PDA

View Full Version : The Most Merciful Thing (Game Thread)

Pages : 1 [2]

RebelRogue
2008-12-09, 04:59 PM
What is this? A visit to Brobdingnag?, Will sarcastically thinks to himself after the introduction of yet another gigantic travel companion! Still, the joke about the orc being married to the fighter manages to make him chuckle along with Kioi. Well, appearantly he's friendly enough, despite his strange looks. And he seems to share our goals. Another helping hand sure would be useful if things got rough... With this reassuring though, Will steps sideways to reveal himself fully, still smiling.

Ascension
2008-12-09, 05:16 PM
Grug raises his bow again.

"I don't know who's more to blame... You," he turns to Kioi, "for mentioning the rest of our band but omitting me, you," he turns to Remus, "for thinking, because of his omission, that he was describing me as your wife, or you again," he turns back to Kioi, "for finding his error so amusing. As it stands I will blame neither of you for the gaffe... this time," he fires his arrow into the ground between the two men, "but I advise you both not to bring my manhood into question again."

As he is unstringing his bow, he addresses Kioi again, "Your presence cheers me, though. It was heartening when the last village we stayed in welcomed me without fear despite the color of my skin. If they also ignore the color of yours, then perhaps humanity is finally learning to come to terms with its neighbors. Well met, Kioi of the Tsimehetiy Tribe, I am Grug, called the Fair-Haired."

lostsole31
2008-12-09, 07:18 PM
"I would never question the prowess of one so thick-limbed, my fair-haired friend, and well met to you, too, Grug." Kioi thinks of mentioning the irony that Grug, not even half-human, should worry about his "man"-hood being questioned, but thinks the better of it.

Kioi himself appears, based on the squatness of his build, to be powerful of sinew himself, but stands at a modest-to-small (for a human) 5'8".

Kioi looks at the halfling, "Halfling, hmm? I have heard of a tribe, known as the Hin but called halflings by civilized men, which ride great lizards. But you don't strike me as one of them ... too many clothes. I meant no disrespect ... ??" Here Kioi pauses for a name.

RebelRogue
2008-12-10, 07:41 AM
William. Though most people just call me Will., the halfling responds. He takes a second to recall some of the tall tales his family told when he was a kid. I recall a few childhood stories about half-naked halflings riding wild beasts, but I honestly thought they were just that: stories. My family dresses pretty much like me, and the few that rides anything choose dogs as mounts.

lostsole31
2008-12-10, 02:49 PM
"I am honored to meet you, Will," says Kioi. "I am not so limited and arrogant in my views of another's innate strengths and weaknesses - like so many of the knights of the northern kingdoms here - to believe that you are useless on the battlefield. I haven't yet met my equal in mounted combat, though I feel that of all here - with my limited knowledge of your abilities - that I would rightfully fear you more than Remus or Grug."

Kioi quickly looks to Remus and Grug, "Mind you, this is in no way to diminish your strength or prowess . . . for surely looking at your broadly muscled frames I can match neither of you for strength. Still, there is an adage from my home that says, 'Beware the unseen blade.' And you, Will, are small enough that you look like you would excel in that capacity.

"No, be these women witch or healers, were I to find myself opposing you in arms, I would be wary of all of you - respectful of my fellow warriors, especially - but you would be the one which most would make me nervous. How do you fight that which you cannot see?"

AetherFox
2008-12-10, 03:32 PM
Nis'Amain watches the stranger as he moves closer to the party, eying him more out of curiosity than suspicion. When Kioi makes the crack about a wife, Nis' rolls her eyes, watching them laugh.
Regardless, she extends her hand to Kioi and says, "Nis'Amain, healer of Pelor. Pleased to meet you."
She sees the holy symbol on his armor and says, "Lyris? You must have seen much time in battle..."
Knowledge religion [roll0]

lostsole31
2008-12-10, 04:04 PM
Untrained K (Religion) check, DC 10 for the most basic Pelorian biz since he's so common ... [roll0]

"Pelor, he's the healing god of the northern lands, isn't he? If so, a healer of the healing god must be a powerful healer indeed. Peace to you, Nis'Amain," he says, taking her hand ...

Incidentally, Nis, you are the first one to actually seek hand contact with him. His claws indeed look fantastically thick, though he is not clumsy with them. What gets you is the thickness of his hands. They possess a grace that belies a furious strength, and the skin itself seems to be particularly tough and hardy.

... "the plumage of the bird of paradise from the southern parts of my lands is considered by many to be the loveliest in the world; but such plumage is muted and dull compared to your own gifts." At that he kisses her hand. "We men are blessed to travel with beauty, to remind us that not all in nature and civilization is ugly and violent. That even gentility has its proper place of accord and respect."

"It so happens," he continues, looking to the party, "that I, too, have some gifts of healing upon which I may call to aid others, but particularly myself. However, my divine gifts seem best used as my philosophy is laid bare: change. All of nature seeks change, even if that change is a predictable cycle. So, too, do I best use those magics which change the nature of things while within certain reasonable bounds."

Looking back at Nis'Amain he says, "We shall talk more of our gifts, that we may better complement each other in our place together should our paths continue 'ere long. As for battle, yes, I have seen some battle. But most of my trials have been in personal quests that have taken me far from home to this area as if by omen after omen.

"You see, I am not unlike what you call a 'druid' in this land, though with far greater skill at arms. And as the son of the mai of my tribe, I have been transformed to greater facilitate the protection of this world from the ravages of the next - which is a vast difference between your druids, which seek to focus only on the strength of the land itself - and our witch-warriors, which focus on using the strength of the land to guard against undue inflluence from the various worlds Beyond. This, especially has been the task of my tribe since the beginning"

"And so it is that through many ventures I am brought here, to investigate whether this fantastic phenomenon is a coalescing of the world's strength at this point, or if it is an evil influence that will poison the land."

knewsom
2008-12-11, 01:32 PM
Still chuckling, the thick warrior clapped the Orc bard on the back.

"Oh come now Grug, it was only a joke. ...though I don't know what's funnier, the notion of Grug and I being married, or the notion of Nis and I being married! Haha!"

Ascension
2008-12-11, 02:11 PM
"I suppose it is amusing in a way. It's hard to imagine any woman putting up with you long enough to wed you," Grug replies. His voice is gruff, but he's grinning.

lostsole31
2008-12-11, 02:20 PM
Kioi smiles broadly, showing surprisingly white teeth that have only the slightest hint of ever-so-slightly longer canines ... not long enough to be used as a weapon, or even look non-human, but just enough to be noticeable.

"Come, my new friends. If we travel together to learn of this mountian, let us share water and bind our hearts to our comradeship." At that, he takes out his water skin, which is covered in a curious black-and-white striped pattern, and sips from it. When he is done, he hands it to Remus.

Terraspaz
2008-12-12, 01:54 AM
The six of you share a hearty laugh discussing the possibilities of whom is wed to whom, what the resulting children would look like, and what the names of said children might be. The notion of a Fair-Haired savannah tribal warrior occurs to some of you, but for reasons of shock, are quickly forgotten. Welcoming Kioi into the group, the six of you journey onwards toward the mountain, now only a few hours away.

The weather betrays gray skies, indicitive of rain, an uncommon yet welcome experience in this region of the world. Drifting along the now increasing winds, a single bird circles overhead, soaring high in the air, likely in search of food. The As the sun begins to descend, its light - already dimmed by the clouds, begins to fade from the landscape. As the surroundings darken, you begin to see the glow of the mountain manifest ahead of you. As bright as ever, the bright glow bears such presence that it seems to blot out all other landmarks you perceive, save one.

Cresting the next hill from you, you see another horse-mounted figure. With a backpack loaded to the brim with books and parchments, you see a familiar figure trotting towards the mountain, fully intent on the glow ahead. It is abudantly clear he does not notice you.

Except for Kioi, you all recognize this figure as Johnathon

Shhhh!
2008-12-12, 02:02 AM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan continues to guide his horse in a plodding manner, Stopping once to withdraw a scroll and glance at it, he forges onward, muttering to himself
Contemptible "Atlas" doesn't even show this blasted mountain!
Letting out a near silent sigh, he continues on.

Ascension
2008-12-12, 05:19 AM
Grug laughs heartily.

"What did I tell you? You learn more from people than books. What an 'atlas' doesn't tell you, a man will. So. Are you desperate enough to ask for directions?"

lostsole31
2008-12-13, 04:59 PM
"Who is this man, who sits poorly on a horse with a the world poorly figured in his hands, Grug?"

Ascension
2008-12-14, 03:07 AM
"Jonathan... something or another. I thought he stayed back at the temple with his books! But maybe he's learned to look beyond the library after all..."

lostsole31
2008-12-14, 07:46 AM
"Jonathon, is it? I am Kioi of the Tsimihetiy tribe. Peace to you, my friend ... for if a friend of these folk here as newly I am, then so are you to me."
[Shhhh!: Check out previous posts for all the fluff on descriptions.]

"What is it that you do?"

Shhhh!
2008-12-14, 04:16 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan, His attention suddenly drawn to the stranger in the midst of the group, eyes him carefully, taking note of his equipment first and foremost.
Religion, For the goddess, and a separate roll to gather that druids vow not to wear metal
Goddess
Druid info[Roll]1D20+15
And because I'm me, I"ll assume I've passed them
A Lyrian Knight? And seemingly a druid, or something similar...Perhaps not, Balance seekers seem unlikely to worship a goddess of fate. I am Jonathan Crowley. I am a Seeker of Knowledge, and a Sharer of the same, and though I am most certainly Not a friend of any of these buffoons, I am, for now, their ally, and, seemingly by extension, yours.
He now dismounts from his horse, walking to it's rear right leg, and bending over to remove a small anklet. Upon it's removal, the horse begins trotting away. Turning to address his companions, he announces
I have narrowed the possibilities regarding our mysterious tome by quite a bit...There are only three books known to give of negative energy, The Book of Withering, The Book of True Power, and The Book of Anguish and Suffering. The first draws life from near anything the user wishes, the second draws power from the readers soul, corrupting them, and providing them with a far greater control over spells of the Evoker's school. The third...The third would help no-one, I doubt that it was the target. And now, would one of you kindly explain the glowing of this mountain?
He gestures here to the imposing heights that, unbeknown to him, you are traveling towards.
I'm sure you've picked it up, but Jonathan is quite wordy. These things happen

Ascension
2008-12-14, 05:20 PM
Wordy and a jerk. :smalltongue:

I recommend you don't have Kioi try detecting evil around our party, lostsole.

Or, heck, go ahead and do it. I'm CN, so I'm sort of safe, and it might be fun to watch you Smite Jonathan. :smallwink:

"It's a local phenomenon. Mountain grants special powers to the village youths in a coming of age ceremony, then glows afterward. Problem is, the last time a kid went out there, he never came back, the mountain glowed brighter than it usually does, and monsters have foiled any attempts to investigate further. I suspect there's a small chance the temple killers might be involved. Might be part of some sort of attempt to claim the mountain's magical power for themselves. Or might be completely unrelated. But I feel we should at least investigate."

And I'm slightly wordy because I'm a bard. It's part of the job description.

Shhhh!
2008-12-14, 06:00 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan, lost in thought, gazes at the mountain, only to begin speaking in a roundabout, distracted manner, almost as if he's speaking to himself
Really?...What kind of powers? What kind of monsters? And this is the important part...What is the mountain's mythology? I've never once come across an unnatural phenomena that wasn't distorted by local flavour...never. Why do they come here?
His voice here gains confidence, and volume, directed primarily at the orc.
Tell me then, have you learned anything at all regarding the mountain itself? Or simply that it recently began devouring it's supplicants? You said monsters had barred investigation...What kind? Surely you at least have a description? Oh...One more thing...Did the mountain glow after the children finished their ceremony? Or did the children finish their ceremony as the mountain glowed? If this is related to, say, the phases of the moon, or some planetary alignment...These monsters may well be far more dangerous than you seem to have assumed, because we could very well now be standing in it's hunting grounds...as night falls.
So...Anyone noticed, IC, the bird? It seems rather unlikely that there is a constant supply of individual birds floating the currents following us

Ascension
2008-12-14, 09:39 PM
"As I said, the trip up the mountain is their traditional rite of passage from boyhood to manhood. Usually the changes are minor. But sometimes they are granted very powerful gifts... powers like unto those of a trained wizard. This doesn't entirely surprise me... there are magics in the blood as well as in the book... but what is surprising is the speed with which they develop these abilities... over the course of a single night. It took me months even to learn to command this."

Grug snaps his fingers and a flame dances at the tip of his thumb for a moment.

Prestidigitation.

"The mountain begins glowing in welcome as the child travels toward it. The rhythms of the mountain seem to be its own, not based on the moon or other forces, though I cannot be certain from what description I was given. As for the beasts, they're four-legged, fur-covered things with powerful teeth and claws. There were two varieties, a larger brown-furred type alongside smaller black-furred creatures. There were at least six of them. I suspect lycanthropy may be at fault, or perhaps the boy who was lost to the mountain gained the ability to summon those beasts from some world beyond, but Ben Columb was quite certain that the creatures could not be directly linked to his boy..."

knewsom
2008-12-14, 10:58 PM
"I'm certain the children are dead. In my tribe, you came back a man, or not at all. We're here to investigate, and... who knows, maybe we'll end up with a few extra powers as well."

As he said this, his eyes burned ever so slightly, as though seeing once more in his mind's eye something he had seen years and years ago.

lostsole31
2008-12-15, 01:10 AM
[QUOTE=Shhhh!;5475961]Kioi
Religion, For the goddess, and a separate roll to gather that druids vow not to wear metal
Goddess[roll0]
Druid info[roll0]
And because I'm me, I"ll assume I've passed them

First, Lyris is an "uncommon goddess", usually worshipped by warriors of various creeds and religions. She is both a goddess of fate and of victory. Fate in so much that some things are destined to be, and that there is a cycle (read: balance) to all things (a la, Wheel of Fortune). However, the sufficiently bold can make their own fate through victory, effectively making their own destinies and rewriting old ones.

While not necessarily a goddess promoting druidic tenets, the ones above seem to fit a piece of lore that you have heard about a distant tribe in farwaway lands. This tribe was chartered to fight those threats from "Beyond" (which was their term from those outsider threats originating in the Great Wheel) which seek to upset the natural order on the Prime Material Plane.

You see that he wears no metal, you think you see a spell component pouch, and yes, this modified symbol of Lyris seems to place Kioi as a member of this distant branch of protectors of the Prime. They are reputed to be more knowledgeable about things beyond our world, but less combat-worthy or resistant to those that originate in nature (such as the fey).

"Peace be with you, Jonathon Crowley," says Kioi. "And there is no shame in noting an alliance where friendship does not exist."

"Grug," whispers Kioi, "What is this tome he's speaking about?"

Ascension
2008-12-15, 01:15 AM
Grug replies in a similarly low voice.

"There was... a book of evil... in the Temple of Pelor. We have reason to believe that the murderers we seek stole it. It constantly radiates negative energy... quite a nasty little volume..."

lostsole31
2008-12-15, 09:37 AM
"Perhaps, then, you should tell me about these 'murderers', the problems at the Temple of Pelor, this tome, why you have been brought to this mountain, and how everything interconnects."

Ascension
2008-12-15, 11:12 AM
Grug explains the recent events in the form of an improvised poem, accidentally inventing freestyle rap in the process. The whole thing is quite epic... it's too bad you don't actually get to see it OOC.

lostsole31
2008-12-15, 04:32 PM
"You are a credit to your race and your tribe, Grug. That was very well done."

Really big Kioi blurb coming, so I will put it in a spoiler to keep it from being too large a visible post ...

"I admit," Kioi continues, addressing the group, "that the majority of these events - urban murderers, temple priests, and the like -- exist outside of my expertise. Still, I am not unacquainted with some of the volumes you have mentioned. There are several things you have mentioned which now worry me:
1. First. There are those that would seek to go to great lengths of depravity to steal a book that has definitive entropic effects.
2. Second, they have such a book, though its exact contents beyond the basics are unknown. Is it for a ritual, or merely to provide knowledge for some other enhancement?
3. Third, an inside source is either directly involved or duped. The book was hidden away in a secret room, and that information likely would only have been known by senior priests. That, and it makes sense that the vault is protected from at least basic scrying to protect these dangerous matters from discovery.
4. Their trail brings you - those that would stop them - to or through a site which itself is portentious - the Burning Mountain."

"I had troubles with all of your beautiful but complicated imagery, Grug, deciphering particulars. Where is the trail of murderers, and how do you know where that trail is; who among you is a tracker? As ominous as the problems concerning this glowing mountain are, are you sure they are directly related? Were I any normal warden of nature, I would seek to divine the mystery of the Burning Mountain right away. But, if there is any chance that these mysteries diverge, then my charter, my vows, my vocation, and my intuition must cause me to pursue what is the greater threat: a band of murderers seeking power to tap the abilities of pure entropy from a magical book."

"I now see my position in your group, Remus," Kioi turns to the hirsute barbarian. "From the description of all I have been told, I have no skills to even remotely mimic Will's abilities. Nis has far greater divine power and healing ability at her control. My studies of the natural world and the worlds beyond probably pale in comparison to those of a man who conjures feral beasts of the plane of tyranny." At this last, Kioi's eyes sharpen as he looks at Jonathon. "Even you, Grug, appear to be terrifically stronger, and your war chanting - much like the war chanters of my own tribe - is invaluable."

"I can fight, as is obvious, but I can also track and have far more applicable knowledge of the wild then theoretical. That's where I will need you, Will. You probably can find tracks better than I, but once I have a trail it will be difficult to shake me from it."

"I am a friend to the beasts of land and sky, so if we face animals ... even animals that have been enhanced, as well as magical beasts ... I have become very good at allowing the feral nature of my transformed spirit find rappport with such to calm them. So I do not fear creatures of this type and can keep us from unnecessary battle - especially from simple, unadorned bears. However, I must warn that to fall upon such creatures with no thought of gain for food or tools, or just to sate a bloodlust if you are not legitimately defending yourself from them, I shall render no aid.

"Lastly, Ihsan and I are very intuitive in being able to fight together. Remus - and Grug, too - in a battle will surely want the honor of combat against an opponent's champion. I will focus my efforts controlling the outskirts of the battlefield by racing in and out and attacking the flanks as I can outmaneuver just about any land-bound opponent with Ihsan."

RebelRogue
2008-12-15, 06:51 PM
Will blushes slightly at Kioi's compliments. I'm afraid I might disappoint when it comes to the powers you attribute to me. I do have this... gift, but I don't use it all that often... But I'll be glad to look for tracks, even though I'm a bit out of my element, knowing little about animals or making my way in the wilderness. With this is mind, Will keeps an eye out for unusual features or prints left in the ground.

Search check: [roll0]

Ascension
2008-12-15, 07:56 PM
"The trail we follow is not a physical one," Grug explains, "We found a peculiar sort of coin on one of the murderers, and I know it could only have come from a particular region in the north. We travel there now, in hopes that the temple's attackers are headquartered in that region."

Terraspaz
2008-12-15, 10:38 PM
Will

Will keeps an eye out for unusual features or prints left in the ground.

With the hard packed rocks of the mountain, it's difficult to follow any sort of track. You don't pick up any tracks, other than those of your party.

Shhhh!
2008-12-15, 10:47 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan listens intently to the Outsider's speech, nodding at key moments, before seeming to lose concentration.
After a few long seconds, he begins to speak.
I think it may now be irrelevant, Chasing the intruders of the temple. They are nearer and nearer [I]their[I] homeland, presumably, and we must pick and wind our way through unknown territories. The trail has already, nearly, gone cold. I say we investigate this mountain. Even if our murderers have nothing to do with it, even if it helps us in no direct way...The townspeople you spoke of, they would be in our debt. Perhaps, with their assistance, we could locate the origin of these
He holds up the sole golden coin of foreign make he carries.
And start again from there. And, perhaps to quell any disquiet with my suggestion...This mountain grants arcane power to those who survive it, even if only rarely. Such power should always be grasped for, even if only to keep it out of the hands of the foe. Besides, it seems to much a coincidence. I say we investigate the mountain first, and these killers second.
His mouth shuts only momentarily, before his eyes widen in shock.
Insider...Tyrio! How much did we know of him? Why did he, and he alone survive the onslaught!? Ah, it's likely too late, although perhaps we could find him again later.

lostsole31
2008-12-15, 11:39 PM
Listening to Will and Jonathon, Kioi comments, "Very well, with no trail on the murderers, we should attend to that mystery which confronts us, though always keeping that quest in mind as well. And I do not seek arcane power, Mr. Crowley, but peace to the land. But, yes, I agree that to know its mystery is to have an advantage those who might be our opponents do not have. Remus, what is your bidding?"

knewsom
2008-12-16, 01:22 AM
The man who himself seemed mountainous shrugged.

"I am going to the mountain. What the rest of you do... Is up to you. Not me. If Tyrio proves a traitor, then he will die along with the rest."

Ascension
2008-12-16, 10:23 AM
Grug nods.

"I go with you."

lostsole31
2008-12-16, 11:20 AM
Kioi takes his place to the side of the procession, more to the rear ... so as not to "offend" anyone who is not used to travelling with horses.

[Speaking of which, are Jonathon and I the only mounted persons? It sounds like we are.]

Once we travel, this will be his "at rest" point, but he doesn't really have a fixed spot on the team. If he isn't the best with Spot/ Listen (perhaps seconded by Will), he at least has the maneuverability, and will range around and check ahead.

[So, really, it's DM's caveat as to where he is should an encounter occur, but usually he will be a forward vanguard.]

Terraspaz
2008-12-16, 11:40 AM
The terrain becomes much steeper and taxing to ascend as you grow nearer and nearer the peak of Mt. Blaze. The sun, now quite low in the sky, just barely touches the horizon, now much farther away from your continued climb. Even as you ascend, you find it remarkable that plants are still able to grow in this rock - even moreso, that it is able to grow with such prosperity. You continue to pass patches of vegetables that flourish with life.

About 100 feet ahead, you notice a cavity in the side of the mountain, roughly 10 feet high and ten feet wide. As you approach, a hawk-like "TSSSEEEEEEERRRRRR" resounds through the air. Within moments, a bounty of creatures come tearing out of the hole, and fix their attention on you. As the horde begins to barrel towards you, you begin to pick out individual shapes. Towards the front, you notice 8 fur covered creatures, with long noses, and sharp, powerful claws. Half of these are brown, while the other half are black. Behind them, 8 lizards dash close behind.

The terrifying sight of Nature's Fury charging down the mountain causes Lily to recoil in shock, twisting her ankle between two rocks embedded in the ground. Screaming in pain, she falls to the ground, and rolls down the mountain about fifty feet, before slamming into a boulder. While the injury does not appear life threatening, the jolts of pain are far too intense to concentrate on her arcane workings.

Initiatives:
John Crowley
Nis'Amain [roll1]
Will Pickman [roll2]
Grug [roll3]
Remus [roll4]
Kioi and Ishan [roll]1d20+3 (Came out to a 12. Goofed up the code)

Spot Checks:
John Crowley [roll5]
Nis'Amain [roll6]
Will Pickman [roll7]
Grug [roll8]
Remus [roll9]
Kioi and Ishan [roll10]

Also, Kioi is the only mounted person. Johnathon released his horse as soon as he arrived.

As a reminder, the map is located here (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pY6Vh261I5eUV9Pv1cjsHTg&hl=en). There's a box towards the bottom where you guys are starting. If you would kindly arrange yourselves as you normally march, (since I have no idea, save Kioi,) I'll place the baddies, and we'll get this show on the road!

Mark yourselves with the first letter of your Character name.

knewsom
2008-12-16, 12:10 PM
The massive warrior snarled, drawing his greatsword as he charged to meet their attackers head on!

Raging, charge attack on one of the furry monsters.

power attack 5 [roll0] if crit [roll1] damage [roll2]

Shhhh!
2008-12-16, 05:31 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan sighs quietly, taking a defensive stance, and readying a spell.
At least it was only bears.
Enchantment-Compulsion(Mind affecting) Hesitate-
1 immediate action to cast, close range, lasts 1 round/lvl, will negates...On a failed save, subject may take only move action on it's turn, however, this applies no bonus to attackers seeking to harm it. If I attack it, the spell ends. At the beginning of it's turn, as a swift action, it may attempt a new saving throw, on a success, it may act normally that turn. May be cast on opponent's turns, but must be cast at the beginning to have any effect. So, for me, that's DC19 will save to end, or avoid.
I'll ready Hesitate, Casting whenever a creature enters range(40Ft).
And, a combined Spot/Knowledge for the lizards.
Spot:[roll0]
Knowledge:[roll1] Int mod is 5, And I assume it's Nature, but magical beasts are Arcana.

RebelRogue
2008-12-16, 06:57 PM
Will Pickman

Worried about the coming charge, Will makes a subtle gesture with his left hand while he utters a few magical words. He proceeds to draw his sling.

Initiative order is messed up anyway, so I'll just post intentions like everybody else. Will casts Shield on himself, as anyone with the appropriate Spellcraft check will know.

Terraspaz
2009-01-01, 09:30 PM
Nis

Seeing the onslaught of fur and claws mounting ahead, Nis beckons for the strength of Pelor to bolster her newfound friend. Placing a warming hand on his cool armor, channeling divine energy into his muscles, now aglow with a faint white light.

Bull's Strength on Remus

Johnathon readies himself against the stampede of creatures, as Will taps into his precious arcane energies, and summons a shimmering blue disc to hover just in front of him, ready to protect it's summoner from harm.

Meanwhile, Remus raises his sword high above his head, racing toward the pack of beasts. His powerful legs aren't enough to ignore the steep terrain he tries to ascend, and isn't able to fully close the distance.

Kioi, you're up

Nis
John
??????
Will
Remus
Kioi <------------------
Brown Bears
Lizards
Grug
Black Bears

Reminder, map is located at http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pY6Vh261I5eUV9Pv1cjsHTg&hl=en

lostsole31
2009-01-02, 01:39 AM
Kioi sees the number and inappropriate mixture of animals, and realizes that they must somehow be compelled to work together. He is saddened that these animals must be twisted to some fell purpose, but realizes he has no chance of calming them, especially with Remus ambling up the hill with greatsword raised.

Kioi realizes that charging up the hill, like Remus is trying to do, is foolhardy since there is too much effort to gain purchase upwards on the path (i.e., difficult terrain). He casts barkskin on Ihsan, and readies his lance as he gallops (double moves on difficult terrain) upwards on the path to give the others time to either decide to flee (which is no less honorable) and cover their escape, or for them to ready what defense they might mount.

Terraspaz
2009-01-04, 02:28 AM
Remus
The brown mounds of fur and claws let out a ferocious roar, and move down the slope towards Remus. Spreading to either side of the warrior, in order to strike at a full front of the warrior. Overwhelmed by the force of these creatures, Remus' eyes alight with fire as the bears each land a blow on him.

The bear to his right, landing a claw deep into Remus' arm, tries to wrestle him to the ground, but the animal is no match for the raw power within Remus.

Remus is hit by both bears, for 9 and 13 damage. The bear failed his grapple attempt.

Kioi
Meanwhile, another pair of bears hustle towards you. As the bears leap at you and Ishan, you connect with the shoulder of the bear lunging towards you. Your blow knocks the bear off course, and his claw slashes the empty air beside your head. Your steady horse merely stares down his opponent, and brushes the other bear's pathetic attack aside.

The attacks miss both you and Ishan, and your Attack of Opportunity does 12 damage to Br 6

You notice the row of lizards behind the remaining bears fully alert and ready, though appear too timid to rush at you. They hold where they are, in front of the cave's entrance.

The Shocker Lizards delay.

Initiative
Nis
John
??????
Will
Remus
Kioi
Brown Bears
Lizards
Grug <--------- Grug, you're up!
Black Bears

lostsole31
2009-01-04, 05:22 AM
"Remus, I do not doubt your bravery or your strength, but let me see your tactics and prowess ... fight your way to me step-by-step, and I will do so to you, so that neither of us is flanked. You will have no trouble cleaving through their haunches so fight defensively ... you cannot long last between both grizzlies as you are."

lostsole31
2009-01-04, 05:23 AM
"Remus, I do not doubt your bravery or your strength, but let me see your tactics and prowess ... fight your way to me step-by-step, and I will do so to you, so that neither of us is flanked. You will have no trouble cleaving through their haunches so fight defensively ... you cannot long last between both grizzlies as you are."

Ascension
2009-01-05, 03:17 PM
"Don't worry about him," Grug calls, "I'll cover his back!"

Grug mutters a few words of swiftness and then bounds up the mountain, covering a ridiculous amount of ground. He ends up standing beside Remus.

((Casting Expeditious Retreat. Grug has a 70ft movement speed for the next four minutes.))

lostsole31
2009-01-06, 01:21 AM
Ihsan snorts disdainfully. "Don't fret, my friend," says Kioi into Ishan's ear with a smile, but loud enough for Grug to hear. "You'd still beat him in a flat run." :smallsmile:

"Crowley! What manner of lizards are those, up there. Do you know? I don't recognize them."

Terraspaz
2009-01-06, 11:52 AM
The smaller bears hurtle down the hill towards you, letting out a loud, though notably weaker roar than their larger cousins. The two on the right dart by a brown bear, and split their attacks against Grug and Remus. While one bear continues to guard the center of the mountain, another one dashes towards Remus, nearly surrounding him with fur and claws.

Remus
Both bears bring their claws down upon you, though the one directly in front seems confused where you truly are, and only swipes at the air. The other one, however, catches your side, gouging in a deep wound.

Hit for 8 damage. The other one would've hit, but got "blurred"

Grug
The bear tries catching your exposed side, but your keen awareness completely dodges the blow.
The bear misses

Nis
Seeing your companions ahead, with the wall of sheer primal force they battle against, you rush ahead to aid them. However, the incline of the hill and the weight of your armor quickly drain your strength as you labor up the hill, gaining little ground.
You run ahead. You're flat-footed

Initiative!
Nis
John <---------- John, you're up.
??????
Will
Remus
Kioi
Brown Bears
Lizards
Grug
Black Bears

Shhhh!
2009-01-06, 02:19 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan sighs quietly, realizing that he should do something, though he lacks certain qualifications regarding combat with such creatures. He drops his hand, and strides forwards slightly, yelling out to his comrades
Stay away from the lizards!
And, as an afterthought,
Fall back to me should you need healing.

lostsole31
2009-01-06, 02:52 PM
"Will, those lizards bother me as to their firm purpose and John's warning. Trust in those of us who are warriors, and snipe those lizards at range!" Kioi shouts.

knewsom
2009-01-06, 03:23 PM
A pleased grow emanates from Remus' throat as Grug appears beside him.

Bleeding and wounded, you would never see a hint of pain on the massive warrior's face - if anything, it fueled his rage further, as he raised his greatsword and attacked the huge bears savagely!

assuming Will shall snipe at the lizards, Remus will attack one of the bears. Still using Combat Expertise (5), AC still 20.

[roll0] damage [roll1]

[roll2] damage [roll3]

edit: apologies - I miscalculated that. subtract 5 from each of those attack rolls for combat expertise please.

RebelRogue
2009-01-06, 03:45 PM
Will Pickman

Well, it's not going to be easy from this distance with all the bears in the way, but I'll do my best!. With these words, Will moves forward, while trying to sling a stone over the fray, aiming for a lizard.

I try to hit the lizard L9. The distance is 75', so that's a -2, with no possibility of Sneak Attack. Cover is a further -4 (unless you rule the elevation negates is?). Attack roll [roll0], damage [roll1]

lostsole31
2009-01-06, 08:36 PM
Kioi sidles Ihsan and himself over to his right (map-wise) 5' to stop Grizzly #5 from enjoying a full-attack with Grizzly #6 blocking it. He guides Ihsan to attack Bear #6 first, and both he and Ihsan will get the benefits of the the Bonded feat (each get +1 to hit and damage when attacking the same target in the round) ...

Hoof #1: roll1d20+8; damage = [roll0]
Hoof #1: roll1d20+8; damage =
Bite: [roll]roll1d20+6; damage = [roll2]

Ihsan spent in fury, and Kioi likely having monopolize upon it, Kioi now focuses his own efforts on defensive fighting [Combat Expertise @ 3] and trying to bring down the same opponent (Grizzly #6); if it so happens that Grizzly #6 has fallen - which is extremely unlikely - then he instead attacks Grizzly #7. If this switch of opponents occurs, the +1 attack/damage bonus of his Bonded feat does not apply against this new opponent ...

Lance: [roll3]; damage = [roll4]

Post-Action Info ...
Mounted Combat to negate the first attack that would have hit Ihsan; Ride = [roll5]

Also, Ihsan's AC = 23 (thanks to barkskin).
Kioi's AC = 29 (thanks to 3 points of Combat Expertise).

If Grizzly #6 has not been killed, and bears are tough so that is highly likely, then Kioi will not use his AOO during this round. He is saving it until Ihsan attacks again next round. That way, Kioi will get to use the Double Team feat against that opponent; Ihsan successfully striking an opponent means that Kioi enjoys an AOO against that opponent.

lostsole31
2009-01-06, 08:38 PM
Damn, botched those attack rolls for Ihsan. Here they are again ...
Hoof #1: [roll0]
Hoof #2: [roll1]
Bite: [roll2]

Synopsis (assuming standard AC for a bear): Kioi moves over to the right, directing Ihsan to attack. Ihsan's first hoof is blocked by the grizzly's paw, but the second hoof practically sandwiches the blocking paw between the hooves as the bear growls in pain. Ihsan, heartened by Kioi, bites through the fat of the forearm of the bear's limb.

Kioi isn't successful on the attack, and wouldn't have been anyway, rather using his lance as a hold-off on the bear to keep it from advancing and to hold its position so as not to allow his friend over to the left from advancing across. All the while, Kioi expertly maneuvers Ihsan defensively though the slope of the mountain gives him some trouble.

Terraspaz
2009-01-07, 09:50 PM
Will

With full extension, Will lobs a stone at a sickly, weak looking lizard toward the end. However, the crowd of battle blocks his view, and his blow sails over the creature's heads.

Remus

The injured warrior turns, and buries his blade deep into the flesh of the bear on the right. The beast lets out a terrifying roar, as hate blazes in the creature's eyes, fixed on Remus.

Kioi

You deftly position your horse away from the awaiting danger of one of the bears, and guide Ishan to strike at the other. Your trusted companion lands two strong blows against the shoulder of the monster next to you, but the jolting of battle causes your lance strike to impale nothing but air.

The bears close in around the gathered warriors, slashing with pure primal fury left and right. Blood matted fur and claws rake against your armors, sending sharp, painful scratching sounds through the air.

Grug
The bear claws you twice, for a total of 26 damage. He also tries to wrestle you to the ground, but your pure strength deflects the beast's attempts to drive you to the ground

Remus
Another bear gouges your arm, for 12 damage. Inspired from watching Grug shrug off the bear's wrestling arms, you follow suit and pull away from the creature.

Kioi
Both bears find nothing but the disappointing clang of metal, as they seek to tear into you and Ishan. You may make an AoO on B5, if you wish.

Initiative
Nis
John
??????
Will
Remus
Kioi
Brown Bears
Grug <----------------- You're up!
Lizards
Black Bears

Ascension
2009-01-09, 03:06 PM
The pain drives all complex thought from Grug's mind, and he flies into a blind rage. He lashes out at his furred attacker with all his strength.

Raging, Power Attacking at -4.
ATT: [roll0]
DAM: [roll1]

Terraspaz
2009-01-11, 10:48 PM
Grug Seething with fury, you turn and crush your assailant apart in one blow, setting entrails and hairy blood splattering to the ground. Pausing for only the briefest moment, the other black bears roar, then resume their attacks. Both you and Remus manage to dodge out of the way of one claw, but are struck by the second.

Grug: Hit with a 23. You take 7 damage.
Remus: Hit with a 21. You also take 7 damage.

The lizards snarl and hiss, still holding in front of the cave's entrance, surrounding the lone black bear in their midst.

Nis
"Hold on! I'm coming!" Nis utters a soft prayer as she hustles up the hill toward the ensuing carnage. Gasping for breath, she places a hand on the back of the orc, bathing him in healing light.

Grug, you gain 24 hp.

"Remus, you look awful! Hold together, I'm trying to reach you..." Nis' pleas are nearly drowned out by the sounds of battle surrounding you.

Initiative
Nis
John <----------------- You're up!
??????
Will
Remus
Kioi
Brown Bears
Grug
Lizards
Black Bears

Shhhh!
2009-01-12, 12:54 AM
Jonathan Crowley
What do I do against Bears? Talk to them? They've already attacked, they wouldn't listen. Hah! The best I can do now is heal that dumb brute, and there is no way I'm launching myself into that melee! Best to wait, best to wait.
Jonathan, realizing that he had no option now but to advance, and apply his Art, takes a brisk stride forward, stopping only to catch his breath. Completely out of his element, Jonathan begins reciting, near silently, one of the poems drilled into his then young mind, as a teaching aid for :smallconfused:draconic:smallconfused:.
Nuper erat Medicus, Nunc est vespillo Dialus! Quod vespillo facit, fecerat et medicus!
double move forward.
I love latin. Spent four years learning it, and have yet to find a valuable use. I stuck it as draconic, for ease, if nothing else, but would be happy to change it to something else.

lostsole31
2009-01-12, 01:56 PM
"Pickman, trust in me and the others," calls Kioi to the halfling, "and in that find trust in your own skills. Be like the leopard, unseen before attacking with deadly precision.

"Advance up our right flank to get closer to them, using the chaos of battle to mask yourself from the lizards. Take a few extra seconds to make the shot count by attacking from hiding rather than feel you have to shoot as fast as you can string your bow in the open. Otherwise the tree and the earth made to make your arrows have been rent from the earth in vain!"

RebelRogue
2009-01-18, 07:33 PM
Will

Heeding Kioi's advice, Will swallows his fear of the large, feral bears and advances, using the animals as cover to hide himself from the lizards. If the beasts should decide to attack me, my magic will save me... I hope...

Taking two move actions at half speed to avoid penalties for movement:
Hide: [roll0], Move Silently: [roll1].

Terraspaz
2009-01-18, 08:12 PM
Crouching low to the ground, nearly at a crawl, Will slinks up to the bear, creeping up as its ferocious strikes continue to come down against Kioi.

The bear seems to pay you no attention.

Remus, you're up

knewsom
2009-01-18, 09:32 PM
The massive warrior's breath came in jagged rasps - blood ran in rivers down his arms, face, and legs, but he still stood, and wielded his Great Sword with as much skill and power as ever, attacking two bears with renewed ferocity, first at one and then the other!

combat expertise 5, AC 20, HP 37 out of 67.

attack 1[roll0] damage [roll1]

attack 2[roll2] damage [roll3]

lostsole31
2009-01-19, 02:38 AM
Kioi sees the blood running down, over, and past joints and plates in Remus' armor. He wasn't going to insult Nis'Amain by telling her what she needed to do for he could see the concern in her eyes. "If that bear gets ahold of Remus, he's done for," Kioi thinks quietly, knowing that Remus knew his own situation better than the warrior-prince from the savannahs.

Like the beast that was infused to his soul from his own initiation, Kioi begins to focus more readily on his prey. He guides Ihsan to attack their chosen target, and to follow on to the other if it should fall.

Ihsan still fighting defensively, per Kioi's direction (AC 25).
Ihsan to target Bear #6.
If Ihsan hits Bear #6, Kioi immediately gets an AOO it as well.
- If Bear #6 is attacked and falls because of Ihsan's first attack, the AOO can be held until (if) Ishan successfully attacks Bear #5.
If Bear #6 falls, Ihsan will conduct remaining attacks against Bear #5.
If Bear #6 falls, then follow-on attack/damage rolls listed against Bear #5 are reduced by 1 as Bonded feat does not apply since Kioi did not attack that bear in the last round.
***Attacks: Hoof #1 -- Attack [roll0], damage [roll1]
Hoof #1 -- Attack [roll2], damage [roll3]
Bite -- Attack [roll4], damage [roll5]

Kioi's AOO, if invoked by Ihsan (Combat Expertise 3): Attack [roll6], damage [roll7]

lostsole31
2009-01-19, 03:16 AM
Kioi recognizes (Ihsan likely only got one hit, didn't kill Bear #6, and Kioi misses on his attack) that while the bears are in their dominated fury, an instinct within them is now making them a little more wary fighting the horse-and-rider team.

"I've got to trust in my fellows to do what they do best while I take care of these other two. But I dare not allow myself to fight foolishly to be grabbed and mauled, either," Kioi thinks to himself. Still, seeing that the group can get easily overrun if not careful and heavy wounds have already been suffered, he shifts to become only a little less defensive than before.

Change Combat Expertise to 2, AC 28...
Attack w/ Lance, High Ground, Bonded, CE-3: [roll0], damage [roll1]

Kioi's smile, the only thing besides his chin seen from under the tiger mask, forms wanly from a frown. "]"That's much more like it! Let's hope I don't pay for it."[/COLOR] Kioi then backs his horse up to form a fighting circle with Remus and Nis.

If Bear #6 goes down with this hit, then Kioi will free to use an AOO wherever a grizzly (not a black bear) that he threatens provokes one. DM can roll, attack +9, damage 1d8+5.

Terraspaz
2009-01-19, 03:56 AM
Remus
Raising your blade high into the air, you bring a crushing blow upon the forearm of the bear to your right, you bring your blade through the other side, withdrawing a sleek red stain running down your blade, as the bear falls. Your joy and elation are interuppted, as the second blow completely misses the bear on the other side.

Kioi
You and Ihsan each connect with a single, yet solid blow on the steadily advancing beast. It howls in pain, and starts forward, nearly falling to the ground. However, its determined gaze refocuses on the fight, and locks eyes with you with a single purpose in mind... your own death. The bear lashes out with its claws, but your still reserved attacks turn away any opening the desperate creature may have found. Turning to react, you catch the other brown bear advancing, but the slope of the hill throws off the bear's balance however slightly, and you easily dodge the swipes.

Remus
While your sheer power has made your strength mighty indeed, your wild blows have left you vulnerable, as the bear claws you deep in the side.

You take 12 damage

You endure the pain, and thrash to the side, tearing the bear's mighty grip loose, as it tries to drag you to the ground.

The bear failed to out-grapple you.

Initiative

Nis
John
??????
Will
Remus
Kioi
Brown Bears
Lizards
Black Bears

Ascension
2009-01-19, 05:58 PM
Grug lashes out at Bear #3 (assuming the map is fully updated. If #3 is dead, then he'll strike at 4 or 7.).

"Axe, meet bear. Bear, meet axe."

Att: [roll0]
Dam: [roll1]

Terraspaz
2009-01-20, 01:38 AM
Grug
With snarling fury, you reduce the tiny bear to a chunks of blood and fur. The warm life of the bear flows down your arms, as you turn back to face the remaining beasts. Truly, this is proof of our inheritance of the culture and tradition of your tribe... if only they were here to see what raw power you can wield.

The two remaining small bears in the fray lash out, enraged at the sight of their dead companion.

Grug, Remus
You each are grazed by a claw. Take 5 damage.

Meanwhile, the single bear still stands in front of the cave, snarling furiously, surrounded by the angered clicking of the numerous lizards. They stand fast on the mountain's slope, looking down upon you with eyes fixed on the carnage.

Initiative
Nis<----------------- You're up!
John
??????
Will
Remus
Kioi
Brown Bears
Grug
Lizards
Black Bears

AetherFox
2009-01-20, 07:41 PM
"Remus, don't worry! I'm right behind you!"

Nis steps to Remus' side and places her palm on his bloody shoulder.
[roll0] cure moderate wounds.

Terraspaz
2009-01-20, 09:53 PM
The healing light washes over the blood-soaked warrior, rapidly clotting his numerous open wounds. While the swordsman is far from well, he does seem to stand just a little bit sturdier.

Initiative
Nis
John<----------------- You're up!
??????
Will
Remus
Kioi
Brown Bears
Grug
Lizards
Black Bears

Shhhh!
2009-01-21, 01:35 AM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan continues to amble forward, doing his best to avoid actual confrontation with the creatures. After a few seconds, he raises his hand, forming a sigil of divine power. Calling upon the darkness inherent in his soul, he plucks a devilish scorpion from it's shadowed domain, and places it gently upon the hill.
At least the warrior can stand on his own now...If all else fails, I can heal him afterwards.
The scorpion is marked via a Sco on the map. Hurrah for all.

RebelRogue
2009-01-21, 01:55 AM
Will

Dashing out from hiding, Will closes in on the lizards, while meticulously delaying a sling shot until he's close enough to take advantage of a weak spot in their defenses.

All this of course assuming it will not interfere with the actions of the unknown opponent. I try to sneak attack lizard11 (since I had cover to hide from it). Attack roll: [roll0], Damage: [roll1] + Sneak Attack [roll2]

Terraspaz
2009-01-22, 10:32 AM
Will
Your stone sails through the air, striking a very sickly looking lizard directly in the side of the head. You hear a small -crack- as its skull collapses, and falls to the ground, lifeless. The lizards on either side glare at you, eyes glowing yellow, and utter a low, clicking growl.

Remus! It's you!

lostsole31
2009-01-22, 12:28 PM
"Excellent shot, Will! To gain the ire of your enemies is to be accounted by them a threat!" Kioi shouts.

knewsom
2009-01-24, 12:05 PM
Remus grunted his thanks to Nis before once again lashing out at the remaining bear with renewed fury!

attack [roll0] dmg [roll1]
Attack [roll2] dmg [roll3]

lostsole31
2009-01-25, 12:15 AM
Seeing Remus invigorated by Nis' healing, Kioi makes a sound with a throat and smiles. It is similar to a growl, though having a less-staccato sound with languishing effect on each deep ululation. It is threatening, but not like a great cat's growl so much as a sense of superiority.

Nis is likely the only one that hears it, standing next just behind the man and his horse. Many wilder warriors, such as Grug and Remus, consciously or unconsciously make noises showing rage, anger, or the like. In every case, even by the experienced, there is the sense that these noises - though very intimidating - are still performed by humanoid throats.

For just a second, seeing Kioi's tiger mask and looking down at the nails, that while he seems the most tactically-minded of the three main warriors ... this noise he made was not that of a man who calls upon a spirit of a beast, or likens himself to a beast while he rages ... no, this is far more 'realistic' a sound as could come from a predator and not any normal man.

It is the sound of Grug and Remus' counterpoint. As those two warriors - human and half-orc - invoke animalistic traits to enhance their humanism, this warrior seems more like a beast that invokes a civilized demeanor to enhance a hidden feral nature.

Kioi again guides Ihsan, exactly as before:Ihsan still fighting defensively, per Kioi's direction (AC 25).
Ihsan to target Bear #6.
If Ihsan hits Bear #6, Kioi immediately gets an AOO upon it as well.
- If Bear #6 is attacked and falls because of Ihsan's first attack, the AOO can be held until (if) Ishan successfully attacks Bear #5.
If Bear #6 falls, Ihsan will conduct remaining attacks against Bear #5.
If Bear #6 falls, then follow-on attack/damage rolls listed against Bear #5 are reduced by 1 as Bonded feat does not apply since Kioi did not attack that bear in the last round.
***Attacks: Hoof #1 -- Attack [roll0], Damage [roll1]
Hoof #1 -- Attack [roll2], Damage [roll3]
Bite -- Attack [roll4], Damage [roll5]

Kioi's AOO, if invoked by Ihsan (Combat Expertise 2): Attack [roll6], Damage [roll7]

lostsole31
2009-01-25, 12:21 AM
[OOC: Looks like Ihsan missed all attacks, negating the need for what would have made a nice AOO. :smallsigh:]

Now growling exactly as a great hunting cat ... again, not imitated in the manner of a man ... but as if he truly were some creature other than man, Kioi is infuriated and commits fully to Bear #6's quick destruction.Kioi attacks without Combat Expertise (AC 26), but still has the benefits of Bonded and high ground. Attack [roll0], damage [roll1]

Terraspaz
2009-01-25, 03:16 AM
Remus
With renewed energy, you assail the mighty bear with powerful blows to both sides, causing it to howl with pain, and by the faintest margin, step back away. Collecting itself, it glares into your eyes, and lashes back with two blows of its own, one of which re-opens wounds closed by Nis' divine prayers. The revitalizing energy, however, is enough to wrestle away the bear's claw, and again push away from the wrestling bear.

You take 10 damage
Won the grapple check, 18-24

Kioi
The weakened bear manages to dodge a left hoof from Ihsan, shrug off the right hoof, and shove aside the bite coming down upon it, but had no energy left to fend off the strike from your lance, finally silencing it's rumbling growls. Growing ever more frustrated, the remaining brown bear flails wildly against you, but your stance easily shrugs them aside into wasted effort. The bear snarls, the ferocity ever-growing in his eyes.

Miss with a 15, and an 18

Initiative
Nis
John
??????
Will
Remus
Kioi
Brown Bears
Lizards
Black Bears

Ascension
2009-01-25, 03:56 PM
Grug attacks the brown bear this time. He puts a bit of extra force into his blow.

Att: [roll0]
Dam: [roll1]

((Power Attacking at -2))

Terraspaz
2009-01-28, 11:52 PM
Grug
Though somewhat off balance from the mountaintop, now quite slick with the blood of the bears and your allies, you manage to drive your strike straight into the previously uninjured brown bear. Discovering the tremendous pain of his allies, he roars, jaws salivating with fury.

Attacking now out of fear, the remaining black bears try to claw at Nis and Grug, but only scribe unsightly scratches into your armors. Meanwhile, a group of smaller creatures are on the move.

Will
Some of the lizards, at the sight of one being killed so rapidly, flee off into the mountains. Others, however, raging at the slaying of one of their own, converge down the mountain upon Will Pickman. Their eyes flash a brilliant yellow, before slowly closing them. Then, all in unison, 4 pairs of eyes flash open, and a field of electricity crackles around them.

Will, you take 31 damage.
Grug, Kioi, and Ihsan, take 15 damage.
Brown bear and Black bear 1 also take 15 damage.

Reflex save rolls (Modifiers not included)
Will - 3 (Fail)
Black Bear - 12 (Pass)
Grug - 15 (Pass)
Kioi - 7 (Pass)
Ihsan - 15 (Pass)
Brown - 15 (Pass)

Initiative

Nis <----------------- You're up!
John
??????
Will
Remus
Kioi
Brown Bears
Grug
Lizards
Black Bears

lostsole31
2009-01-29, 12:41 AM
With a bond that only few riders and their mounts share, Kioi and Ihsan move deftly together. So great is Kioi's bond that as electricity arcs around and through himself he manages to save his beloved friend. Meanwhile, while not particularly agile ... Kioi once again is reminded in the face of an electrical assault why it is good to wear wooden armor.
Ihsan would have taken 15 points of damage ... but their bond is strong enough (4th-lvl druid bond) that Ihsan's evasion saves him from any damage. The amazingly crappy roll that Kioi made that still passes is great for RP-ing the wooden armor and shield angle! :smallsmile:
Still, the pain was so sudden and great for what he did suffer that he didn't even have the time to grunt. It isn't until breath returned to him a split-second later that Kioi makes a faint non-verbalization of anguish in his throat.

Still, it was plain to see that the lizards - definitely some abominable wizard's pet that were set loose in the wilds hoever long ago - gained strength from each other.

"Those who can, break the bond ... the less the lizards, the better we will be!" Kioi exhorts his companions.

RebelRogue
2009-01-30, 04:46 AM
Will Pickman

As the lizards electrocute Will, he screams out in terrible agony. When the smoke clears the halfling is shivering, heavily bleeding and shocked in more sense than one. Judging by the look on his face, he wants to get away from those lizards as soon as humanly (halflingly?) possible!

It's not my turn yet, so I'll wait, but expect Expeditous Retreating and tumbling :smallwink:

AetherFox
2009-02-06, 10:42 PM
Nis'Amain Fisthat

Nis turns in time to see Will get scorched badly, and sees the fear in his eyes. Trying to avoid the bear, she runs over to him and cures his wounds.

Maximized CSW: 38 hp. I'll take the AoO, hoping the bear misses.

Terraspaz
2009-02-19, 10:17 PM
OOC: I realize that Will is correct, and Nis could not normally make that movement. However, for the sake of jump starting this, let's say that happens. John, you're up.
Will
The healing energies wash over you, as a soothing coolness races through the numerous burns that coursed through your body. In your moment of elation, however, you notice many pairs of eyes begin to glow, once again...

John, you're up!

Shhhh!
2009-02-21, 01:18 AM
Jonathan Crowley
Shocker Lizards? Why didn't I do something earlier? No matter, the fool is still standing, just waiting for another strike.
Jonathan shifts quietly, taking a moment to gather his knowledge, before shouting at the top of his (admittedly puny) lungs
Ground yourselves! Keep on your feet, avoid direct contact with the ground, and for the gods' sake, stay out of their range!
Move Action, Dark Knowledge: Puissance, if I make a DC:15 knowledge arcana check, all allies within 60 feet gain +1 to saving throws vs. the special attacks of the target creature, in this case shocker lizards. Now for rolls, which dramatic impact demands I fail horribly. [roll0]. P.S., for every 10 by which I exceed the target number, the bonus improves by 1.
He then takes a halting step forward, still wary of the mounds of fur and muscle as yet rampaging atop the hill.