PDA

View Full Version : Psion//Wizard

Cuddly
2008-10-06, 09:15 PM
Which discipline of psion has the least overlap with wizard?
Right now I'm heavily leaning telepath, for schism and true mind switch.

Also, are there any beholder eyes that are cheaper than the ones listed in the FF?

Temp.
2008-10-07, 01:43 PM
I second the thought that Telepath has the most to offer.
None would make particularly good Gestalts, though.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-07, 02:43 PM
For beholder eyes, try Ocular Spell (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Ocular_Spell,all).

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-10-07, 03:08 PM
Adding Psion into the mix is cool and all; Wizard by itself is just, in the words of Elan, a bit of a downer. I love being a DM vs. a PC Wizard. Just seeing their faces cringe when I throw the most off the wall-out of the book thing at them and they have nothing to counter it :smallbiggrin: Priceless.

But for the question; yeah, Telepath is the way to go. Psionic Suggestion is just so much superior to the standard Suggestion.

Eorran
2008-10-07, 03:12 PM
Telepath is a good choice, might want to look at Nomad also. However you build it, though, pick your psionics first, then select your spells to cover any gaps you need.

I know blasting works out sub-optimally in 3.X, but if you want to do it anyways, a Kineticist is probably the best class existing.

Temp, I'm not sure why they wouldn't make a good Gestalt. They don't cover each other's weaknesses (Fort, Ref, HP), but you end up with one stat to rule them all. It's like duct-taping a flamethrower to a machine gun. :smallwink:

Temp.
2008-10-07, 03:25 PM
Temp, I'm not sure why they wouldn't make a good Gestalt. They don't cover each other's weaknesses (Fort, Ref, HP), but you end up with one stat to rule them all. It's like duct-taping a flamethrower to a machine gun.With one standard action per round, your Psion//Wizard is no stronger than a normal Wizard; it just gets to act a few more times per day.

A Rogue/Wizard would gain the benefits of Sneak Attack with its rays. A Monk/Cleric would gain increased mobility and defenses while bashing faces. A Psychic Warrior/Druid would gain the benefits of Wild Shape and self-only PsyWar buffs while grappling. Psion and Wizard overlap so much that few new combinations are developed, just a bit more lasting power.

AstralFire
2008-10-07, 03:27 PM
Namely because all you've managed to achieve is more versatility, and you still have a limit on how many actions you can squeeze out a turn. It's not bad, sure, but about the only Gestalt combo that I can think of which ends up outright terrible is Commoner/Samurai.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-07, 03:28 PM
Ocular Spell (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Ocular_Spell,all)

Eye lasers! Just like William Wallace.

Cuddly
2008-10-07, 04:31 PM
With one standard action per round, your Psion//Wizard is no stronger than a normal Wizard; it just gets to act a few more times per day.

Schism & persisted synchronicity, as well as all the other stuff that lets wizards take more actions (quicken spell, celerity, etc).

A Rogue/Wizard would gain the benefits of Sneak Attack with its rays. A Monk/Cleric would gain increased mobility and defenses while bashing faces. A Psychic Warrior/Druid would gain the benefits of Wild Shape and self-only PsyWar buffs while grappling. Psion and Wizard overlap so much that few new combinations are developed, just a bit more lasting power.

Only one of those is really that spectacular. Besides, in a group of two, the extra stamina will be very welcome.

Eldariel
2008-10-07, 05:07 PM
Wizard/Psion is way stronger than a Wizard specifically thanks to Schism and Synchronizity, and way stronger than a Psion thanks to the fact that Wizard's spells > Psion's powers offensively (and defensively for that matter). However, Wizard/Factotum gets way more actions and benefits (better saves, skills and so on) and there's really little reason to go Wizard/Psion over Wizard/Factotum.

Wizard/Archivist is also better as it expands your spell selection more and grants you access to Divine Metamagic to have spells on indefinitely. But yea, thanks to Schism, Wizard/Psion is ok in Gestalt - not strong, but since Wizard is strong alone, that's hardly a problem.

Cuddly
2008-10-07, 05:29 PM
Wiz//Fact is too OP when it novas, and it doesn't do much after a nova (other than being an excellent skill monkey and OK skirmisher and alright blaster...).
Wiz//Archivist isn't the sort of flavor I'm looking for, and having to sift all those spells is too much work.

Psion//Wiz is really just a better wizard.

Temp.
2008-10-07, 05:43 PM
If you can do the Spells to Powers (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) variant from the WotC web site, I would say Erudite//Factotum is the way to go.

If you're playing at level 13 or higher, I would go with Wizard//Lurk, using Expanded Knowledge for Schism.