PDA

View Full Version : Who original held the five breaks in reality?

Alex Warlorn
2008-10-07, 11:59 PM
There are five breaks in reality from which the Snarl can push itself through.

Why five? No clue. Why those spots? No clue.

However, who originally held those five?

We know the Hole Brotherhood held one. And before that Baron Pineapple likely held another. And of course there's the one the PREVIOUS Redcloak held.

That leave two.

Assumingly the one that erased Soon's wife from creation (deader than dead) never was held by any villain.

But what about the LAST break in reality? The one that left one of the party's members deader than dead? Was it held by any being of evil?

AceOfFools
2008-10-08, 12:09 AM
Soon's gate was located in the sky above Azure City.

Lirian's gate was the only one the bearers of the crimson mantle knew about right up until the moment the elf accidentally revealed that not to be the case. Redcloak accidentally burned it down around the same time.

Plus one for Holey Brotherhood, likely the in the Redmountain Hills based on the background of 276 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html), plus one in the north somewhere for Kragor to die in, plus one more, which appears to be located in some sort of dessert on the western continent. Baron Pineapple is likely involved in one of these last two as Lirian had control of her gate before they realized a gate was needed (also 276), and they encountered the Baron before the Holey brotherhood.

One of these three is located in the Redmountain Hills, likely the one once held by the Holey Brotherhood given the backgrounds in 276 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html).

FujinAkari
2008-10-08, 12:12 AM
...what are you talking about? There is no evidence that the Hole Brotherhood or Baron Pineapple ever held a portal, but were merely recurring villians which the Order of the Scribble had to contend with (much like the Linear Guild, who also never held a portal.)

Also, the original Redcloak most certainly NEVER held a portal!

SoD Spoiler:
It is rather explicitly stated that the Order of the Scribble prevented the original RC from seizing the portal in the first place

AceOfFools
2008-10-08, 12:16 AM
276, linked above has the confrontration with the Holey Brotherhood happening at one of the gates.

They could have gotten their first. Their the bad guys.

TheNovak
2008-10-08, 02:36 AM
I'm almost positive the rift where Soon's wife was killed became Lirian's Gate, so that's that.

The strip where they were fighting the Holey Brotherhood looked a bit desert-ish, though it also had a red sky (although the rift could've been distorting the light, like what's happening above Azure City), which would make it either Girard's Gate or Dorukan's Gate.

Don't remember about Baron Pineapple.

Azure City's old enough to have entrenched noble bloodlines, so the city must've existed prior to the creation of Soon's Gate. (I believe Hinjo mentioned that, too.) So that wasn't held by villains, unless Kubota's family owned the deeds to the ground underneath it.

Kraagor's Gate is a toss-up. We didn't see anything else there but the Snarl, but then again, it was also the final rift to be sealed. Dramatic law dictates that it must have been guarded by a whole mess of powerful villains or monsters, 'cause otherwise, they just hiked up a mountain and the barbarian got skewered...hardly a good climax.

So...

Lirian's Gate: Not held by villains.
Dorukan's Gate: Possibly held by the Holey Brotherhood
Girard's Gate: Possibly held by the Holey Brotherhood
Soon's Gate: Held by Azure City, mostly non-villainous.
Kraagor's Gate: As the climax of a long campaign, must have been held by villains.

EDIT: Wait, correction. Didn't the Order of the Scribble fight the weirdly purple-cloaked High Priest of the Dark One in a foresty area? That'd mean goblins held Lirian's Gate before they sealed it.

Manga Shoggoth
2008-10-08, 02:52 AM
EDIT: Wait, correction. Didn't the Order of the Scribble fight the weirdly purple-cloaked High Priest of the Dark One in a foresty area? That'd mean goblins held Lirian's Gate before they sealed it.

Nitpick: In this case the goblins would have held the rift, which was later sealed by the Order of the Scribble (creating Lirian's Gate).

I think that the "Plan" only came into existance after the Order of the Scribble created the Gates on the rifts - because a gate could be "adjusted" (at considerable risk) to move the rift it sealed.

Otherwise Redcloak could have used the rift that Lirian's Gate sealed, even after the gate was destroyed.

TheNovak
2008-10-08, 02:56 AM
Right, rift, not gate.

You're absolutely right about the Plan, but I think the Mantle was still in existence by that point; the scribble section of SoD showed Purplecloak getting skewered during the artifact's history. Can't confirm right now, though, since my prequel books are being passed around my D&D group like...um. Like things that get passed around.

Tass
2008-10-08, 03:54 AM
Right, rift, not gate.

You're absolutely right about the Plan, but I think the Mantle was still in existence by that point; the scribble section of SoD showed Purplecloak getting skewered during the artifact's history. Can't confirm right now, though, since my prequel books are being passed around my D&D group like...um. Like things that get passed around.

Nice metaphorgotten.

Uncle Festy
2008-10-08, 09:28 AM

SoD spoilers:
According to the crayon section, the OotSc stopped the goblins from seizing the rift. At the start of SoD, Redcloak only knows about Lirian's Gate, which means they must have been trying to seize the rift in the forest. This also suggests that Lirian's gate was the first one the OotSc got control of, because Goblins are usually low-level enemies encountered early in the campaign.

Ikialev
2008-10-08, 11:25 AM
Assumingly the one that erased Soon's wife from creation (deader than dead)

Umm, in 276 she doesn't look like somebody uncreated...

Linkavitch
2008-10-08, 02:39 PM
Just a little nitpicking, her, but aren't there only five gates/rifts, not nine?

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 02:47 PM
Four left before they became famous.