PDA

View Full Version : Anybody see M?

EvilElitest
2008-10-07, 10:45 PM
I just re watched M, by Fritz Lang, (Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIj3Bk0bhL8))
warning, this film isn't rated, but it has very mature content
"Just you wait a little while. The Nasty Man in black will come. With his little chopper, he will chop you up"
"Who knows what its like being me!?"
An early horror movie staring Peter Lorre, set in Post WWI Germany. The story is about a city that is plagued by a child rapist/serial killer, and how the police, common people, and criminals react to the problem. The film is great in taht it is so realistic. Its is absolutely chilling, not just because the killer is scary, but also the common german's reaction to the crimes. the film shows the paranoid citizens, the accusations, the fear and mistrust the common people show. THe police get increasingly desperate and confused as the film goes on, the criminal underworld begins to panic as they lose business. The killer is scary because of how close to home his attacks feel. The first scene shows a group of kids in a circle, with a girl in teh center singing about how a man in black will murder one of them and pointing while blind folded. Then we see a mother with bags under her eyes, unkempt hair, and an exhausted stressed expression working in her cheap room. However, when she sets food out for her child, she smiles and reveals her true joy, helping her young girl. The young girl in question is shown outside bouncing a ball when a shadow of a man comes over her and asks in germany "what is your name little girl" The man (who's face isn't shown for a while yet) is shown buying a balloon for the little girl then walking away holding her hand. As he walks, he hums a tune, the Hall of the Mountain King, which is the only music in the entire film. The mother mean while, is looking down the stairs with a worried expression. She ask every person who comes by if the've seen her daughter, one of them casually mentions the killer. As more and more time goes by, the mother starts to worry, and eventually panic. Finally we hear her scream, just as we see the little girls lie abandoned on teh ground, her balloon hanging along along in the wires, along with an empty plate. The grief of the mother and the sheer horror of the scene is gripping in a way modern horror (Halloween, Elm's street, The Grudge, i'm looking at you) can't pull off it seems. THe film's portrayal of humainty is marvelous and only gets better later in the film

The mob unites together to hunt down the killer, led by Safe Cracker, a cold orginized ruthless man who reminds the viewer of an S.S. man. Determine to try and convict the killer on their own without the police for his crimes, they chase him through the streets of berlin, and trap him in a building, and like an animal slowly hunt him down. The Main character is almost pitiable, with very baby like face, as he tries desperetly to avoid being caught. However, in teh end, even teh serial killer is pitiable, as it is revealed he truly can't control himself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g-sfrQnwwg&feature=related) and is yet another victim who the audience feels sorry for him.

A dark chilling story and a real classic for its genre
from
EE

doliest
2008-10-07, 11:04 PM
I just re watched M, by Fritz Lang, (Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIj3Bk0bhL8))
warning, this film isn't rated, but it has very mature content
"Just you wait a little while. The Nasty Man in black will come. With his little chopper, he will chop you up"
"Who knows what its like being me!?"
An early horror movie staring Peter Lorre, set in Post WWI Germany. The film is about a city that is plagued by a child rapist/serial killer, and how the police, common people, and criminals react to the problem. The film is great in taht it is so realistic. The film is a classic and if your a film fan, really helps start the noir genre. The film is absolutely chilling, not just because the killer is scary, but also the common german's reaction to the crimes. the film shows the paranoid citizens, the accusations, the fear and mistrust the common people show. THe police get increasingly desperate and confused as the film goes on, the criminal underworld begins to panic as they lose business. The killer is scary because of how close to home his attacks feel. The first scene shows a group of kids in a circle, with a girl in teh center singing about how a man in black will murder one of them and pointing while blind folded. Then we see a mother with bags under her eyes, unkempt hair, and an exhausted stressed expression working in her cheap room. However, when she sets food out for her child, she smiles and reveals her true joy, helping her young girl. The young girl in question is shown outside bouncing a ball when a shadow of a man comes over her and asks in germany "what is your name little girl" The man (who's face isn't shown for a while yet) is shown buying a balloon for the little girl then walking away holding her hand. As he walks, he hums a tune, the Hall of the Mountain King, which is the only music in the entire film. The mother mean while, is looking down the stairs with a worried expression. She ask every person who comes by if the've seen her daughter, one of them casually mentions the killer. As more and more time goes by, the mother starts to worry, and eventually panic. Finally we hear her scream, just as we see the little girls lie abandoned on teh ground, her balloon hanging along along in the wires, along with an empty plate. The grief of the mother and the sheer horror of the scene is gripping in a way modern horror (Halloween, Elm's street, The Grudge, i'm looking at you) can't pull off it seems. THe film's portrayal of humainty is marvelous and only gets better later in the film

The mob unites together to hunt down the killer, led by Safe Cracker, a cold orginized ruthless man who reminds the viewer of an S.S. man. Determine to try and convict the killer on their own without the police for his crimes, they chase him through the streets of berlin, and trap him in a building, and like an animal slowly hunt him down. The Main character is almost pitiable, with very baby like face, as he tries desperetly to avoid being caught. However, in teh end, even teh serial killer is pitiable, as it is revealed he truly can't control himself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g-sfrQnwwg&feature=related) and is yet another victim who the audience feels sorry for him.

A dark chilling story and a real classic for its genre
from
EE

....It sounds amazing, and I knew of it(this is one of those classic german horrors, afterall), but I don't understand german, so...is there a subbed version up?

WalkingTarget
2008-10-07, 11:16 PM
Total classic. I know that there's an English-subtitled DVD around (that's how I saw it), dunno about on the internet.

Yulian
2008-10-07, 11:52 PM
Fantastic film. Fascinatingly subverted in that in a way, Lorre's character is right about them. He is sick and compelled, while they are willful.

That makes none of them any less a threat to society.

- Yulian

Boo
2008-10-07, 11:55 PM
Needs more Child Catcher. >> What?

EvilElitest
2008-10-08, 06:17 AM
....It sounds amazing, and I knew of it(this is one of those classic german horrors, afterall), but I don't understand german, so...is there a subbed version up?

yep, the copy i own has it. And that link i sent has the entire film subbed on youtube
from
EE
Yulian your right, Hans is a monster who leeches off society, but so are all the thieves.

I liked the fact that the police and the mob are shown to be so similar

EvilElitest
2008-10-08, 08:18 PM
bumb, any thoughts people?
from
EE

RTGoodman
2008-10-08, 08:25 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but my brother watched it and had to do a report of some sort on it for his film class last month, and I think he's going to order it. I did get to sit in for the class period in which they discussed it, though, and it seems really interesting.

EvilElitest
2008-10-08, 08:28 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but my brother watched it and had to do a report of some sort on it for his film class last month, and I think he's going to order it. I did get to sit in for the class period in which they discussed it, though, and it seems really interesting.

You could watch it on youtube, it is really a worth while film. What were they discussing?
from
EE

RTGoodman
2008-10-08, 08:33 PM
You could watch it on youtube, it is really a worth while film. What were they discussing?
from
EE

Well, each person in the group who had the film (several students had to report on each film, each of them on a different aspect), so there was all sorts of stuff.

-The life of both Peter Lorre and Fritz Lang, along with their other works. (Note: I REALLY want to see Metropolis after hearing about it.)
-The background of the film, like what was happening in Germany before and during the time the film was made.
-The representations of the criminals vs. the police, and the dichotomy of them. I think the kid that did that mentioned the criminals all being very suave, attractive people (relatively), while the main detective or whoever was not so attractive.
-The "politics" of the movie, such as regarding whether or not the criminals were right or just in trying to bring Lorre's character to their own justice.

There was probably more, but I can't think of it now. I'll ask my brother later and see if there's anything else worth mentioning. Of course, it's a community college class full of people that only took the class because it seemed like an easy A (and most of them don't know anything about film), so I don't think there was much more.

EvilElitest
2008-10-08, 10:03 PM
Well, each person in the group who had the film (several students had to report on each film, each of them on a different aspect), so there was all sorts of stuff.

-The life of both Peter Lorre and Fritz Lang, along with their other works. (Note: I REALLY want to see Metropolis after hearing about it.)
-The background of the film, like what was happening in Germany before and during the time the film was made.
-The representations of the criminals vs. the police, and the dichotomy of them. I think the kid that did that mentioned the criminals all being very suave, attractive people (relatively), while the main detective or whoever was not so attractive.
-The "politics" of the movie, such as regarding whether or not the criminals were right or just in trying to bring Lorre's character to their own justice.

There was probably more, but I can't think of it now. I'll ask my brother later and see if there's anything else worth mentioning. Of course, it's a community college class full of people that only took the class because it seemed like an easy A (and most of them don't know anything about film), so I don't think there was much more.
Actually that sums up a lot. Did anyone talk about the nature of human evil and control?
from
EE

arguskos
2008-10-08, 11:46 PM
I have watched and enjoyed it immensely. However, it's been a long time since I did watch it, so I have little to add about it.

@rtg0922: Get Metropolis. Watch it. Love it. It's Lang's masterpiece, and a great film, one of my personal favorites to this very day.

-argus

two_fishes
2008-10-09, 04:25 PM
I've seen it recently. It's a great film.
Not to derail the thread, but this film is what, like 60 or 70 years old? At some point using spoiler tags seems pretty silly.
I'll tell you all right now, Rosebud is his childhood sled.

EvilElitest
2008-10-09, 07:26 PM
Hey, i was going to watch that movie for the first time tomorrow? Jerk.....:smallwink:

Anyways, the thing is M, being a german film, was never as popular in the States so i figured i should include the spoiler
from
EE

gamerboy6000
2008-10-12, 08:14 PM
I'll need to check it out.

Catch
2008-10-12, 08:25 PM
Jon J. Muth adapted M into a graphic novel back in the 90's, if anyone's interested. The book paved the way for photo-realistic paintings being accepted in comics, and the final piece is pretty chilling.

EvilElitest
2008-10-13, 08:24 PM
Jon J. Muth adapted M into a graphic novel back in the 90's, if anyone's interested. The book paved the way for photo-realistic paintings being accepted in comics, and the final piece is pretty chilling.

really, how close is it to the original
from
EE