PDA

View Full Version : [EVERYONE WELCOME] You are the Character: Survive, Part II

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 10:06 AM
Edit: AREA 3 IS NOW UP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95218)! Head on over, Area 2 is done!

This is Part 2 of a series, back by popular demand. If you haven’t already it may help for you to look at the previous puzzle in this series, located here: Area 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93131).

For this what-if, you have only your own real-life skills. You do not have the skills of your D&D character. This is your chance to put your honed gamer mind to work in a real-world environment :)

You are the Character, Area 2: Decisions on the Fourth Floor

Recently you woke up in the conference room of the history museum where you work. You were locked in, apparently by accident, and no one was around. You tried to use the phone but no one answered the other extensions in the building and all outside calls met with an automated error message. Through the window you could see that no traffic is moving on the normally bustling downtown streets.

You eventually managed to climb through the ceiling to get out of the conference room. You are now in the hallway just outside it. You have your house and office keys, your wallet, your dead cell phone, your ID tag and a pen. From the conference room you picked up a fork, knife and spoon (all plastic) and a metal section of a collapsible easel. This means all of your pockets and one of your hands are full.

You are on the 4th floor of the museum. It has three areas: the west offices, the central lobby, and the east offices. You are in a corridor that runs along the outer edge of the west offices, connecting them to the lobby. One end of the corridor leads to the coffee room (which has a sink and three air-pots of coffee). It also leads to the bathrooms for both genders, a drinking fountain, and the door to the stairs down.

The wooden doors into the west offices are closed and locked with magnet locks. They are similar to the double doors into the conference room, which you are now outside of. Your own office is beyond the locked doors in the west office area. The glass doors to the lobby are not locked.

The lobby overlooks the main hall of the museum; employees often joke about spitting over the railing and hitting school kids far below. It also has elevators down.

You’re not real familiar with the east offices. Marketing staff and the guys who plan the exhibits work over there.

What do you do?

((This round is less of a puzzle and more of an exploration job. You know something’s afoot outside so get yourself prepared before you leave the floor (if you leave the floor). Demon roaches will be awarded for the plan(s) that is/are most clever while still being sane!))

About this game:

I thought it would be fun. I don't think it quite qualifies as a "silly message board game"; that makes me think of tick-tack-toe-by-post. I hope it's okay I posted it in this forum.

People liked the game so I’m keeping it going for now.

Be realistic, and ask questions if you're unsure about something. I'll do my best to answer. I'm currently at work at the History Museum where I'm setting this little game, so if I don't know an answer I can probably go check the room and find out. If I take a while to respond it means my work load went up, but I'll be back.

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 10:13 AM
I go and make some coffee. It is not to be drunk; I want to carry a carafe of hot, steaming coffee as self-defense.

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 10:17 AM
Fair enough. You find that two of the pots are empty and washed out, and the third is still half-full of cold decaf. It only takes a few minutes to get a nice new pot of hot coffee. The grinder makes quite a bit of noise, but no one comes to investigate.

Calinero
2008-10-08, 10:44 AM
I get some water from the water fountain to avoid dehydration. I'm sure crawling through the ceiling was not a fun experience, or an easy one. After that, I walk along the hallway towards the glass doors to the lobby. I make sure to look through the glass before I go through, and I listen very carefully for any sounds of people/civilization. Do I hear people chatting, traffic outside, anything like that?

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 10:52 AM
You don't hear or see anyone. When you walk out into the lobby, you see that the receptionists' desk is empty. Her computer is shut down (& you will need her password to use it). From this area you could use the elevators, go to the east offices or jump to your death over the railing.

Be warned: if the elevators are in security mode like the magnet doors are, they will take you down but they won't bring you back up again.

chiasaur11
2008-10-08, 10:52 AM
I also have some water.

Then, I look around for weapons, defensible positions, etc.

Just in case.
If there's anything really good in sight, I break the glass to get at it with the easel part. A good sword or baseball bat would work a little better for any needed violence than the easel.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-08, 10:54 AM
You eventually managed to climb through the ceiling to get out of the conference room. You are now in the hallway just outside it. You have your house and office keys, your wallet, your dead cell phone, your ID tag and a pen. From the conference room you picked up a fork, knife and spoon (all plastic) and a metal section of a collapsible easel. This means all of your pockets and one of your hands are full.

You are on the 4th floor of the museum. It has three areas: the west offices, the central lobby, and the east offices. You are in a corridor that runs along the outer edge of the west offices, connecting them to the lobby. One end of the corridor leads to the coffee room (which has a sink and three air-pots of coffee). It also leads to the bathrooms for both genders, a drinking fountain, and the door to the stairs down.

The wooden doors into the west offices are closed and locked with magnet locks. They are similar to the double doors into the conference room, which you are now outside of. Your own office is beyond the locked doors in the west office area. The glass doors to the lobby are not locked.

The lobby overlooks the main hall of the museum; employees often joke about spitting over the railing and hitting school kids far below. It also has elevators down.

You’re not real familiar with the east offices. Marketing staff and the guys who plan the exhibits work over there.

I go to the bathroom, but I'm mostly curious if anyone else is here. I go to the girls first because if I'm curious if like the movies it has a sit or couch. Plus, I've seen the way some men maintain bathrooms...eww.

I sit down on the stool if it is clean.

After that I check the boys Bathroom because I want to make sure there is no one else here (maybe this was a surprise party).

I drink some water after that. I then think about what to do next.

Calinero
2008-10-08, 10:55 AM
Hm....explore....jump to my death? Explore...jump to my death? Although I'm sure a successful suicide would get me at least one roach, I think I'll explore the east offices. After all, I can always come back to the elevators.

.....right?

dun dun DUN!!!!

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 11:09 AM
You enter the corridor that runs along the east offices. This side doesn't have bathrooms or coffee rooms. However, some of the corridor space has been partitioned to make cubicles. The three cubicles each have typical office stuff, and are a little messy with various papers (all work related). The computers are all either shut down or on standby and would require passwords to access. The mailboxes for the east offices are also in this area.

There's also a meeting room to which the door is open. It's much less formal than the conference room you woke up in. It looks like the rubber doorstop is what kept it from getting magnet-locked. Empty pizza boxes are piled up on the side-table and a near-empty mug of lemonade sits on the meeting table. The lights are still on.

Other than these areas, the rest of the east offices are locked with magnet locks. Unlike the west office doors, these have small rectangular windows (about 8 inches wide by two feet tall) so you can see through. The glass is the kind that has those metal lines criss-crossing through it. Through one window you see an empty office hallway with all doors closed. Through the other you see an empty office hallway with one door open, and light shining out of the door. It's about 8 doors down, near the far end of the hallway.

If you call, holler or pound on the door no one comes to answer.

AKA_Bait
2008-10-08, 11:49 AM
Does the museum posess an employee cafeteria or open to the public resturant/snackshop/gift shop?

Also, what kind of museum is it? I.E. what sorts of exhibits?

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 12:20 PM
Sorry, I missed some posts above. Here we go:

Bathrooms: Both are petty clean; it's a very formal, professional work environment. Both are also empty. There's no couch, etc. in either one.

@ Chiasaur: This is still the administrative office part of the building, so it's not like there are exhibit displays here. What glass are you breaking?

@ AKA_Bait: Yes, the museum has a cafe and a gift shop, both on the 1st floor. The exhibits are mostly on the 2nd and 3rd floors, and cover a variety of local history topics. At any given time, though, only about 2% of the museum's collections are on display; most are held in the archives and storage rooms in the sub-basement.

If anybody is going to take the stairs or 'vators down, that's fine, but that'll end your time in Area 2 for now. You'd have to wait till Area 3 is posted.

The point of Area 2 is to try to get as much info and/or preparation as possible before moving on. Demon roaches like those who come prepared.

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 12:50 PM
Are there any televisions or radios about?

Crow
2008-10-08, 01:02 PM
I head downstairs to leave. I work here, so all of the other rooms and things probably aren't that interesting to me.

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 01:12 PM
Okeedoke, Crow's out.

@ Astral: None at hand, but you know some of your coworkers in the west offices have radios in their offices, and you have the password to your own computer to try to get online.

The digitial media guys might well have one or several TV's in their office, which is in the east offices.

So it's mag doors or mag doors, your pick.

Proven_Paradox
2008-10-08, 01:19 PM
I cast about looking for a radio, television, or phone. I try each of them--any phones I find, I will call the outside lines for any friends or family I might have to see if perhaps the problem was with the phone in the conference room. If this yields no results, I will go to the locked doors between myself and my office and examine the locks, as well as the surroundings (including the ceiling).

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 01:47 PM
Paradox: You try to call a few numbers on the receptionists' phone, and get the same error message as before. For giggles you might even try some more museum extensions, but find that all of them ring four times and go to voicemail. It seems no one is answering.

The door to the west offices is locked just like the conference room double doors. There is a second door to the west offices farther down the corridor; also locked.

The ceilings here are still 10' high and have those lightweight, removable accoustic panels. The panels here are less attractive than the ones in the conference room but otherwise similar.

There's no furniture to stand on in the corridor, however; you can no longer reach the ceiling.

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 01:55 PM
Is my coffee still piping hot? If so, I go try that magnetic disruption trick on the maglock leading to my coworkers office, making sure to stop the door open with something heavy, like a chair.

Proven_Paradox
2008-10-08, 02:02 PM
I go to get a chair from somewhere. Between the lobby, the break room, and the cubicles, I assume I can get to a chair somewhere--if not, a table would work too. Just SOMETHING to get a boost. I'm 6'3" (hey, you did say that YOU are the character); between that and a decently sized chair, I should be able to reach the ceiling. At this point, I'm creeped the hell out and not worried so much about avoiding damaging the building--though if I can avoid it, I will. I'll try to use the same going-in-through-the-ceiling trick used by others to get out of the original conference room to get to the other side of those doors. If that works, I will make a beeline for my office computer, assuming I don't see anything of obvious note on the way there. If I can get a 'net connection, I'm checking news sites--CNN.com and such.

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 02:22 PM
The coffee is still hot, but I must've missed that magnetic interruption trick. I'm skeptical but explain what you mean and maybe it will work.

Paradox: You get over the wall, though it's more of a scramble from just an office chair and you do knock out one of the little metal supports for the panels, dropping several panels to the grouind beneath you. You drop down to the other side of the door. ((Astral, if you do similar I'd be surprised if you can take thwe big air pot with you.))

You go past another receptionist desk and a few offices to your own office. Once inside, you turn on the computer. While waiting for it to boot up you notice the little red light on your phone that indicates you have voicemail.

Asbestos
2008-10-08, 02:23 PM
I drop out of the ceiling and then go around looking for signs of life and use the receptionists phone. Finding none and getting the same error message on the phone I get a little paranoid (especially if there's usually a guard or janitor wandering around after hours). I check to see if there's some sort of clock around that can tell me exactly how long I've been asleep for. I check to see how long its been since anyone has been here by checking on the pizza boxes/lemonade (how old does the cheese seem, is the lemonade still cold at all) I also, out of frustration, look through desks I have access to to see if anyone left a cell phone charger at work that matches mine. If I see a letter opener/scissors/solid paperweight while I'm searching for a charger I take it along. Oh, and I have a drink and use the restroom as well, why not. I'm only 5'9" but I'm a decent climber and have a decent vertical jump (I was a long jumper in HS though... if I need to clear a pit or something I'm set) but I'd like to avoid crawling into and then out of, my office. So I probably don't take that route.

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 02:27 PM
Okay, the clock on the phones says it is 6:30 pm. It gives you the date as well but for some reason you can't remember how long ago you fell asleep or what day it was.

According to the clock it is currently a weekday, so the museum should be open downstairs. But there are no signs of life and the melted cheese remains in the pizza box are at least a day old.

You can get a scissors, but your pockets are getting very full. It could take a lot of time to search all the offices for cekll phone chargers, and it'll be dark in a few hours - around 8:30. Going to search anyway?

Asbestos
2008-10-08, 02:32 PM
Okay, the clock on the phones says it is 6:30 pm. It gives you the date as well but for some reason you can't remember how long ago you fell asleep or what day it was.

According to the clock it is currently a weekday, so the museum should be open downstairs. But there are no signs of life and the melted cheese remains in the pizza box are at least a day old.

You can get a scissors, but your pockets are getting very full. It could take a lot of time to search all the offices for cekll phone chargers, and it'll be dark in a few hours - around 8:30. Going to search anyway?

I'd probably search a few (3-5) and then get frustrated... if I see a radio in one of these offices/cubicles I try it out. The receptionists desk is definitely one that'll I'll be searching through.

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 02:37 PM
Sure, you find a radio in the next office over.

The FM stations play a variety of things. Many stations, even those you listen to regularly, are just static or emergency broadcasting signals; some play music but you never hear a DJ in between songs.

The AM stations are mostly news stations. Some play emergency broadcast signals, others have looped messages about tehnical difficulties.

One AM station is playing a sermon by a paticularly fiery Christian minister. Whether it's live or a recording, you don't know.

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 02:38 PM
The magnetic interruption trick was the one about coiling a phone line around an easel to interrupt the maglock, but that's irrelevant now. I listen to the fiery preacher and try to glean information.

Asbestos
2008-10-08, 02:53 PM
Going to listen as well, if I can carry this thing around by a handle or something and listen while I continue searching about that's great too. I wish that my scissors had a gun attached to them, alas. Are there stairs down or just the elevators?
Oh! Also the emergency alert system actually plays a message with instructions/information rather than just a tone in the event of an actual emergency, what is the message in this case?

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 03:00 PM
The preacher talks about typical Christian topics - as you tune in he seems to be transitioning from the topic of giving back to the community to the topic of tithing. He makes frequent references to severals of the psalms, and tells anecdotes from his own life.

Computer's booted up, and your password works as always. Your email only has typcal work-related stuff, except for a strange message from yesterday afternoon.

From <HR director>
To <all departments>
Subject: Museum hours as normal

Hello everyone,

I want to take a moment to acknowledge the numerous incidents that have been affecting our state. My heart goes out to all of our staff and their families who have lost loved ones. I want staff to know that anyone who needs to take a personal day is welcome to do so. Please talk to your supervisor if you plan to do this.

I also want staff to know that, at this time, we plan to maintain museum hours and other daily operations as normal. I ask all staff who do not have personal obligations to report for work. We will need your help because of the obvious shortages caused by recent events. The next few days promise to be a handful, but this institution has weathered over 160 years of both good and bad times.

<Executive Director> is confident that we can continue in our mission to preserve our state's history, and that the best way to do that is to stay open and chronicle new events as they happen. If we need to close in the future staff will be notified as early as possible. We appreciate your hard work and dedication and wish you all the best!

@Asbestos: The message is generic: "Do not panic. Stay where you are and alert the authorities if you are in danger. Await further instructions."

The west offices main hallway is basically a C-shape (but with right angles instead of curved). Both ends rejoin the corridor to the 4th floor lobby at mag locked doors. There are some 20 real offices, 4 cubicles, the mag-locked single door to the conference room, the director's office, the copy room, the file room and an office supply storage closet.

There is also a door to a second staircase down, with "emergency exit only" on the door but no sign that opening the door will trigger an alarum. There is a fire alarum switch beside the door however.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-08, 03:03 PM
If anybody is going to take the stairs or 'vators down, that's fine, but that'll end your time in Area 2 for now. You'd have to wait till Area 3 is posted.

The point of Area 2 is to try to get as much info and/or preparation as possible before moving on. Demon roaches like those who come prepared.

Okay, so explore before going down.

I go to the east offices, First. I look for any TVs or radios: something is fishy here.

Also any office supplies that looks useful I take (I can hide little stuff in my shoes/socks, no?)

I've seen the other do the cieling trick: I'm 5'11 so I'm not short.
I know that someone has a chair: so I grab one and move a cieling panel.

Can I make to my office? I know I have something important there. (I never leave home without my Ipod; in real life at least). If I left it in a drawer there then I take it.

Look for some good mystery music like Thriller from Micheal Jackson or Scooby Doo. I love a good mystery.

If I have voice mail: I will enter password and check it: maybe this will help solve the mystery.

Asbestos
2008-10-08, 03:15 PM
The west offices main hallway is basically a C-shape (but with right angles instead of curved). Both ends rejoin the corridor to the 4th floor lobby at mag locked doors. There are some 20 real offices, 4 cubicles, the mag-locked single door to the conference room, the director's office, the copy room, the file room and an office supply storage closet.

There is also a door to a second staircase down, with "emergency exit only" on the door but no sign that opening the door will trigger an alarum. There is a fire alarum switch beside the door however.

Well, I didn't crawl into my office, but the fact that the EAS (emergency alert system) is actually broadcasting (it didn't even broadcast on 9-11 or during the Cuban Missile Crisis) is freaky enough without me having read the e-mail. As far as I know, having used the phones, the lines don't work and I'm hesitant to pull the fire alarm and end up deafening myself if the line to alert the fire department isn't working. I open the door to the stairwell and prop it open with something, like a chair. I head down and see if I can open the lower level door, if so I prop it open as well. Now, some doors do have alarms that go off if propped open, I hope that this is not the case here. In the event the door alarm does go off, then I shrug and pull the fire alarm anyway. Alarm going off or not I am now (if the lower door opened) on the lower level with a clear path up and down.

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 03:15 PM
Okay, so explore before going down.

I go to the east offices, First. I look for any TVs or radios: something is fishy here.

Also any office supplies that looks useful I take (I can hide little stuff in my shoes/socks, no?)

I've seen the other do the cieling trick: I'm 5'11 so I'm not short.
I know that someone has a chair: so I grab one and move a cieling panel.

Can I make to my office? I know I have something important there. (I never leave home without my Ipod; in real life at least). If I left it in a drawer there then I take it.

Look for some good mystery music like Thriller from Micheal Jackson or Scooby Doo. I love a good mystery.

If I have voice mail: I will enter password and check it: maybe this will help solve the mystery.

Asbestos, I edited in a response to you in my previous post.

Starbuck: I'm gonna put you in the west office first, since you want to go to both and others are already there. It's just easier for me to keep everything sorted.

You check your voicemail. You have only one new message. It consists of nothing but loud, blaring static with occasional metallic squeaks.

It goes on for four minutes, if you listen that long. Then a click, and silence that lasts for a good twenty to thirty seconds before another click - message over. Date and time information put the message at 3:32 a.m. yesterday morning.

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 03:18 PM
And you've posted again since then! Okay:

No audible alarum goes off when you open the door. It will lock behind you, but you said you propped it so you're fine. The stairs go down only (no roof access at this staircase). All the lower doors will also normally be locked from the stairwell side. The door to the outside will probably be openable.

If you're going down here, you're leaving the building.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-08, 03:26 PM

No audible alarum goes off when you open the door. It will lock behind you, but you said you propped it so you're fine. The stairs go down only (no roof access at this staircase). All the lower doors will also normally be locked from the stairwell side. The door to the outside will probably be openable.

I turn the volume up on the machine and play it again: maybe there was background interference like someone making niose while I got call. Plus, I'm stubborn.

By the way, is my Ipod in my desk?

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 03:30 PM
Sorry, yes, your iPod is on your desk. If it becomes relevant, I will assume you are no more or less distracted than any other player, but have coolr tunes to listen to.

When you play the message again at max volume, it does sound like maybe a voice was lost in there somewhere. Hard to say for sure, even playing it a few times.

By the way, will you guys save it, or delete it?

Calinero
2008-10-08, 03:34 PM
I will save my message that I get on my cell phone. Could come in handy. Also, I would like to find a large chair or something similar to stand on, and go up into the ceiling by the door through which I could see an office room with the light on and the door open. Once I make it to the other side, I will check and see if the locked door can be opened from that side, then I will go to investigate the room with the light on (makeshift weapons at the ready!).

Asbestos
2008-10-08, 03:38 PM

Cool... can I access my car by going that way or not? Were this a RL event my mind would be on leaving this place since I know that zombies, alien invasion, and rising Elder Gods are terribly unlikely and doubt that anything in the museum would save me from war/nuclear death. If the museum has a fallout shelter, which many big buildings do thanks to the Cold War, then I don't leave (even if I can get to my car) and will not prop the door to the outside. Since this shelter is most likely on the lower levels, I head to the elevators. I'm not looking for supplies so much as other people and I'm confident that the lower levels also have emergency exits leading outside, so my car can wait a few minutes.

That's the extent of my exploring probably. I've successfully determined that the museum should normally be open at this time, discovered that the EAS is broadcasting, got a pair of scissors, determined that people probably haven't been here since yesterday, and located an exit to the outside if I feel a need for it.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-08, 03:44 PM
First things first: I get a drink at the water fountain, and use the bathroom. I boot up the receptionist's computer, since it's nearby, and spend no more than a couple minutes trying to guess her password based on what I know of her and of common passwords. If I get in, I go first to news and my email. Before I leave her desk I take her tape (just the roll, not the dispenser) and the stapler, if she has one.

As I explore this floor, I'm keeping an eye out very carefully for any panels that I might walk past every day without noticing: specifically, I want fuseboxes or security alarm panels. I'd rather get all the doors unlocked than get myself trapped somewhere behind doors I can't get back through. If I find a fusebox/circuit-breaker box, I will remove all the fuses/flip all the breakers, killing power to everything nearby, and then go around opening doors with maglocks and propping them open with whatever is nearby. If nothing comes to hand easily, I will use my easel (on the floor so it stays propped wide open and has no chance to fall), and go backwards to find something to use as a doorstop. I continue this until all doors on the floor are open (that I care about--I'm not breaking into people's offices, which I assume are keylocked anyway). Once finished, I'll turn on the power again so I can use my computer and so on.

Having noticed that something is fishy, I will check anywhere that seems likely (break room probably) for replacement (metal) silverware. I'm am also looking carefully for anything better than the (presumably) scotch tape from the secretary's desk: if I'm going to be commando'ing it through ducts, I need the tape for the job :smallbiggrin:

Note: If I can't find anything to power off the building or get into the secretarie's computer, I'll be climbing over the doors to get to my office, where hopefully I've kept some duct tape (I know I would in real life :smalltongue:). Unless, of course, the hinges are accessable enough from this side that I could just pry those off. My goal is to increase accessibility if I need it. If I need to leave in a hurry, it won't do to be climbing over doors and things.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-08, 03:46 PM
Sorry, yes, your iPod is on your desk. If it becomes relevant, I will assume you are no more or less distracted than any other player, but have coolr tunes to listen to.

When you play the message again at max volume, it does sound like maybe a voice was lost in there somewhere. Hard to say for sure, even playing it a few times.

By the way, will you guys save it, or delete it?

Sweet, I like this quest so far.

I'll save the message maybe I can find someone who has better hearing to decipher it. It worked in the movies.

Next, start up computer: check email and hope internet works?
After checking email:
I'll go to Order of the Stick website: Can't not get my Order fix even in a emergency. Read the comics then any news Giant has.

Another_Poet
2008-10-08, 04:28 PM
I'll try to catch up:

Cell Phone/Voice Mail: it still doesn't work. You left your charger at home! Message can be saved, but in the regular voicemail system. It can be accessed from any extension in the building.

Car: Sorry, you commute to your job by bus. You live on the far side of town.

Keys: Good news! It looks like the keys to your office are also the keys to everyone's offices in the west offices, except the director's. This doesn't open the mag doors but it does open all the individual offices. You can indeed find duct tape in someone's office. Any normal office supplies are also available. For unusual items, ask and I'll let you know.

Mag doors: they cannot be opened from either side while the mag lockis active.

Fuse boxes: in the corridor between the west offices and lobby you find a "Fire Panel" which contains a reeled up hose. Numerous wires run through this point as well, and you've found one of the fuse boxes for this floor!

Metal silverware: Only a spoon, on a coworker's desk. Most metal silverware is kept in the staff lounge on 1st floor.

So... I'll assume that all of you use the fuse box to shut off power to the West Offices, then prop the door before restoring it.

Unfortunately, if the fire panel for the East Offices is in the corresponding location, you'll have to ceiling-crawl to drop down and get to it. TYhe hallway looks clear, but... any special precautions?

I'm not going to be posting for a couple hours (at best) or till tomorrow (at worst). See you then!

PaladinBoy
2008-10-08, 04:41 PM
Wow, this is creepy.

I'd try to reach my office. I'm about 6 feet tall, and would be freaking out enough to not care about damage to the ceiling, so I'd try to make it to my office. Once there, I would check my email and voicemail (and get the same messages as everyone else, I assume). I might check the radio, but I'd be more likely to try Internet news sites like CNN.com. I didn't see it in another post; is there any useful information there?

Given that all the information I have is that some unnamed disaster/ problem has befallen (or is occurring in) our state, I would be verging on panic. I would try and reduce that by locating improvised weapons; anything long and sturdy that I can hit things with will do for now. I think I probably would have a backpack or bag of some sort in my office, so I'd take that so I can more easily carry items around with me. I would then ensure that the west offices are secure (no entrances other than windows/maglocked door, nothing potentially hostile in them). The fuse box is a useful find, but I wouldn't use it to prop the door open until morning. Once I felt reasonably certain that nothing is going to surprise me in the night, I would search the offices for potentially useful items, such as food/snacks, cell phone charger, duct tape, etc. I would then look around on the Internet for any more useful information, after which I would try to get some sleep. Does anything happen during the night?

DrizztFan24
2008-10-08, 05:07 PM
I notice all the creepy emptiness that is going on and I leave two final messages, just in case. I write one down on a pad of paper and one on a digital machine, the digital shall be the more elaborate of the two.

Now I scrounge anything that can be used for escape/protection and carry everything around in an empty garbage can. I will head straight for the janitors area and the supply closet. I shall use my decent chemistry education and such to find keys/cleaner/broomhandle. After this I shall be proceeding to the exhibit areas and the most paranoid worker here....then i shall check for a gun/stungun/brass knuckles or something to defend myself with.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-08, 05:18 PM
Duct tape! Awesome. If I can find a card of some kind (old ID card or credit card, even a business card would do I guess), I'll take six feet or so of the duct tape and war it around the card, to make a mini-roll: a duct tape card, much easier to store and carry around (I actually have one of these in real life). That will go in the back pocket that doesn't have my wallet in it, for easier access. I replace the plastic spoon with the metal one, and keep the other plastic stuff. I thread my duct tape roll over the easel for ease of carrying/dispensing, and then quickly reconsider and make a loop (non-sticky except on the ends, so it is a nice, firm loop but won't stick when I don't want it to) of duct tape. Using this, I hang the roll from a belt loop.

At this point, if I haven't found a flashlight yet, I'm searching out something else that will give me light; candle, anything. If I can't find anything, no big worries, but I do check to make sure the lights work, and take care to note the locations of anything that would be useful in making a torch if the need arose.

I'm taking several paperclips, assuming they are the good, flat, normal kind and not the big ones with the black plastic. I put a couple in my pocket and stick a couple more to a strip of duct tape, which I affix to the inside of my shirt sleeve. Also on this small, secret strip is a bit of paper, maybe 3x5", folded up, and a bit of pencil lead. I'm taking a pair of scissors and a string, carabiner and flashlight if I can find them. If I can't get string, I'll try to find a long phone wire that could do in its place (taking the one from the conference room if needed, since I know that one's there). To the end of my wire/string I will fasten something as dense, and sharp as I can: probably a key.

Depending on whether I can glean any information from the internet about what is going on, I may also search around for another bludgeon of some sort (table leg, etc) before I head to the east wing. Unless I've got other information or have found anything else, I'm carrying the easel in my left hand, the duct tape roll is hanging off a belt loop on a small duct-tape loop, and in my right hand is the string, with the key hanging maybe 2-1/2 feet from my hand. The rest of the wire/string is held loosely in my left hand, but the whole thing does not exceed 8'. Any extra is gathered up and held by duct tape on a belt loop or some such (depending on how much there is, it may be in a different place).

EDIT: I'm also curious whether there is a staircase going up from here, though not looking hard for it.

Summary/review of materials searched for:
I'm looking for string, a flashlight, a carabiner, the right paperclips, stairs up, and the internet :smallsmile:

EDIT EDIT: Thought you might enjoy that I decided I should write up my own character sheet :smalltongue:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=85578

The Deej
2008-10-08, 07:29 PM
This looks like fun. I'll see if I can catch up.

I would have probably escaped through the ceiling in similar fashion to the assumed method, but probably after attempting to short out the door's maglocks with either wires or a stripped plug. But that is moot at any rate.

Upon dropping into the hall, I would set the easel against the wall where I can grab it if I need it. I would then go to my office and probably see the voice mail light blinking on my desk phone, so I would check that and hear the odd message. I would then boot my computer and check news sites to see if there's any mention of what might be going on.

After checking the news, I would explore my coworker's offices. I would check to see if they got any similar voice mails. I would also look for a flash drive at least 2GB in size.

If I find one, I download a certain iso off of the internet, do some quick setup, and boom: I have a 'computer lockpick' (read how to do this in maximum PC). I boot up a few coworkers' computers and get around their passwords in short order. I then pull up a search query for the most recently updated files, and skim them to find any kind of clues about:
1) what might have happened to cause people to evacuate (that's what I would assume happened at first)
2) if nothing of that sort, then try to find any kind of schedule or calendar of theirs (electronic or paper) that says where they would have gone or what they would have been doing at the time, and note anything unusual.

Colmarr
2008-10-08, 07:37 PM
What do you do?

((This round is less of a puzzle and more of an exploration job. You know something’s afoot outside so get yourself prepared before you leave the floor (if you leave the floor). Demon roaches will be awarded for the plan(s) that is/are most clever while still being sane!))

Ok, posting without reading other's posts so as to preserve the integrity of the challenge:

I check the bathrooms for occupants; men's then women's. Assuming no one is in either, I check the bathrooms and the coffee room (including looking under the sink) for some form of usable weapon. I'm specifically looking for something largeish like a broom. I'm starting to freak out a bit and want to be prepared.

Next I head to the doors leading to the lobby and look through them to see what's visible. I don't open the doors or call for assistance unless I see someone in the lobby who looks like they would be helpful.

Assuming there's no one in the lobby, I return and check out the door to the west offices. Assuming my keys won't open it, I look around for something to stand on and repeat the "over the wall" trick. Hopefully there's something in my office to explain what the hell is going on...

EDIT: Ok, have now read others' posts. Some of you are much more tech savvy than I am :smallsmile:

Having made it to my office, I check my email and voicemail, with the results already given. I would normally do nothing with the phone message (if possible), but if I must choose between save and delete, I choose save.

I try to connect to the internet and check news websites to see what I can find. If none of the major news sites are up, I do a web search for yesterday's then today's date in case someone has blogged about the events of the last few days.

One of my friends is always home from work by 6.30pm and his computer is always on at home, so I send him an email and/or MSN message to see if I get any response. I assume he doesn't answer. My feeling of dread worsens.

If I don't already have a weapon, I grab whatever is available in my office.

I then investigate the other offices, including making brief attempts to access each co-worker's computers (perhaps 2-3 minutes on each computer). I grab anything useful that I see, such as duct tape and letter openers. I grab a permanent marker (the thicker the better) if I find one, and a couple of pens (making sure that each works). I also grab any type of bag I come across (I'm specifically hoping for a backpack) and put my newly-gathered hoard into it.

Once I have a bag, I keep an eye out for water bottles and fill them from the water fountain and put them in the bag. I also keep any non-toxic-looking food sources that I come across (chips, biscuits, uneaten sandwiches etc)

If I come across anything flammable (such as methylated spirits or strong alcohol) and an ignition source (such as a lighter), I put them in the bag too. I make sure to grab a rag or small towel so that I have a wick in case a hasty molotov cocktail is needed.

Then I head back out to the lobby and into the east offices.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-08, 07:47 PM
Ok, posting without reading other's posts so as to preserve the integrity of the challenge:

Posting in AP's absence (hope that's okay), I would suggest that reading the other posts is much of the fun of this game. It also speeds things along, since you know the answers to some of your questions. Just be honest with things you didn't think of (for instance, I am kicking myself for not thinking of Deej's idea for figuring out what's going on). But reading other people's solutions is one of the best parts!

Colmarr
2008-10-08, 08:05 PM
Posting in AP's absence (hope that's okay), I would suggest that reading the other posts is much of the fun of this game.

True, and I intended to (and have) read everyone else's posts after coming up with my own response first, but part of the fun of the exercise for me is to see what I come up with before seeing others' solutions. I've edited my original post to take into account further information that AP gave to others.

Asbestos
2008-10-09, 01:18 AM
Car: Sorry, you commute to your job by bus. You live on the far side of town.

Keys: Good news! It looks like the keys to your office are also the keys to everyone's offices in the west offices, except the director's. This doesn't open the mag doors but it does open all the individual offices. You can indeed find duct tape in someone's office. Any normal office supplies are also available. For unusual items, ask and I'll let you know.

Mag doors: they cannot be opened from either side while the mag lockis active.

Fuse boxes: in the corridor between the west offices and lobby you find a "Fire Panel" which contains a reeled up hose. Numerous wires run through this point as well, and you've found one of the fuse boxes for this floor!

Metal silverware: Only a spoon, on a coworker's desk. Most metal silverware is kept in the staff lounge on 1st floor.

Damn public transportation! Well, I don't go outside then, I have no ride. I toss my plastic knife away, wondering why I even grabbed it, since I now have a servicable pair of scissors. If I need to cut anything that a plastic knife could cut I'm sure I could get by. I also toss the plastic fork, I have fingers and I have scissors. I keep the spoon. Since I have a RL habit of checking what's in the closed panels when no one is looking, I find the fuse box. I power down the hall, prop doors, and power back up. I can now enter my office without all the crawling that my alternate universe counterparts did! Huzzah! I hear the creepy message and save it so that I may access it later, if I need to further creep myself out perhaps. I check my e-mail and apparently I have some... does this mean that the internet is working? Anyway, I have ruled out Nuclear War in my mind since I still have power and the radio stations are all still broadcasting. This is actually more disconcerting! Especially since the e-mail made the "events" seem local and spread out over enough time for someone to come into work and type up an e-mail about having tomorrow off. With the doors open I do quick searches of people's desks searching for a pocket knife of some sort (I know plenty of people that keep these around...) and a lighter (there HAS to be one, right?) hopefully the knife is a leatherman (I leave mine at home :smallfrown: ) if not, a knock off swiss army knife may do.
Thusly informed and armed I head to the elevators with knife/scissors at the ready.

Edit: As counterparts have pointed out I should at the very least have a messenger bag or something. If so, I take it, tossing my work related papers so that I may free up space in the bag. I also drink a LOT of water over the course of the day so I'm sure I have a water bottle, I fill it up. Are the elevators and the emergency exit I found the ONLY way up to this floor?

Zorander
2008-10-09, 01:19 AM
Very interesting scenario!

OK, open all drawers, cabinets, shelves, try phone, take metal easel parts and plastic knives (must be dangerous as they are banned on airplanes!) climb over wall and check out rooms. Check receptionist's desk for mirror. Search under receptionist's desk for mag-lock override button. If I don't find it, search supply room for duct tape, exacto knife or scissors, rubber bands and paper clips. sharpies, garbage bags to carry supplies. Get to office area either by disabling mag-lock with override, power cut, or climb over wall again using chairs in lobby. If I disable the mag-lock, I seal open doors using duct tape. I try office doors using keys, search for backpack in any opened offices or my office (as I ride the bus, I would carry a backpack or laptop bag) and use that to store supplies. I listen to voicemail and save it. Take a couple of CDs. Check computer for internet access and news.

OK, I see we have found circuit breaker panel and fire hose and metal spoon. I take spoon and examine fire hose. Using scissors, I try to cut firehose about 4 feet from end with nozzle for improvised mace. If I have found a mirror, I fasten it to metal easel (if no mirror, I use CD as poor substitute) to peek around corners and into rooms. I try to look into director's room using 'over the wall' technique and my mirror. If vacant I enter and search. If not, I go over the wall to east offices again using mirror device to check before I drop from ceiling

Proven_Paradox
2008-10-09, 05:53 AM
I save the message and begin scouring the internet, assuming it's up. First stop, cnn.com and other such news sites, to see if I can find out more about whatever is going on here. Whatever happens from there, if I've got internet, I'm going to start looking for other people online; first checking some message boards I frequent (such as these!), then looking around in some IRC rooms that I kick around in sometimes--possibly just going to random rooms trying to find someone who's not a bot.

I gather as much information like this as I can, and then move on to scouring the area for anything that could be useful. Foremost, I'm going to be looking for a weapon. A fire-arm would be great--I know enough about guns that I could figure out anything a civilian might be able to get to--but seeing as that's unlikely, something like a baseball bat would suffice. I'll also look for some suitcases, backpacks, and the like, to get me something to empty my pockets with. My first stop would probably the office of any co-worker I happen to know that smokes, so I could get a lighter or some matches.

If I find a backpack or something like that, I head back to whatever I can get some food and stock up on stuff that doesn't need to be cooked. Normally, I'm quite a picky eater, but in this situation I would hope I could choke down more than my usual range of foods. I'll also take water-bottles and the like and fill them up at the water fountain.

What time of day is it? If it's approaching nighttime, I'll consider staying on the fourth floor through the night.

obliged_salmon
2008-10-09, 08:41 AM
My first instinct in this situation would be to try to get home or to some kind of vehicle and make sure loved ones were okay, but if I did have any vague awareness of being in a survival/horror genre situation, my weapons of choice at this juncture would be a fire extinguisher (presuming there's one on this floor) and perhaps the handle and blade of a paper cutter (if there is one), which I would pry apart from the flatbed.

Another_Poet
2008-10-09, 10:58 AM
Okay, wow, you guys have come up with a wide range of weapons. Nice!

I see there's some confusions about doors, exits, stairs, etc. I'll try to draw it out here:

oo_________
oo|ooooooooMooooc
oo|oowestoo|oooooo
X/ooooffcsoo|ooooor
oo|oooooooo|ooooor
oo|ooooooooMooooi
oo|_____M__|ooood
oooooo|confo|ooooo
oooooo|roomoMooor
oooooo|_____M
ooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooX

KEY
/ = one-way door
X = staircase
M = mag-lock door (two together = double door; one = single door)

****Updates****
It seems like we now have a couple people who have gone downstairs. I'm gonna stick with those of you still on 4th floor for now. Some of you want to hole up for the night and some want to investigate the light in the east offices. Once everyone has finished their exploring, we'll end Area 2.

What you have acquired:
1 briefcase
1 metal spoon
1 scissors
1 roll duct tape, + 1 handmade mini-roll if desired
1 2mb storage drive w/ hax (awesome idea by the way, you made it believable, very nice)
1 dozen metal paperclips (some hidden)
1 pencil/paper (hidden)
1 CD (sorry, receptionist desk is shared among diff receptionists; they took their mirror(s) with them)
1 20 oz water-bottle (full)

Your choice of 2 of these three items:
Broom stick (I assume you removed the large oversized janitor brush from the end) OR
Paper Cleaver (handle and blade of paper-cutter, functions like heavy machete, no sheath) OR
1 jug cleaning chemicals

What you don't get:
-Garbage can, since you found a briefcase instead.
-Fire extinguisher. There is one but it's heavy as heck and the broom handle makes a better weapon.

If I left something off ask me. Sorry, tryijgn to deal with a lot of posts. On to the good stuff:

Internet
You find that there was a new OOTS and a new Erfworld posted, both about two days ago. You read the OOTS and it cheers you up a little. You orce yourself not to read the Erfworld, since you know it'll leave you hankring for more and for all you know there will never be another update.

The news sites have not been updated in about 24 hours (it varies a bit from site to site). The most recent articles quote heavily from government-issued warnings. They all seem to echo that you should stay put and avoid anyone you don't know. You also see that curfews were imposed in some areas, while evacuation was ordered for other areas.

If you go back to earlier articles, you find that they are a little less formulaic, though not much more helpful. No one seems to have first-hand reports, videos, etc of what's going on. The articles quote various theories, often having to do with terrorism or chem weapons, and often with all sorts of disclaimers that this has not been confirmed and people should not jump to conclusions. One of the most informative pieces is an op-ed which explains, "Only a small number of people are acting this way, and they all look like ordinary people. Obviously there's been a bad batch of illegal drugs, and now users and non-users alike are paying the price."

The comments on these news stories are particularly telling. Mixed in with the usual trolling, flaming and bad grammar are all sorts of theories. Some people claim to have seen spaceships, and insist that this is a for-real alien invasion. Other posts are more panicky:

"Is there ANYBODY near Airy with a car who would actually be willing to come get us? Please, my daughter is here, she's only 5 years old. I will give you money or anything else you need."

One of the last ones, made three hours after the last article update, is less desperate but somehow more frightening: "Anyone still reading this? I'm down to low batteries on my laptop. I'm still on the roof of the gas station near the Lake Buffalo exit from <nearby interstate>. I'm going to wait it out 24 more hours from time of post and if no one comes to help I'm making a run for it toward the rich houses along Lake Drive. If you get this, I hope to hell you can meet up with me somewhere."

Odds and ends:
One of the mag-doors between the west offices and the connecting corridor is now propped open, thanks to your fuse-box ways. It will re-mag-lock at any time if you close it.

In the corridor across from the coffee room you battered open a door you've never used before. It led to the janitor closet, which is how you got the broom handle and/or chemicals.

The air pot of coffee is cold now. In fact, that's what you're using the prop the one mag-door.

It is now dark outside.

If anyone still intends to investigate the light in the east offices, tell me what you're doing.

Another_Poet
2008-10-09, 11:20 AM
I forgot some things in the post above:

FLaslight/candle - no
Carabiner - no

Lighters - unless this is a 1, yes: [roll0] (so yes)

Knife: if this is a 7, a crummy pocket knife; an 8, a leatherman; x-else no [roll1]

(HOLY CRAP you got a leatherman. Nice!)

fire-hose-mace: no, but only because the broom and cleaver are better weapons. So you have oneor both of those instead.

No one gets a response from their friends if they try to email/IM them.

BTW you guys are accumulating some serious demon roach awards. I can't reveal how many, to whom or for what till the area is over, but they are being tallied.

Proven_Paradox
2008-10-09, 11:34 AM
No one on the IRC channels/chatrooms?

Once all that's done, I'll do all the investigations that result in all the swag mentioned in the previous post, to save time. For the "choose two" items, I will take the broom stick (if this is a zombie apocalypse, as I am beginning to suspect, being able to keep my distance from foes is going to be a major advantage) and the paper cleaver (good cutting tools are always useful). Upon finding the knife--a more useful cutting tool--I will use a healthy amount of the duct tape I found to fasten the cleaver to my broomstick; I now have a crude but probably effective glaive. I give it a few (hard) test swings to make sure the cleaver will stay attached when the expected bite attempts begin. If the cleaver shifts at all, I will readjust and use more tape--rinse and repeat until I've either got it done right, or I've used about half of the tape. At this point, I will ditch the easel parts; they weigh me down and any benefits I can get from them I can also get from my glaive or the knife. If combining the broomstick and cleaver give me another inventory slot (lawl RPG logic) I'll take the chemicals as well. I'll also stash a few trashbags in the suitcase and one or two in my pockets.

The light in the east offices is my next target. Not wanting to risk losing it with fuse-box tinkering, I'll use the through-the-ceiling method to get through, completely disregarding the aesthetics of the museum to get through. I make sure the coast is clear on the other side by poking the business end of my glaive through the ceiling before getting down.

[edit] Also, how defend-able is this floor? How many ways up here are there, and where are they?

Inventory ((I'm editing this in after seeing it on The Deej's post; if this is roachworthy, the credit goes to him/her.))
Makeshift glaive (Broomstick + cleaver) (presuming that works)
Briefcase containing--
--Lighter
--Leatherman knife
--Fork (plastic), spoon (metal)
--Water bottle
--Keys
--Wallet
--Cellphone
--Duct tape
--Trashbags
--Flash Drive (as I would not know how to implement the mentioned hax, I would not have that part [I'm a computer scientist, but I'm primarily a software developer, and they don't teach us that kind of thing--I might be able to figure it you gave me the ISO mentioned, but I would have no idea where to download it to start])

Starbuck_II
2008-10-09, 11:38 AM
It is now dark outside.

If anyone still intends to investigate the light in the east offices, tell me what you're doing.

I choose: jug of cleaning chemicals and broom stick.

I'll search the light in the east office, sure.

Guess, I'll keep the knife at my side just in case (take off Ipod and put in pocket... now if not a good time to be listening plus, need to save batteries).

I'll go through the de-maged door (since we are in west office), but kreep it propped (rather not have to climb ceiling).

Was East door locked Mag-locked? If not, use key to open any normal locks on the door.
I'll go slowly though around any corners.
Edit: If it was Mag-locked, use cieling trick.

The light could be a robber: while I am glad for any human contact: I don't want to be shot.

If no robber, I'll look around for anything useful or out of the ordinary (that I don't have).

The Deej
2008-10-09, 12:48 PM
Hmm... I might be able to make it to that guy, but probably not before he runs to the rich houses. At least, I don't want to risk going out at night before I know what's going on (By the way, I'm a runner. Two years of cross country and three years of track. I'm not the greatest, but I can easily span 10 miles in about an hour and 15 minutes, if need be.).

This is a museum, so school groups probably come here every so often. That means there's a chance that some kid might have forgotten his backpack here. I'll search for one at the lost and found come daylight. But for now, I'm thinking that my best bet is to hole up for the night in that room I came out of. Two heavy maglocked doors + concrete block walls = fortess.

To get back in, i either look for a chair that doesn't roll, or unplug some computer towers and stack them up against the wall where I came out. With either of those, I could easily jump up to my previous escape route. I do so, and get some food out of the fridge. If there's a microwave I know about nearby, I exit the same way, and heat my supper. If it doesn't need to be heated, or there is no microwave, I just eat it cold. When I'm done, I use the restroom, get a drink of water from the fountain, and return to my hiding place. I also unplug the 12' phone cord (you said it was 12' somewhere, right?), coil it up, and stash it in my briefcase with the rest of my stuff that fits in there. Might be usable as a rope or cord for something. I also try to replace the tile to the hallway ceiling, to keep myself as well-hidden as possible for now.

Inventory:
pen (shirt pocket)
Flash drive w/hax (around neck)
ID tag (clipped to shirt, I assume)
Briefcase (or backpack, if found)
Cell phone
lighter
leatherman
water bottle
keys
wallet
fork, knife, and spoon
broomstick
paper cleaver
phone cord

Zorander
2008-10-09, 01:07 PM
For Weapons, I take the broom handle and cleaver, but leave them separate. Using the cleaver, I cut a strip of leather from one of the chairs and using the duct tape, I fashion a holster for the cleaver to keep my hands free. I also secure the broomstick to the breifcase. I go over the wall into the east office, but before I drop down, I listen for noises of movement, snoring, etc. If I hear nothing, I hang from the top of the wall and drop carefully to the floor (this should be only about 3 or 3-1/2 feet), flexing my knees to absorb the shock and lessen the noise. I walk quietly towards the door along the wall the door is on, pausing and listening about 2 feet away. I use my CD mirror to see if I can peek into the room.

PaladinBoy
2008-10-09, 01:08 PM
Okay, that's pretty good. I'd probably take the broomstick at first. I'd spend the evening trying to find cardboard, fabric, or anything else that, combined with liberal amounts of duct tape, would make an improvised sheath for the paper cutter. Can I do that without running out of duct tape?

At this point, I would assume that an unknown number of people in the area have gone insane for reasons unknown, and pose a threat to anyone caught in the open. I would also hypothesize that they now lack the intelligence to use clever tactics or anything beyond simple weapons, so I think I'm safe behind the maglocked door. Whatever's in the east offices, I'll let it wait until morning. I want as many advantages as I can get if I am forced into combat, and the possibility of fighting in the dark is not something I want to risk.

I would also try and find something opaque like a large sheet of black paper, cardboard, etc. I'd use the duct tape with it to cover the windows. If there is a threat, no point in advertising my presence with too much light. Any luck with that?

Ultimately, I'm taking cover and sleeping until morning, with weapons close at hand.

Another_Poet
2008-10-09, 01:23 PM
Nice job holing up. About the walls of the conference room, one of the players earlier had hypothesised that they are concrere behind the drywall but when you climbed over you foudn they were actually on 2x4" framing. (In retrospect it's more likely that the walls are on those lightweight metal frames often used in internal office building walls, but I won't change it retroactively). No microwave, but much of the food is good cold.

In the east offices, good call going through the ceiling. You drop down, walk past the fuse box and approach the office as quietly as you can manage.

Peeking in, you don't see anyone. When you finally get up the nerve to go in all the way, you find the office completely empty.

The office is nicely decorated. Many of the people on this side of the building went to school for art before going into advertising or exhibit design. With a small desk lamp (the souce of the light), beautiful wall hangings and a bright wool rug covering the grey office carpeting, this is easily the coziest room you've been in so far.

The computer is on, a screensaver showing slides of some tropical vacation. They're all landscape shots; no people. When you move the mouse, you find that the computer's user did not lock the computer.

There are several programs open. Their email program is up, with nothing but work-related messages in the inbox. If you check Sent Items you will see that they have sent nine separate emails to various friends and family trying to see if anybody is able to answer (most recent was last night at 10:07 pm). However, the email was actually minimised when you first looked at the screen.

The top window is a mah jong game (*shudder*). The window underneath is a word processor document. It's rather long, but skimming through reveals this to be the person's (somewhat poorly written) first draft of a mystery/thriller novel. They have about three chapters done, plus some notes on the very last page.

Beside the computer is a huge to-go coffee cup, the kind a latte or cappucino would come in. It still has about 3 inches of stone-cold coffee in the bottom. There are three more just like it, all empty, in the trash can.

Proven_Paradox
2008-10-09, 01:37 PM
Thoroughly disappointed with the results of the office light investigation, I spend some time thoroughly searching the other offices in the area for anything useful that wasn't in the other offices, with little respect for preserving the furniture in there. Seeing as I've been sleeping for at least a day, I find it doubtful that fatigue will be an issue for a while. Once that investigation is complete, I'll turn off the lamp in that office, and return to the main hallway. I'll get my computer out of my office, and move it--one piece at a time--into the conference room. One that's done, I begin holing up in the conference room by moving the table in front of the door (or the refrigerator if the table is too heavy; I'm a big guy, so the table would have to be pretty massive for me to be unable to move it). This is both so the door will be harder to open in case of power outage, and so I can use it to get out quickly if need be. Fortifications complete, I'll hook my computer up. If there's an internet jack in the room, I will spend some time BSing on TEH INTARWEBS in an attempt to calm down. Eventually I will settle on booting up my SNES emulator and passing some time replaying Chrono Trigger or some similar classics. Eventually, I will probably do some light napping. All the while, I stay as alert as I can for sounds.

The next morning, I will move down to the first floor.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-09, 01:55 PM
With a small desk lamp (the souce of the light), beautiful wall hangings and a bright wool rug covering the grey office carpeting, this is easily the coziest room you've been in so far.

I take the lamp...not now when I decide to leave. I need the light at this moment.

It's rather long, but skimming through reveals this to be the person's (somewhat poorly written) first draft of a mystery/thriller novel. They have about three chapters done, plus some notes on the very last page.

Beside the computer is a huge to-go coffee cup, the kind a latte or cappucino would come in. It still has about 3 inches of stone-cold coffee in the bottom. There are three more just like it, all empty, in the trash can.

Wait, the guy last sent a message last night at 10 PM?
And he left his computer on/unlocked?!

That means... he wasn't intending to have to leave that night...

I empty the big cup's contents in the trash can: I can refill it later with water or something (does this one have a lid?, I know some cups do).

Since I'm tired but scared (why would he leave this place?): I decide to read the last page notes before starting on the actual story.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-09, 02:15 PM
Alright. I immediately post a reply to that comment (guy on the roof): "I'm in the Museum at <location>. I've got food and I'm fairly secure (I think). I will come to you if you do not reply to this within 1 hour." I then wait up to one hour while I hope for him to respond, responding immediately to any message he sends. While I wait, I'm trying to determine where that gas station is, how far away it is, and how quickly I can get there. To do this I plug in my location and his into Google Walking Maps =D I'm also on the lookout to make sure Google is giving me the most direct route; at this point I'm not afraid of cutting through yards and all.

Once I've got the route and surrounding area memorized, along with picking out other places I think could be good safe havens on the way, I'll get myself ready to go there (assuming no replies yet). This includes arming myself:

Using my leatherman (awesome!) I remove a modestly-heavy wooden leg from a table or chair (probably table consider all the chairs probably roll). I search out the most flammable thing I can find: many things would work (vaseline, kerosine, high-proof alcohol, the fuel from my lighter (as many lighters as possible :smallsmile:), whatever; I'm sure I can find something, even if not a lot.). I get a rag (or make one out of my clothes if needed) and soak it very well in the flammable material. I attach it to the heavy end of the table leg, first by tying it around, and then by crushing some of the circular metal sections of the (now disassembled) coffeepot around it to hold it in place (leatherman!). My torch complete, I will take a spare wick (rag) and soak it as well, but leave it on the desk for the moment. When I am ready to leave, I will light the torch on fire (by shorting an electrical outlet if I used up my lighter)(I stop shorting it once the thing's on fire)).

The torch will go in my left hand, with the paper cleaver in the right hand. The duct tape is on my belt; the water bottle is in a holster made from duct tape so it can be slung over my shoulder (very convenient and duct-tape efficient; I suggest this in real life too :smalltongue:).

Unless I get a response from the guy on the roof, I leave thus equipped for his location in exactly 1 hour (so long as I think I can make it before he said he'd leave). I'm taking the stairs downstairs and leaving through a fire door, keeping a keen eye out: I don't want to bring someone back here if I'm not actually safe. I check that all the normal doors on the ground floor are locked before I leave.

EDIT:

That means... he wasn't intending to have to leave that night...

This is scary. too bad I don't know this :smalltongue:

Zorander
2008-10-09, 02:39 PM
I search the office for additonal useful items. Since this is the marketing section of offices, there should be promotional items that may come in handy. Travel cups, flashlights, lanyards, duffel bags. I then try other offices and using flashdrive and hax, check other computers and search drawers. I find Fire panel and cut power so I can open and prop mag-lock doors, then turn power back on. I also search mailboxes for any information and eat the cold food from the fridge on the west side (I am leery about the pizza considering the 10pm email) while reading.

DrizztFan24
2008-10-09, 03:15 PM
I would also like to try the cleaver, especially if it means I can take some nasty acids with me.

I leave some more sticky notes around saying that I am about, but not revealing my exact location. I plan to hole up for the night, but not before I take everything I can back into the conference room. I (as mentioned earlier) should not be fatigued for awhile so I shall spend all night riggin' up a harness to carry stuff in. I also scan the walls next to the drop off area. Is there a way I can climb down? using some kind of a rope? I hope to gain access to both floors, eventually heading to the basement to find supplies there. During down time I re-watch I Am Legend to update my paranoid beastiary.
Also, I am leaving a message for the guy heading to the rich district, he may encounter a computer that he can access. I will tell him my story and where I am at and that I plan to meet him. When I am done I exit the window but commit the website to memory so that I can re-access it later.

EDIT:
with the leatherman I want to see if i can "un-mag'lock" some of the other doors (not the ones I am hiding behind). Maybe if I can remove the locks then I can have free access without making myself vulnerable during climbing.

obliged_salmon
2008-10-09, 03:35 PM
I hole myself up in my locked office and think about stuff.

Fact 1: I slept through an apocalyptic event.
Significance: Something happened to me, perhaps? What do I last remember? I check myself for any unusual physical abnormalities (bumps, scratches, bruises, scars, etc.)

Fact 2: The event did not occur instantaneously, but over the course of a day or two - evidenced by internet speculation and emergency messages which lightly chronicle the event in progress.

Fact 3: There is no tangible evidence of what occurred, either in this building or outside - i.e., no corpses, fires, sounds of any kind. Everything looks normal, except for the lack of other people.

Fact 4: I am alive and potentially sane.
Significance: There are probably other people who are alive and potentially sane.

Potential theories:
Zombies (not likely, should see more signs of chaos/death outside)
Disease (more likely, but should still see signs of this outside - dead bodies, etc.)
Nuclear event (not likely, no signs of wide scale destruction)
Some other weapon/warfare (not likely, complete lack of people online)
Alien invasion (possible)
Divine intervention/rapture (...need more evidence)
Other theories? Dream monster? Ancient magicks? Some scheme hatched up by Pinky and the Brain that went horribly, horribly wrong?

Another_Poet
2008-10-09, 03:44 PM
In case it becomes relevant for those of you holed up in the conference room:

The large table is quite a pain to move, but far less awkward than the fridge; you can use it as a barricade as suggested. It actualy has four vertical wooden slabs instead of legs, conneted by a trestle running the length of the table. Thing's a beast.

In case combat becomes relevant for those of you wandering about:

Combat, should it happen, will rely on description and realism. If you walk into a stupid situation and get surrounded, you die/lose; if you take precautions and describe a believable fight, you live/win (maybe with injuries); if you set up a careful trap and describe excellent tactics you walk away injury free. No amount of "but I have a black belt!" will save you.

lordhenry:
The news sites have not been updated for ~24 hrs, and the guy on the gas station posted 3 hours after that. His location according to google is about a 25 min drive away, a town called Buffalo Lake that is sort of on the border between suburbs and actual country. That would take you nearly 6 hours to walk, if you are athletic and good with maps. So you will arrive well after his declared departure time. Still going?

And yes, your torch works, but it uses your lighter fluid.

The coffee cup has a lid (so do the ones in the trash).

Promotional items include tonnes of brochures, plus magnets, pins, and bookmarks. There are some coffee mugs as well. No flashlights, sorry.

The mag locks on the double doors to the conference room can be disabled with the leatherman and a little elbow grease by going through the ceiling to reach them. The others are embedded in the door-frames at knob height and will require some wall destruction to easily access.

Those in the east offices:

Your keys do not open the locked office doors in the east offices. Good for west offices only. Not all the offices are locked, but most are; you find the usual stuff in the ones you can access.

The notes in the unfinished novel are plot outline notes, nothing survival related. Whoever typed it must've been trying to keep their mind occupied.

When you walk around you become familiar with the office layout quickly. It's similar to the layout in your west offices. This side does not have bathrooms of its own, nor its own coffee room. It does have its own stairs, however!

These stairs, unlike the ones in the wet office, open directly into the hallway. There is no closeable door to them; in fact, there's a rather spacious, open area they connect to. The stairs go both up, and down. You are not familiar with this staircase but you know you are on the top floor.

If you go up:
You find a small room, loaded with pipes and conduits. Apparently marketing took it over as a storage room, because there are boxes upon boxes of outdated materials. A locked metal door leads to the outside. It is a security door and will be very hard to open.

If you go down:
The stairs go down to an emergency exit. It is propped open slightly with an ashtray (the kind that stands up, about 3' tall). The only light here is the red exit sign above your head. If there is an exterior light it's not on. The only switch you see is a fire alarum.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-09, 04:26 PM
Alright. As it's that far away and I haven't heard back from the guy, I'm going to post again (double-post ewwww) letting him know where I am and that "I'm spending the night here. If you get this you should contact me @ <my email> or respond here; I'll check both all night. At dawn I will head for the houses you described on Lake Drive, unless I've heard otherwise from you."

I'm deciding against going at night since I've heard about a curfew: it's likely that nighttime doesn't matter, but since I have no idea what's going on, I'll assume that it does, and assume that I'm safer in the daytime: thus I save my torch.

Until I get tired (probably not for a while as I'm jumped up on adrenaline and I slept...really really late), I'll explore the building thoroughly and try to determine if there's anyone/thing else here. I'll check in at my computer every so often, about every half-hour to an hour, for responses. I'm starting by going to the East Offices (armed).

I sneak around the offices like everyone else did until I determine that they are empty, at which point I fuse-hack all the maglocks open and then get all the lights on (for me, and also to signal my existence to the world to lure others who may be seeking help). I grab some pizza (safe assumption?) to munch on, and take the stairs up (when I find them).

I first search through the boxes for anything obviously helpful, but I'm feeling pretty good with my paper cutter and (unlit) torch. I examine the door (details on how it's locked & how it opens?), but unless I see an obvious weakness right away, I will be grateful (for now) that it's locked securely and go check out the rest of the building before I try to open it.

When I get to the door propped open by the ashtray, I take it immediately as a good sign that someone else was here--and was smart enough to take precautions so that they could come back. However, if there's something nasty outside, I don't want it to get in either: I stick my head out the door and look around briefly for any signs of life. Assuming I don't see any, I remove the ashtray and allow the door to close--but not without duct-taping the latch in, so it can actually be opened from the outside. I also leave a note on the ground just outside the door (taped there) that says "Pull." I just don't want it to look open. If whoever left here manages to come back, I certainly want him or her to be able to come in: plus it's a good secret way for me to get back in eventually.

Once I've finished this, checking the internet constantly for replies, I will take the stairs down to the third floor (still armed with the blade and unlit torch), and I'll be exploring it thoroughly (there is nothing keeping me from coming back up these stairs, is there? If there is, just let me know so I can tell you how I disable it).

Hehehehe :)

EDIT: Oh! I forgot something! When I can't find any useful information on our news sites about what is actually happening, I'm perusing all the Russian and French and other foreign news sites (in that order) I can get ahold of, looking for concrete details on what exactly is going on. (the order of sites I check is directly related to which of those languages I speak the best :smalltongue:)

Colmarr
2008-10-09, 05:03 PM
I take the broom stick, but leave behind the cleaver and the chemicals. One is too heavy and the other I would have no idea what to do with (unless this is the flammable liquid I was after).

You didn't specifically say, but I will assume that I was able to find something flammable for my unassembled molotov cocktail.

While checking the news sites, I see the comments from the woman and the guy at the gas station. I contemplate posting a reply to gas-station-guy, but then it occurs to me that I have no idea whether the "crazy folk" have retained their intelligence or not. I don't want to give them any clue about where I am.

If it's possible to send a private message to him via the webpage or email (if his address is in his post), I send him one telling him where I am, that I intend to stay here until morning, and that I will then head to X police station to search for clues and (just as importantly) weapons. I tell him I will then head to the houses on the hill and hope to meet up with him there.

While searching the east offices, I check the computer and read the novel and notes. I see the pins and grab as many of them as I can, putting them into a thick bag if I can find one or 2-3 large envelopes (one inside the other) if I can't. I remove any safety covers they have, and take my impromptu caltrops with me.

Then I investigate the stairs heading up to the storage room. If any of the pipe seem robust and easily removable, I consider replacing my broom weapon with one of them. I'm specifically looking for something with more impact weight, but with enough length to be useful as a prod or lever.

I rummage through the boxes searching for anything useful. I inspect the door to the (I presume) roof to see if I think I can get it open. Would the "through the roof" trick work again here?

I then check the stairs leading down and discover the open fire exit. I don't like having that entrance open, but I don't want to trap someone outside either. I use the permanent marker to write "Watch your head" on the outside of the door just above the handle (small enough not to be conspicuous from a distance), and then I fill a box from the storage room with random noisy-looking junk (staplers, ashtrays, etcs) and balance it on top of the ajar door - the idea being that the falling junk will make as much noise as possible. It's an alarm rather than a trap; I don't want someone sneaking in without me knowing. If necessary, I use some duct tape to help the box balance, putting the tape at the bottom of the box so that it can swing horizontally to release its cargo.

Then I head back up to the 4th floor and chock open the door to the boardroom with something small like an ashtray. I remove the ashtray to make sure the door locks, then repeat the power-off-on trick and replace the ashtry to make sure I have a quick-close wall to retreat behind in case I need it.

Then I head down the stairs to investigate the other floors. I'm not leaving the building before morning, but I want to make myself as comfortable and secure as possible in the boardroom before I rest.

Unless I can get through the door to the roof or find something useful in the boxes, I'm done with Area 2.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-09, 05:07 PM
If you walk into a stupid situation and get surrounded, you die/lose;

If we die, do we get to go to the next area? Or is that is it, for our character?

I understand that the current area would be over obviously.

if you set up a careful trap and describe excellent tactics you walk away injury free.

I wish I was a better describer now. But I'm fine with that; just hope it doesn't come to that.

Those in the east offices:

Your keys do not open the locked office doors in the east offices. Good for west offices only. Not all the offices are locked, but most are; you find the usual stuff in the ones you can access.

When you walk around you become familiar with the office layout quickly. It's similar to the layout in your west offices. This side does not have bathrooms of its own, nor its own coffee room. It does have its own stairs, however!

These stairs, unlike the ones in the wet office, open directly into the hallway. There is no closeable door to them; in fact, there's a rather spacious, open area they connect to. The stairs go both up, and down. You are not familiar with this staircase but you know you are on the top floor.

If you go up:
You find a small room, loaded with pipes and conduits. Apparently marketing took it over as a storage room, because there are boxes upon boxes of outdated materials. A locked metal door leads to the outside. It is a security door and will be very hard to open.

If you go down:
The stairs go down to an emergency exit. It is propped open slightly with an ashtray (the kind that stands up, about 3' tall). The only light here is the red exit sign above your head. If there is an exterior light it's not on. The only switch you see is a fire alarum.

I check up stairs. Are any of the boxed materials useful?

Like: can one reasonable make use of them and not just broken or useless junk?

Can I find a Flashlight (storeage of one or two wouldn't be unfeesable or even more tape)?
Does the small room have a window or ventalation shaft?

In case, it wasn't legible in my previous post: I took the lamp after unplugging it. I can make use of it I'm sure.

PaladinBoy
2008-10-09, 08:42 PM
I'm still waiting for morning in the west offices, but I thought I'd share some of the thoughts I have about this situation (from an in-character perspective).

I'd be worried about survival first. The food and water supplies won't last forever, even if I ration it (which I don't really want to do - I'm suspecting I will need to keep my strength up). Out of curiosity, about how much food do I have?

I'm also worried about a lack of information. I know that a threat exists, but I don't know what it is and I don't know how I'd recognize a hostile if I saw one. I'd have to actually see something stange happen in order to enlighten me, but I'd also like to avoid combat. I also don't know the scope of the cataclysm. Can I expect that reinforcement from authorities will arrive eventually, or am I on my own? I don't know that, and the answer is a critical point in determining my strategy.

I have some nagging doubts about defense. I suspect that whatever threat exists lacks the intelligence/sanity to get into the west offices the same way I did, but I don't know that for certain. Hopefully, even if my suspicions are wrong, a hostile coming through the ceiling will make enough noise to wake me. Which brings me to another point... I need to sleep, but I can't do it in an non-secure area unless I have allies, so we can post a watch. This leaves me effectively confined to the museum at night, which annoys me... and is dangerous, if something forces me into the open. On top of that, the museum is not self-sufficient. I will need to leave eventually, if only to get food. That poses a risk.

The only further actions I would take this night and/or early next morning is to take an inventory of available food/ water and post on multiple Internet message boards/ news sites; other survivors may see, or persons in unaffected regions may be able to inform me on the scope of the disaster. I'm not expecting an answer soon, if I even get one, but it might help. Priorities for tomorrow: Locate other survivors, and locate food, in that order.

Prometheus
2008-10-09, 10:18 PM
Potential theories:
Zombies (not likely, should see more signs of chaos/death outside)
Disease (more likely, but should still see signs of this outside - dead bodies, etc.)
Nuclear event (not likely, no signs of wide scale destruction)
Some other weapon/warfare (not likely, complete lack of people online)
Alien invasion (possible)
Other theories? Dream monster? Ancient magicks? Some scheme hatched up by Pinky and the Brain that went horribly, horribly wrong?
My secret theory in Part I was the Iranians finally got into the US with a suitcase e-bomb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-bomb) but that's been blown to hell since all the electronics are working. Now it definitely has to be aliens, zombies, or alien-zombies.

Zorander
2008-10-10, 12:40 AM
I first go up the stairs to find the storage room, I expect the pipes and conduit are just running up and down along the walls, not loose. I inspect the door to the roof, if the hinge pins are inside, I use the leatherman to pop them out and check out the roof. When I get back inside, grab a handful of the paper materials and put them in my briefcase, I head downstairs and find the door propped open. Since the last email on the computer was dated almost 24 hours ago, I secure the door and head back up. I grab the desk lamp from the open office and several coffee mugs, but leave the lights on in the east corridor. If the glass door from the west offices to the lobby opens in, I stack the cups one on top of the other in front of the door; if it opens out into the lobby, I use a strip of duct tape to adhere to the handle and around the stack of cups. Someone else opens that door, I have an alarm. I then get a drink and use the bathroom. I turn off the lights on the west side and then go to my office to rest up for the rest of the night.

Asbestos
2008-10-10, 02:05 AM
Awesome, I found a lighter and a leatherman. It seems my counterparts are making good use of these items :smallsmile:
I take the blade from the paper guillotine because that is awesome and I think I saw it used as a machete in a movie once.
I also respond to Gas Station Guy, via PM, stating that I read what he said and that we should keep in touch.
I check the English language sites of various non-American news agencies (BBC, Moscow Times, Deutsche Welle)
I also check YouTube for the most recently added videos. Screw words, some chump must've uploaded something.
Since it is dark I eat what I can and hole up in an office/conference room for the night, with the door barricaded and out of sight of windows.
I await dawn with my various weapons, tools, and supplies.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-10, 06:46 AM
I'm also worried about a lack of information. I know that a threat exists, but I don't know what it is and I don't know how I'd recognize a hostile if I saw one. I'd have to actually see something stange happen in order to enlighten me, but I'd also like to avoid combat. I also don't know the scope of the cataclysm. Can I expect that reinforcement from authorities will arrive eventually, or am I on my own? I don't know that, and the answer is a critical point in determining my strategy.

If you checked ther computer/radio: you should have heard that the "infected" or cultist whatever they are look like a druggie. At least the authority/state thinks so.

So I expect guant features, with badly needing sun skin, and them mumbling "drugsssss'.

TheFallenOne
2008-10-10, 08:33 AM
First things first: I block the elevators, they're the only way to access my location and I don't want to be surprised by anything nasty without having a retreat route.

I check the internet. I visit News Sites and forums from around the world(America, Germany, Australia, whatever) and compare the times of the last posts to find out if whatever happened happened everywhere at the same time.
I open on each of the forums a thread(titles along the lines of "IS ANYONE STILL THERE?", "AM I LEGEND NOW?" and "Call me if you're not a zombie"). I'll write down what a know, where I am(only the city, definitely NOT my exact location), my email adress and my cellphone number(but tell them that it's currently dead).
Can I access my voicemail from the computer and download the weird message? If so, I download some filters and try to make out that voice. Heck, maybe even the WMP equalizer may be enough for that. I also try slo-mo and fast-forward.

I then collect water from the fountain in any suitable container I find. I there's no one left running water won't be there forever so I better take precautions.

After that I go exploring and get myself armed like the rest of the guys

Also, I check my facial hair. Normally I'm cleanly shaven, so that should give me an indication how long I had slept

Another_Poet
2008-10-10, 12:28 PM
If you die:

You can still join us for the next Area. Each time we finish an area everyone kind of "coalesces" into a single starting point/status, based on what worked best or was cleverest in the previous area.

Youtube:
[spoiler]
The site is down. It looks lik they had bandwidth issues, maybe a server crash; hard to say with only the error message to go by. There might not be anyone left to sort it out and get things running again.[/spoiler.]

At the door:
Those of you intepid enough to poke your heads outside (there were a couple of you) see the following.

First of all, the door opens onto a walkway. Themuseum is built into a hillside, so the door exits almost two stories off the ground; a cement walkway with 3' tall a brick wall runs along the building to solid ground. It's about 4' wide. The concrete is damp, as if it has rained recently. You had noticed that out the conference room window before, too, but it hadn't really registered.

A scissors lies on the ground near your feet.

Abour 30 feet down the walkway you see a human figure slumped against the brick wall. He/she is hard to make out in the dark, but seems to be sitting in a weary-but-not-dead posture.

edit: Facial Hair is a little grown. You probably haven't shaved since yesterday morning. Nice thinking, by the way.

Asbestos
2008-10-10, 12:55 PM
If you die:
Youtube:
[spoiler]
The site is down. It looks lik they had bandwidth issues, maybe a server crash; hard to say with only the error message to go by. There might not be anyone left to sort it out and get things running again.[/spoiler.]

At the door:
Those of you intepid enough to poke your heads outside (there were a couple of you) see the following.

First of all, the door opens onto a walkway. Themuseum is built into a hillside, so the door exits almost two stories off the ground; a cement walkway with 3' tall a brick wall runs along the building to solid ground. It's about 4' wide. The concrete is damp, as if it has rained recently. You had noticed that out the conference room window before, too, but it hadn't really registered.

A scissors lies on the ground near your feet.

Abour 30 feet down the walkway you see a human figure slumped against the brick wall. He/she is hard to make out in the dark, but seems to be sitting in a weary-but-not-dead posture.

edit: Facial Hair is a little grown. You probably haven't shaved since yesterday morning. Nice thinking, by the way.

Stupid YouTube... I notice the figure (if he/she can be seen near the emergency exit door I opened) and call to them from 30ft away, checking for a response. If there is no response I check for something to toss at them, as a sort of 'ranged poke' (like pocket change if I have any, something I wouldn't mind parting with, failing that I go grab some pens or something). I wait, ready to sprint back inside and slam the door behind me (I have it propped, but not taped, open)

Zorander
2008-10-10, 01:38 PM
Amending my previous post, I see the figure and listen for a minute for any noises, then leaving the door propped open, and with my broomstick in my hand I walk slowly toward the figure softly calling the name that I saw on the email in the open office. I also scan the area for other signs of activity.

DrizztFan24
2008-10-10, 02:07 PM
In the morning I root through the upper area for anything useful, then I go down the stairs to try and make my way to the storage areas. There might be some vintage (WWII) firearms lying around I could make use of.

As for the figure, I call to them, ready to rush back inside should I not like the response I get.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-10, 03:17 PM
If I found nothing of value in the upstairs room and there was no window/ventalation shaft like I asked about: then I do down stairs.

I notice the door prop... I'm curious why that is there. I'm a little scared so I make sure the broom is securing in my hands and my knife at my side (double checking).

I peer out and see the figure.

I stick my head out and call out to the figure (non-yell just normal voice): ready to take out the prop/hide inside if he attacks me/walks agressively to me. I say,
"Hey dude, you wouldn't happen to be the guy who wrote that great mystery story on his computer, would you?"

If he doesn't talk, I go back inside grab a coffee cup (empty) from trash can and throw it at him. And yell, " can you hear me?"

TheFallenOne
2008-10-10, 04:24 PM
OK, since I spent more time on the computer than most others(what about the voicemail) I lack behind in the exploring, but I guess I should find the leatherman and broom too

I'll too make an improvised glaive, but I won't just use duct tape, that will wear out too fast, especially if I hit any hard surfaces like bones or a skull.
First, I'll use several layers of tape to hold the cleaver in place attached to the broomstick. Then, I search for the longest cable I can find(one of the phones I guess). I'll cut it off with the latherman(and UNPLUG the phone first), fasten it around the whole lenght of the cleaver that's attached to the stick and secure it with a good knot. Around that several layers of tape again. This should give me a halfway decent improvised glaive/spear that allows me to deal some damage while still keeping any attacker at a distance.
Plus, since I play Jugger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugger), I actually have some experience using a weapon like that. The pointy end is new of course, but as long as it's facing the right direction I should be fine.

Next, I try to find some spare clothes, linen, anything. I cut it into stripes and put it into boiling water(coffeemaker). If I find some alcohol I'll use that instead of water. Now I should have some makeshift bandages, well, better than nothing, they'll come in handy if I get injured. But I'll be sure to grab a first aid kit on the next opportunity.
I'll look for a plastic bag or something to store the bandages.

Since I lack behind I'm not sure if the figure is still there once I reach it's location, so I'll wait before posting my reaction

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-10, 11:34 PM
Poking my head out
When I see the figure slumped against the wall, I will call in a stage whisper/hiss "hello? Are you awake?" I try to illicit some reaction from the figure, actively calling out if needed. My blade is at the ready (hidden behind the door from where he is) should he rush me, and if he approaches, I call out "Wait! Stop there, I don't know if I can trust you." If he stops, I begin a real conversation about what is going on and attempt to determine whether he's trustworthy (him stopping at all gives him big points, but I also ask him what day it is, how long he's been here, and for some other specific details of certain things in the museum. If he can't name them, he loses trust points. I'm hoping that whatever has gone wrong either lowers brain capacity or causes aggression or both, so I'll attempt to determine that he is not a victim of these things. Depending on how the interaction goes, I may or may not let him back inside (I haven't duct taped the door yet at this point, and if I choose not to let him in, I won't be doing so). Cold-hearted maybe but I've got to stay safe.

Colmarr
2008-10-11, 07:32 AM
Ah, okay. There's a guy outside. My alarm-box-full-of-junk hasn't been rigged up yet.

I remove the ashtray that is holding the door open so that I can let it close quickly if need be. I keep as much of my body behind the door as possible (I'm more concerned about being exposed to the road than to the slumped figure - I'm thinking he might actually have been a victim of a sniper/gunman and I don't want to join him).

I call out to him. "Hey, <insert name found in the sent box of the East office emails>! Are you okay?"

If he makes any sudden or aggressive moves, I shut the door on him. If not, I'm more than happy to talk. If he doesn't respond at all, I will carefully look around outside and then go over to him (staying as low as possible), with the broom at full extension ready to defend myself and the exit propped open with the briefcase so that I can dash back inside and kick the door closed as I go.

This gets more interesting every time AP posts :smallsmile:

obliged_salmon
2008-10-11, 10:40 AM
Wet ground?
It's the rain! It's got...microscopic aliens in it, that take over peoples' brains, just like the plot of the awful spoof horror movie in Bowfinger!

I add an umbrella to my inventory, if possible.

Seriously though, I'll wait until morning in the office, then go downstairs via door propping, with my improvised cleaver. I want to get outside and find a vehicle, so I can see whether my loved ones are okay, at this point. But I'm still being cautious - quiet and perceptive. I can't help them if I'm dead (presuming they're alive). I'd like to look for some kind of working gun, if there are any in the museum.

TengYt
2008-10-11, 04:14 PM
Okay, I'm gonna magically assume I've done most of the things everyone else has so far like check voicemail, internet, gotten items etc :P Man this thing has a lot of atmosphere, I love it.

What time of year is it? If fall/winter, I search for spare clothing that fits me, especially a coat. I also search the offices for a scarf, gloves, anything else like that. Regardless the time of year, I look for a jacket/coat anyway to provide protection against the elements and to allow me to have access to more pockets. I also look for an umbrella.
I scour the offices for batteries, looking for anything that may use them (like CD players, fans etc) and open them up.
I also try to get as much wire, rope, etc as I can carry. If there is a clock small enough to carry or a watch, I take them with me. If there is any money at all to be found I stuff it in my wallet. I've stolen enough junk already, by this point I doubt I'd care about petty theft. I also look for cigarettes even though I don't smoke, but the movies say they can be used as handy barter so I take them.

I email basically everyone on my contact list and PM everyone I talk to on message boards telling them where I am and asking where they are, wondering if they're okay, etc. I check if Myspace and Facebook are still up, and see when was the last time my friends and family updated their pages. I update my page with information regarding my location. I also check if any of my MSN and AIM buddies are on, messaging my closest friends and family even if they're offline (so they'll get a message from me if/when they log on). I know one of my friends spends literally 20 hours a day on MSN, so if he's not on something's really wrong.
I put a pen or a pencil behind my ears to carry them. Makes me look dumb, but it gives me more room in my pockets and lets me access them easier without fumbling through my pants.
I keep my keys handy (presuming they're the slightly sharp and spiky metal kind) so I can use them as an improv knuckle duster (hold keys in hand, make a fist with one key sticking out between two fingers) if need be. After eating etc I carry as much food and drink I can.

Regarding the figure outside, I squint and see if I recognise him/her. If so, I call out their name and tell them who I am. If not I call to them anyway, if they don't respond I grab one of my pens from behind my ear and throw it at them. I pick up the scissors, seeing if that results in a response. If they still don't respond, I advance slowly.

Another_Poet
2008-10-14, 01:32 PM
Apology:
I'm sorry for taking so long to update. I've been ill the last few days.

The figure:

Most of you opted to stay at the door, ready to close it, and call to/throw things at the figure. Your first call receives no response; at your second call he looks up in your direction. The next second he is halfway to the door, sprinting like mad for you. He doesn't yell or scream, just stomps heavily and quickly for you.

If you said you would close the door, I think you can do so in time; as soon as it shuts you hear a loud thud against it and then rapid, angry pummeling. The pounding on the door doesn't stop, even if you are quiet for a few minutes.

If you didn't specify that you would close the door - let me know what you do.

Zorander, I believe you're the only one who walked toward him; you're about halfway there when he jumps up at you. Defend yourself!

No umbrella can be found.

Going downstairs:

Many of you at this point are ready to go down, so we're almost done with this area. Remember though--

The elevators are probably in security mode and won't bring you back up once you go down.

The West Stairs have access to 4, 3, 2, 1, B1, and B2; but they only open from the inside. There is also a door to the outside from the West Stairs on 2nd Floor (this is on the opposite side of the building from the door with the figure).

Here's what you know of the building:

4th - Offices
3rd - Exhibits (open to 1st & 2nd)
2nd - Exhibits, Library (open to 3rd & 1st)
1st - Gift shops, Cafe, Auditorium, Front Desk (open to 3rd & 2nd)
B1 - Offices & Conference Space, Document Archives
B2 - Artifact Storage, Labs, Mailroom

So tell me which floor you want to go to and what method you're using to get there (elevators or West Stairs).

Best quote so far:

I'm hoping that whatever has gone wrong either lowers brain capacity or causes aggression or both

Excellent.

Zorander
2008-10-14, 03:07 PM
Using the broomstick like a quarterstaff, I swing hard at his knees, then head on the followup. If I succeed in knocking him down, I retreat to the door and close and secure it.

Colmarr
2008-10-14, 06:02 PM
As the figures jumps to his feet and charges, I yank the briefcase out of the door and pull it shut. After doing so, I think about what I saw.

Did he have any obvious wounds or injuries? Was he bleeding? If so, I'm probably dealing with an injury-transmitted illness, but I'm concerned about how he contracted it. If the exterior stairs continue to ground level, then I assume he went down there and got attacked by a funk-carrier. If they don't I'm now concerned that a funk-carrier is in the building with me.

If the figure didn't have any visible wounds, I'm a bit concerned that someone who was safely in the building with me less than 24 hours earlier has now contracted the funk. I have no idea what to do about it, but it worries me.

As he pounds on the door, I call to him to try to start a discussion. I assume he doesn't respond. I'm thinking "28 days"-style rage zombie.

I think I'll wait for the answer to the wound question before deciding where to head next. I was originally going to use the stairs to head for the cafeteria for food and water supplies, but if I'm afraid that something is in the museum with me then I'd probably head for the exhibits instead looking for a better weapon (what sort of museum is this again? a longsword would be nice :smallsmile:)

Asbestos
2008-10-14, 06:14 PM
I freak, run for the door and kick the prop shut. Phew. I decide to take the stairs down (if its morning, or else I spend the night with the emergency stairwell nice and closed with me far away from it and away from windows)
I take the stairs and head for the cafe to scrounge some breakfast/maybe coffee. If its the next day, I check the internet again to see if Gas Station Guy responded to my PM, I also check to see if the "Things being down" symptom has spread any over night. When heading to the cafe I keep the makeshift machete at the ready.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-14, 06:30 PM
Get well soon!

a couple quick questions first
So, do I understand you correctly that the doors from the West stairs cannot be opened from the stairwell, only from inside those places to which they lead?
I'll estimate, do I have enough time to search the rest of the museum before dawn, assuming no grievous setbacks? I'm not worried about staying up late; I'm comfortable with it as is, plus I'm full of adrenaline. No performance problems for at least another 24 hours. Again, I'm assuming that I'll have enough time for purposes of this post. If I don't think I'll have time, I'll change/prioritize where I go.

Actions
Charging wordlessly is of course, perhaps the only thing I didn't cover in my other entry. It's not as though he can suddenly get in and he's been waiting for someone to let him in--this door was propped open. Thus, he is after me. The door is quickly and firmly shut in his face.

A little wigged by the reality of someone rushing me, I make sure the door is firmly secured and then waste no time moving on to the next floor as the adrenaline begins to rush through my system. If I'm going to be attacked again in here, all the better to do it while I'm on-edge and hyped up.

As I head for the stairs, I think about the figure. Did I recognize him at all? Was he in any of the photos on that worker's computer? If so, it looks like this could be an airborne thing. I tear a strip of fabric from a/my shirt and tie it over my nose and mouth. With my hair up in its top-knot, I now look like some kind of t-shirt-ninja-samurai. I also start keeping an eye out for open windows and shutting them immediately. Then I think about whatever is wrong. Don't know yet--but I have a strong suspicion based on the original lack of response--about impaired brain function. Aggressiveness gets a checkmark. At least now I feel justified carrying this thing (paper blade) around. :smallbiggrin:

Going Downstairs
This is my plan: make the doors from the West stairs accessible from the staircase, but only to me. To this end, I will examine the door (opening it, both sides and middle, etc). Does it have a handle on the outside? where are the hinges? etc. Based on this information I will formulate a plan and do whatever I need to do to make it workable, so that I can get through these doors from the other side. I am not simply duct-taping the locks in; I don't want anyone else coming through while I'm not here. This is the only way I can be sure that I am secure, as my intent is to scour the entire building floor-by-floor and make sure no one else is around. So, if there's no handle on the outside, I may tape the locks down, so that to get in I could just put any sturdy 90-degree item (leatherman would work, unfolded all the way so it makes a kind of T) under the door, and then turn it sideways so the part that now sticks up catches and pulls the door open for me. Describe the door and I'll tell you exactly what I do. I don't want anyone else getting in, but I want to be able to get back.

Then, I will use the elevator down to the next floor. (The plan is to do this all the way to B2, making each door accessible as I go, so that by the end, I will know that there is no one else around and be the only person able to access more than one floor of the building.)

Priorities if my assumptions are wrong
If I think it's going to take a considerably long time to do what I want to do as described, I'll get the important stuff done first. Is there more than one elevator I can take? If so, I accessible-ize the 4th-floor door, and then take the elevator all the way to B2 (artifacts) and look around for the best weapon I can find, now that I know there are real threats. I'll take my time here. Then I accessible-ize B2, leaving a stash of some of the better weapons in a couple places near the door so I'll be able to find them easily if needed. I go back up to 4, and then my next stop will be the floor with the most food (cafeteria I think you said there was). After that it doesn't matter; my intention is to sweep the building.

Proven_Paradox
2008-10-14, 08:11 PM
In the morning, I will investigate the exhibit floor one by one. To minimize stair-walking, I will start at the third floor and work my way down. I'm looking for weapons, tools, and such--anything I might think useful. If there's nothing useful in the exhibits, I'll head to the first floor and go first to the lost and found (hoping to find an abandoned backpack or something similar).

Inventory
Makeshift glaive (Broomstick + cleaver) (presuming that works)
Briefcase containing--
--Lighter
--Leatherman knife
--Fork (plastic), spoon (metal)
--Water bottle
--Keys
--Wallet
--Cellphone
--Duct tape
--Trashbags
--Flash Drive
--As much food from the fridge I can manage to stuff into it--preferably stuff that's good without cooking.

Colmarr
2008-10-14, 08:49 PM
The West Stairs have access to 4, 3, 2, 1, B1, and B2; but they only open from the inside.

I think I misunderstood what you meant by "inside". I imagined an interior stairwell with doors that only open from the stairwell side. I guess you actually meant a "fire stair" type stairwell and doors in those usually only open from the building side (to allow people to escape fires but not get back out into the burning areas of the building).

Regardless of which is true, I do a test.

I prop the 4th floor door open and then ride the elevator down to level 3. I take the stairs back up to level 4 and see if the elevator responds when I call it.

If so, I'm not concerned because I can go to any floor I like so long as I prop or tape the 4th floor stairwell door open. If the elevator doesn't respond, I think I can still work around that, but my plan from here on in is pretty complicated depending on what I know of the figure I encountered.

PaladinBoy
2008-10-14, 09:19 PM
Alright. Come morning (hopefully with some nice weather to fortify my morale and courage) I'm going to take my weapons and explore the east offices, although I will not go down just yet. I assume I'll find most of the same things there that everyone else did. Then, I'll use the west stairs and go through the museum level by level, searching for any evidence of trouble or any human presence (sane or otherwise, although I'm hoping for the former). At each level, I would prop the door behind me so I can get back up to the 4th floor. While I probably wouldn't pass up the opportunity to add a real weapon to my arsenal, if we're in the right type of museum, I'm not sure I can trust it to stand up to combat after heaven only knows how long.

Naturally, throughout my search, I would be keeping my senses alert and constantly checking around me. I would use cover as much as possible to hide my presence as much as possible. I would pay particular care in open areas or near entrances or blind corners.

The one special point: Upon reaching the cafe on the 1st floor, I would attempt to locate the storage area. I would add several days' worth (or more, depending on how much I can carry) of nonperishable snacks and maybe drinks (like water bottles) to my inventory. Combined with what I still have upstairs, I assume I have anywhere from one to three weeks' supplies. Carrying it may be difficult; I would probably start carrying my backpack over my left shoulder so I can quickly shrug it off if I need to fight. After that detailed search, I'll head back upstairs and barricade myself while I consider my next move. (I would of course go back through the west offices in minute detail to ensure that nothing has snuck in while I explore.) I have two options.

Stay in the museum. This option is the best in terms of short-term survival; I have enough food for a reasonable length of time, and it is unlikely that hostiles can penetrate the multiple layers of locked doors. Unfortunately, it's worthless for long-term survival. My food can run out, greater problems could befall the museum, and I make no progress towards figuring out what is wrong and how I can fix it (if I even can). I don't really like this, although if I can't think of anything better it might do.

Leave the museum to search for more survivors and better shelter. It's a rather large risk. If I get caught out by more than one or two hostiles, I'm doomed. If I don't find aid or shelter within 18-24 hours, either I'll need to sleep, which could be fatal, or I'll press on, which will weaken me enough to mean almost automatic death in a fight. Of course, if I find more survivors, our survivability will increase dramatically... ditto for better shelter. I want to know more about what's going on... depending on the exact nature of the crisis, a presumed safe haven could be a deathtrap. I'd need to have a destination in mind before trying this.

I don't really like either option. So, after another day of exploring, my plan is:

Use the museum as a base from which to explore the surroundings. I'll explore and look for further evidence on the nature of the catastrophe, as well as looking for survivors, but I will not go more than a three hour walk/jog away from the museum. This should allow me to gather the information I need to plan longer trips while keeping the risk down.

Of course, my plan for the future probably won't matter until the next area, or maybe the one after it. I may be overthinking this.

DrizztFan24
2008-10-15, 09:11 AM
When the figure starts at me, if I am significantly covered by the door, I will jump back inside, as previous described. However, I will spend about 10 minutes attempting to communicate with the....aggressor. If I am not able to start any line of communication I shall swiftly head to either the Gulf War or the WWII exhibit and get myself a somewhat modern firearms, assault rifle is preferred, followed by SMG (and ammo of course). I shall also be scrounging any kind of packs or hostlers from this(ese) area(s) to increase my storage and make carrying my weapon easier. I would prefer low velocity and high weight rounds, such as a .45 over a faster and lighter round, like a 9mm, for my sidearms. Now properly armed, I shall set off about each level unlocking the fire-exits and checking all doors and rooms. Whenever I move past an exposed area I check outside to see if I can spot any more of the aggressors, if I do I make myself scarce and hide as I pass across windows and doors.

I hope to fortify this position and create a kind of fortress for myself and anyone I can find. Once I reach a level with a Renaissance-y period exhibit I shall *liberate* a lightweight sword and any daggers I find. I don't really have the upper body strength to control a large sword without two hands or an axe.

When I have cleared a few levels I shall be sure to rest and eat, restock my strength. I need to remember what I saw on the figure. Any particular wounds or obvious signs to distinguish him/her/it from myself? a healthy human? Was it someone I know? Were they wearing a uniform common at the museum? Also, did this encounter happen during the day time or was it a nocturnal event? just before dawn perhaps?

After my break I clear the rest of the museum and start to practice throwing my daggers. I find a soft target and begin at 10 feet. When I can consistantly connect with the general area I am aiming for I step back 5 feet. Once I have reached 30 feet I repeat from 10, wanting 5 accurate and consecutive throws before I move back. I am not trying to rush so if I think a few may have been luck then I shall not count them. During this time I try to think of a clever acronym for the funk-infested. Once I have finished my training bit I want to take anything useful I can find downstairs and move it nearer to my hideout. I also try to find a map of the city. I want a plan before I set foot outside of this building.

Also, I check messages and send out more and post more threads on forums. Is Yahoo Answers running? Oh, and let me know if I find a flare gun and flares.

EDIT:
I've got 3 acronyms for consideration. Like one? Got a better one?

Hostile and
Actively
Aggressive
Persons

Altered
Individuals

Positively
Unfriendly
Nightmarish
Creature

Another_Poet
2008-10-15, 09:27 AM
Your Updated Situation

Zorander, your crack to the knees is a wise move; the man is mid-lunge as you deliver it. He manages to get an iron grip on your arm before he goes down, buit what he was intending to do to you you'll never know; your second crack across the head leaves him unconscious. His grip softens but you have to shake your arm to get rid of his hand. Then you are safe back inside the building.

The west staircase explained (3rd try): The west staircase is, strictly speaking, a fire staircase. From 4th floor you can open the door to the stairwell. From the stairwell you can not open the door to 4th floor (or to 3rd, 2nd, 1st, B1, or B2.). From the stairwell you can open the door to outside (on 2nd). From outside you can not open the door to the stairwell. I didn't want to call it a fire staircase because it's not one of those little metal stairs that hangs off tyhe side of the builing; this is a real staircase, surrounded by four solid walls. It's just all the doors are one-way from (deeper inside the building) -> (farther outside the building).

Since more of you are no checking the west staircase, I will also add that it runs up as well as down, to a roof access. This roof access is normally kept locked, but occasionally is left unlocked by the maintenance guys who go up there to smoke (I know this because IRL I use the west staircase as a place to take cell phone calls without being disturbed). There is a 10% chance it is unlocked; if this dice roll is a 10 you're in business: [roll0]. (So the roof access is locked, then.)

The east staircase is completely diferent. It's open at 4th floor, no door at all; the top door to the storage room is a normal two-way door; the door to the outside, currently being pounded on quite loudly (except in Zorander's world), is a one-way door the opens from the inside only and has no external door handle or knob of any kind.

The person outside was not familiar to you and had no obvious wounds, but looked sickly-pale. Since many of you suspect zombies I will also add in that this person was not rotting.

Lordhenry, there is a door handle on the outside of each door, but it is locked and you haven't the key. The door to the outside world, however, has no external door knob or handle of any kind. Right now you do not have any 90-degree item that is thin enough to go under the door as you described. You can tape the locks or prop the doors, if you want.

Proven-Paradox, you find that yes, you can recall the elevator to the 4th floor and, by leaving the 4th floor West Staircase door propped you can access lower floors and then return. You also discover that the elevator is in security mode, and will only taske you to 1, 2, or 3; not 4 or the basement levels.

I assume that you will all leave the east offices now, closing the mag-lock door behind you, in case your friend outside were to manage to batter in the door somehow.

At this point I feel you guys have exhausted this floor and most of you have given plans for where to go next. I'll wait a little longer for any last-minute ideas or questions and then we'll finish the area, award demon roaches, and move on. I'll check back in a bit.

ap

Starbuck_II
2008-10-15, 10:20 AM
As the figures jumps to his feet and charges, I calmly pull out ashtray and pull door shut.
I only had my head out anyway (and arms to throw coffee cup I guess).

Did the man looked drugged up like the news report?

I try shouting "who are you?", "Are you infected?", and "why did you charge me?"
I try my best to communicate, but if it fails oh well, walk back to the office.

Is there anyway to shimmy down a rope (phone cord or electrical cord tapped together or whatever) down to 3rd floor? I gather up a couple of electrical wires from the office (unplugged first) after all most the computers are unuseable.
I do'nt unplug the Mystery writers' computers because I need something function...maybe later

I remember, you mentioned that the 4th floor can spit down to 1st floor... do the other floors have openings to that main area as well?

If so I try to make the "rope" (I name it Mr. T). I was a Boy Scout (did'nt make Eagle but whatever) so I know how to knot and tie up things tight. I wasn't bad at roipe climbing in gym so I can climb a rope.

I do a couple test runs with the "Mr. T" before putting my plans in action. I find something sturdy and heavy to tie the initial part of "Mr. T" to. Like a Desk or something.

I make sure, that the desk is heavy by putting some of top of it.

Then I make sure my "Mr. T" is long enough and I made enough hand holds so that I can climb down without rope burn (cause that hurts).

If all goes well, I can a access-way between 3rd floor and 4th floor in case I need to come back up.
Although, I can't promise I'll climb fast back up...so not to be used if zombies are chasing me... unless I'm desperate.

With that in mind I climb down and look around: broom in my teeth and at the ready.

DrizztFan24
2008-10-15, 11:11 AM
Another_Poet
was my post addressed in your response? Or are you waiting until everyone else ventures to another level?

Zorander
2008-10-15, 11:13 AM
I take a deep breath and go back to the 4th floor, securing the east office mag-lock door. I check my computer for the weather reports for the past 3 days to see if it rained (suspecting airborne contaminant)and rest for the night. In the morning, I prop open the 4th floor door on the west stairwell and take the elevator to the 3rd floor, searching first for any occupants or information (recent newspaper), then exhibits for other weapons (ax, sword, guns with ammunition, bow and arrows), flashlights and batteries and perhaps a coil of rope (what type of exhibits? Glass cases of items or dioramas of scenes?). I don't worry about smashing the glass cases, but use caution so as not to get cut. I will work my way down floor by floor using the same caution for others. I look for a cart on the library floor so I can carry extra items to the stairwell. On the first floor, I carefully search the gift shop for maps, marbles, flashlights and disposable cameras with flash. I check the front desk and all the drawers and cabinets hoping to find keys. In the cafe, I scrounge for wrapped food and canned and bottled drinks and eat.

At the 2nd floor outside world door (west side), I listen carefully for any noises, then holding my cleaver in my hand, crack it open to see if anyone is out there, if I detect no persons, I prop open the door and take a quick look around.

I will examine the basement levels later.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-15, 12:16 PM
Alrighty then. I believe there was a janitor's closet up here, the last thing I do before I go is search in there for a keyring, because damn that would be helpful. If I don't find one...

As for the door, I tape the catch in so it is effectively unlocked. However, this leaves the fourth floor vulnerable to someone coming in, so I leave an "alarm." Depending on which direction the door is facing, I bend a paperclip at 90 degrees and put it so that when the door opens, it will move the paperclip. I extend the bottom part of the clip so that it is visible from the other side of the door. When I return to this floor, that's the first thing I'll be looking for before I open the door: has the paperclip been disturbed.

If I found a keyring that can open these doors, I don't tape the catch, but I still leave the clip.

If I found the keyring, I now take the stairs down to B2 (looking for guns/other weapons). If I didn't find one, I'll save my lockpicking skills for another day and go down to 3rd via the elevator.

EDIT: acronyms!

Contaminated/Reanimated Enemy Persons
(pronounced CREEPs)

Hostile, Infected Persons

Another_Poet
2008-10-15, 01:58 PM
Drizztfan: Actually I missed your post while typing my own. Most of it will depend on what you find in the next area. Here are a few other things:

No keyring in the closet.

Yes, I believe you can get the cord-rope (Mr T) to work. It will actually take you to the 3rd floor, which is several normal floor-heights below you. (You can slo see part of the second floor below you; the floors are kind of staggered, as you'll see in the map I eventually povide.)

No updates from Gas Station Guy or other posters online; no new email either. Weather report does include scattered rain showed and cloudy weather over the past few days - not unusual at this time of year in your area.

I think that's it. Area 2 wrap-up in just a moment.

Another_Poet
2008-10-15, 02:13 PM
Area 2 Wrap-Up!

From now on, the demon roaches awarded in each area can be accumulated and spent to alter minor details in the museum! This is how it works:

DEMON ROACH RULES
1) Demon roaches can never create or delete an NPC.
2) 6 demon roaches can be spent to change 1 detail in the museum. This overrides what I've posted, and affects all players, not just you.
3) Players can pool their demon roaches to make a change. Players must decide who spends how many, and must be very clear about this to me. ONE of the players speaks for the group and states exactly what change will be made - best to work it out in PM before you post it to the thread.
4) Players can spend 6 demon roaches to veto 1 change made by other players. This must be done soon after the change is made, before it affects plot significantly. Both sides then lose their spent roaches. Multiple players can gang up to veto, just like multiple players can gang up to make a change. Again, ONE person posts with the exact veto on behalf of the group. Work it out in PM before you post.

Got it? Spend 6 demon roaches, make a change. If your change is ridiculous (There's a loaded bazooka kept in the museum! Score!) I will override it, but I'll at least let you keep your demon roaches. Note that my decisions are totally arbitrary, but I do have an actual museum to scope out to inform me. I'll try to be both honest and fair.

HOW DO YOU GET DEMON ROACHES? Easy.... post a particularly clever AND believable solution to a problem, or amuse me in some way. Read the demon roach awards below to get a sense of what works.

AREA 2 DEMON ROACH AWARDS!

AstralFire: :roach: hot coffee weapon

Asbestos: :roach: knowing more about emergency broadcast than I do

LordHenry: :roach: :roach: first to do the fuse box thing, and roleplayed it well ("As I explore this floor, I'm keeping an eye out very carefully for any panels that I might walk past every day without noticing."
and :roach: for describing some pretty elaborate... umm... "duct-tape gear" and backing it all up on his very own character sheet.
and :roach: for being the first to leave a way for whoever was outside the door to get back in. How nice of you.
and :roach: for having the best quote so far (see earlier post)
and :roach: for the coolest securing-the-door-but-leaving-it-unlocked method I saw (disturbed paperclip trap)

Starbuck II: :roach: for using the imaginary internet to check the actual website on which this imaginary game is actually being played. Or something.
and :roach: for convincing me you can make and use a phone-cord-rope to climb between levels.

PaladinBoy: :roach: for being the first to actually try to get a bag/briefcase to carry stuff.

DrizztFan: :roach: :roach: for coming up with what I thought was the absolute best weapon idea (but see bellow) plus adding chemicals to the mix. You scare me.
and :roach: for starting the enemy acronym game

Deej: :roach: :roach: for realistically hacking his/her coworker's computers. Sweet!

Colmarr: :roach: For starting to work on one of my favourite jury-rigged weapons, the molotov. He doesn't have the flammable filler yet, but it's a start.
and :roach: because you also left the door open for whoever was outside, and I think LordHenry simply ninja'd you.
and :roach: for doing the elevator experiment and figuring out you can use the stairs no problem

Zorander: :roach: for making an around-the-corner peeper

obliged_salmon: :roach: :roach: for making what I think is the absolute best weapon anyone's made so far, the Paper Cleaver.

TheFallenOne: :roach: :roach: for guaging time elapsed by facial hair grown. Brilliant!

Proven_Paradox: :roach: for keeping a tidy and up-to-date inventory

Also, I'd like to retroactively award :roach: :roach: to quillbreaker for being the only person in Area 1 to admit that his/her (fairly believable) cellphone recharge attempt might destroy his/her phone. Nice!

Demon Roach Cumulative Totals:

9 astralfire

1 asbestos

3 colmarr

2 deej

3 drizztfan

4 flashlight

4 Gralamin

6 Jack Zander

14 lordhenry

2 obliged_salmon

1 paladinboy

1 Proven_Paradox

2 quillbreaker (retroactive)

2 starbuck II

2 Tadanori Oyama

2 TheFallenOne

1 zorander
Congratulations roach-winners! See you in Area 3!

edited to clarify: Everyone can join Area 3, not just roach winners. The link to the new area should go up tomorrow.

:smallsmile:

ap

Colmarr
2008-10-15, 05:01 PM
Cool. I'm happy with 3 roaches :smallsmile:

Quick question though: You didn't answer my question about visible wounds on the figure that attacked us. You mentioned that he wasn't rotting, but nothing else.

I'm trying to figure out whether the "funk" is transmitted by injury or by something else (air, contact, ingestion etc).

That might be relevant to what we can/can't eat, can/can't touch and can/can't go.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-15, 05:06 PM
@Colmarr, I think he mentioned somewhere that the man wasn't bleeding. Not sure where though.

Also, hooray for moving on up (or down, as the case may be)! For the record, here's the updated version of my character sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=85578) (I'll probably just post it again in the next area but oh well). :smallsmile: can't wait!

Starbuck_II
2008-10-15, 05:34 PM
Starbuck II: :roach: for using the imaginary internet to check the actual website on which this imaginary game is actually being played. Or something.

Thanks, I appreciate them.

The internet thing was working so why not: I almost decided to post to check this thread and see how I was doing, but decided against it because how often does that make sense.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-15, 05:37 PM
The internet thing was working so why not: I almost decided to post to check this thread and see how I was doing, but decided against it because how often does that make sense.

But recursion is a computer's (and time travel's :smalleek:) best friend!!

Another_Poet
2008-10-15, 10:24 PM
Cool. I'm happy with 3 roaches :smallsmile:

Quick question though: You didn't answer my question about visible wounds on the figure that attacked us. You mentioned that he wasn't rotting, but nothing else.

I'm trying to figure out whether the "funk" is transmitted by injury or by something else (air, contact, ingestion etc).

That might be relevant to what we can/can't eat, can/can't touch and can/can't go.

I had stated it somewhere above, but there were no obvious wounds.

Colmarr
2008-10-16, 12:04 AM
I had stated it somewhere above, but there were no obvious wounds.

No worries. I obviously missed it. Thanks.

Now I'll have to go through Area 3 holding my breath in case it's an inhaled contagion! :smalltongue:

Starbuck_II
2008-10-16, 05:49 AM
No worries. I obviously missed it. Thanks.

Now I'll have to go through Area 3 holding my breath in case it's an inhaled contagion! :smalltongue:

Unless it is in the coffee: remember the guy outside had like 10 cups in his trash can.

DrizztFan24
2008-10-16, 02:57 PM
Or it is something else and has a dormancy period. We could be infected and just have not joined the crowd yet. Good thing I don't drink coffee....or tea.

Could be contact, maybe no wounds needed.

Another_Poet
2008-10-16, 03:26 PM
update: it won't be till tomorrow at earliest that I get the next area up. If not tomorrow it won't be till Monday. :(

Starbuck_II
2008-10-16, 06:41 PM
Or it is something else and has a dormancy period. We could be infected and just have not joined the crowd yet. Good thing I don't drink coffee....or tea.

Could be contact, maybe no wounds needed.

Yeah, that is true...why are we uninfected? Are we infected?

I mean, what if we look hideous/zombie-like and that was why he attacked us?
Granted, I would have noticed in the bathroom mirrors...unless we can't see the change.

It's cool Another_Poet: that way I have something to do monday besides study for Organic Chem Exams. :smallbiggrin:

Colmarr
2008-10-16, 11:44 PM
My paranoia is spreading! Mwuhahaha :nale:

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-17, 03:43 PM
My paranoia is spreading! Mwuhahaha :nale:

I'm calling dibs on the paranoia; I decided to wear a mask as soon as I encountered the guy outside :p

TheFallenOne
2008-10-18, 04:39 AM
Nice, I got two demon roaches. They demand cake (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0116.html)

So, if in the next area we're streamlined into one character again, can I keep my improved glaive(the one that uses both duct tape und a phone cord to attach the cleaver to the broom stick which should make it way sturdier)?

There was still something I wanted to do in this area, I'll just post it, if you don#t accept any more actions for area 2 now I'll delay it until Area 3.

Contacting that guy at the gas station
So I know he left the gas station and I know he tried to make it to the houses along Lake Drive. He's the last confirmed survivor I know of so I should try to make contact with him.
I'll use google maps or something similar to look at the route from the gas station to Lake Drive. I determine the 30something houses he could reach most easily from his location. Then I look up the phone numbers of those houses and give each of them a call. If I get an answering machine I leave the following message.
"Hi <nickname>, my name is <whatever>, I saw your message on CNN.com and figured you'd end up in one of the houses in this area. I'm not sure what's going on but at the moment you and I are the last two humans I know of who are still alive and sane. Please contact me so we can work together to get through whatever is happening now. My email is [email protected], the phone number of my current location is <number of one of the phones here, preferrably one with an answering machine>, please don't be alarmed if I don't answer on the first call, I'm exploring my surroundings to get supplies, secure shelter and something to defend myself with. Just try again. Stay alive, I hope to see you soon."
If he made it to Lake Drive that should give me good chances to contact him without having to go there, he'll sure use the phone sooner or later to check on friends and family and won't be able to resist a blinking answering machine.

PS: I think you didn't tell me if I can acess my voicemail from the computer so I can try to make that voice discernable with a few audio filters. If I can't download the message, is there perhaps a microfone one one of the computers so I can make a recording of the message?

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-18, 08:42 PM
@Fallen
The phones don't work :( They all give an error message, calling anything from any phone (land or cell).

TheFallenOne
2008-10-19, 03:29 AM
Yes, I remembered later. Damn [urinating dog]. I'd totally forgotten, I thought it was just that nobody answered

So, if we can change a detail inside the museum with 6 roaches, how many do we need to get the worldwide phone network back online? 400 should suffice I think? Let's get creative guys!

What I really don't understand is why I can call my voicemail without getting an error message

edit: in any case, it might be a local and not a worldwide problem, so I'll test if I can call anyone with Skype

Another_Poet
2008-10-20, 10:26 AM
The voicemail on your cell in inaccessible. The voicemail on your work landline, like all the work numbers, is accessible. It's locally stored and you can call all in-house numbers. Outside numbers don't work.

It is not checkable from your computer. If you find a mic you can try to make a recording and clean it up.

Items will coalesce, the best and most impressive will be on the new inventory list.

Should be up later today.

ap

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-22, 04:40 PM
Emphatically not complaining that the game isn't up, I'm just asking to make sure I didn't miss the post or some such?

Another_Poet
2008-10-22, 07:27 PM
You didn't miss it, it just hasn't been posted yet. And I appreciate the not-complaining, but even so, I feel I owe an apology. Sorry the game isn't up guys! This week is crazy. I may still get it up this week, but next week seems more likely.

Feel free to keep pestering me - it does actually increase the amount of time I put into this :)

DrizztFan24
2008-10-22, 09:40 PM
In that case, infinite pestering ghosts follows you about...just to make sure :P

I am afraid I am addicted and now want to start a PbP game that if free-form like this, but a different setting.

Colmarr
2008-10-22, 09:52 PM
Consider yourself pestered by me too.

I'm loving this game, and every morning and afternoon this week I've been a sad panda after realising there are no new posts :smallfrown:

Zorander
2008-10-22, 11:45 PM
My lonely demon roach is nipping at your heels!

:roach:

Starbuck_II
2008-10-23, 05:46 AM
This is rather fun. It lets me do roleplaying. Since I've been stuck without D&D at college (this year, last yrar my DM graduated) this helps lessen my fix needs (I admit I'm addicted to roleplaying).

So post the next part soon, please, I need my fix.

Another_Poet
2008-10-30, 12:39 PM
AREA 3 IS NOW UP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95218)! Head on over, guys!

Sorry it took so long. When you see the map you'll understand. I'm not familiar with all those areas, so between scouting them out, making the map, writing the post, and all the extra work I've have this week, well you get the idea.

HAVE FUN!
ap