PDA

View Full Version : Hinjo's package.

Lowkey
2008-10-06, 11:33 PM
#418 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0418.html) caps with Hinjo talking about a package. Now is this just a throwaway joke, or a gun on the mantle? I'm inclined to think throw away joke, but I figured it was worth consideration.

Thoughts?

Raging Gene Ray
2008-10-06, 11:39 PM
It's a throwaway joke to break up the monotony of "junk" references while still pounding male genitalia into the ground.

Grail
2008-10-06, 11:40 PM
Throw away to fit into the whole joke that was the strip. Nothing more, nothing less.

bibliophile20
2008-10-06, 11:41 PM
I would say "throw-away" but guns-on-the-mantle have no expiration date (witness recent Girl Genius updates...).

Unfortunately, unless he delivered it to another ship (a strong possibility) then finding out will entail a return to Azure City, and the plot doesn't support that right now, with all of the PCs (sans O'Chul) out of the city and Redcloak in a holding pattern trying to buy time for the nascent goblin nation to put roots down.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-10-06, 11:50 PM
:redcloak:Do you have that paladin's package?
Goblin Mook: Yes. I am handling the package right now!
:redcloak:Well, hurry up, and find out what's in it!
GM: Seeds!
:redcloak:That seed is spilling out so fast! Quick stop it!

...I am a horrible person and an even worse Playgrounder.

Liwen
2008-10-07, 12:13 AM
Mhhh, that's an intresting idea. I had never though about it that way, but hiding a potentially crucial plot element into a inoffensive joke, well quite sexualy implicit joke at any rate, would be a mastermind move.

Doubt it will happen hovewer. Too far away in the comics and I don't see how Rich could bring it back in a funny or dramatically appropriated way.

keeperoflore
2008-10-07, 12:23 AM
Mhhh, that's an intresting idea. I had never though about it that way, but hiding a potentially crucial plot element into a inoffensive joke, well quite sexualy implicit joke at any rate, would be a mastermind move.

Doubt it will happen hovewer. Too far away in the comics and I don't see how Rich could bring it back in a funny or dramatically appropriated way.

what about the gender belt? how many strips was it before it was seen again?

Paragon Badger
2008-10-07, 01:14 AM
It's a throwaway joke to break up the monotony of "junk" references while still pounding male genitalia into the ground.

Hey, a little genitalia getting pounded once in awhile is never a bad thing!

...I'm sorry. No, I'm not. :smalltongue:

NikkTheTrick
2008-10-07, 01:18 AM

Care to animate this in the House of Horrors? :smallamused:

NerfTW
2008-10-07, 04:28 AM
Now is this just a throwaway joke, or a gun on the mantle?

FWIW, "gun on the mantle" is more commonly referred to as a "Chekov's Gun".

226 strips. They got it in strip nine.

Setra
2008-10-07, 04:44 AM
226 strips. They got it in strip nine.
Well if that is any idea we could expect to see it again in about 50 strips...

Laurentio II
2008-10-07, 04:53 AM

No, actually is quite good. But to use the trope completely, you forgot -

:redcloak: "It's amazing that it poured so much seed! I have it all over me!"
GM: "Yes, and the package is still heavy. It's like it could pour again any moment!"
:redcloak: "I hope not, I could not bear more of that!"
GM: "Actually, I find the scent enthralling. It makes my head feels light."

Taekwondodo
2008-10-07, 08:37 AM
hmmm... quite a prostigous junk he has.

damn my bad spelling!!

ooooooooooooookay...

Linkavitch
2008-10-07, 10:18 AM
You all are perverts. It's probably going to be a plot device, later.

Lowkey
2008-10-07, 10:20 AM
FWIW, "gun on the mantle" is more commonly referred to as a "Chekov's Gun".Yeah, but that would send this down a TVtropes road and no on wants that.

NerfTW
2008-10-07, 10:44 AM
Yeah, but that would send this down a TVtropes road and no on wants that.

Screw TVtropes. It's not a TVtropes word. It's a classic literary device named 120 years ago, and I'll be damned if some cultural wasteland of a wiki is going to claim some sort of ownership over it. /rant off

Lissou
2008-10-07, 11:28 AM

People seem to mention that a lot when proving that Rich plans ahead, and I have to say I find it very weak. I mean, Rich does plan ahead, but there are more obvious examples. The prophecies, for instance, are obviously not something he just put there for no reason. These stuff are going to happen and most of them haven't yet. And there are more examples.

The Belt of gender, however, always struck me as a joke the Giant made for the sake of the joke, and months afterwards thought "he, right, that thing happen, I can use it later". I don't mean he decided that in the strip Roy used it, of course, but I think he probably got the idea later than when it first appears. I really think so, and I know I could be wrong, but I'd like to know what makes you think it's not the case? Sometimes it's obvious when you re-read a comic that it was a set-up, sometimes it isn't, and I think the belt isn't one of the obvious times.

And I wondered about the package thing myself. We now know the junk was important to the story and that's why Rich wanted to make sure everybody knew and remembered it was there, he could have mentionned that package because it was important. Then again, it could be just part of the joke. I have no idea, we'll see if it ever comes up.

AstralFire
2008-10-07, 11:32 AM
I doubt it'll get used again. If Order of the Stick were written by Pete Abrams (Sluggy), Jon Rosenberg (Goats) or Phil Foglio (Girl Genius), maybe.

David Argall
2008-10-07, 11:36 AM

The gender belt was a clear foreshadowing. It was obvious from the moment Elan took it that we were going to see it again. With the package, we have no such assurance, and no serious way to recognize if this package ever did come into play.

Lissou
2008-10-07, 11:42 AM
The gender belt was a clear foreshadowing. It was obvious from the moment Elan took it that we were going to see it again. With the package, we have no such assurance, and no serious way to recognize if this package ever did come into play.

Really? I thought it was just a joke about why he'd want to take it. Rich even name it "I wonder too, Elan". It seems to me that when he create an actual plot for the strip, he decided to give more significance to that item (and the fact of taking it) by using it later on.

It's not like Elan wouldn't take it, or like the Giant wouldn't have something random with no significance. We still have to see the consequences of Thog filling a wooden alpaca with mashed potatoes.

NerfTW
2008-10-07, 12:18 PM
I think with the belt he just kept it in case it would come in handy for the plot later, because

A) That was only 9 strips in, well before he really planned out the full plot
and
B) In the commentary for that storyline, he states that he "remembered" the belt of gender changing was in Elan's possession, implying that he hadn't planned it at the time he introduced it.

But yeah, there's far more obvious ones, like the prophecies, four of which haven't been fulfilled yet.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-07, 01:21 PM
I doubt it'll get used again. If Order of the Stick were written by Pete Abrams (Sluggy), Jon Rosenberg (Goats) or Phil Foglio (Girl Genius), maybe.

I know Sluggy, but there is as intelligent Goat who writes/draws comics?
Is it any funny?

Mordokai
2008-10-07, 01:47 PM

Like I already told you, you have the weirdest ideas! :smallbiggrin:

FabuVinny
2008-10-07, 01:58 PM
Mhhh, that's an intresting idea. I had never though about it that way, but hiding a potentially crucial plot element into a inoffensive joke, well quite sexualy implicit joke at any rate, would be a mastermind move.That strip already fulfilled its primary contribution to the plot by establishing the position of Hinjo's junk and the absence of any other ships in the area. That becomes pretty crucial in the immediate aftermath of the battle.

It's possible that the package was placed on the junk. Maybe Hinjo had the foresight to move an important item there beforehand.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-10-07, 03:16 PM

That's it! The package was filled with seeds for some plant that can be made into some sort of hallucinogen/poison used in turning the tides of battle.

Redcloak will probably cultivate them and spray Hinjo with the SeedJuice during the Retaking of Azure City in X strips. This will give Rich the opportunity to put in such little gems like:

:redcloak:I took your seed...now I shall slather your face with it!!!

Also, thanks for the appreciation, Mordy!

Mordokai
2008-10-07, 04:34 PM
Don't mention it :smallsmile:

You know, with your vast knowledge of plants and their various uses, you'd make a fine druid :smallwink:

Caractacus
2008-10-07, 04:58 PM
Don't mention it :smallsmile:

You know, with your vast knowledge of plants and their various uses, you'd make a fine druid :smallwink:

And with all his imaginative talents, he'd make a fine Dashing Swordsman too. He could have a large boar as his mount, and he'd be called The Pork Swordsman...

/filther off

*Filther: n. a mental element that allows/causes you when seeing/hearing almost anything to immediately identify some sort of unintended allusion to things indecent...

Douglas
2008-10-07, 06:25 PM
FWIW, "gun on the mantle" is more commonly referred to as a "Chekov's Gun".
Are you sure that's the literary device in question? A particular Star Trek phaser (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChekovsGun) doesn't seem like it would be that general.:smallamused:

NerfTW
2008-10-07, 07:14 PM
Are you sure that's the literary device in question? A particular Star Trek phaser (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChekovsGun) doesn't seem like it would be that general.:smallamused:

Okay, now that was hilarious. I could have sworn I double checked that. :smallbiggrin:

mlsq42
2008-10-07, 07:31 PM
Never has an H has such meaning.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-10-07, 07:46 PM
Hinjo: Keepin' it classy since Comic 418. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0418.html)

mlsq42
2008-10-08, 06:13 AM
I guess just add it to the list of Possible CG's.

Scatman
2008-10-08, 07:26 AM
Pretty sure it's just a joke to fit it all together. Now, who wants to ride Hinjo's junk?