PDA

View Full Version : Some Hexagon Questions

Zocelot
2008-10-07, 07:12 PM
I've been DMing a campaign, and until now, all the dungeons I've created have been in man-made buildings, and I've used square tiles. However, the next one I'm creating takes place in a large cave, and I'd like to use hexagonal tiles.

Can someone link me to somewhere that explains the rules for hexagons (this is 4e, if it makes a difference)? I'd also appreciate a link to hexagonal paper I can print off, so I can draw the map out beforehand.

Thanks, Z. Ocelot

Mr.Bookworm
2008-10-07, 07:36 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/hexGrid.htm

Here's the rules for 3rd edition.

I assume those would work with 4E, modified slightly. But I can't think of seeing anything in the DMG or PHB with info on how to use hexes.

Of course, now that I that have said that, rules on using them will immediately pop into being, so that another poster can tell you before this post, or very shortly after.

Zocelot
2008-10-07, 08:18 PM
Thanks. Those rules will work nicely. I also found some Hex grid paper on my own.

Lert, A.
2008-10-07, 08:29 PM
Can someone link me to somewhere that explains the rules for hexagons (this is 4e, if it makes a difference)?

Links are not necessary as the rules are simple.

Make a square. Add two sides. Then make all the sides equal in length, and the angles uniform.

Works in all editions.

Mr.Bookworm
2008-10-07, 08:34 PM
Links are not necessary as the rules are simple.

Make a square. Add two sides. Then make all the sides equal in length, and the angles uniform.

Works in all editions.

You still need rules on how to handle large creatures, cones, etc., etc.

Lert, A.
2008-10-07, 11:54 PM
You still need rules on how to handle large creatures, cones, etc., etc.

Yes, but I don't recall him asking for placing things in hexes. Only the rules for hexes.:smallamused:

I'm going to assume that the link provided all the right answers, but, when in doubt, wing it.

JaxGaret
2008-10-07, 11:59 PM
The only real question is this: how are you going to interpret Blasts on the hex grid?

You can either leave them pretty much the same, which makes kind of a weird shape, or you can convert them to cones, like those in the link provided.

Arbitrarity
2008-10-08, 12:06 AM
I'd convert them as similar to creature sizes. Since larger creatures take up more squares normally, larger blasts scale the same way.

Lert, A.
2008-10-08, 12:13 AM
The only real question is this: how are you going to interpret Blasts on the hex grid?

You can either leave them pretty much the same, which makes kind of a weird shape, or you can convert them to cones, like those in the link provided.

The easiest way is to make templates of the most common sizes - transparent items such as some CD protectors work great if you make concentric circles in increments - and plop em down. If it looks like it covers half a hex or more, it's in the blast zone.

JaxGaret
2008-10-08, 01:15 AM
The easiest way is to make templates of the most common sizes - transparent items such as some CD protectors work great if you make concentric circles in increments - and plop em down. If it looks like it covers half a hex or more, it's in the blast zone.

Laying down a square and adjudicating each affected space every time you use a Blast power can get old pretty fast. It's definitely not streamlined.

Kurald Galain
2008-10-08, 02:46 AM
Considering a blast and burst are pretty much defined as "an origin square and everything within N squares thereof", they're extremely easy to convert to hexes. Yes, it makes them slightly smaller, but it also makes them a lot more circular.

Vizen
2008-10-08, 02:55 AM
On another hexagon matter...How exactly DO you charge in a straight line (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html) on hexagons anyway?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-08, 02:59 AM
On another hexagon matter...How exactly DO you charge in a straight line (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html) on hexagons anyway?

You draw a straight line to your target and count how many hexes it goes through. This is actually easier than with squares.

Vizen
2008-10-08, 04:58 AM
Hmm...Makes sense. Thank you.