Metroid yourself. I would build it as an ooze with animal intelligence that has a vampire's level-draining ability and flight, with vulnerability to cold (cold causes paralysis). Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with how best to put this in 4E terms.

Mando Knight
2008-10-06, 08:10 PM
Also unfortunately, the entire Metroid universe seems to fit better under SAGA or d20 Future rules...

Zocelot
2008-10-07, 07:19 PM
Use stirges as a base, increase their level, and give them vulnerable cold: Immobilize.

Zeta Kai
2008-10-07, 07:35 PM
I would build it as an ooze with animal intelligence that has a vampire's level-draining ability and flight, with vulnerability to cold (cold causes paralysis).

1) Metroid are not even remotely similar to Oozes. Metroids are practically the quintessential Aberrations.

2) 4E is harder to homebrew for (at least doing it well), because of the emphasis on game balance. If a homebrew isn't balanced, it'll stand out like a smashed thumb (& possibly even drag the rest of the game down with it).

Zocelot
2008-10-07, 09:22 PM
1) Metroid are not even remotely similar to Oozes. Metroids are practically the quintessential Aberrations.

2) 4E is harder to homebrew for (at least doing it well), because of the emphasis on game balance. If a homebrew isn't balanced, it'll stand out like a smashed thumb (& possibly even drag the rest of the game down with it).

I find that 4E is much easier to homebrew for, so long as it isn't from scratch. All you have to do is tweak a monster, and give it a cosmetic change. You can even smush two or three monsters together, and come up with something both completely different and balanced.

afroakuma
2008-10-07, 09:46 PM
I agree that they're very much aberrations. What I was saying is that from a simple homebrew viewpoint, you have a very low-intelligence beast with an oozelike composition and an attack mode very like Engulf. Ergo, from a "hash together quickly" standpoint, miniaturizing a gelatinous cube and giving it perfect flight is faster than disemboweling a beholder.

But yes, if I were thoroughly homebrewing a Metroid for 3.5, I would go aberration. No doubt about it.

Lappy9000
2008-10-07, 10:14 PM
You see, I want to run a campagin where the PC's planet is infected with Phazon, and naturally, the Space Pirates have followed.

Given that said Space Pirates are still of the delusion that Metroids can be controlled, I want the PCs to face a few of the little buggers.

I would also like the castes other then the floating jellyfish.

So...Please?

Oh, those wacky, wacky Space Pirates (http://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic1-040907.php).

I can't imagine that Metroid d20 hasn't been done somewhere before, but it may be too early for such a thing to appear in 4e. If it was 3.X, I'd use Phazon as something akin to taint.

Since the serites is seriously focused around a single character, you may want to look at Metroid Hunters to get a feel for other playable races.