PDA

View Full Version : [4e] God-Granted Powers

Behold_the_Void
2008-10-06, 08:02 PM
In the game I'm running, my party is part of a group chosen by the gods to restore the world from The Darkness. Something I want to do is give them the ability to tap into the divine power that was bestowed upon them, without lessening their normal class abilities at all.

Now I'm wondering what the best way to make these powers is. I have several ideas depending on the diety they favor (the are supported by a diefic coalition and have a brand of combined symbols on their main hand that lights up when they're near another chosen) and should be able to do various things as they learn to channel that energy. Possible things range from rerolls to summoning the breath of Bahamut.

First off, should I make these extra encounter or daily powers that they can choose from? If so, how badly would that imbalance things to give them access to a different daily/encounter power, or even possibly allow them to expend a normal class power to use the divine power instead.

The other thought I had was make them cost action points to use. It'd give them a little extra to use in lieu of an extra action, but also gives them greater lasting power than if, say, they were to use the action points in a desperate situation to essentially Nova.

What's the best way to handle this situation?

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-06, 08:04 PM
How about a free Divine Feat? You can pattern whatever you want off of those for a start, and they're customizable to your Deity.

Colmarr
2008-10-06, 08:34 PM
How about a free Divine Feat?

In the words of Meatloaf, "you took the words right out of my mouth".

Giving each PC a channel divinity feat appropriate to their god is a fairly low-powered way of making them "divine agents".

You could then up the tempo a little by giving them an extra encounter power at level 11 and an extra daily at 21.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-06, 08:40 PM
In the words of Meatloaf, "you took the words right out of my mouth".

Giving each PC a channel divinity feat appropriate to their god is a fairly low-powered way of making them "divine agents".

You could then up the tempo a little by giving them an extra encounter power at level 11 and an extra daily at 21.

Or just allow them to swap out their normal powers for cleric or paladin powers, as if they had taken the MC feats. I dunno how special you want to make 'em, but it seems to me that mimicking powers that already exist is the best way to not break the game.

Mind the Divine Oracle and Demigod though :smalltongue:

amanamana
2008-10-06, 08:43 PM
You could also give a divine bonus to their daily powers. This bonuses may not be only to hit or damage, but still be in the essence of what the original daily power would do. Like, for example, adding radiant damage to a fire based spell.
That way, their class role still would influence in their divine gift. And, even if they all are favored by the same deity, they would still feel like their gift is unique. And that would prevent the character to go outside his role in combat.

KillianHawkeye
2008-10-06, 10:09 PM
The other thought I had was make them cost action points to use. It'd give them a little extra to use in lieu of an extra action, but also gives them greater lasting power than if, say, they were to use the action points in a desperate situation to essentially Nova.

If you use this, just remember that you can only spend 1 Action Point per encounter.

Behold_the_Void
2008-10-06, 11:29 PM
The idea is that the powers are a bit flashier than the channel divinity, is the thing. They'll pick up one mid-range each tier, and are generally fairly directly offensive in nature.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-07, 03:34 AM
The idea is that the powers are a bit flashier than the channel divinity, is the thing. They'll pick up one mid-range each tier, and are generally fairly directly offensive in nature.

Okay... flashy how?

Do you mean a Striker-Type attack? A Wizard-Type AoE? A Utility? And what makes it "flashy?"

Anyhow, I'd say look at a class power list until you find an effect that suits whatever it is you're looking for, and then reflavor it so that it becomes this divine power you want. Dailies should be more powerful than Encounters or comparable levels, so if you make a Daily Power usable ever Encounter it'll be very powerful.

If balance is all you're worried about, remember that everyone has access to these powers, so you won't disrupt party balance, provided the powers are all roughly on par. If you stick to the powers already presented, then you probably won't screw up the Encounter Level ratings either.

Behold_the_Void
2008-10-07, 07:24 AM
Along the striker or controller-type attacks is what I meant, yes. So having possible access to an extra power or two won't hurt balance too much? That's my major question.

Charity
2008-10-07, 07:34 AM
As long as all the players are all similarly endowed with extra power then all that remains is for you to slightly up the power of the encounters they meet and you'll be golden.

Suzuro
2008-10-07, 07:50 AM
party balance, no. However, the monsters they fight are fethed.

-Suzuro

Yakk
2008-10-07, 08:22 AM
Giving an encounter-level power on a per-day basis, like what a wand would grant, would probably not break 4e. Enemies would be a bit easier, but that's it...

You could also tie it to using an action point (making it 2/day instead of 1/day).

Charity
2008-10-07, 08:30 AM
party balance, no. However, the monsters they fight are fethed.

-Suzuro

So make em fight 10% more monsters with 5% less XP. It won't be that hard for him to establish a balance point, 4e's encounter system is no so very fragile.