PDA

View Full Version : I just slept for 20 hours

Setra
2008-10-08, 07:13 PM
And I am really annoyed about it.

I went to sleep at 11PM, I woke up at 7PM.

Personally I thought it was 7AM when I woke up, and only just found out this was not the case a minute ago.

My sleep schedule is now completely ruined. Hopefully I'll be up in time to go to school tomorrow.

Deathslayer7
2008-10-08, 07:14 PM
I think the most i slept was 17 hours. Went from about 9 pm to about 2pm the next day. But that was when i was sick.

Moff Chumley
2008-10-08, 07:15 PM
Shout at whoever didn't wake you up. It always helps me.

DraPrime
2008-10-08, 07:16 PM

Personally I thought it was 7AM when I woke up, and only just found out this was not the case a minute ago.

My sleep schedule is now completely ruined. Hopefully I'll be up in time to go to school tomorrow.

Well I recommend working out. HARD. Even if you are really out of shape, do it. It will tire you, and a warm shower after that will relax you, making you more ready for sleep. At least, that's what works for me.

Setra
2008-10-08, 07:20 PM
Well I recommend working out. HARD. Even if you are really out of shape, do it. It will tire you, and a warm shower after that will relax you, making you more ready for sleep. At least, that's what works for me.That oddly doesn't work for me.

Instead I'll probably just try to stay up until I get home from school tomorrow (Class is 6PM to 10PM), but seeing as I just had 20 hours of sleep... I don't forsee a problem.

DraPrime
2008-10-08, 07:22 PM
That oddly doesn't work for me.

Instead I'll probably just try to stay up until I get home from school tomorrow (Class is 6PM to 10PM), but seeing as I just had 20 hours of sleep... I don't forsee a problem.

In that case may I recommend a hammer to the head?

Note: DP does not endorse using a hammer as a way of falling asleep.

Unless it's funny

Destro_Yersul
2008-10-08, 07:22 PM

I did this once, except it was 5 when I woke up, and I started wondering immediately why it was so dark.

Swok
2008-10-08, 08:00 PM
On the topic of sleeping for a long time, I've had plenty of times where I thought I did. Fall asleep for like an hour and wake up and then absolutely panic thinking I missed a class or something like that.

thorgrim29
2008-10-08, 08:04 PM
A guy I know once slept 36 hours.... admittedly, this was after midterms and getting, really, really drunk, he missed 3 classes.

Maxymiuk
2008-10-08, 08:20 PM
The only time I slept that long (I think it ended up being 27 hours total) was after local anesthesia for a surgery. Came back home, the drugs wore off, I lied down for a moment, next thing I know it's tommorow.

ocato
2008-10-08, 08:22 PM
The only time I slept that long (I think it ended up being 27 hours total) was after local anesthesia for a surgery. Came back home, the drugs wore off, I lied down for a moment, next thing I know it's tommorow.

That happened when I got my wisdom teeth out. I went to the dentist on Thursday and all of a sudden it was Saturday.

RTGoodman
2008-10-08, 08:27 PM
On the topic of sleeping for a long time, I've had plenty of times where I thought I did. Fall asleep for like an hour and wake up and then absolutely panic thinking I missed a class or something like that.

Man, I hate that. Back in college for a half of a semester or so I would accidentally take a nap in the afternoons after classes were over (at about 4pm or so, having been in class since 9am), and then I'd wake up about an hour or two later and think it was the next morning.

Enlong
2008-10-08, 08:40 PM
Wow. First we have a Playgrounder who stayed/(is staying?) up for like 2 days straight, and now a Playgrounder who slept for a full day. It's like, screwed-up-sleep-patterns in the Playground. I actually half-thought that these'd be from the same person...

Recaiden
2008-10-08, 08:45 PM
I once slept for 36-ish hours while I was sick. Wokr up 2 days later and was really confused at first.

Setra
2008-10-08, 08:56 PM
Oddly enough I'm not sick.

I think. I don't FEEL sick anyways. And I didn't feel sick before I went to sleep either.

Knaight
2008-10-08, 08:58 PM
Wow 18 is my record, and that was after getting about 7 hours of sleep over the last four days. Although I have a really wierd sleep schedule, I sleep naturally for about 6 and a half hours, then occasionally crash for a good four or five extra on some days.

UncleWolf
2008-10-08, 08:58 PM
The only time I slept for more than 18 hours straight was after a LONG plane ride. Ahhh... the wonders of jet lag.

BanjoTheClown
2008-10-08, 09:06 PM
The most i've ever slept is like around 16 or 18 hours.

Desidus
2008-10-08, 09:19 PM
Can't say I've ever slept longer than 12-14 hours. I'm starting to feel uncool in the sleeping club

Zeful
2008-10-08, 09:33 PM
I've slept for 21ish hours once. My eyes had dried out, causing HORRENDOUS PAIN! I managed to take two aspirin and pass out.

TigerHunter
2008-10-08, 10:34 PM
Here, send me 8 hours of that. You'll be able to go to sleep on time, and my body will hate me for abusing it so badly a little less.

Mordokai
2008-10-08, 10:58 PM
I envy you. I haven't been able to sleep over ten hours in years and lately I'm glad for anything more then six hours. Of course, lately, that has been my conscious choice, but even when I have time I have hard time sleeping over eight hours, unless I'm really exhausted. And I haven't been that exhausted in a long time.

Don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

Deathslayer7
2008-10-08, 11:19 PM
sleep is healthy for you. And natural. :smallbiggrin:

The Orange Zergling
2008-10-08, 11:26 PM
One time my parents (waaay before I was born) went to Munich, Germany for... I think a business trip, and they had a really long travel day and when they got to the hotel they took a nap... which lasted something like 23 hours. The hotel staff decided to check up on them to make sure they didn't die or something.

My record is probably around the 11-12 mark... I feel lame.

Vizen
2008-10-08, 11:36 PM
Just yesterday I slept for 15 and a half hours. Though I just can't sleep for a long time anymore, but thats cause my girlfriend has this strange liking of talking to me when I just wake up, and phones me at absurd times like 3am.

I take advantage of that on school days though and talked her into waking me up at 6am every day. ^_^

arguskos
2008-10-08, 11:43 PM
Personal record: 49 hours. Why? I honestly don't know. What I DO know is that I no longer lock my room when I sleep (I used to be silly about that, but no longer!), and I take damn good care to get a *more* balanced sleep schedule.

Normally, I sleep around 10-14 hours a night. I find that staying up for 18-20 and sleeping 10-12 works great for me. I'm always decently rested, and I have the schedule to accommodate my strange sleeping patterns.

To everyone out there, don't sleep more than 36 hours at a time. Not only does it mess you up mentally and physically, but when you miss two days of life with no one seeing you, stuff gets crazy.

-argus

Frojoe21
2008-10-09, 12:24 AM
My personal record is 24 hours on the dot. Arguably not as impressive as ^ who topped over two days.

I'd tip my hat to you good sir...if I could fit one on my head.

Kjata
2008-10-09, 12:46 AM
Personal record: 49 hours.

Sweet Jesus! How the hell? I can't even imagine!

Icewalker
2008-10-09, 01:32 AM
So it hasn't even come up in this much thread: what did you do to result in 20 hours of sleep? Stay up a while, do something really tiring...?

thubby
2008-10-09, 02:19 AM
stay up till 7pm, go to bed, wake up at normal school necessary hours. what were you up to anyhow?
the best i ever did was 26 hours, courtesy of appendicitis.

Setra
2008-10-09, 02:31 AM
So it hasn't even come up in this much thread: what did you do to result in 20 hours of sleep? Stay up a while, do something really tiring...?
Who knows

I mean I really don't do much aside from school and work (when I actually have a job), however I also have the most random sleep schedule ever. I never know when I'll be up next week.

For example, one day I'd get up at 4AM, the next day I might get up at 6AM. I also go to bed at random times, but I usually get 8-12 hours of sleep... though sometimes if I have a job I'll stay up too much and get 5 or so... but this hasn't been the case recently.

I did wake up a few times (it was hot) but I pretty much went right back to sleep...

Mordokai
2008-10-09, 03:29 AM
sleep is healthy for you. And natural. :smallbiggrin:

I'm well aware of that. But I require no more. Sure, I'd like it, I just don't need it. And I seem to adapt to less sleep well. Which is kinda sad.

Personal record: 49 hours.

Holy zombie Jezus on a stick! Excuse my french, but... how the hell did you managed to do that? If you weren't in a coma, unconscious or somehow out for the count(neither of which really constitutes as sleep, if you ask me), I don't see that psychally possible.

Note: the aforementioned undead deity isn't meant to be offensive to anybody. It serves merely as my expression of great surprise in this case.

Desilva
2008-10-09, 03:39 AM
The only time I sleep longer than about 10 hours is when I'm really depressed.

Which is less and less often encouragingly enough.

Does anyone else sometimes go to sleep, have incredibly deep and lucid dreams, then wake up 2-4 hours later with enough energy to punch out Mike Tyson, Darth Vader, and God all in a single fight?

bosssmiley
2008-10-09, 03:41 AM
@OP: all the best creatures hibernate (bears, tortoises, hedgehogs, bats, Eggy, etc.). You should be glad that you have gained this ability just in time to sleep through the inevitable Mad Max collapse of civilisation and the subsequent Zombie-, Robot-, and Bug Wars.

"Wake me when we contact hot green alien babes, and not before!"

thubby
2008-10-09, 03:51 AM
The only time I sleep longer than about 10 hours is when I'm really depressed.

Which is less and less often encouragingly enough.

Does anyone else sometimes go to sleep, have incredibly deep and lucid dreams, then wake up 2-4 hours later with enough energy to punch out Mike Tyson, Darth Vader, and God all in a single fight?

when I'm not coughing up a lung, yes.

Swordguy
2008-10-09, 04:41 AM
Not bad. My record is about 23 hours, the day after I got discharged from the Army and flew home (had to stay up on watch the entire night before, and discharge paperwork is a stone cold biatch).

The horrible thing is that I regularly sleep for 12-13 hours. If I get less than 10, it feels like I haven't slept at all (bloodshot eyes, sleepy, irritable, etc). It doesn't seem to matter which 12-13 hours it is (light or dark) so long as I sleep for half a day at a time. Dear god it sucks...

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-09, 05:51 AM
While I wasn't asleep the entire time, during the time I was on a ship doing a port visit in Russia, I was in "racked out" for a good 36 or so hours.

My back really hurt after laying down for that long.

Vizen
2008-10-09, 06:01 AM
While I wasn't asleep the entire time, during the time I was on a ship doing a port visit in Russia, I was in "racked out" for a good 36 or so hours.

My back really hurt after laying down for that long.

Ohhh yes...My back gets sore after lying down for a long while as well, thats another reason why I just can't sleep for the really crazy amounts of time.

Winterwind
2008-10-09, 06:09 AM
Wow, I had no idea it was possible for humans to sleep even nearly as much as people apparently routinely do around these parts! :smalleek: :smalltongue:
I think my record was somewhere around 13 or 14 hours... and that was after staying awake for 48 hours straight at a roleplaying convention. Usually, it's impossible for me to sleep more than 10-11 hours, no matter what I did before.

Krrth
2008-10-09, 09:33 AM
With pain medication.....between 3 and 4 days.

Without....about 20 hours.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-10-09, 09:38 AM
A friend of my nephew once went to sleep on saturday evening at 10 with warnings to other people to let him sleep.
He was woken up by co-workers(marine) on monday morning at seven. And then he was complaining why they´d woke him up so early.....Much amusement...

Faceist
2008-10-09, 09:40 AM
Insomniac, here. Much envy for all you people and your sleeping patterns. :smallfrown:

Ilena
2008-10-09, 09:43 AM
wow i wish i had the time to sleep that long, but my body wakes me up half way through sleep if im oging to get much more then 6 hours ... its like ... oh you went to sleep at 9 ... gota wake up at 430 ... well we can just wake up at 12 or something, cant have more then 6 now! gota be dead tired! (my body can be really annoying sometimes) the only time i slept any length recently was this monday cuzz my perents wernt home, didnt go to work, and it was completely dark ... still work up at 10 (from around 12 -1ish in the morning ...)

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-09, 09:44 AM
I'm a member of your ranks, Faceist. I just don't get out of my rack for a long time.

Krade
2008-10-09, 06:38 PM
In recent memory, my record is 17. Not much, I know, especially considering that I had been up for two and a half days. That was GenCon about 2 months ago. Allara kept telling me to go to sleep but I didn't have anywhere to go and they won't let you sleep in the convention center. Sometimes I really wish I lived closer to downtown...

Tar Palantir
2008-10-09, 06:45 PM
I apologize for your inconvenience, but I congratulate you on your accomplishment.

The Linker
2008-10-10, 12:38 PM
I find it very depressing to sleep for an unwantedly (+1 made up word!) long period of time. Time I'll never get back, and I wasn't doing anything productive! Bah. I hate how much of a waste it feels like.

Yesterday, I had a case of waking up and thinking it was much later, but it was my alarm clock's fault.

It rang at 7:30. I hit the snooze button. Zzzzzzzzzz.

It rang at 7:39. I hit the snooze button. Zzzzzzzzzz.

It rang at 7:48. I start waking up for realz. I look at the clock... and from the angle I was at, with it being on the floor below, the frame cut off the top of the 7. Plus, it was a particularily bright morning.

"HOLY CRAP IT'S 1:48!? I'M SO DEAD I'M SO DEAD I'M SO DEAD HOW DID THIS HAPPEN!?!?"

Then I took a closer look. "Oh! Heh. That's funny. Man, that would have been pretty bad."

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Setra
2008-10-10, 02:34 PM
Insomniac, here. Much envy for all you people and your sleeping patterns. :smallfrown:
What sleeping pattern?

My sleeping pattern is "try to be able to get up in time for important things, like work or school"

On another note I ended up staying up a mere 22 hours before falling asleep an hour before class (and missing it)

I then slept for a more normal 7 hours before being awakened at midnight by a random phone call, and finding myself not wanting to go back to sleep.

I've been up since then.