PDA

View Full Version : [Part II up!] You are the Character: Survive, Part I

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 11:21 AM
Edit: AREA 3 IS NOW UP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95218)! Head on over, Areas 1 and 2 are done!

Edit: Part II is now up! Check it out here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5067754#post5067754).

For this what-if, you have only your own real-life skills. You do not have the skills of your D&D character. This is your chance to put your honed gamer mind to work in a real-world environment :)

You are the Character, Area 1

You wake up in the board room of the history museum where you work. You're seated in one of the chairs and had been asleep with your head down on the table.

You get up and try to leave, but find both doors locked. Because this conference room is built to impress donors, the doors are made of thick hardwood (and so is the conference table). The doors have metal frames and are currently secured with magnet-locks, presumably turned on by building security. The museum must be closed.

You have access to everything in the room, which includes a white board, cabinets with place mats and coasters, two shelves of books, the conference table and 20 luxururious rolling chairs upholstered with real leather.

You also have your keys (which include your house keys and the keys to your office door, but no keys to this room), a pen, your wallet and ID tag, and your cell phone with dead batteries.

Adjoined to the conference room is a small side-room which is unlocked. It has cabinets with disposable plates, cups, and plastic silverware. It also has a refrigerator, which contains frozen meals and a tray of ice cubes (top) and lots of sandwiches, leftovers, juices and sodas (bottom). Beside the fridge is a small push-cart (the kind that people use to move projectors, TVs, etc.) and a disassembled metal easel.

The conference room has a row of windows that are not meant to be opened. They overlook the museum patio more than four floors below. You on the top floor of a smooth-sided building.

Get out of the room. :)

About this game:

I thought it would be fun. I don't think it quite qualifies as a "silly message board game"; that makes me think of tick-tack-toe-by-post. I hope it's okay I posted it in this forum.

If the game is popular I will keep it going.

Be realistic, and ask questions if you're unsure about something. I'll do my best to answer. I'm currently at work at the History Museum where I'm setting this little game, so if I don't know an answer I can probably go check the room and find out. If I take a while to respond it means my work load went up, but I'll be back.

AstralFire
2008-10-07, 11:24 AM
Are the magnet locks internal to the room, external, or internal to the frame?

Adumbration
2008-10-07, 11:28 AM
Either trigger an alarm to get cops there, or have a nice snack, read some, go to sleep, and wait until other people come in the following day.

sonofzeal
2008-10-07, 11:32 AM
Either trigger an alarm to get cops there, or have a nice snack, read some, go to sleep, and wait until other people come in the following day.
+1

Just to clarify - there's frozen dinners, but no microwave?

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 11:32 AM
They're embedded into the door frames. There is a single door and a double door. The single door's magnet lock is presumably on the side of the frame at door-knob height. The double door's ae presumably on the top of the frame, near the centre, to hold the door shut in the middle.

Both doors open outwards and the hinges are on the outside. Both doors' frames extend a half-inch past the start of the door, so you can't directly see the hinges or magnet locks (and preventing any attempted "card swipe" moves).

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 11:34 AM
Sonofzeal: You are correct. The fridge is used by staff to store their lunches, but it was originally put in to accomodate snacks for the board room. There is a coffee room, which is not connected to this room, out in the hall. Way down on the first floor of the building is the staff lounge which has microwaves, toasters, and more fridges.

Also, if your name is a Chrono Trigger reference, you is roxxorz.

Adumbration: do you really want to spend an extra 12-16 hours at work, with no bathroom?

AstralFire
2008-10-07, 11:34 AM
Are there any screws in the frame?

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 11:35 AM
None visible.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-07, 11:37 AM
This looks very fun. What about the ceiling? Lighting? Switches inside the room I hope, or are we using the fridge light?

AstralFire
2008-10-07, 11:37 AM
Is there a fusebox in the room?

Kurald Galain
2008-10-07, 11:38 AM
Surely the office contains a regular phone?

monty
2008-10-07, 11:39 AM
Climb into the refrigerator and then wait for a nuclear explosion.

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 11:40 AM
There is sunlight coming through the windows. There is also a large, fancy-upscale-looking wooden platform in the centre of the ceiling above the conference table, which hides the light bulbs so the room has nice 'soft" light. You can turn on the switches to that, and to the normal overhead light in the side-room. (There's even a dimmer switch for the main lighting. Romantic!)

The rest of the ceiling around the light platform is panelling, albeit a bit nicer looking than your standard office ceiling panels. The ceiling is extra tall, 10' instead of the usual 8'.

Astralfire: no fusebox.

Gralamin
2008-10-07, 11:42 AM
How big are the windows? How easy to break are they? Could you run the cart into them to break them? If so, could you conceivably climb out?

Are there any markers for the white board?

AstralFire
2008-10-07, 11:43 AM
I upturn the pushcart and place it atop the refridgerator, then put the combination atop the table. Then I climb them to the top. I'm 6'3". Do I reach the ceiling?

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 11:47 AM
Windows: Teh windows are quite large. They could be broken with enough pumelling (although the lught plastic cart would not be your best bet). However, explaining a broken 4th floor window to the boss might be bad for your career.

Phones: By going through the cabinets you find a phone which is used for conference calls. You plug it into the jack and get a dial tone.

When you try your coworkers' extensions they ring a few times and go to voicemail. When you try the front desk it rings a few times and goes to the automated system.

When you try the security desk, it rings four times, no answer, then clicks as if it is going to transfer you somewhere and you get an error message.

If you try to dial out to any any number, including 911, you get the same error message.

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 11:48 AM
Astralfire: Moving the refrigerator onto the table would be super-heavy, plus it would scratch the fancy table :)

However, by standing on top of the refrigerator in its normal position, yes, you can reach the ceiling.

I assume you're thinking of removing ceiling panels, which is fine. Just be aware that they're fragile and a wrecked ceiling would be equally bad to explain to the boss.

Curmudgeon
2008-10-07, 11:48 AM
You've got shoes. Kick the door down. It's surprising how easy it is to do this. Just make repeated snap kicks (where you lift your knee straight up, and then kick forward) at the latch area. In no more than a few dozen kicks you'll tear the screws loose from the hardwood and the door will come unlatched.

EDIT: It's against the law to detain someone against their will. If you're stuck in a locked room you have a right to get out, and breakage is the responsibility of those who failed to provide emergency exit capability.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-07, 11:49 AM
I upturn the pushcart and place it atop the refridgerator, then put the combination atop the table. Then I climb them to the top. I'm 6'3". Do I reach the ceiling?

Bear in mind that, in my experience anyway, those metal crossbars are made only for holding tiles, and do not hold up to a person's body weight :p

You've got shoes. Kick the door down. It's surprising how easy it is to do this. Just make repeated snap kicks (where you lift your knee straight up, and then kick forward) at the latch area. In no more than a few dozen kicks you'll tear the screws loose from the hardwood and the doors will come unlatched.

Okay, but you're paying for the new doors.

---

Do I know how the door would normally be opened/unlocked from the other side? Where are the locks activated?

Also, how long is the phone cord?

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 11:51 AM
Curmudgeon: A disabled door would probably be less embarassing than shattered windows or a collapsed ceiling, but still not a great thing to have on your personnel record. Also, magnet-locked doors are going to be a pain to batter down. After a half-dozen tries you find your leg a bit door but the door isn't loose. Maybe if you had a better method?

Gralamin
2008-10-07, 11:53 AM
Windows: Teh windows are quite large. They could be broken with enough pumelling (although the lught plastic cart would not be your best bet). However, explaining a broken 4th floor window to the boss might be bad for your career.

I don't see why that should matter. My goal is obviously to get out, not to keep my job. Besides, I've been locked in by him.
I'd break the windows. If that starts an alarm, then I'll wait for 911, otherwise, I'll start using my keys (Or a sharp knife, if I can find one), to start dissecting the chairs leather to make myself a rope.

AstralFire
2008-10-07, 11:53 AM
Bear in mind that, in my experience anyway, those metal crossbars are made only for holding tiles, and do not hold up to a person's body weight :p

Ah, but the pipes in them will.

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 11:54 AM
Do I know how the door would normally be opened/unlocked from the other side? Where are the locks activated?

Also, how long is the phone cord?

You've only ever seen the doors locked when you've stayed late at work. They're probably on a timer, or else done manually by security. You haven't seen anything obvious, like a "Magnet Lock Activation" button or anything.

The cord from wall to phone is longer than normal (so it can reach the middle of the conference table); let's say 12'. The cord from phone to receiver is normall, 3'.

Starbuck_II
You've got shoes. Kick the door down. It's surprising how easy it is to do this. Just make repeated snap kicks (where you lift your knee straight up, and then kick forward) at the latch area. In no more than a few dozen kicks you'll tear the screws loose from the hardwood and the door will come unlatched.

EDIT: It's against the law to detain someone against their will. If you're stuck in a locked room you have a right to get out, and breakage is the responsibility of those who failed to provide emergency exit capability.

Remember, you work there. Your boss might be upset I'm assuming.

OP: Describe the "a disassembled metal easel". What does it do normally? (I'm not up on that term)

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon: A disabled door would probably be less embarassing than shattered windows or a collapsed ceiling, but still not a great thing to have on your personnel record.
As I mentioned in my edit, it's against the law to detain you. It would be against labor laws to in any way have your lawful exit -- even with breakage -- impair your future employment or compensation.

Flashlight
2008-10-07, 11:55 AM
How hard is the ironwood door (I'm no wood expert)? I'm putting either the refrigerator or the shelf (after removing the books) on the cart, make room in the main room and use my sprint skills to accelerate the cart into the door. (I suck at these games)

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-07, 11:56 AM
Ah, but the pipes in them will.

Good call, though finding pipes in the ceiling above the top floor might be unlikely-- what do you say, AP, are there pipes in the ceiling here?

EDIT: Also I second a request for a description of the easel. metal tube legs/bars, or what? Does it have paper?

JBento
2008-10-07, 11:58 AM
Do I have money in my wallet?

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-07, 12:01 PM
How far is it from the door to the wall directly across from it?

Starbuck_II
2008-10-07, 12:02 PM
Are there any electrical devices in the room like lamps, etc that are mobile?
If so do any of them have power?

If I am able to do it right I can jury rig the circuits to create a EMP (it worked in Toy Soldiers with a power line...just need a big enough one). All hypothetical, but still maybe could shock the door with the electrical stuff.

Magnets would be affected if it is a magnetic lock. If it fails, I'll keep looking.

ocato
2008-10-07, 12:04 PM
Bang on the door until a Security Guard hears you. If no one comes after a good while (an hour or two), just kick the damn door down (if you're not too tired). If your boss gives you a hard time, threaten to sue him because if there was a fire you'd be dead.

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 12:05 PM
I'll try to answer everyone.

Gralamin - your boss locked you in? Your boss is way meaner than mine. Anyway, sure, you can break the window. This is officially a 4 story building (with you on the top,m 4th floor) but because two of the floors are museum exhibit space they are extra tall; it's more like six stories to the patio below you (which is itself another 1 story above the ground). There probably is enough leather in the room, but it could take you until tomorrow morning to get it all cut and tied just using keys. Are you willing to do that?

Starbuck: An easel is a stand that holds up something flat, traditionally used by artists to hold their paintings while they work on them. Most offices have one to hold large posters or notepads for presentations. This one is made of metal. The top part (that would hold something) is removed from the bottom part (the stand). Both parts are collapsible, essentially folding into one straight section.

Flashlight: it is 2" oak, so pretty hard. All wood can be smashed, but the lightweight cart is probably not the tool of choice here.

lordhenry: Yes, when you remove the ceiling panels you discover some solid handholds. There is the 2x4" framing of the top of the wall and a large maybe-sturdy bundle of network cables. The space between the room's ceiling and the real ceiling is only 2.5' high and you will need to crawl over the wall-top and remove more panels to get down, all without damaging ceiling. Then there's the drop to the floor. Describe how you tackle it.

LibraryOgre
2008-10-07, 12:06 PM
I use my cell phone to call the police, explaining the situation. That assumes I don't have my laptop and can look up phone numbers for my co-workers.

Dr Bwaa
Are there any electrical devices in the room like lamps, etc that are mobile?
If so do any of them have power?

If I am able to do it right I can jury rig the circuits to create a EMP (it worked in Toy Soldiers with a power line...just need a big enough one). All hypothetical, but still maybe could shock the door with the electrical stuff.

Magnets would be affected if it is a magnetic lock. If it fails, I'll keep looking.

Best you'll get here is 20A, 240V, maybe. Probably not enough for an EMP made of lamp wire :p but I am working on a similar idea already so stick with me :smallbiggrin:

Jack Zander
I'd search through the bookcase to see if anyone is hiding spare keys or anything in there. At least I'll hope to find an interesting read for 12 hours. If I need to pee, I'll use one of the bottles in the fridge (or did you say there was a sink?)

Curmudgeon
2008-10-07, 12:09 PM
Curmudgeon: A disabled door would probably be less embarassing than shattered windows or a collapsed ceiling, but still not a great thing to have on your personnel record. Also, magnet-locked doors are going to be a pain to batter down. After a half-dozen tries you find your leg a bit door but the door isn't loose. Maybe if you had a better method? Based on my Karate training, bicycle riding muscles, actual construction demolition experience, and choice of footwear with good cushiony soles, it would take a lot more than a half dozen kicks to make my leg sore. But I've got two legs, so I can switch.

Piggy Knowles
2008-10-07, 12:09 PM
Phones: By going through the cabinets you find a phone which is used for conference calls. You plug it into the jack and get a dial tone.

What model phone is it? And the phone jack - is it a standard phone line? What kind of cabling? Cat-3, Cat-5, or Cat-6, I'm assuming, with the latter two intended for both phone and data going through.

These are not idle questions - I've spent a lot of time installing and taking apart phones. If I can get a dial tone, I know there's power running through those phone lines. I'll be damned if I'm going to be stuck in here :)

Adumbration
2008-10-07, 12:10 PM
Another option is to cut up a telephone wire and recharge the cellphone battery. Shouldn't be too hard, and you only need a few minutes charge for calling your boss. And since the telephone doesn't work in any case, I'll be damned if I pay for it.

Jack Zander
2008-10-07, 12:10 PM
Ah, so we can climb through the ceiling. I've jumped down 10 foot high places before without damage. You tube it to see how it's done. I'm also only 110 lbs so I guess I don't fall as hard as most people.

Though, if I could see a table I'd jump down onto that.

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 12:11 PM
Okay, the room is like 18' x 30' with a 5x8' sideroom. The windows are in the long wall. No sink.

You have no laptop and your cellphone is dead, remember? (ran out of battery power). But you may recall that you have a working landline, and that you get an error message whenever you try to dial an outside number. Pretty unusual.

No security guards come when you holler.

Good call on finding a book to read - yeah there are some good ones in there. (Have to showcase the museum's publications to the donors.)

Anyone who waits out the night will find that no coworkers arrive the next day. What day of the week was it? It wasn't the weekend, was it? How long could you have been asleep?

Looking out the window, you see no traffic moving on the downtown streets. Weird.

JBento
2008-10-07, 12:12 PM
Hmmm... can someone a bit more expert at electronics tell me if the following would work:

Pour yourself a glass of lemon juice
Dip the tip of a screw from the easel in the juice -theoretically, this gives me half a battery, we still need the positive, so...
we dip the tip of the cellphone battery in the juice, not touching the screw
Does this give me a (very slowly) recharging cellphone battery?

Adumbration
2008-10-07, 12:14 PM
Just break out of there already, and claim that someone broke in. And if the boss knows that you were there, you can sue the hell out him.

Or just break out and sue anyway. There should be a fire-exit.

Jack Zander
2008-10-07, 12:15 PM
It must be the end of the world. Everybody died!

Or it could be a super elaborate birthday surprise!

I check my body for any needle marks and the fridge for any substances that could have knocked me out.

Flashlight
2008-10-07, 12:19 PM
Flashlight: it is 2" oak, so pretty hard. All wood can be smashed, but the lightweight cart is probably not the tool of choice here.

That's why I wanted to put the fridge on the cart, then use the now easily movable fridge as a battering ram. If the cart collapses under the weight, I will use two of those rollable chairs.

To put the fridge on the cart withoup toppling it, I put the fridge on the table first (leaving scratches :smallbiggrin:) and then pull it over the cart until it's balanced.

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 12:21 PM
Jack Zander: I wasnt' worried about you hurting yourself so much as about how you're going to crawl through and drop down without breaking a whole section of ceiling. If you're gonna try to keep it clean, tell me how.

I don't know what kind of cable it is, sorry.

I think the plans for recharging the cell-phone batteries are pretty far fetched. I'd be impressed. And remember, you have a working phone.

But, okay, let's say you splice the wires somewhow to make an ad-hoc charger. Your cell phone works!

All numbers you call give you the same error message. "Service has been temporarily interrupted and should be restored soon."

Okay Curmudgeon, your leg isn't sore but the door isn't broken.

Gralamin
2008-10-07, 12:23 PM
I'll try to answer everyone.

Gralamin - your boss locked you in? Your boss is way meaner than mine. Anyway, sure, you can break the window. This is officially a 4 story building (with you on the top,m 4th floor) but because two of the floors are museum exhibit space they are extra tall; it's more like six stories to the patio below you (which is itself another 1 story above the ground). There probably is enough leather in the room, but it could take you until tomorrow morning to get it all cut and tied just using keys. Are you willing to do that?

My boss would be responsible for locking me in, because he is guess what, the boss. If he doesn't have anyone inspect the premises before locking me in, then he locked me in. If he did have someone inspect it, but that skipped my room, he locked me in by hiring someone to do a job they don't do.

I'd take a while to search everywhere for something sharper... Maybe a particularly large piece of glass. If I can find anything sharper, then I use that to cut it which would save me a lot of time. It wouldn't be hard to avoid cutting myself, but it would still take a few hours, I'd imagine.

Otherwise, the keys will have to do.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-07, 12:24 PM
Another option is to cut up a telephone wire and recharge the cellphone battery. Shouldn't be too hard, and you only need a few minutes charge for calling your boss. And since the telephone doesn't work in any case, I'll be damned if I pay for it.

Without an adapter this will do something in between (inclusive) nothing, to blowing up your phone battery. Probably not ideal, especially since we've apparently had an apocalypse while we've been asleep.

Option 1: Climbing over the wall is my first practical, though not my first overall, idea. I'm a fair rock climber, so making use of the fewest, firmest handholds I can I will climb to the other side. With me, I bring a leg of the easel (a 90-degree section if there is one) and one item of each piece of silverware (spoon, knife, and fork). Before I ascend I remove all the ceiling tiles in the vicinity by pushing them up and to the side away from my intended escape. There's no need to actually take them out of the ceiling.

Once in the midway point between walls, I'll lie on my stomach (uncomfortable as it may be) and survey. I'll then remove the nearest tiles, right on the other side of the wall where I will be descending, using the easel pieces to assist me in popping the tiles up. Once I have enough space to move safely, I will drop down through my new opening (not even a commoner takes damage from dropping 10 feet intentionally, and neither do I).

Option 2: I find something heavy, like the bookshelf. I brace it not far from the door (removing all the books first, and then replacing them. Maybe both bookshelves (I am assuming they are mobile, otherwise I'll be moving the table for this purpose). Then, I disassemble chairs and use the pneumatic pump in each of them. I put them end-to-end and next to each other, as much as possible (while still covering as much distance as I have to) to get them to the door. Once they are all braced between something really immobile (like the table braced against the wall, the bookshelf lying down full of books, or the like) and the door, I tie their activation triggers (the pull-handles from the chairs) together by looping telephone wire around them, and then extend them all fully at the same time. This should provide plenty of concerted force to blast the door open, without damaging it too much (put the chalkboard between the pumps and the door so they don't make hammer-marks).

Option 3: I use a leg from the easel, as well as all the telephone wire and any other wire I can find, with thinner, insulated wires taking priority. I split the telephone wire and use the individual wires, wrapped as tightly as possible down the entire length of the metal easel leg to cover the whole thing, resulting in a metal rod with very thin wire running down its entire length in coils. A length of wire hangs off each end. I then affix these ends of wire to the inside of a power outlet, putting the full 10-20A through my newly-created electromagnet. This should be easily powerful enough to disrupt the magnetic locks on the door when the magnet is brought nearby, allowing me to escape at the low, low cost of a 12' phone cord :smallsmile:

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 12:25 PM
@ flashlight: Oh, I see. Smart. Sure, that should work fine.

With a lot of effort you get the refrigerator onto the cart, which holds its weight. You clear the furniture to the side of the room and make repeated runs against the door. The fridge often falls off on impact and has to be reset, but after a few times you can see the damage you're doing. In a half hour of hard work you have the door cracked and sufficiently de-hinged to slip through.

I award you 4 demon roaches for escaping. It wouldn't been more except that you've essentially gotten me fired. :)

:roach: :roach: :roach: :roach:

Jack Zander and other ceiling-goers look to be on the verge of escape as well. If they can do it with no mess or destruction they might get more demon roaches!

AstralFire
2008-10-07, 12:27 PM
To remove the tiles and safely get down, I hang from the cable with one arm and use my keys to gently pry into a side of the tile, levering it up with only a small scuff on the side - one that will be covered by the frame the tile rests in.

Then I leap to the ground, tucking my legs up to my chest and holding them with my arm. I try to fall kneechest first, using my arms as a brace that will let me roll out most of the impact energy.

Flashlight
2008-10-07, 12:27 PM
Since I watched enough zombie movies, I also get the easel, any knives/forks from the room with the fridge and assort them beside the door when I'm using my battle ram strategy, accompanied by a FREEDOM!-warcry.

(ninja'd)

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 12:30 PM
Gralamin, I'll say you get it done in 6 hours. You any good with knots? Braiding? Or what? You'll be staking your life on this "rope".

lordhenry, awesome. You now have one plastic knife, plastic spoon, and plastic fork as well as an easel section. it is currently folded up but when unfolded has no one but two 90-degree extensions. A little rickety, but maybe useful.

Your tactics get you through the ceiling with no problems other than discomfort. You see the hallway below is empty and you drop down, winning yourself 8 demon roaches! (That's 4 for escaping, 2 for no mess/damage and 2 for the least exertion and time wasted.) They will kill for you!

:roach::roach::roach::roach::roach::roach::roach: :roach:

((I suspect your pneumatic destruction plan would work too but you didn't need it. Very clever though.))

Starshade
2008-10-07, 12:30 PM
My first thought is: do the room got visible locks? are they mechanical, or electric? and would they be possible to open with a lockpick? I dont usually, or, like, EVER go around with one :smalltongue: but i know its possible to improvise one, with a rigid piece of copper wire bashed flat, and the metal pins from a smashed light bulb.

Jack Zander
2008-10-07, 12:33 PM
Well, I can easily get down without breaking the ceiling tiles. I would remove them one at a time until there was a clear path. It may take a little while, but I'm pretty sure I could clutch the handholds and cables and chimy upside down without hanging more than 2.5 feet below them. I probably won't be able to replace them once I'm down on the floor, but I'm not too worried about covering my tracks. I'm assuming someone already knows I'm here or someone will find out pretty soon, so I'll have explaining to do either way.

Though depending on if I can unlock those doors, I might be able to climb back up and replace the tiles.

This game feels like the Broken Sword series. Mine always glitched up about halfway through though.

Edit: Ninjas stole my demon roaches...

Dr Bwaa
My first thought is: do the room got visible locks? are they mechanical, or electric? and would they be possible to open with a lockpick? I dont usually, or, like, EVER go around with one :smalltongue: but i know its possible to improvise one, with a rigid piece of copper wire bashed flat, and the metal pins from a smashed light bulb.

They're magnetic locks. See option 3 of my previous post for my "lockpick." :)

Another_Poet
Starshade, see the first few posts for info about the locks. They're magnetic and hidden.

Astralfire, you also get 6 demon roaches since, even though you weren't the first to fully escape through the ceiling, I think you were the first to start climbing up there.

:roach::roach::roach::roach::roach::roach:

they loves their daddy

hamlet
2008-10-07, 12:34 PM
Use a pen to pop the hinges on one of the doors (as they likely open into the room like most others would).

Use the keys to get into my office.

Use phone to leave a message with my boss, his boss, and maintenance explaining what happened and what you did and that "repairs" should take no more than 10 minutes. Explain that the room in question should not be locked at night unless others who might need to make use of it also have keys for just such an emergency.

Go home.

Gralamin
Gralamin, I'll say you get it done in 6 hours. You any good with knots? Braiding? Or what? You'll be staking your life on this "rope".

I'm pretty good with knots. Once its done, I kick out all the glass left in a window, to stop it from cutting into the rope. I move the table over, and tie it a table leg, and start climbing down. If I survive and escape, I'm suing my boss.

AstralFire
Hey, I wasn't only the first to start climbing, I figured out there'd be other stuff to grab onto besides the frame! I just had to take a break for lunch!

Another_Poet
Also 6 to Jack Zander, who was also a ceiling entrepeneur

:roach::roach::roach::roach::roach::roach:

they are your devoted fans...

Flashlight
2008-10-07, 12:35 PM
Is the game over for those who escaped or is it really just starting with escaping the museum?

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 12:35 PM
Hey, I wasn't only the first to start climbing, I figured out there'd be other stuff to grab onto besides the frame! I just had to take a break for lunch!

Okay Astral, two stragglers join you.

:roach: :roach:

they're sorry they're late :)

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 12:37 PM
Is the game over for those who escaped or is it really just starting with escaping the museum?

Well I'm glad you asked :)

It is over for now as I need to go to lunch but I intend to make more for the next areas, since people seem to like it.

Gralamin may win some roaches yet if he doesn't break his neck on the way down.

ap

JBento
2008-10-07, 12:38 PM
I take it we can't see/access the maglocks power cord?

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-07, 12:39 PM
It is over for now as I need to go to lunch but I intend to make more for the next areas, since people seem to like it.

Yes, please! I was assuming that you'd reveal the next bit when everyone(ish) had escaped :smallsmile:

Gralamin
Well I'm glad you asked :)

Gralamin may win some roaches yet if he doesn't break his neck on the way down.

ap

Well, I was originally thinking the ceiling, but decided not to, due to my claustrophobia. But as I said earlier

I'm pretty good with knots. Once its done, I kick out all the glass left in a window, to stop it from cutting into the rope. I move the table over, and tie it a table leg, and start climbing down. If I survive and escape, I'm suing my boss.

Also, I'm hoping for a reward of some kind for costing my boss the most money >.>

Tadanori Oyama
Hmm, I'd have checked the room and waited (I don't want to get fired and admitting I fell on the job would likely do that, even if smashing stuff to get out was justified...). When no one came I began to check through the side room for supplies. After a few hours I am becoming unnerved. I am not a physically adept individual and don't think to check the ceiling or try to bash down the door.

I sleep for the night (which is difficult, having just woken from my nap). Upon seeing no one arrive the next day and the lack of activity around and outside panic begins to set in.

However, I attempt to maintain my cool and rationalize that if something has happened in the outside world I am much safer here (where things are apparently still locked) than elsewhere and stay in the room for as long as my supplies (food and water) hold out which I presume would be at least two or three days. As for certain biological functions, I will do what I can with the food containers and (I assume) the trash can and trash bag. It will quickly become unpleasant smelling, but I can survive that.

To keep myself sane I attempt for formula wild ideas on how to escape and use the white board to illistrate them, as well as reading the available books.

Curmudgeon
2008-10-07, 12:41 PM
Option 3: I use a leg from the easel, as well as all the telephone wire and any other wire I can find, with thinner, insulated wires taking priority. I split the telephone wire and use the individual wires, wrapped as tightly as possible down the entire length of the metal easel leg to cover the whole thing, resulting in a metal rod with very thin wire running down its entire length in coils. A length of wire hangs off each end. I then affix these ends of wire to the inside of a power outlet, putting the full 10-20A through my newly-created electromagnet. This should be easily powerful enough to disrupt the magnetic locks on the door when the magnet is brought nearby, allowing me to escape at the low, low cost of a 12' phone cord :smallsmile: You can't make an electromagnet using alternating current. See here. (http://van.physics.uiuc.edu/qa/listing.php?id=2342)

AstralFire
2008-10-07, 12:42 PM
You can't make an electromagnet using alternating current. See here. (http://van.physics.uiuc.edu/qa/listing.php?id=2342)

The power in a phone line is DC, only the voice is AC.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-07, 12:46 PM
You can't make an electromagnet using alternating current. See here. (http://van.physics.uiuc.edu/qa/listing.php?id=2342)

dammit I knew there was some reason wall jacks don't work right. I'll have to steal a converter from something in the room first. I don't suppose the fridge has an ac-to-dc converter on it? (I'm hoping for something that won't lower the voltage/amplitude too much, not that it matters too much now. If I can't find anything I'll use the actual phone power, as that is DC I believe)

^EDIT: yes, apparently it is.

Gralamin
2008-10-07, 12:47 PM

I've seen some electromagnets based on a solenoid that work with normal outlets. Though that is a pseudo rail-gun... Though its been a while since I saw them, so I may be forgetting something. (Such as a converter)

Starbuck_II
2008-10-07, 12:51 PM
The power in a phone line is DC, only the voice is AC.

So my original plan worked but I should have used the phone not lamps..doh!
Ah, well, I had the right idea wrong method.
In horseshoes I still get a point! :smallbiggrin:

DrizztFan24
2008-10-07, 12:55 PM
I would definately go wiht the ceiling route. The building should have small wall sections (6" above the tiles about 7" across, if not more for the big doors) that I can walk across. I will use my photographic memory and spacial orientation to get myself to the exit along the wall (is it a sub-ceiling?).

This will get me out of the room and to the stairs, it is easy to remove the tiles from the top and land below, rolling to absorb impact. I'm 6'2, 125 lbs, and very agile/dextrous.

snoopy13a
2008-10-07, 01:24 PM
1) Look for a phone. If there is one, call the front desk and ask security to me out.

2) If there isn't a phone then I'll go to the fridge, eat dinner and go to sleep. Trying to break out would possibly destroy museum equipment and could get me fired.

chiasaur11
2008-10-07, 01:34 PM
Say "Pazazu" three times.

Wish for a candle of invocation.
Summon an Efriti, and use on of the wishes to get out, one to restore any lost lawful or goodness, and one for a human sized hamster ball, because those are awesome.

Of course, if the plan fails at step one, I begin to dig away the wall with a spoon. It'll keep me busy until someone opens the door, at any rate. Plus, if the world is overwhelmed by the undead, aliens, robots, etc. I'll have learned how to break things with a spoon, and the weird weapon gimmick guy usually lasts at least halfway through the movie.

Prometheus
2008-10-07, 01:36 PM
I'm way late, but the first thing that I thought of was the ceiling, using the refrigerator or stacking a chair on the table and pushing it against the wall. If these tiles are anything like my high school, they push up easily from underneath and presumably can be lifted straight up from the others side. The wall itself is made of two sheets with cinderblocks in between them.
It occurs to me though, I'd better be very hesitant about dropping down without a way to climb back up. If this conference door is locked, likely every other museum door is locked and it might not be so easily to climb those. For now, I am content to remain in the ceiling, taking a peak every so often so I can keep my bearing. I also probably unplugged the lamp, took off its lampshade and lightbulb in case I did need to climb down and have something to hook on the ceiling and pull me back up. I'm not sure how long it would hold my weight or what else I would need, but its a backup plan (literally).

My complete fallback plan was to use the lights in the room to flicker S-O-S to anyone who might be able to see the lights. Of course, if no buildings that would have people are nearby, than that would be retarded. Also, see below.

Anyone who waits out the night will find that no coworkers arrive the next day. What day of the week was it? It wasn't the weekend, was it? How long could you have been asleep?
Looking out the window, you see no traffic moving on the downtown streets. Weird.
I'm guessing there is any populace around the previous day, so the SOS plan is probably doomed to failure (it wouldn't be my first resort anyway). On the off-chance that this is a zombie apocalypse, I take a moment to rejoice that reality has gotten awesome. In addition, I am certain to take the sharpest cutlery, easel parts, and office supplies with me in my pocket. These probably wouldn't be too much help against zombies, but I would take these as improv tools anyway since I can always bring them back.

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 01:49 PM
Okay....

Gralamin (by the way, should've said this before, but it's nice to see you again): Okay, I didn't see that before about your method of going down. Sure, you reach the patio and are outside, free.

You win four roaches! You got out, but took the most time of anyone doing it, and used the most destructive method. You might very well be able to sue the museum for their negligence, but you destroyed 20 $400 chairs and a window to do it.

Your roaches are impressed:
:roach: :roach: :roach: :roach:

Wrapping up loose ends:
I'm sorry I didn't give a clear answer before about the lamps, but I meant to. I checked the room and there are no standing lamps or desk lamps. Only the ceiling fixtures.

To the two people who patiently waited in the room, I commend you. This is a civil, if less imaginative solution. I probably would try to climb out, myself, but your boss is going to feel a huge debt toward you when she finds out you had to spend the whole night there. And Tadanori Oyama, holing up in the room or the long-term seems especially snmart. Say.... two roaches' worth of smart (I know it isn't much, but the objective was to escape after all). :roach: :roach:

Next session:
I will start a Part II, though maybe not till tomorrow. It will pick up where the highest-scoring solution to this chapter left off: dropping from the ceiling into the hallway outside, with 1 plastic spoon, 1 plastic fork, 1 plastic knife and 1 folded-up easel section. Everyone can play, even if you escaped the first chapter using a different method, but that's how you'll start.

I think I need to go scope out more of the museum before I type the setup....

:)

ap

Gralamin
2008-10-07, 01:56 PM
Gralamin (by the way, should've said this before, but it's nice to see you again)
Great, now you've got me trying to figure out why you'd say that. *Sometimes has a poor memory.*

4 is more then I'd hope, and hey, $8,000 isn't that much property damage :smalltongue:

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 01:59 PM
I was in the water-cave expedition you ran about 2 yrs ago, which was originally going to be a prelude to a Ravenloft campaign but stuff came up. I actually still game with several of the players I met in that group, and my character (Aratos Tell the Druid) is still around in a couple of campaigns.

ap

Gralamin
2008-10-07, 02:05 PM
I was in the water-cave expedition you ran about 2 yrs ago, which was originally going to be a prelude to a Ravenloft campaign but stuff came up. I actually still game with several of the players I met in that group, and my character (Aratos Tell the Druid) is still around in a couple of campaigns.

ap

Oh. Oh! I remember that now. Yeah, lots of problems with school. I now game mostly on IRC and In Real Life which is probably why you haven't seen me too much.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-07, 02:05 PM
Next session:
I will start a Part II, though maybe not till tomorrow. It will pick up where the highest-scoring solution to this chapter left off: dropping from the ceiling into the hallway outside, with 1 plastic spoon, 1 plastic fork, 1 plastic knife and 1 folded-up easel section. Everyone can play, even if you escaped the first chapter using a different method, but that's how you'll start.

Just a FYI, but I think this should go in the Silly Message Board Games (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34) board. Since you're starting a new thread later, you might as well post it there, so that the Mods don't have to move it.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-07, 02:09 PM
Just a FYI, but I think this should go in the Silly Message Board Games (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34) board. Since you're starting a new thread later, you might as well post it there, so that the Mods don't have to move it.

But if you do, say so in this thread so I can find it! I don't usually read that board :/

The_Werebear
2008-10-07, 02:10 PM
Man, stupid class. I missed getting to put in my suggestion.

I pull out my pack of cigarettes (smokers always have them), and light up, triggering the smoke alarm, which should undo any security locks in the interest of getting people to safety.

However, I'm not a smoker, so I don't actually have them... Oh well.:smallamused:

I look forward to the next section.

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 02:39 PM
But if you do, say so in this thread so I can find it! I don't usually read that board :/

I don't think anyone reads that boad :)

I thought about posting this there but "silly message board games" seems more like tic tac toe or something. Is that really the best place for this?

Reaper_Monkey
2008-10-07, 02:41 PM
Man, stupid class. I missed getting to put in my suggestion.

I pull out my pack of cigarettes (smokers always have them), and light up, triggering the smoke alarm, which should undo any security locks in the interest of getting people to safety.

However, I'm not a smoker, so I don't actually have them... Oh well.:smallamused:

I look forward to the next section.

Stupid late days, I only just came in, this would have been my plan. However it would have been ever so slightly different, as I also don't smoke. I do carry a lighter though (friends who smoke, and it can be shocking handy at times... like this) and I'd burn some paper (from my note pad) to make some smoke under the detector, if there is only a heat detector however I'd just climb up and use the lighter directly.

This would do one of two things, set off the fire alarm and contact fire departments etc, and as Werebear said, it should also disconnect all electrical locks (fire safety compliant).
Should neither anyone come or the doors open, I'd assume it would also start the sprinkler system anyway, these cant turn off without access to the fire system (all buildings have them) which requires keys and passwords (fire departments know these by standard but there are also caretakers which normally handle these things) therefore either someone will notice the origin of the fire and come let me out.... or the room floods.

Now the flooding of the room is actually a good thing, it will either short circuit the maglock (by standard most non-security (like banks etc) have emergency unlocking maglocks for safety) if even that doesn't happen then the weight of the water will break the door/ make it easier to climb out via roof tiles (id stand on the table till this point).

Lots of fail safes... and no blame for all the damage as noone can pin it on me later (easy to put down to a fault, even easier when there is no evidence of me being there as I've legged it) :smallbiggrin:

AstralFire
2008-10-07, 02:44 PM
Security cameras.

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 02:51 PM
Unfortunately it was specified in the starting post what items you were carrying on you and matches/lighter weren't among them... if you're a smoker maybe they're sitting in your desk somewhere.

However the room does have smoke detectors (of course) and sprinklers. If you could think of a way to generate fire/smoke you could set them off, and that almost definitel would auto-deactivate the mag locks. No matter what, the room would not flood - this is an office here, the doors aren't water-tight.

I'm actually very surprised no one suggested this earlier.

Totally Guy
2008-10-07, 02:57 PM
The fastest way out... I'd remove my clothes. And within minutes the door would open and somebody would walk in on me. It's a magic formula.

I'd look at a cheap spoon and question it... "plastic... silverware? How can that be? The truth is there is no spoon."

It's a museum. Spinklers are a no-no. But the maglock doors should all be disabled. So that's probably the best way.

Ganurath
2008-10-07, 03:02 PM
Assuming the locked doors are up to code on fire safety, and that nothing contrary had been stated outside the OP, the doors should push outward so that the joint bends on my side of the door. Repeated hammering from below will get the securing pin loose enough to start pulling from above. Repeat until you can bend the door open the wrong way. When security shows up for the apparent breakin, explain how you were locked in and, with their help, resecure the door before leaving. You get out with minimal fuse and a little patience, security finds that having things up to code is a good thing.

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 03:03 PM
I like your style, Glug. It's funny, as I posted in this thread I realised just how many inconsistencies there are at my workplace. Why would you buy a 25' long solid hardwood table and $400 leather chairs, install mood lighting and then serve food with plastic forks?

I can't make this stuff up, folks.

Gralamin
2008-10-07, 03:05 PM
Unfortunately it was specified in the starting post what items you were carrying on you and matches/lighter weren't among them... if you're a smoker maybe they're sitting in your desk somewhere.

However the room does have smoke detectors (of course) and sprinklers. If you could think of a way to generate fire/smoke you could set them off, and that almost definitel would auto-deactivate the mag locks. No matter what, the room would not flood - this is an office here, the doors aren't water-tight.

I know at least one person who suggested getting a book and some juice, and the phone line (which assuming its old enough, should carry power with it). wet the book on the table with some juice, then cut the phone-line. A fire should start that shouldn't be able to spread to much (due to the juice).

Edit: They didn't post on here though.

Ascension
2008-10-07, 03:24 PM
If you were to keep one thread semi-long term you could post it as a freeform RPG in one of the actual PbP threads. I think.

I'll start playing when the next stage is posted.

Another_Poet
2008-10-07, 03:32 PM
cool. It'll probably be tomorrow.

The Glyphstone
2008-10-07, 04:38 PM
Here's how I would escape.

1. I look at the table, see the table, then look away.
2. I look at the table again, and see what I saw.
3. I repeat step 2 until I successfully saw the table in half.
4. I take the two halves of the table and make a whole.
5. I climb through the hole and leave the room.

What?:smallyuk:

Rei_Jin
2008-10-07, 04:42 PM
Gah, time zone differences mean that I miss all the fun :smallfrown:

If I'd been here, I would have checked the date and time on my phone once I had it charging from the lemon juice (assuming that worked). The fact that no-one's answering the phones either means that I'm in a locked circuit and someone's screwing with me, or that everyone else is dead or gone, or that I'm in an alternate dimension.

In either case, as part of fire safety regulations, every room must have an emergency fire push button. I push the button, the doors open, and I walk out.

If, for whatever reason this does not work, I look for the nearest lightswitch, power point, or security access panel to the magnet locked doors. I then remove the panel facing with the tools at hand (keys, plastic knife, etc) and check the lines I can find in the wall. If the doors are magnet locked, then they're probably wired to the same circuit that this room is. That means that there is still power running through this room.

I get a glass of water, and place it on the floor, dropping two live wires into it, shorting out the electricity, and releasing the doors.

The cost to fix this is only in labour, as the short is fixed at the fuse panel by flicking a switch, and putting the wires back into the socket from which they were removed.

(I've worked as a security guard in a university before, and this is the kind of stuff we have to be prepared for)

AstralFire
2008-10-07, 04:58 PM
Lemons don't generate notable amounts of electricity to power anything, not even most LEDs. I think the Bad Physics website covers that.

Rei_Jin
2008-10-07, 05:01 PM
*Shrug*

The fact that I went to sleep at work means I deserve no phone usage anyway. I'm lucky I wasn't executed :smallbiggrin:

As I said though, regardless of whether I get the phone going or not, I've got a way out.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-07, 05:05 PM
Next session:

I think I need to go scope out more of the museum before I type the setup....

:)

ap

Wait, no spork? The outrage!
I demand a spork as well. Or a Fpoon whichever.

If Lemon doesn't generate enough elecricity; a Potato should. People eat those for lunch.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-10-07, 05:57 PM
And Tadanori Oyama, holing up in the room or the long-term seems especially snmart. Say.... two roaches' worth of smart (I know it isn't much, but the objective was to escape after all). :roach: :roach:

Two roaches is better than nothing. And I'm going to put my newfound isolation training on my resume. Probably left me with a strong avarson to sleeping at work too.

Wait, no spork? The outrage!
I demand a spork as well. Or a Fpoon whichever.

Well if you had a spork there wouldn't be any challenge, would there?!

FMArthur
2008-10-07, 06:16 PM
I love the fact that this is in a real place; very interesting. I wonder if the end result thread could be read in reverse to break into your museum, though. :smallwink:

I probably won't post ideas (I just don't have any good ones), but I'll be sure to read along anyway. Keep up the good work! :smallbiggrin:

Also... on a scale from one to ten, how safe would the museum be in the event of a Zombie Apocalypse? Would you be interested in doing a 'secure the museum against zombies' after the 'escape the museum' finishes?

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-07, 06:22 PM
Also... on a scale from one to ten, how safe would the museum be in the event of a Zombie Apocalypse? Would you be interested in doing a 'secure the museum against zombies' after the 'escape the museum' finishes?

Um... depending on how this goes, that may be exactly what happens anyway, unless we can find some real people outside in the world. *hope* :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2008-10-07, 06:50 PM
Um... depending on how this goes, that may be exactly what happens anyway, unless we can find some real people outside in the world. *hope* :smallbiggrin:

On the downside, the museum doesn't have much food.

Rei_Jin
2008-10-07, 06:57 PM
No, but on the upside normally a museum has a weapons section, or at least a workshop and labs where things are researched and repaired.

It also has a good selection of research notes on most topics. So, if you do need to survive a zombie invasion, you probably have a pretty good chance of survival.

Also, a museum will have a roof space. Roof spaces can be used to make gardens. Gardens equal food.

And unless you have flying zombies, I can't see an issue with having a garden on the roof.

If I had to pick one place to try and defend in all of Sydney, Australia, it would be the university site where I used to work. There was nothing we couldn't do there, we had access to absolutely everything a society could need, and it would be so much fun to blow the heads off of some professor zombies.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-07, 06:58 PM
On the downside, the museum doesn't have much food.

Can't you eat Leather if you boiled it? I know some people who are super poor ate their shoes made of leather.

Also, can we eat the other escapees? Canibalism: eat each other before the zombies get us. Take that Zombies!

chiasaur11
2008-10-07, 07:09 PM
Can't you eat Leather if you boiled it? I know some people who are super poor ate their shoes made of leather.

Also, can we eat the other escapees? Canibalism: eat each other before the zombies get us. Take that Zombies!

I would't do that. They might have sporks.

Oh, and the museum benefits sound well thought out.

It doesn't beat Costco as my ideal anti zombie area, but it moved up a couple notches.

Traker
2008-10-07, 07:15 PM

Canialism are you crazy.

Crow
2008-10-07, 07:17 PM
I'm going to remove a ceiling panel and climb up there to get out. I'm going to stick close to the walls so I have something to support me and I don't fall through the ceiling. I don't want to be at work for another 12-16 hours.

bibliophile
2008-10-07, 07:31 PM
Firstly I would try my hardest to remember how I got here, as it could be very important. Do I work here? Do I not remember getting here? If, for example, I am in here to hide from people robbing the museum, zombies, or something else, I stay here.

If, based on what I remember, I try to leave, I would make a smoky fire to set off the alarm, and disable the locks. I would use some wire from the phone and the outlet to make some sparks. Given the voltage and amperage involved I should be able to make paper catch fire. Add damp paper, leather etc would make some smoke, trigger the alarm, and hence open the door. I'd try to keep the fire as small as possible for legal and safety reasons.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-07, 07:45 PM
Canialism are you crazy.

Crazy like a fox.

chiasaur11: If they have sporks, then we need to mug them first?
I so want one.

quillbreaker
2008-10-07, 11:02 PM
For this what-if, you have only your own real-life skills. You do not have the skills of your D&D character. This is your chance to put your honed gamer mind to work in a real-world environment :)

You are the Character, Area 1

You get up and try to leave, but find both doors locked. Because this conference room is built to impress donors, the doors are made of thick hardwood (and so is the conference table). The doors have metal frames and are currently secured with magnet-locks, presumably turned on by building security. The museum must be closed.

I'm doing this without reading the rest of the messages first - that seems to be more in the spirit of things.

My work has magnet locks. Someone once accidentally broke one by tugging on it too hard. I've never seen a magnet lock that was actually designed to hold a door shut - rather, they are designed to inform security if they are opened.

If I trust my employers, then I fiddle with whatever opens the magnet locks (flash my badge, enter a bad keypad number) until I throw up enough events to log a security incident, then I explain to the nice security guard when he shows up that I'm locked in the room. Upon leaving, I sue my employer for a couple million dollars for breach of fire codes - if there's not a clear way to leave the room, they are placing my life in danger. My next action involves a jet plane and someplace with a beach.

But I assume - with the "Area 1" thing and all - that there's something going on odd. Let's suppose I know or guess that. I'd look at the floor and the ceiling first. The place gets power and air flow and probably internet in and out somehow. There may be a crawlspace or gap of some use to me. Rooms completely sealed off are pretty uncomfortable, what with no air flow at all, and not the kind of place you put your high class donors.

If I can't go out a crawlspace of some sort, I spend at least an hour listening at the door. I want to know if anything is going on out there. If I don't hear anything...

Next, spend an hour trying to power my cell phone off of the refrigerator light power. I have *never* tried this in real life, but the light on a fridge doesn't have enough voltage to fry me, so it's a fairly harmless experiment. Pull out the light, strip the wires a bit, pop the battery off my phone, and try to put the wires to the contacts in some way they'll stick or can be held. I have a ****ty arse razor phone. My phone is expendable.

If it works, call someone. There are a couple of ruses you can work from here to get an authority figure or figures on the scene. Have a friend pry open a back door and simultaneously call the police to report a break-in at the back door - police will be all over the place. When the police are searching the building, if something horrible doesn't happen (why do I think area 2 is going to have zombies in it?), knock on the door and get their attention.

From there, it's back to the last part of the "I'm safe" plan - "Upon leaving, I sue my employer for a couple million dollars for breach of fire codes - if there's not a clear way to leave the room, they are placing my life in danger."

chiasaur11
2008-10-08, 12:22 AM
Crazy like a fox.

chiasaur11: If they have sporks, then we need to mug them first?
I so want one.

If they got sporks, your only hope is to get them to trust you.

Sporks are nasty.

FMArthur
2008-10-08, 12:36 AM
Sporks are useless. And I think we're getting pretty far off topic here; I didn't forsee a single mention of 'zombie apocalypse' derailing a thread onto sporks. I don't even think Another_Poet had sporks in the room. :smallconfused:

Totally Guy
2008-10-08, 01:29 AM
What's above the ceiling? A convenient man-size and man-weight reinforced duct?

You know that generally fire safety would require voids around services to be sealed with inutmescent sealant. Or bigger voids would be rockwool, which might be easier to punch through.

Kemper Boyd
2008-10-08, 01:31 AM
My work has magnet locks. Someone once accidentally broke one by tugging on it too hard. I've never seen a magnet lock that was actually designed to hold a door shut - rather, they are designed to inform security if they are opened.

Mag switches are part of an alarm system, but mag locks are used in many places to keep doors shut safely, especially doors or gates that are of the swinging variety.

A magnetic lock can be strong enough to keep you from opening it with your basic strength. I know a guy who worked as a security guard and managed to jam his overalls between a maglock gate and was stuck there for an hour until a taxi driver happened to show up.

quillbreaker
2008-10-08, 07:15 AM
Mag switches are part of an alarm system, but mag locks are used in many places to keep doors shut safely, especially doors or gates that are of the swinging variety.

A magnetic lock can be strong enough to keep you from opening it with your basic strength. I know a guy who worked as a security guard and managed to jam his overalls between a maglock gate and was stuck there for an hour until a taxi driver happened to show up.

I imagine they do vary in quality, desired goals, and effectiveness of implementation... so tinkering with it will or won't work in this scenario.

Another interesting thing about magnetic locks - it's my understanding that at least some types can detect someone tugging at a door even if they don't get it open. Something about it altering the current of the electromagnet somehow. Can anyone confirm that or did I mishear or misread something?

...I wonder if we're helping Another_Poet plan a museum job. *chuckle*

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 09:50 AM
Awesome story about the guy getting stuck in the mag lock door. I wonder, did he have the opportunity to cut his overalls to get away but didn't want to ruin them? I figure if he's wearing overall he has enough pockets to carry a leatherman. (Heck if I'm wearing overalls I'll carry two leatherman's just so I can have "Battle of the Leathermen" at lunch.)

I'm also really impressed with some of the plans you guys have, and some of the knowledge. And no, there's no way in heck the lemon juice thing would work. You could maybe use a pile of lemons to electroplate some jewellery over the course of a week or so, but that's about it.

As for a museum heist... mwahahahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *hack* *cough*

Nah I just work here.

(In all seriousness, if we ever get to an area where exhibit alarum comes into play, you'll quickly see that I know nothing about it... and it's probably better if I don't start asking the security guards here a bunch of questions.)

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 10:08 AM
Okay, Part II is now up! Check it out here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5067754#post5067754). It's a bit more complex, hope you like it...

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 11:38 AM
Hmmm... I knew it wouldn't get as many hits if it was moved to another forum. Ah, the difficulties of posting.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-08, 03:22 PM
I'm headed over there now. This was the first thing I checked when I got home from work (normally I can't actually hang out and participate like I did yesterday; I work 8-3 every day unless I get lucky with a 530-12 shift. Those are nice since I have the whole day after work to do things. Anyway!

Kemper Boyd
2008-10-09, 12:19 AM
Awesome story about the guy getting stuck in the mag lock door. I wonder, did he have the opportunity to cut his overalls to get away but didn't want to ruin them? I figure if he's wearing overall he has enough pockets to carry a leatherman. (Heck if I'm wearing overalls I'll carry two leatherman's just so I can have "Battle of the Leathermen" at lunch.)

As he was finishing his rounds there, he had left his equipment belt in his car (just a couple of meters away), including his multitool, his walkie-talkie and his cellphone :)

Btw, I know quite a bit about security systems, so PM me if you want some info on the type of stuff used to protect museum exhibits.

Talic
2008-10-09, 12:53 AM
I like your style, Glug. It's funny, as I posted in this thread I realised just how many inconsistencies there are at my workplace. Why would you buy a 25' long solid hardwood table and $400 leather chairs, install mood lighting and then serve food with plastic forks?

I can't make this stuff up, folks.

Simple. It's easier than having an entire kitchen washing area and staff to run them.

Real silverware in a non-restaraunt can get prohibitively expensive... And, for the most part, such rooms will be serving light fare (donuts and coffee, a celebration cake, things like that) that require only light utensil use... So it's not even really worth it, considering, to go through the trouble of installing a kitchen into the building code, and getting certified as a food-serving establishment.

To much beauracratic health code nonsense, not enough benefit. Better to just get NICE plastic.

Inyssius Tor
2008-10-09, 10:09 AM
Simple. It's easier than having an entire kitchen washing area and staff to run them. [...] go through the trouble of installing a kitchen into the building code, and getting certified as a food-serving establishment. [...] To much beauracratic health code nonsense, not enough benefit. Better to just get NICE plastic.

I don't know about that... I'd think they'd be more worried about a Tragedy of the Commons situation: Who didn't wash their dishes? Where are all the forks vanishing to? Damnit, John, you agreed you would do the dishes this week! Damnit, [everyone else], at least leave them soaking in water so they're not nasty when I do clean them! And so on.

Another_Poet
2008-10-09, 11:28 AM
hehe, I suspect the latter reasoning. There's actually a sink for doing dishes just 15 feet aay in the coffee room.

Kemper Boyd, awesome, and I may well take you up on that offer by PM.