PDA

View Full Version : The Trial of Elan?

VetMichael
2008-10-08, 06:01 PM
Since Hinjo has ordered a search of the ocean floor for Kubota's remains, it should be assumed that the armor will be found. This leads me to the question of whether Hinjo will have some sort of trial for Elan since he was the last person to be "seen" in the company of Kubota.

-OR-

If the remains are NOT found, will Hinjo assume that Elan helped Kubota escape justice?

Either way, Elan didn't help his case with the lame piranha lie.

Thoughts?

Theodoriph
2008-10-08, 06:06 PM
No.

To use a few more words, Elan has been protecting Hinjo for the past 7 months or so. Furthermore, in the glade when Hinjo and company were disguised as trees, Elan tried to woo Therkla to Hinjo's side and away from Kubota.

I doubt Hinjo will turn on Elan just because they find some armor. He probably doesn't believe Elan, but that doesn't mean he's going to think he's a traitor. He'll probably assume Kubota is dead, but there was something funny about how his death went down that Elan doesn't want to talk about.

Mercenary Pen
2008-10-08, 06:13 PM
However, Hinjo might well decide that- with a new lick of paint- Kubota's +5 armour might easily find a new owner.

Shadic
2008-10-08, 06:17 PM
..Hinjo's armor would work really well for.. Most the melee characters in the comic.

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 06:19 PM
..Hinjo's armor would work really well for.. Most the melee characters in the comic.

Is it particularly good? *doesn't recall*

Kish
2008-10-08, 06:25 PM

Hinjo's armor? Never specified.

Kubota's armor, on the other hand, was +5 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0593.html). +5 what, we don't know--leather? Full plate? Chain shirt? In any case, I'm sure someone would like it.

Red XIV
2008-10-08, 06:27 PM
Not mentioned specifically, but Hinjo is the Lord of Azure City. He apparently has multiple katanas made of any material that might be needed against particular foe. At least before the retreat from the city, running out of money wasn't something he had to worry about. I doubt he went cheap when it came to armor.

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 06:29 PM
Not mentioned specifically, but Hinjo is the Lord of Azure City. He apparently has multiple katanas made of any material that might be needed against particular foe. At least before the retreat from the city, running out of money wasn't something he had to worry about. I doubt he went cheap when it came to armor.

All true, very good points.

Kranden
2008-10-08, 07:28 PM
Most likely he has a very special powerful piece of armor made from a very rare metal that was given to him by his uncle. Obviously nobody else knows about it or that would lower the dramatic tension later when they think he is killed.

hey wait a second....

Grail
2008-10-08, 09:57 PM
Elan has obviously lied. Armour may well be found without a body. V has vanished.

Will be pretty straight forward to work out what might have happened.

Theodoriph
2008-10-08, 10:28 PM
Most likely he has a very special powerful piece of armor made from a very rare metal that was given to him by his uncle. Obviously nobody else knows about it or that would lower the dramatic tension later when they think he is killed.

hey wait a second....

hehe =D Is there anything LOTR can't be applied to!

Kranden
2008-10-08, 10:33 PM
Hehehe I knew somebody would figure it out soon :P

Liwen
2008-10-08, 11:09 PM
Nice Lord of the Ring Reference. You probably just blew up one of Rich's future jokes, 'cause he LOVES references.

Greep
2008-10-09, 02:44 AM
Pfft, most likely to be put on trial is hinjo himself actually, as he has more of a motive, at least according to kubota's lackeys.

Setra
2008-10-09, 02:48 AM
Pfft, most likely to be put on trial is hinjo himself actually, as he has more of a motive, at least according to kubota's lackeys.

Worry less about the lackeys and more about the other nobles.

Tass
2008-10-09, 02:58 AM
I think thats what he meant... kubotas lackey nobles.

Greep
2008-10-09, 02:59 AM
I think thats what he meant... kubotas lackey nobles.

yes, and his lackey ninja nobles (not the lackey ninja zombie nobles, though, they work for xykon now)

Edit: huh... is it egotistical to want to sig one of your own comments? lol

Kranden
2008-10-09, 08:27 AM
Nice Lord of the Ring Reference. You probably just blew up one of Rich's future jokes, 'cause he LOVES references.

I'll forgive him if he uses it :P I thought it was clever.

Ikialev
2008-10-09, 11:10 AM
it should be assumed that the armor will be found. This leads me to the question of whether Hinjo will have some sort of trial for Elan since he was the last person to be "seen" in the company of Kubota.
There were skeleton-eating piranha. Not armor-eating ones.

Liwen
2008-10-09, 11:22 AM
And let's not forget that a trial isn't the only option availble to Hinjo in this situation. Sure, Elan lied, but is that enough to justify a trial? I mean we all lie sometimes because we are pissed, exhausted or just don't feel like telling the hard cool truth all the time and V leaving the boat is a hard moment to live trough for Elan.

Hinjo might just try again later, after Elan got some time to work this event into his life. Elan could then tell the truth in such a way that Hinjo wouldn't even be mad at him, only sorry that it ended up like this.

This is not Miko we are talking about here, but a paladin with a least a partial grasp on common sense and the concept of forgiveness. Sure the noble are gonna be pissed, but the only one with the true blame is now away, out of reach and probably powerfull enough to slaugther them all should they be dumb and lucky enough to find and attemp to restrain him.

So no, they will not be a Elan's trial, he allready had one back in Azure city and that's enough.

d'Bwobsling
2008-10-09, 11:25 AM
There were skeleton-eating piranha. Not armor-eating ones.

Yeah, but they would have eaten the armor in the process

NerfTW
2008-10-09, 11:43 AM
Most likely they would simply kick Durkon and Elan off the ship. Hinjo has no authority over them. Even if he confined them to the brig, they are the two highest level characters on the ship, and would simply escape.

Also, he knows as well as they do that the real threat is Xykon. His responsibility is to his people. If push came to shove, he'd likely part ways with them rather than jeopardize his people or the entire world. In 502 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0502.html), he told Elan they could leave at the next port if finding Roy was more important to him.

Most likely they are going to try to follow V for now, since going for the next gate with Hinjo and his resources behind them would start to make them a bit too powerful, and this provides an oppurtunity for the plot to move away from Azure City for a while.

Belkster11
2008-10-09, 01:50 PM
Which begs the question: Why didn't V, Durkon and Elan leave at the first post they came to? That way, V would have diligently searched for Haley w/o having to be conscripted to Hinjo's court.

Seriously, V, you coulda saved yourself MONTHS of anguish had you simply said: "Lord Hinjo, I am taking my comrades with me and we will go and search for Miss Starshine. Goodbye."

Leta
2008-10-09, 02:22 PM
Which begs the question: Why didn't V, Durkon and Elan leave at the first post they came to? That way, V would have diligently searched for Haley w/o having to be conscripted to Hinjo's court.

Seriously, V, you coulda saved yourself MONTHS of anguish had you simply said: "Lord Hinjo, I am taking my comrades with me and we will go and search for Miss Starshine. Goodbye."That's fine in theory, but they weren't going to follow him wherever he decides to take them. I doubt that Elan would've been okay with abandoning Hinjo.

Also, rather than running off to some random place without knowing where Haley's group is, it's better to stay with Hinjo for the purpose of finding her: If they're both moving, they could end up on opposite ends of the world, whereas if Haley hears where Hinjo's ships are, she'll know that that's where V and co. were last, and she'll go there.

Njord
2008-10-09, 04:00 PM
I think that if we read the whole V speech on weeks lost on trial instead of going to the main plot, we'll see a clear state from the giant that there will be no more Trials (at least by the Azure City law enforcement).

So its safe to say that Elan is not going to trial, nor V, nor anyone.

Or so I really want to believe.

Linkavitch
2008-10-09, 04:13 PM
Hinjo at least appeared to believe Elan, and if they find the armor, then he will figure out that V did it. At which point the paladins will follow V, and they will all meet up somewhere, and V wil account for his actions.

NorseItalian
2008-10-09, 04:17 PM
I think Rich has already made it clear he doesn't want to do another lengthy trial scene.

AceOfFools
2008-10-10, 07:04 PM
Elan lied to the legitimate authority after the fact to throw off investigation into the death.

That makes him an accessory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessory_After_the_Fact) to the murder.

Given that Azure City has different degrees of murder based on pre-meditation (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0520.html), along with the trial with guaranteed legal council, it probably has Accessory laws not unlike our own.

Elan is not on the firmest of ground and if I were him (in addition to leaving Hinjo and Lien to draw their own conclusions about lack of bones), I'd grab my allies and get off the boat at the next solid peer we came across.

Warren Dew
2008-10-10, 07:19 PM
Yeah, but they would have eaten the armor in the process

What do you mean? Everyone knows that dire half dragon bone eating saltwater werepiranha teeth are only +3 and don't damage any items that are +4 or better. In fact, it's pretty standard when winning an aged dragon hoard that's got too much gold to find the really valuable stuff in, to just dump it all into a pool of dire half dragon bone eating saltwater werepiranhas to get rid of the junky trash items. Once they're done, you just pick the +4 and +5 items out of the werepiranha ... sludge.

NerfTW
2008-10-12, 07:51 PM
Elan lied to the legitimate authority after the fact to throw off investigation into the death.

That makes him an accessory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessory_After_the_Fact) to the murder.

Given that Azure City has different degrees of murder based on pre-meditation (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0520.html), along with the trial with guaranteed legal council, it probably has Accessory laws not unlike our own.

Elan is not on the firmest of ground and if I were him (in addition to leaving Hinjo and Lien to draw their own conclusions about lack of bones), I'd grab my allies and get off the boat at the next solid peer we came across.

Belkar killed a guard in cold blood while in prison. Kabuto was killed during a battle where he attacked first. While a trial might reveal that he was killed after he surrendered, Hinjo has no reason to believe that he was murdered while defenseless, and therefore would be inclined to simply allow Elan and Durkon to leave without risking his Paladin status.

Lupy
2008-10-12, 09:08 PM
For Out of Character reasons, I doubt that Rich would subject us to another trial. Additionally, Warren Dew is now a god.