PDA

View Full Version : A question of Reporting

Rockphed
2008-10-07, 01:10 AM
Today while browsing a thread, I came upon two posters that had inappropriate avatars. More specifically, they had animated GIFs which, unless the rules have been changed on that recently, are not allowed. After I reported the first one, realised that I had not followed the friendly warning at the bottom of the report screen. :smallredface: As such, I want to know whether it is appropriate to report such things. If it is not, how should I bring them to the attention of the Mods?

Rawhide
2008-10-07, 02:17 AM
You acted correctly. Please report the post and mention that the report is about tha avatar and not the post.

Rockphed
2008-10-07, 02:25 AM
Okay. Thank you for the answer.

Skippy
2008-10-07, 07:47 AM
And just to extend this a little (since I had a similar question just a few days ago and asked via PM), the same can be done if what you need to report is the signature.

Zeta Kai
2008-10-07, 02:30 PM
I may have merely forgotten, I don't recall reading why animated GIFs are no longer kosher.

Zherog
2008-10-07, 02:36 PM
From the rules thread:

Avatars and signature images must be static (ie. not animated). Animated avatars or signature images will be subject to immediate removal.

Animated images are still allowed as post content (preferably in a spoiler) but not in your signature or as an avatar as they detract from the rest of the forums when they are attached to every post.

Castaras
2008-10-07, 04:26 PM
What about images that change from time to time? Like, everytime you load them, a different image cycles in?

*had an idea for an avatar with two different avatars "cycling" each time you loaded it* <.<

Dr. Bath
2008-10-07, 05:53 PM
Cycling isn't allowed either. Sneak had one a while back (different emotions and that) but was asked to take it down.

Sorry Castaras.

RationalGoblin
2008-10-07, 06:14 PM
Cycling isn't allowed either. Sneak had one a while back (different emotions and that) but was asked to take it down.

Sorry Castaras.

Hmmm, really? Whoops. I have a cycling (two slightly different changes) sigatar. I'll remove it now, then.

Tirian
2008-10-07, 06:16 PM
I may have merely forgotten, I don't recall reading why animated GIFs are no longer kosher.

Because it's astonishingly annoying to read text when something is flickering on the margin.

AstralFire
2008-10-07, 06:33 PM
Hmmm, really? Whoops. I have a cycling (two slightly different changes) sigatar. I'll remove it now, then.

Yeah, I had a cycling one as well. Found out that that wasn't allowed by my signature getting replaced - actually, it was with a note that forebade animated ones.

That one I do not understand, since it only changes on page load.

Ego Slayer
2008-10-07, 07:28 PM
I thought cycling avatars were banned 'cos of a security issue, or something bizarre like that. Just what I vaguely remember... someone want to clarify why? :smallconfused:

Tirian
2008-10-07, 08:07 PM
If someone was in the habit of cycling through ten avatars, and one of them was offensive, the mods would have a harder than usual time correcting the issue. I don't know if that's the entirety of the motivation for the rule, but it is sufficient in and of itself.

AstralFire
2008-10-07, 08:12 PM
If someone was in the habit of cycling through ten avatars, and one of them was offensive, the mods would have a harder than usual time correcting the issue. I don't know if that's the entirety of the motivation for the rule, but it is sufficient in and of itself.

I don't think so. I'm a mod myself elsewhere, and that usually just means hitting F5 a few times.

skywalker
2008-10-08, 11:42 PM
I thought cycling avatars were banned 'cos of a security issue, or something bizarre like that. Just what I vaguely remember... someone want to clarify why? :smallconfused:

I think it's just cuz it's a little more bandwidth strain, right?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-09, 07:40 AM
I think it's just cuz it's a little more bandwidth strain, right?
Wouldn't be on the GiantITP server. It'd have to be set up wherever the image is stored.

kamikasei
2008-10-09, 12:11 PM
I was contemplating setting up a rotating sig myself. Might a mod be able to say whether this is against the rules and if so, why? (No technical reason seems obvious to me, and the "it's harder to spot an offensive image" rationale seems... excesssive.)

AstralFire
2008-10-09, 12:13 PM
I was contemplating setting up a rotating sig myself. Might a mod be able to say whether this is against the rules and if so, why? (No technical reason seems obvious to me, and the "it's harder to spot an offensive image" rationale seems... excesssive.)

I know it -is- against the rules given that I got a sig scrubbed for it - I just don't know why.

Castaras
2008-10-09, 12:42 PM
Dang. Does seem a little excessive, yeah...:smallconfused: Another forum I go on uses them a lot, so no idea why they would be banned here...