PDA

View Full Version : The Most Merciful Thing (Game Thread)

Pages : [1] 2

Terraspaz
2008-10-08, 08:21 PM
As the sun begins it's descent in the sky, the screams emanating from the church grow in number and volume. Nis'Amaine rushes toward the front door of the church, and strains to open the firmly secured door. Lily remains a few feet back, horror in her eyes.

Unbeknownst to the pair, Will watches from a block away, wrapped securely in his cloak, nearly invisible to the crowd wrought with panic.

AetherFox
2008-10-09, 09:10 PM
Nis'Amain: Human

Nis'Amain struggles at the door futily for a moment, then takes a step back, looking for another way to get in. "Help! Can someone help get this door open?!"

TheBlackDog
2008-10-09, 09:29 PM
Lily

Lily walks up to Nis'Amain and stands, confused and wide eyed.

What happened...?

She reaches up and tugs on Nis'Amain's arm. "What are we going to do?"

Worry and confusion show on Lily's face as she stares expectantly at the older woman.

Terraspaz
2008-10-09, 10:33 PM
While most of the crowd disperses with great speed, nearly 10 or 15 stand back, watching the events as they unfold. As Lily and Nis look at each other with urgency, a figure steps forward from the crowd. The individual bears a greatsword, of notable quality yet still showing its age. A fearsome dog loyally waits at his side.

knewsom
2008-10-10, 01:09 AM
Remus Rutgerson

A veritable mountain of a man stepped forward - at six-foot-three, and weighing in at two-hundred and sixty pounds, Remus made his powerful Rotweiller look like a mere puppy by comparison. His long, black hair was neatly kept, and his nearly perfect face was covered in a coarse stubble. Standing out from his chiseled features were piercing ice-blue eyes, quickly and intelligently examining the scene. His deep voice rumbled in a low murmur to his companion.

"Stay."

Approaching the door, the man's massive hands grasped the handle, his muscles bulging as he strained against it, shifting his weight to force them open.

strength check to force the door. What's it made of? Wood? Metal? Are there windows or any other entrances? [roll0] I'll make a couple more checks, just in case. Remus wouldn't give up at first tug. [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

RebelRogue
2008-10-10, 04:19 AM
William Pickman

Through the chaotic sensory inputs from the scene that plays out before you, you get the eerie feeling that someone may be watching you. Especially the young Miss Kerrigan gets the distinct feeling of being watched by someone or something in the shadows...

Hide check [roll0]

Terraspaz
2008-10-10, 08:23 AM
As you strain and heave against the stout wooden door, you feel it tremble and shift, though no visible distance. You feel it would open if it it was hit just a little harder...

Taking 20 would do it, if you find no other way

knewsom
2008-10-10, 08:48 AM
The massive warrior regarded the door carefully before setting down his pack and setting himself in a more advantageous position to break it down, then had at it once more, determined to see it open.

taking 20 then!

Terraspaz
2008-10-10, 10:48 AM
Repeatedly you slam into the door, hearing a faint but noticable cracking with each blow. After two minutes, you crash your shoulder into the door, and tear the door off the hinges. However, the elation of success is quickly forgotten.

The sanctuary of the church of Pelor lies inside. A large stone-walled room, rows of pews are lined up all the way down the room. Light beaming through small windows in the roof gleam off the walls, adorned with bright, vivid tapestries depicting the splendor of Pelor. Intermittent, between the tapestries, the streaks of light glint on smears of red, still creeping down the walls.

At the front of the room, you (Remus, Lily, Nis) see an altar, with a man slumped on top of it, face down.

AetherFox
2008-10-10, 02:44 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis'Amain stares up at the enormous man pounding against the door, then blinks and remembers the urgency of the situation as the door splinters inward.
"Thanks..." She mummers hurridly, then runs into the temple, her long copper hair whipping behind her. When she sees the man on the alter, she lets out a frightened yelp and motions with her hand, allowing the heaing energies to flow through her. She then checks the man to see if he's still alive.

Heal light wounds [roll0]
Thanks for the help there, knewsom!:smallsmile:

TheBlackDog
2008-10-10, 03:07 PM
Lily

Lily watches the enormous man smash the door, fear and urgency plainly visible on her face. When the door finally crumples, she rushes into the room after Nis'Amain and stares at the walls.
Blood? Is that blood on the walls? Why is there blood?

Her breathing quickens, and then she notices the figure slumped over the alter. Lily rushes up and stands at Nis'Amain's shoulder as the cleric tends to the man. She is visibly worried and confused, but does not seem particularly frightened.
What happened in here? What could have done this? She looks around the room, and then, suddenly curious, begins to look for signs of a cause, using her innate talents.

Lily is going to search for signs of anything.
Search: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Cast Detect Magic (multiple times is needed. I want to cover the entire church.)
Spellcraft (multiple, if needed): [roll3]
[roll4]

Terraspaz
2008-10-10, 03:56 PM
Nis:

You rush up to the altar, and channel the healing grace of pelor into the unconscious cleric. You recognize him as a man named Tyrio, a Servant for barely two years. Abruptly, the man's eyes fly open, and he leans up from the altar, wincing with pain.

"Wha... Oh, thank Pelor, Nis, you're safe." His face, showing a moment of relief, sombers immediately as he looks around the sanctuary. "Oh gods..." Tyrio slinks to the floor, looking at the massacre around the room.

Roll a spellcraft check, with a +2 circumstance

Lily:

As you enter the sanctuary, you see the fallen figures of several Pelorian clerics between the pews... no less than 3. Dressed in once-white robes, the bodies are covered in deep red, motionless and lifeless. As you continue to gaze around the room, your inner arcane senses notice a strong magical force centered on the altar. From the school of evocation, you can't quite decipher what it is, but it radiates a moderate power.

AetherFox
2008-10-10, 04:02 PM
"Tyrio? Tyrio?!"
Nis'Amain gives Tyrio a small shake, stying to rouse him long enough to ask what's going on.

Spellcraft: [roll0]

Terraspaz
2008-10-10, 04:05 PM
Amidst sobs, Tyrio motions around the room at the ensuing catastrophe. Barely intelligible, Tyrio mumbles "How are the others, Nis? Are the ones in the rear of the temple safe?"

AetherFox
2008-10-10, 04:18 PM
"There were others? Do you remeber how many?"
While (if) Tyrio responds, Nis'Amain begins looking through the pews for any other bodies or surviors.
"Lilly, is there anyone else back there?"

Sorry, didn't see the +2. That should be a 20 spellcraft then.

TheBlackDog
2008-10-10, 04:54 PM
Lily

Lily approaches the alter where Nis'Amain and the male priest are carefully, and stops a short distance away. She speaks quietly, not making eye contact.

"There are three people back there." She motions behind her at the pews. "They're all dead." She looks up and frowns deeply."And there's something going on with the alter. Some magic. I'll try to figure it out."

Detect Magic focused on the alter.
Spellcraft: [roll0]

Also, Lily will use both of her invocations, See the Unseen and Entropic Warding. She can see invisible now.

AetherFox
2008-10-10, 05:03 PM
"D-dead?... Are you sure? Tyrio, I'll be right back."
Very worridly, Nis'Amain walkes quietly down the pews. When she arrives at one of the bodies, she runs over and quickly tries to check for a pulse of some kind.

Heal Check for pulse: [roll0]

knewsom
2008-10-10, 11:00 PM
Remus

The massive warrior strode through the doorway, his booted feet crushing the remnants of the smashed door as he carefully took in the scene before him. He checked the dead priests to see if any were Davin before making his way to the altar. His deep voice summoned forth once more, dark and soft as raven's down.

"Tyrio... Davin asked for my help. Tell me what happened here."

spot check. [roll0]

Terraspaz
2008-10-12, 03:16 PM
"Most of the acolytes were back there. Sunset was approaching, so they were readying their closing devotionals. We also had a traveler recovering from an arduous journey, he's been resting in the back since yesterday." As Tyrio continues, he hesitates at the entrance of Remus, taking a moment to collect himself.

Any once-present trace of joviality vanishes from Tyrio's face as he resumes. "Brother Davin and I were preparing the altar for the evening service, when this ball came rolling in, under the pews, and went in that door to the left of the altar. A boy came in behind, looking for it. We told him where it went, and he went in to find it. Seconds later, we heard a terrifying shriek.

"Brother Davin and I ran after the child, but were confronted with at least 5 individuals, dressed in leather and masks the blackest of night. They appeared, as if from nowhere and attacked us with speed I've rarely seen. I... I don't remember much after that."

Tyrio's eyes look up, as two more figures emerge into the doorway. The first you see is a dignified looking man, with hair tied back in a ponytail, and a jet-black chain shirt. The second, a youthful figure with red hair is dressed in the same white Pelorian garb as you've begun to see common in this temple. With a moment of speechlessness, the young man then turns, and flees the temple with great speed, sprinting down the road amidst sobs.

Nis
You detect no pulse in any of the individuals you check.

Lily
Your enhanced vision reveals nothing new to your eyes.
Despite your focus, the exact nature of the magic around the altar eludes you.

John
Feel free to act.

All
Also, as a reminder, the map is located at http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pY6Vh261I5eUV9Pv1cjsHTg&hl=en#

Shhhh!
2008-10-12, 05:36 PM
[B]Jonathan Crowley[B]
An attack? So soon? Hmmm, Hopefully, Davin can enlighten me.
Jonathan watches the boy run away sobbing, and mutters to himself
And nothing of value was lost...
He then turns to the others in the group, eying each one carefully, seeking to assess their strengths at first glance
Alright, I am Jonathan Crowley. I have been summoned to assist Brother Davin in matters regarding the Occult. If You could be so kind as to point him in my direction? Also, because you are a startlingly appropriate group for this...Has this temple been cleared of attackers? If not He points now at the musclebound manYou seem appropriate for the duty. Quickly, if you would, round up any survivors, and bring them to me, in addition to the bodies of any of the attackers. I'll need to identify them, and the sooner I can begin my works, the better it is for all of us. Also, he now holds up a oddly...Foreign coin Would anyone know the region of origin for this currency? It would be immensely valuable to me.
He now walks over to Tyrio, and kneels quietly beside the man, whispering in his ear
What happened?! Davin requested I hurry, but this, This I did not expect.
Again, I realize it's a inappropriate way to act, especially in group oriented games, and in no way do I honestly expect anyone to obey, or like, Jonathan, but being a antisocial scholar is part of his character, and he's the kind of person who, walking into a room ,assumes He should be giving commands. Do with that what you like, and It will go away, assumably whilst he gains trust, or some odd compassion for the group, but for a short while, this is him

Terraspaz
2008-10-13, 10:54 AM
"We've suspected we were being watched for a while. Turns out we were right. The spies, bandits, murderers... whoever they are, attacked us today." Tyrio adds "I hope they're gone now, but in a way, I hope they still linger. Justice ought come to these marauders fierce and swift." He sternly looks around the room at each of you.

knewsom
2008-10-13, 12:31 PM
Remus

The massive warrior slowly approached the smaller man, clearly intruding into his space, bending down until his face was inches from his. His deep voice soft and menacing, his ice-blue eyes piercing.

"I don't take orders from you, little man. If you want to look for survivors, lead the way. If there are attackers still here, then they will die."

Turning towards a door leading deeper into the sanctuary, he whistled for Dain. Once the rotweiller had joined him, he stood by the door, and gestured to Jonathan to go first.

AetherFox
2008-10-13, 02:16 PM
Nis'Amain Fisthal

Nis'amain's hands tighten into fists as she withdraws from the bodies, tears on her face and in her green eyes. Having nothing much to say, she moves to follow the enormous man and his dog, silently cursing the unseen attackers and gripping her spear tighly.

Shhhh!
2008-10-14, 05:29 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan smirks quietly as the large man breathes down his neck, waiting for him to finish his piece and walk to the door.
Tell me, Little man, do you know the difference between the Cult of Skaran, and it's sister component, The Skysons? Or, perhaps, you could tell me the primary difference between Devils serving Baalzebub, and Devils serving Dispater? Hmmm, No, those are odd little ditties, surely out of your specialty. Perhaps, then, you could enlighten us on the primary method for dealing with Illithid incursions? And Aboleth slaver-cults? The world is a dark, vile place, and I have made it my duty to study those spots of shadow, and learn their weaknesses. I was summoned, as I always am, to deal with a threat of this sort. An Unknown entity has done this!
Jonathan waves his arm across the pews with the Dead priests concealed within, and points at the walls covered in blood.
Unlike you, I Have spent my life studying, learning, and finding ways to finish threats of this sort, Not lifting weights and swinging swords. My place not at the front. and I will not take a spot there. However....
He walks slowly to the Large, musclebound man now, obviously intruding on his personal space, and places his hand on the bulging beasts shoulder.
If you're afraid..., Well, I'm not defenseless. I've learned a fair deal over the years. I can freeze a man to his spot with a touch, summon hellbred beasts to torment anything he tries to sic on me, or make him so weak he could barely lift his arm, let alone swing a sword. So, feel free to lead the way, and I'll be right behind you, making sure you don't die from a misplaced knife. So, for your sake, Don't take my orders, but lead to prove how much stronger than me you really are.
Jonathan Says all of this in a quiet voice, not out of fear, but out of an ages old hatred for brutes that try to intimidate with strength alone. Ignoring any protests of Remus, He then walks slowly to stand beside the female cleric, and asks
I don't suppose you would have any idea as to what's going on here? If you know, I would like to know the region the foreigners you've been receiving are coming from? I'm sure you've suffered a shock, but haste is key right now

knewsom
2008-10-14, 06:04 PM
Remus

Oh, if only he knew...

The monstrous man's lips curled into a grin as he chuckled, his deep voice echoing eerily though the hall as the chuckles turned to a deep belly-laugh.

"Ohhh, the little man thinks I'm as foolish as I am strong. With one word he tells us of his great power, and with another he begs my protection."

He snorted, the sound echoing through his barrel-chest like the sound of a stallion readying for a charge. He approached Jonathan and tousled his hair as he spoke.

"You've got stones, Crowley. I respect that. But I take orders from no man. If you beg to differ, it'll be YOUR blood scattered on the walls. I will go first, of course. It's obvious I'm more suited to the task."

With one massive, meaty hand, he drew the greatsword hanging on his back, its ancient steel ringing in the dark church. With the other, he opened the door, boldly, ready for whatever challenge awaits...

AetherFox
2008-10-14, 06:17 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

"I don't... I have no idea. This temple has been my my work... my home over the past few years. When I heards screams coming from here I just... I didn't think... maybe we should call the guards."
A knot gathers in her throat at the end of her story. Once she can speak again, she whispers, "Gods, I've never seen so much death in one place..."

It dawns on her that the two men won't be able so see past their differences. "Oh, why now? We're never going to make it out if we bicker," She thinks.

knewsom
2008-10-14, 06:27 PM
"Gods, I've never seen so much death in one place..."

Hand still on the door as he's about to open it, Remus narrowed his gaze and nodded to Nis'Amain, his deep voice hushed.

"Then steel yourself, lady... for more is sure to come."

Shhhh!
2008-10-14, 07:14 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan smooths his hair, before turning to the cleric
No, the guards are useful, but only after the...offenders have been identified. The last thing I, We, need, is a bunch of incompetent mooks running about causing difficulties. After I have seen the culprits, you may call them, if you must, but until then, Let me go about my works uninterrupted.
He then moves behind the hulking warrior, forming an arcane sigil with his hand.
Let it begin, then.
Readied action to cast Summon monster II if I detect a multitude(3) of enemies. I'll decide on the monster after I find out if it gets cast

AetherFox
2008-10-14, 07:38 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis swallows hard, wishing she could do the same to her fears.
"Alright, for Pelor." She breathes, and steps behind John

TheBlackDog
2008-10-14, 09:34 PM
Lily

Lily sighs in consternation as she walks towards where the group is, stopping behind them. Stupid old people. Arguing when we have important things to do. I'd better stay with them. They might start fighting each other instead of...whatever else.

She readies herself behind Nis'Amain.

Terraspaz
2008-10-14, 11:09 PM
As the door is pulled, you notice a hallway opening up behind it. Three simple wooden doors line the left side of the hallway, evenly spaced along the wall. The last of these three doors is barricaded with a large beam, similar to the one holding the main door of the temple shut. You see another door at the end of the hall, with the concentric circles of Pelor wood-burnt into the door. The hallway turns right, just before this door.

To the right you see two more doors, the first of which is painted a dim orange, much like that of the early stages of a sunrise.

Skylights run down the hallway, spaced 15 apart from one another.

Tyrio peers over your shoulders, anxiously looking down the hallway, watching your moves.

knewsom
2008-10-15, 01:07 AM
Remus

Dain leaned forward ahead of his master ever so slightly, sniffing the air. A low growl began to sound from his throat until silenced by a quiet hiss from Remus.

Instead of heading straight for the barracaded door, the massive warrior began searching, methodically, first door on the left, then first door on the right, and so forth, looking for survivors or attackers.

Whatever is behind that barracaded door... it's staying put for awhile.

Terraspaz
2008-10-15, 11:00 AM
You open the first door on the left, and find a fairly empty room, with a single skylight in the ceiling. The setting sun beams against the eastern wall, (wall to your left) illuminating a tapestry depicting a Pelorian paladin riding off toward a sunset. On the opposite wall is another tapestry of that same paladin greeting the dawn. The room is also furnished with a table surrounded by eight chairs, but is otherwise empty.

The first door on the right swings outward to reveal a well furnished chamber, complete with plush chairs, a bright yellow area rug, and cabniets lining the walls. Many of the cabinets have their doors wide open, and their contents of books, scrolls, symbols and tools scattered on the ground in front of them. There is a door to the left, and across the room.

Shhhh!
2008-10-15, 01:19 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan walks quietly to stand beside the warrior.
That door there, to the back, We can get to Davin's quarters through there. I'll leave the choice to you, but we need to find him, soon.
He then steps back, to leave the warrior room to maneuver.
Cleric, Do you know why that room would be barricaded? It's been awhile, but that is the visitor's room, right? Perhaps we should clear it out soon, Although I'd prefer finding Davin.

AetherFox
2008-10-15, 02:21 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis seems a little hurt at being called 'cleric', like it's a name.
"Please, Jonathan, was it? Call me Nis'Amain."
She turns her attention back to the barricaded door.
"I can't see why someone would barricade this door. If it was blocked from the inside, then whoever blocked it wouldn't want people getting in. But from the outside? They want to keep whatever's in there to stay. The only thing I can think of would b- Dear Gods! Someone's still in there!"

As she says this, she pulls the bar off the door.

Terraspaz
2008-10-15, 02:28 PM
The door is not difficult to unbar from this side. With minimal effort, you remove the barricade holding the door in place, dropping it aside. The door is now free to move.

AetherFox
2008-10-15, 02:51 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis'Amain steps into the room catiously.
"Hello? Is anyone here?"

Terraspaz
2008-10-15, 03:03 PM
As you peer into the room, you observe what appears to be a modest bedroom. An unmade bed sits off to the left, with a mirror across the room, and an armoire to the right. Several phrases are etched into the wall, imparting the most basic tenents of Pelor. As in the other rooms, a skylight sits in the ceiling of this room, showing evidence of the passing day as the light slowly moves up the eastern wall.

In the very center of the room, you see a large, muscular figure, face down on an area rug. He's wearing a white Pelorian robe, but you can't discern much else from this view. Fearing the worst, you happily realize that this figure isn't dead, or even wounded.

He's just sleeping.

Ascension
2008-10-15, 03:46 PM
Grug moans and rolls over in his sleep, revealing to Nis'Amain that the prone figure is an orc, despite his unusually fair hair and Pelorian attire.

AetherFox
2008-10-15, 04:08 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis'Amain jumps as the orc suddenly stirs. Not taking her eyes off him, she yells out to the others;
"Guys! Quick! There's someone in here! Someone alive!"

She rouses the orc's shoulder slightly, hiding a small dislike for orcs, trying to get him to wake.

knewsom
2008-10-15, 04:11 PM
Remus

The hulking warrior turns to speak to Jonathan, and finds Nis not with them. His brow tightens.

"Where's the woman?"

Sticking his head out the door, he quickly notices that the door at the end of the hall has been opened, and rushes through immediately.

"Fool!"

He grabbed her arm in his meaty hand, like the twig of a sapling pinched between massive boulders.

"You could be dead by now - we must stick together!"

Turning his attention to the Orc asleep on the floor, he grew even more confused. With a swift kick in the ribs to wake him, he holds the tip of his greatsword inches from the odd looking creatures face.

"Who the hell are you?"

Ascension
2008-10-15, 04:22 PM
Grug wakes with a start when kicked. Finding a sword shoved in his face, he assumes the worst, but he does not give in to his rage... yet.

"I am Grug the Fair-Haired, now clanless," he replies, speaking slowly in hopes of delaying the man's attack long enough for him to get his bearings and remember which way is up, "You would be one of the cowardly brigands who gassed me, no? If you've come back to kill me, at least let me die standing, with my axe in my hands."

AetherFox
2008-10-15, 04:35 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis'Amain tries to rub the pain out of her arm, and steps between the two signifigantly taller men. She turns twards the Grug.
Look, none of us are here to kill you, and if you want proof, someone could have done it while you were asleep, but they didn't.
She steps back and looks at both of them.
"Now come on. Let's find the real killers, and hope they haven't run away. Fair orc, your assistance would be greatly appreciated, if you wan't to help us."

Ascension
2008-10-15, 04:37 PM
"You I'll help," Grug says to the cleric, "but this fellow waving a sword in my face is going to have to ask very politely if he wants any assistance from me."

knewsom
2008-10-15, 04:43 PM
Remus

The warrior's gaze narrowed in suspicion, then relented.

"If I wanted you dead I'd have killed you already. You're obviously not one of the attackers. Rise, Grug. Well met."

He extended a beefy arm to the similarly beefy Orc to help him up.

"I am Remus, son of Rutger. I too have no clan now."

Ascension
2008-10-15, 05:00 PM
Grug regards Remus with a grudging respect. While the man may be rather quick with his sword, he is willing to admit his mistakes. Good. He takes the proffered arm.

"I will come with you Remus, son of Rutger, at least as long as it takes to track down these brigands..."

Once standing he turns to retrieve his axe from the corner of the room.

"They have shown themselves to be without honor. We will teach them how true warriors face their enemies. By blade and by song they will be taught."

He turns his gaze upon the Pelorian cleric.

"And through the defeat of your church's enemies I will repay my debt to you as well."

Shhhh!
2008-10-15, 05:20 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan scowls for a moment, before returning to the task at hand
I don't suppose one of you will accompany me to Davin's office? I would certainly appreciate it.
He walks slowly into the storeroom, pausing momentarily in the middle to eye the contents of the floor, and wait for the others.
He then thinks for a moment, and shouts to the Orc
My name is Jonathan. We should discuss what you recall of the attack later.

AetherFox
2008-10-15, 05:21 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

During the two men's encounter, Nis'Amain sighs, "Men..."

When the orc agrees to go with her, she nodds and says,

"Great. Safety in numbers."

To Jonathan she says,

"I'll go with you, but we should all stick together. They could be anywhere."

Ascension
2008-10-15, 06:31 PM
"We can discuss what I remember right now, Jonathan," Grug replies, "Purple smoke, a barred door, and an unwanted nap. I'm afraid that's it."

His tone softens as he asks, "Speaking of Davin, though... have you found him?"

AetherFox
2008-10-15, 07:06 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis'Amain turns twards Grug.
"Well, while we're getting introductions out of the way, Im Nis'Amain Fistal, loyal healer of Pelor. I suppose you can just call me Nis, or Amain. Most do. As for Davin, I fear the worst, but we're going to find him now."

Ascension
2008-10-15, 07:34 PM
Grug bows courteously.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Fistal."

He abruptly rises from the bow and takes several strides towards Davin's office.

"But now is not the time for pleasantries. Let's see about Brother Davin."

knewsom
2008-10-15, 07:46 PM
Remus

The massive warrior nodded to the cleric.

"Nis."

Then headed to the door to Brother Davin's office alongside Grug. With a nod to him and to Jonathan, he reached for the handle to open the door...

TheBlackDog
2008-10-15, 08:13 PM
Lily

Lily watches quietly as the rest of the group finds Grug and wakes him. The orc seems friendly, at least for the moment, and if Remus isn't inclined to listen to adults, he certainly won't listen to me. I can speak up later if I need to.

She follows the group to the entrance to Brother Davin's office, and watches as Remus opens the door.

Ascension
2008-10-15, 09:27 PM
Grug suddenly becomes aware of a presence behind him. He whirls around to see... a little girl.

"And who might you be, missy? Dontcha think this place is a mite dangerous for a wee lass such as yourself?"

AetherFox
2008-10-15, 09:29 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis lets out a small laugh.
"You'd be surprised.
Nis smoothes Lily's hair.
The girl can really fend for herself. No, it's safer having Lily with us."

Ascension
2008-10-15, 09:42 PM
Grug raises an eyebrow but doesn't ask questions.

"Whatever you say, Miss..."

He returns his attention to the soon-to-be-opened door.

TheBlackDog
2008-10-15, 10:19 PM
Lily

Lily smiles as Nis'Amain touches her head, and glances up at the cleric. Then she grins at Grug, and speaks quietly.
"I'll be fine. Really, don't worry about me. But we should be quiet. If there's anything still in there, we don't want it to know we're here." Then she turns her attention back to the door.
He seems nice. Better than that Remus, anyway. And I don't even know if that other man... Jonathan, I think, even noticed I'm around.

Ascension
2008-10-15, 10:46 PM
"Why be quiet?" Grug asks the young lady, "If there's an enemy in there we should sing out our war-song to let them know we come to do battle with them. If we don't give proper warning we're no better than those brigands with their sleep-gas and their murder."

Grug slips into the Orcish tongue and begins to sing with a surprisingly gentle voice. His voice seems a bit ill-suited for the Orcish words he's singing, but the overall effect is still rather uplifting. Basically what Roger Whittaker sounds like when he sings in German.

Loosely translated, his song is something like:

Sing, sing, sing a song of battle
Sing of swords, sing of slings
Sing of all martial things
Sing, sing above the death rattle

Inspiring Courage

Shhhh!
2008-10-15, 11:26 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan grimaces at the raucous voice of the Orc.
Perhaps we could wait until we've killed them, then sing of glory, and our ancestors? It certainly seems the most pragmatic solution. And besides that...Would you two
He gestures here at Remus and Grug
Be capable of fighting in a heavy mist? Just...Curious. In case it should come to that.

Ascension
2008-10-15, 11:32 PM
Grug stops singing. He turns to glare at Jonathan.

"Did you just say a 'heavy mist'? 'Heavy mist' is what got me into this in the first place! Are you the one who gassed the visitor's quarters? You being one of those backstabbers would explain your lack of respect for the war-song."

TheBlackDog
2008-10-15, 11:41 PM
Lily

Lily sighs deeply. Old people are always making trouble.

She looks at Nis'Amain and speaks. "Maybe you should stop them, Nis. I don't think we need to fight each other."

AetherFox
2008-10-15, 11:42 PM
Nis'Amain Fisthal

While they are arguing, Nis whispers to Lily,
"Yes. We can't be arguing now of all times."
She looked questioningly at Jon, but not because she wasn't familiar with that sort of magic.
"Wait a minute! Who said anything about killing them?"

Terraspaz
2008-10-16, 12:24 AM
John and associates
Peering into the darkened storeroom, you see a plethora of things inside. Candlabras, shelves, dusty robes, assorted trinkets used in the worship of Pelor. Despite your keen intellect, there seems little systemized fashion to how the objects are arranged. Out of the corner of your eye, you see the figure of a small child slumped over against the left wall, with a small round object next to him.

Remainder of party
Opening the door, you see what appears to be an immaculate room. A modest bed lies along the far wall, with simple decorations adorning the otherwise spacious room. Seven skylights shine through the ceiling, arranged in a circle.

I'm a little confused as to who's where. Could we clear that up?

Shhhh!
2008-10-16, 12:29 AM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan sighs deeply, muttering to himself
Idealistic fools, and idiots. Beautiful.
He then turns to face the Orc
Must everyone with the ability to lift more the 70 pounds cause me problems?
You are an Idiot of the highest regard. If I had wished you dead, you would have found yourself facing a Hellish Wolf, Perhaps while I granted you a curse, or simply froze you in place. If you wish to blindly charge into a room potentially filled with enemies, or traps, with nothing but your blind arrogance to protect you, feel free to do so...when it doesn't affect me. Up until that time, you shall have to learn to fight with wisdom, because if you try it any other way, you are a threat to me, My lack or respect for "warsong" stems from the fact that we are using Stealth, or should be, you colossal ingrate. And besides that all....my mist is shock white. Although purple sounds alchemical, I've not yet deduced an origin. I would need a sample to accurately reach a conclusion
He now faces Nis'amain
I feel sorry for her, I really do, but this is not the time to parrot about the Sanctity of life.
And yes, killing....Did you think that we were going to use axe and sword to bake them a cake? They've raided your church girl, killed your fellows. Don't kill out of rage, but out of necessity, because it it was you that had been here, it would be you laying dead on the ground. Of course, if you aren't up to it, you could take a nice nap in the pews with your friends....Mayhaps they'd enjoy your company?
Hm, invalidated by taking to long to post... Alright, I'm in the room leading to the hallway that goes to Davin's quarters, the preparation area, a few feet inside the door. Also.
Jonathan raises one hand, and taking up a small object from the ground beside him, Solis Aqien, while waving him hand hypnotically in the air.
Daylight on whatever, 50 Min. Duration

knewsom
2008-10-16, 01:17 AM
Remus ducked through the doorway and strode confidently into the room, his booted feet nearly shaking the marble floor beneath him, bold and confident of his power, bolstered by the bard's song.

"Davin?"

Terraspaz
2008-10-16, 06:36 AM
Remus
You hear no reply.

John
Brilliant light now emanates from a small silver plate, on a shelf jutting out into the middle of the room. The details of the room appear vividly apparant.

knewsom
2008-10-16, 10:59 AM
Remus

The warrior turned and left the room.

"Nobody home."

Looking around with a shrug, he decided to finish his initial search pattern, by opening the second door on the left in the hallway...

Ascension
2008-10-16, 11:08 AM
Grug simply follows Remus as he makes his circuit. He has stopped singing, but he keeps idly humming.

Terraspaz
2008-10-16, 11:41 AM
Peering inside, you see a very similar sight. Much like its sister to the left, this room bears a large oaken table, surrounded by chairs. Tapestries are visible on either wall, aglow from the dying light of the sunset.

AetherFox
2008-10-16, 02:32 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

And yes, killing....Did you think that we were going to use axe and sword to bake them a cake? They've raided your church girl, killed your fellows. Don't kill out of rage, but out of necessity, because it it was you that had been here, it would be you laying dead on the ground. Of course, if you aren't up to it, you could take a nice nap in the pews with your friends....Mayhaps they'd enjoy your company?

Nis steps into the room shortly after Jon, and returns his comment angrily.
"What I thought was that we had less brutish ways of dealing with them. I wanted to bring justice to my friends, but that doesn't give us the right to stoop to the killers' level. Gods, you can control arcane powers with a wave of your hand but the best solution you can think up is 'kill them'? I thought at the very least you'd want to question them or something.
After speaking, she walkes over to the small child, deperatly hoping it's not dead, and tring to keep it out of sight of Lily.
"She's already seen enough death for one day..."

Terraspaz
2008-10-16, 07:33 PM
You approach the child, and to your disappointment, see no obvious signs of life. As you bend down to further inspect the boy, a glint of light from the ever-luminous silver plate shines off something partially concealed by the boy. Upon closer look, you make out what looks to be a hinge between his head, and the small leather ball beside his head.

knewsom
2008-10-16, 07:37 PM
Remus

Oblivious of the happenings in the storeroom, Remus continued his systematic search of the remainder of the rooms in the back of the church, searching for survivors, namely, Brother Davin.

search [roll0]

AetherFox
2008-10-16, 07:40 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

"What is?.."
Nis'Amain takes a closer look at the hinge, unwilling to get closer to the dead body, if it is one. She touches the hinge to feel if it is smooth, like normal metals.

Is the hinge on the boys body?

Terraspaz
2008-10-16, 07:49 PM
Remus
Opening the three doors in the back of the church, a horrific sight greets you. Between the rooms, no less than 5 pelorian acolytes lay slain, surrounded by wide swashes of bloodstains on the walls, floor, and in the case of one poor soul, the ceiling. Settling yourself against the display, you turn towards Davin's quarters, and inspect the room adjacent.

As you open the door, a setting of chaos greets you. Piles and mounds of books are gathered disrespectfully in great heaps all around the floor, with hardly any remaining on the shelves. Amidst the disarray, you see what remains of a familiar face.

Davin lies atop a pile of books in the center of the room, now soaked a deep red. Just to the left lies his right arm, severed from his body.

Nis
Except for a few spots of rust, the hinge in the floor appears to be made of normal iron.

In a flash of clarity, you remember seeing this boy enter the church as you met Lily outside.

Shhhh!
2008-10-16, 07:55 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Absentmindedly picking up the plate Jonathan moves to the body, standing beside Nis'amain, while racking his brain for explanations.
Oh, I see. You feel fine about torture, it's just killing that makes you queasy. And, though it's beside the point, Divine, Not Arcane. Yes, I suppose it would be better to keep them alive, let Remus and Grug take of his fingers until he speaks, if then....I wonder, Have you ever heard rumours of secret tunnels in the church? Something that you discounted as foolish?
He then shouts for the warriors
I believe We have found their egress...Would you like to come open it?

AetherFox
2008-10-16, 07:59 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis whispers sadly to herself,
"Oh, this must have been the boy that Tyrio was talking about..."
She lowers the child to the ground, closes his eyes, and thinks,
"Pelor, master of golden light, let this poor child rest easy in your halls. Let him find more peace there then he did in his last few moments here.
She then turns back to the others and says, loudly enoguh for all to hear,
"Guys, I found something..."

Nis'Amain carefully opens the hatch and looks down below.

Ascension
2008-10-16, 08:46 PM
"We did too!" Grug shouts back, "It's Davin! I think... I think we're too late."

Grug is used to seeing death, but these particular killings disturb him, especially the acolyte pinned to the ceiling... if the brigands Are powerful enough to achieve such a feat, why did they left him alive?

AetherFox
2008-10-16, 08:55 PM
Nis'Amain

With a clang, Nis drops the trapdoor and hurries into the room Grug is coming from.
"Are you sure?" She calls to the orc, then beholds the gruesome sight. "Let me see- Oh, gods, I think I'm going to be sick...

Thouroughly disgusted and horrified, she manages to keep her lunch and walk over to Drevin, and once again checks to see if he is by any chance alive.
"I've done this far too many times today..."

Terraspaz
2008-10-16, 09:02 PM
Your suspicions upon seeing the severed arm are confirmed when the cold neck of Davin offers no sign of life.

AetherFox
2008-10-16, 09:13 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

"Damnit!"
Nis slamms her hand into the pile of books, and slumps down, crying silently as the cold realization of everything washes over her.
"Everyone in the temple is dead... What do I do?"

Ascension
2008-10-16, 09:29 PM
Grug lays a gentle hand on the weeping cleric's shoulder.

"You do what you have to, Miss Fistal. You avenge their deaths and then you move on. It's the only way. Didn't you say you found the killers' escape route?"

TheBlackDog
2008-10-17, 02:37 AM
Lily

Lily follows Nis'Amain, content to remain quiet as they search through the church.
I may be young, but I'm not stupid. Everyone is dead. Well, I've seen dead people before; I've even killed people. I don't like it at all, and I don't need to look at them to know they're dead. I should stay quiet. I don't know how happy Remus and Grug are that I'm here.

When Nis'Amain rushes to Davin's room, Lily follows, but stops at the doorway. Her eyes grow wide when she sees Davin's corpse. He's... dead. He was nice to me, and those people, whoever they are, killed him. Lily sniffs involuntarily, and a few tears leak out of the corners of her eyes. I know I should feel sad, and I do. But I'm mad too.

Lily wipes her face and crosses the room to Nis'Amain, and tugs on the cleric's arm. "Don't cry, Nis. We should do what Grug says." She tightens her grip on Nis' arm. "Let's go get them."

knewsom
2008-10-17, 09:35 AM
Remus

The huge man heaved a sigh.

It's too late to return the favor. Now all I can do is avenge you Davin. Redemption be damned.

"Nis, what did you find?"

Shhhh!
2008-10-17, 01:26 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan walks slowly to the library, gasping involuntarily upon entering the room. He walks to one of the piles of books, kicking aside a few on the top.
I'm afraid things are beyond simple revenge at this point. Davin died defending something in this room, and it must have been important, as clerics of the sun god do not spit in life's eye for anything less. I'd guess it was a tome, book, scroll, something, and there are only three reasons for stealing reading material. They either were curious of something they could find nowhere else, or they wished to learn a ritual, or location, that was contained in the library. The last option, it is by far the most troublesome, You see, when you are working to call upon some dread being for whatever reason, or attempting to summon the most powerful undead, the only was to ensure it's effectivity is to eliminate all evidence of the creature, or creatures, from the houses of the holy. I'd wager they've also struck out at a few Wizard's Guilds, if it is that last one. But, yes, We seem to have found their exit. We must hurry, though, and leave. The guard will be here, sooner, or later, and they have a tendency to arrest first, and work out the details later. I only wish I had time to do a inventory of these books, and see what, if any of them, went missing...

Ascension
2008-10-17, 02:08 PM
Grug snorts derisively.

"Are books all you can think about?" he asks Jonathan, "Now is the time for action, not inventories."

AetherFox
2008-10-17, 02:33 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Oh, this is horrible in so many ways...

Nis' gets up and wipes her eyes, trying in vain not to seem weak in front of Lily. She listen's silently to Jon's monolouge, not really taking anything in, lost in thoughts.

This shouldn't have happened. Someone should have been able to stop them.

Shhhh!
2008-10-17, 03:08 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan sighs silently
Well then, Grug, lets just Oh, Guess at what they took! I'm sure it would have a 100% success rate! We may have too, especially if we don't catch them going. I must know what I'm dealing with, it's the only way to stop it.
He gestures here at Davin's body
He and I...We never truly got along. He hated the way I worked, The knowledge I gathered, But he was also smart enough to realize how important it was. He supplied me with forbidden tomes on a regular basis, provided me with contacts to assist me in my workings...I respected his wisdom, as he respected my intelligence. Let's hurry now, we need to get out of here, find them. There is a trapdoor in the other room, With a dead body beside it...I'd guess that was their path in, that they killed the child as a afterthought of sorts..Davin said they had been broken into multiple times, So I'd guess it leads to either a camp of sorts, or at very least, the path used to enter the church. We'll work backwards from the door, and hopefully find the perpetrators.

AetherFox
2008-10-17, 03:16 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis looks at Jon while he talkes, unsure what to think.
He knew Drevin too?

She decides that it's best just now, to agree with the others.
"Very well, lead the way."

Ascension
2008-10-17, 03:49 PM
"That's more like it! Now, let's get moving."

TheBlackDog
2008-10-17, 05:06 PM
Lily

Lily nods assent at the group's decision to begin moving. She also truns to speak to Jonathan. "And if we catch them quickly, it won't matter if we don't know what they took. As long as they still have it, we can get it back."

knewsom
2008-10-17, 05:13 PM
Remus

As Jonathan was pontificating, Remus turned and left the room, heading towards where Nis had been shouting before.

Seeing the trap door and slain child, he sighed and waited for the others to join him.

AetherFox
2008-10-17, 05:32 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis'Amain quietly follows Remus to the other room, wincing as she sees the slain boy again.

Ascension
2008-10-17, 05:46 PM
Grug follows, axe at the ready.

TheBlackDog
2008-10-17, 09:05 PM
Lily

Lily follows Nis closely into the room that contains the trapdoor.

Shhhh!
2008-10-17, 09:25 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan follows the others to the door, mentally readying himself for the exhaustive combat that will surely come, sooner rather than later. Only starting slightly as he realizes the presence of a small girl. He opens his mouth as if to speak, only deciding against it and muttering to himself instead
What...Oh, nevermind
He then holds high his silver platter, providing a stronger light source for the others in the room.
I hate to be the one to point it out, but races that suffer a penalty in sunlight, or bright light, suffer it while in a 60 Ft. Radius of the Daylight emitting object

AetherFox
2008-10-17, 10:10 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

"Good call..." Nis mutters, not taking her eyes off the trapdoor.

Terraspaz
2008-10-17, 11:08 PM
Without further delay, Remus lifts open the trapdoor, sliding the child to the side in the process. A small ladder descends down 10 feet, into a dark room, luminated only by the light of the silver plate.

MAP:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pY6Vh261I5eUV9Pv1cjsHTg&hl=en#

Shhhh!
2008-10-18, 12:48 AM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan peers quietly into the trapdoor. He then takes a quick look at his plate.
He almost sighs...It should last... before dropping the plate into the trapdoor.

Ascension
2008-10-18, 01:40 AM
"I'll go first," Grug volunteers, "You could have kept your light. I don't need it."

Barring any unforeseen complications, Grug climbs down the ladder, moves about ten feet down the tunnel, and peers into the darkness.

I messed up the tags for my rolls, check the OOC thread.

AetherFox
2008-10-18, 05:15 PM
Nis'Amain Fisthal

Nis'Amain motions for Remus or Jon to follow, saying,
"I'll bring up the rear... make sure no one's following us."

Spot check to see if anyone is around. [roll0]

knewsom
2008-10-18, 09:15 PM
Remus approached the trapdoor and squeezed himself through the opening, hopping to the landing below as soon as his massive shoulders had passed through.

At the bottom he gave Grug an odd look.

"How can you see with those things on?"

spot[roll0]
listen [roll1]

Shhhh!
2008-10-18, 09:23 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan waits a moment, to see if someone is laying in wait at the bottom. If, after about 30 seconds, nothing happens, he efficiently climbs down the ladder, picking up his silver platter, and using it to gaze about the room.
Just in case of a natural 20, or some such foolishness, [roll0]

Ascension
2008-10-19, 12:18 AM
"These things," Grug replies, "are all that's protecting me from that man's accursed light. I don't like it any more than you do, but they're a necessity for me. My race has sensitive eyes."

RebelRogue
2008-10-19, 09:13 AM
Will Pickman

As you begin exploring the lower church level you hear a horrified, though not loud scream, apperantly coming from the room in which you found the dead Pelorian cleric and acolytes. Davin! It is a male voice, but highpitched like that of a child or a small creature. Those of you with keener senses notice this sudden outburst followed by the quiet sounds of sobbing.

TheBlackDog
2008-10-19, 01:25 PM
Lily

Lily climbs down the ladder after Jonathan, and surveys her surroundings. Then she motions for Nis to follow.

Spot and Listen, just in case.
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

AetherFox
2008-10-19, 03:02 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis'Amain follows very closely behind Lily, not needing the provocation to follow. As she here's the voice, she considers running back to see who it is, but decides that, if it was one of the city officials, she would look suspicious being there. Nis'Amain shivers involuntarily as the darkness washes over her, and makes sure not to let Lily out of her sight.

RebelRogue
2008-10-19, 03:19 PM
Will Pickman

Struck by sadness over the brutal murder of his own mentor, Will gathers his strength and wipes away the tears. Why Davin? Why, why, why? This must be dangerous, indeed!, he thinks to himself as he realises he's just given away his position with his loud outburst. The thought of creatures capable and willing to do such acts of carnage potentially knowing where he is fills Will with dread! A drop of cold sweat drops to the floor as he shakes for a moment. No, I have to find out more. I owe it to Davin! And I'll be safer near the others... With this assuring thought he wraps his cloak around him and sneaks towards the room where the party currently recedes.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]

AetherFox
2008-10-19, 04:55 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Curious of the noise, Nis'Amain sticks her head out of the hole and looks around. When she is unable to see anything, she calls out, slightly nerviously,
"Who's there?"

Terraspaz
2008-10-19, 10:52 PM
The five of you slip down into the darkness, newly pierced with the shining glow of John's Plate. As you land on the stone ground below, you take several breaths, noting the stale and dusty air that surrounds you all. With little doubt, you realize you are below ground level.

After settling into this subterrainian room, you take a moment to note your surroundings. Several assorted chests and boxes are scattered amongst this room, nearly all of which have their contents sloppily spilled onto the floor. Nis, Lily, and Remus particularly note that the exception to this are several mounds of books. While they certainly appear out of place, they're not as haphazardly scattered over the floor, instead appearing in piles.

To your left, you notice three rooms, none of which possess doors. Given the size and angle of the rooms, you can't see all the way into any of them, but the limited view of bookcases and rusted trinkets suggest that these rooms too, are used for storage.

Remus
With a keen glance, you notice that the dusty air leading toward the rightmost room of those three is thicker, and in greater motion, as if it were more recently disturbed.

As you begin to wonder what this might all mean, you hear a concerned voice from upstairs cry out Davin! Nis looks out the trapdoor, but sees no one that made such a sound.

Ascension
2008-10-20, 12:16 AM
*That voice was far too girly for a man... but too masculine for a woman... Oh Gruumsh above, it's probably an elf. An elf is the last thing I want to deal with at the moment...* Grug thinks.

"If he's that distressed about Davin's death, the 'fellow' above us isn't a suspect. Ignore him," Grug suggests.

knewsom
2008-10-20, 12:47 AM
Remus

Obviously, the little voice from above was of little concern to Remus, and he grunts in agreement with Grug. Carefully surveying their musty surroundings, suddenly his eyes widen. He bolts for the corner of the room, swinging his massive blade!

well, if there's a door there or the like, he'll head through it, otherwise, if there's some invisible creature stalking, he'll kill it!

attack [roll0]

Ascension
2008-10-20, 12:56 AM
"Gru!" Grug exclaims as Remus charges, "What is it? Where is it? I can't see anything with these bloody goggles on and bookworm over there shining his light all over everything!"

That would be "Gru!" as in "Gruumsh!"... sort of like exclaiming "Gee!" instead of "God!"...

RebelRogue
2008-10-20, 05:29 AM
Will Pickmann

Damn!, Will curses to himself as he accidently kicks some ornamental metal cup on the floor he did not notice. As he sees the pretty young woman stick out her head from the trapdoor he notices her holy symbol. A cleric of Pelor? I guess she must know Davin, then. Anyway, what have I got to lose now? The halfling unwraps himself from the cloak and steps forward to reveal himself. I... I'm a friend of Davin's, ma'm! he stutters nervously.

Terraspaz
2008-10-20, 08:04 AM
Remus' furious charge cleaves through the air, unfortunately hitting only that. As his prized sword chops harmlessly forward, you hear a voice boom from deep inside the room next to him.

"That's enough, warrior!" the voice says. "If you want this poor cleric to ever draw breath again, you and your friends will lay down your swords, and you will stand against that far wall!" The light from John's plate only illuminates part of the room, from where he's standing, and you can't see your verbal assailant.

EDIT:
Roll for initiative. Note: We may not be entering init just yet, but let's get 'em out of the way, just in case.

Ascension
2008-10-20, 08:29 AM
"Now we sing the song of war!" Grug shouts, "The time for negotiation is over! You have claimed the lives of a score of clerics already, sparing one will not save you from our wrath!"

He begins to sing again. His voice is harsher this time, with a current of hate running through it. In fact, the song itself is harsher, more of a chant.

Again, a very loose verse translation from the orcish:

Hurt, Maim, Crush, Kill
Death, Vict'ry, Honor, Thrill
Blood, Blood, Blood, SPILL!

Standard action to start the song (Insp. Courage), move action to go towards the voice.

knewsom
2008-10-20, 10:29 AM
Remus

A growl emanated from the chest of the massive warrior.

"What Cleric? Show yourself, coward!"

He stepped forward into the next room.

init. [roll0]

RebelRogue
2008-10-20, 12:27 PM
Will Pickman

The fiendish voice terrifies Will and reactively makes him wrap up the cloak again. Hearing and understanding the harsh orcish verse doesn't exactly counter this feeling, yet it gives him a certain warmth inside. Now is not the time to wimp out, Will! he assures himself. Silently drawing and loading his sling, he carefully moves closer to the trapdoor to get a peek down.
Initiative [roll0]
If appropriate:
Move Silently [roll1]
Hide [roll2]
Spot [roll3]

TheBlackDog
2008-10-20, 01:49 PM
Lily

As Grug begins to sing his song of war, Lily bares her teeth. Well, since they haven't complied with that command, I guess the only option is to move quickly and stop whoever that is from doing anything. Besides, I can't imagine he'll find me threatening.

Lily follows Remus into the next room, hands at the ready.

Does Lily see anything? She currently has darkvision 60.
Initiative: [roll0]

AetherFox
2008-10-20, 02:34 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis moves twards the door where the others stand, and tries to see who spoke. HWne she stops, she shouts out, mostly to the other members of the party,
"Wait! Stop! Don't attack!"

Almost forgot! Initiative [roll0]

Terraspaz
2008-10-20, 05:03 PM
Lily
Walking up to the doorway, you see the gray images within. On the left stands a warrior in black studded leather, sword drawn. A similar warrior stands on the right, as well. However, this swordsman's blade is held in front of a man dressed in a dingy Pelorian robe, who stands directly in front of the warrior. At the rear of the room, barely percievable stands a man in dark black robes, who appears to be the one speaking. "That's odd," he says, "surely, beast, you'd wish to repay some of these kind folks generosity for harboring a foul creature like yourself even for a moment. So quick to cast them aside... you should be ashamed of yourself. You should listen to the girl... she seems to be the only sensible one among you."
Lily, you see a smirk of confidence grow on his face.

AetherFox
2008-10-20, 05:31 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis'Amain glares into the haze, unable(?) to see quite who spoke. Quietly, she whispers to the man,
'What do you want?..."

I'm nit sure if we can all see him or not, since the light is right there. Anyway, not 'what do you want' an a submitting way, but more of a 'state your offer, and I'll decide' way. If you know what I mean.

Ascension
2008-10-20, 06:50 PM
Grug drops out of his song again, with a sigh.

Eventually he'll get a chance to finish a verse... maybe even the chorus, too.

"I don't see the point in negotiating with terrorists," he states simply, "Odds are you'll kill him anyway as soon as we capitulate, given the lack of honor you and your fellows displayed in the recent massacre. But if we're going to talk, I have a counter-offer. Let him go and surrender yourself, and we might see fit not to kill you for your heinous crimes. Especially if you would be willing to lead us to your companions. Judgment will find them eventually, you might as well hasten it along its way. I guarantee we will be more merciful than Our One-Eyed Lord will be when he sifts through the souls of man and orc on the great day of reckoning."

Do I roll Diplomacy or Intimidate? Both? It's hard for me to tell.

Diplo: [roll0]
Intim: [roll1]

RebelRogue
2008-10-20, 08:14 PM
Will Pickman

Will climbs down the stairs, still trying to stay hidden and to be as silent as possible.

Terraspaz
2008-10-20, 09:30 PM
"What we want, girl? Frankly, my dear, it couldn't be easier. All we ask is to go our way. Stand aside, and let us depart this hellhole of a town before any more blood is spilled." The robed figure continues to speak, but is cut short by Grug's outburst. "Ah, I see your achievement in possessing more mercy than this Groomish character, or whatever his name is. Clearly you are masters of etiquitte." His grin widens, when suddenly, the swordsman to the left speaks. "You know, maybe they have a point, sir. After all, we don't know how many guards could follow them, and your teleport scro-"

"SILENCE!" screams the robed figure. "Not another word, or you join them!" He turns back to you, eyes gleaming with anger, now illuminated by John's plate.

<I'm assuming he'd have walked up somewhere in this.>

"My patience tires. Does your friend live, or die?" He motions to the figure in Pelorian robes, coldly gazing at the five of you.

Will
<You make it down the ladder with the lightest of feet, and can hear the argument going on. You aren't close enough to see the foes yet.>

TheBlackDog
2008-10-20, 10:59 PM
Lily

"Please, let him go!"

Lily steps in front of the rest of her companions and faces the leader with wide eyes. "We'll let you go peacefully if you let him go, won't we?" Lily turns to face her friends, nodding as she does. But when her head is facing away from the man and his hostage, she winks at Grug and company. Then she turns back.

Bluff: [roll0]
To make him believe we will let them go in peace if they let the cleric go.

AetherFox
2008-10-21, 04:22 PM
Nis'Amain Fisthal

Nis'Amain stiffens as she sees the pelorian cleric in more detail.
"How do we know you won't leave with him when we go? Have him come to us, first."

Sense Motive: [roll0] to see if they will really let him go, and a diplomacy: [roll1] for the command.

Terraspaz
2008-10-21, 07:58 PM
"...Fine. Send over the prisoner." The robed figure waves a hand, as the swordsman on your right lowers his blade. He roughly shoves the Pelorian figure toward you, sending him walking your way. Shivering, the figure heads toward the doorway, head inclined downward.

"Now then, we've fulfilled our end. Let us pass, and be done with one another."

AetherFox
2008-10-21, 09:11 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis'Amain pushes lightly passed Remus and runs, relieved, to the other Cleric and puts her hand on his shoulder.
"Thank Gods you're safe. Did they hurt you?"
Unwilling to go back on her promise, regardless of to whom, she will let the men pass if they try to.

knewsom
2008-10-21, 09:34 PM
Remus

Remus growled under his breath. "It's a trap."

He grabbed the man as he passed in his vicelike grasp, forcing him to how his face, searching for recognition.

"Who the hell are you?"

AetherFox
2008-10-21, 09:36 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis'Amain jumps as Remus grabs the Cleric.
"Cut it out! He's been through enough already!"

She tries to lead the shaken man past Remus.

Terraspaz
2008-10-21, 10:53 PM
"These heathens aren't going to let us leave at all. Men, Attack!" The two swordsmen grasp their swords, ready for battle, as you sense a swell of arcane energy surround the robed figure in the back.

William
You hear the voices and preparations for battle... what do you do?

knewsom
2008-10-22, 12:54 AM
Remus

Rage burned in the massive warrior's ice blue eyes.

"Fool woman! It's a TRAP."

Leaving his companions, he charged headlong between the two swordsmen and straight at the spellcaster, swinging the heavy blade with incredible force!

Not sure what grug's gonna do, but Remus needs to kill somethin'. Charge attack on the spellcaster, power attack 3. Assuming Grug's music is still in effect. [roll0] damage [roll1]

RebelRogue
2008-10-22, 06:09 AM
Will Pickman

Will sneaks further, to the side of the doorway and peeks in. Drawn to the surge of arcane energy he can feel his body tingle. Uh, that sensation again... Where is that caster? And what is he doing? Hmm, he must be in the darkened area. Too far away for me... yet! The halfling locks his attention to the darkened area with a stone firmly in place in his sling.

Will readies to Sneak Attack the source of arcane energy with his sling, should he see it within 30'. He wants to use the Steal Spell ability, should he hit.

Also, is it possible for me to determine what spell is being cast? I suppose there will be some penalties due to the circumstances, but it never hurts trying: Spellcraft [roll0]

Terraspaz
2008-10-22, 07:09 AM
Will:
Creeping up to the doorway, you stop beside the man holding the glowing plate, and watch for that delicious arcane power.

Grug, you're up

Ascension
2008-10-22, 11:46 AM
I'm that far away from the action? And my would-be charge path is blocked? Drat. At least not being able to reach them this turn gives me a reason to start singing again, I suppose. Inspire Courage.

Wait, I can reach them. I forgot about fast movement. Oh well, I think I'll sing rather than slash this turn anyway. There's always next time 'round for smashing people's faces in.

Grug begins singing again... It is a joyful song, a laughing song.

One day soon the elves will fall!
Ha-ha-hee-hee-hee-ho!
And when they fall we'll have a ball!
Ha-ha-hee-hee-hee-ho!
And at the ball we'll laugh and sing!
Ha-ha-hee-hee-hee-ho!
'bout all the finest orcish things!
Ha-ha-hee-hee-hee-ho!

As he sings, he strides swiftly towards the enemy. He doesn't intend to be left out of this fight. He manages to reach one of the villains, but doesn't get a chance to hit him before his six seconds are up.

AetherFox
2008-10-22, 02:58 PM
Nis'Amain Fisthal

Seeing that a fight is innevitable, Nis'Amain quickly comes to a decision.
I'm not going to sink to the level of flmaes and knives, but I can atleast stop them from hurting us, since talking is out of question.

She moves around the cleric and grabs the sword carrier's arm.
"Pelor's not happy with you..." She whispers, then shoves the full force of her power into him.

Mwahahahahaha! Bestow Curse! :smallamused: DC 18 or....

-6 Strength
-4 attack rolls, saves, ability and skill checks
50% chance of no action every turn.

Terraspaz
2008-10-22, 04:04 PM
Gritting his teeth, the warrior betrays a slight grimace, before approaching you with his blade.

Saved with a 19. By the way, future reference: Bestow Curse only does one of those three things, not all three.

Meanwhile, farther down the room, Remus charges straight through the center of the room, into the shadows. Trusting in his sword, he strikes true, burying it deep in the unsuspecting figure - so deep, in fact, that it passes all the way through him, cutting the man in half, shoulder to hip.

Nis:
"That wasn't nice, girl..."The warrior in front of you sneers, and raises his blade muttering a quiet incantation. The Longsword crackles with electricity, and flashes as you barely duck out of the way.

<John: You recognize this effect as one very similar to "Shocking Grasp">

Attacked with 14.

Grug:
You rush menacingly toward the swordsman on the left. As you near him, you see him ready his sword, and then allow a gleeful smirk. You look over your shoulder as the man in Pelorian robes withdraws a Jagged dagger, and sprints toward you with it. With little chance to react, you recoil in pain as the dagger plunges into you.

Attacked with a 27. You take 14 damage.

Shhhh!
2008-10-24, 02:07 PM
Jonathan Crowley
Jonathan throws the glowing plate towards the enemies, before raising one hand to from a divine glyph in the air, and muttering a quick incantation.
A small burst of black smoke emits from the ground in flanking position with whomever may use the benefits, only to resolve into a snarling, fiendish wolf, which attacks it's foe with great ferocity.
Summon monster II, Fiendish wolf, 5 round duration, hopefully useful for flanking.

TheBlackDog
2008-10-25, 03:24 AM
Lily

Lily scowls and then raises her right hand, pointing it at the man dressed as a Pelorian. Dark purplish energy gathers in her palm, and then shoots off towards the false cleric.

Attack vs. touch AC: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Will Save DC 16 or become shaken for 1 minute.

RebelRogue
2008-10-25, 07:12 AM
I realise that there's one bad guy who needs to take an action before it's my turn, but I have to leave soon (to go DM the start of an Eberron campaign with good friends, so I'm relly looking forward to that :smallsmile: ), so I'll just state my actions now. If this is somhow rendered impossible by his actions I'll edit or something. I hope that's ok with you all...

Will Pickman

Seeing Remus cut the presumed wizard in half fills Will with equal parts relief and disappointment. However, at the sight of the enemy swordsman wielding arcane power, Will turns his attention to him. He darts forward, gritting his teeth and relying on his race's traditional skills with slings to siphon the duskblade's magical energy for his own use.
Will moves within 30' feet of the duskblade to Sneak Attack/Steal Spell using his sling (I want to steal that Lightning spell. Spellcraft [roll0] to recognize it - otherwise, I'lll just take a random one).
Attack roll (including Inspire Courage) [roll1]. Regular damage [roll2], Sneak Attack damage [roll3] (rolled separately in case he somehow negates it)

Terraspaz
2008-10-27, 11:35 AM
The "cleric" slightly recoils in pain, not appearing very injured from the arcane blast. However, he looks at the girl with a new sense of fear, and tries to collect himself. Failed the save

Grug:
The swordsman yet to move eyes you up and down, and with a sneer, closes his eyes for the briefest instant. Next to him, a shadowy mist appears, dampening your spirits, and weakening your defenses. You recognize this as a shadow familiar. It has no substance, and is just like a spell effect.

Remus:
He looks at you, and with the quickest action, utters a curse against you, but your steadfast will shrugs off his dark influences.
Saved

Grug:
He then turns back to you, and brings his longsword down with great speed against you, leaving time for a second blow, which also connects. You flash a furious glance at him as you recover from the attacks.

You take 19 damage.

Will:
Popping out from behind a corner, you hurl a stone toward the unsuspecting swordsman, which takes a glancing blow off his head. You feel the ecstatic rush of Arcane Energy flow into you, focused into your hand. You stole "Touch of Fatigue"

knewsom
2008-10-27, 11:56 AM
Remus

With a roar, the massive warrior raised his still-dripping blade once more, barrelling headlong at the man disguised as a cleric!

Another charge attack at the cleric, power attack of 3 once more [roll0] damage [roll1]

Ascension
2008-10-27, 12:25 PM
As blades pierce him from both directions, Grug works the grunts of pain into an improvised song. He also feels the rage building within him again, and lets it flow this time, overtaking his higher functions. He thinks only of pain now, tolerating the pain within him and inflicting more of it on those without.

Gah! Grah! Graaaah!
The warrior's song is a song of pain!
Gah! Grah! Graaaah!
With screams and grunts as its refrain!
Gah! Grah! Graaaah!
But when his enemies are all in hell!
Gah! Grah! Graaaah!
The only sound will be their death knell!
Gah! Grah! Graaaah!

He lashes out with his mighty axe...
Raging, continuing to sing if possible.

I can't recall the full effects of the shadow companion, so this is with full bonuses...
Attack: [roll0]

Terraspaz
2008-10-27, 12:50 PM
The mighty orc's unleashed rage sends his axe wildly thrashing around, unclear where the axe was supposed to strike true.

As the "cleric" breathes a sigh of relief, Remus gets a running start and buries his blade into the man's shoulder. The man howls with pain and turns angrily towards you.

AetherFox
2008-10-27, 05:08 PM
Nis'Amain Fisthal

Nis'Amain quickly runs over to Grug, seeing the sword stab into him.
"No! Grug! Stay strong!"

She lets the energy flow through her once again as she touches Grug's shoulder.

I provoke AoO from... jeeze: S-D, Shadow, and the cleric. :smalleek:

Anyway, CMW on Grug: [roll0]

Terraspaz
2008-10-27, 09:54 PM
Nis
As you try to dart away, the swordsman lunges at you, but catches only air as you dart away. Your sacrifice of balance, however, catches up with you as the disguised cleric catches your side with his curved dagger.

You take 6 damage Your healing energies wash over the enraged orc, mending several of his wounds.

You can't take solace for too long, though. As you finish the prayer, you notice the swordsman you eluded give chase, and take up position behind Remus. He utters a quick incantation, and his sword crackles with electricity. It connects into his back, as Remus jolts with an electric shock.

Remus
You take 7 lightning damage (saved for half), and 10 weapon damage

With a smirk, he shouts across the fray, "Don't worry, I've got this one. Focus on that big angry guy!" The figure grins, and smugly asks: "Why choose?" Turning to Remus and Grug, he strikes with his dagger at each of them.

Remus:
Hit with an 19. (That shadow thing and charging's killing ya.) You take 17 damage

Grug:
Hit with a 17 (Raging and that shadow's killing ya.) You take 19 damage

Content with his efforts, the figure nimbly steps away five feet.

Terraspaz
2008-10-30, 06:30 PM
Finishing his incantation, Johnathon closes his hand with a snap, as a wolf with bright red eyes, filled with hate materializes into the room, right in front of the "cleric." Dodging the foul creature, the disguised man twists to avoid a nasty bite to the arm, but turns around and... looks into the eyes of the man with the golden plate, the man who's uttering yet another incantation... the man who, with a word, has paralyzed him from head to toe.

Hold Person, failed his save with a 5. Lily, you're up.

TheBlackDog
2008-10-31, 01:06 AM
Lily

Lily moves slightly closer to the fray, and then fires another burst of arcane energy, this time at the man attacking Remus. As the energy flows from her, she grimaces and shouts.

Eldritch blast at the duskblade.
To hit: [roll0] against touch.
Will save DC 16 like before.

Terraspaz
2008-10-31, 12:16 PM
The warrior recoils and the arcane jet shooting towards him, and struggles to recover as he regains his footing. Failed the save with an 8

Meanwhile, the uninjured warrior casts a scornful look at Nis, and nimbly advances to her. He brings his blade down upon her twice, as the shadowy haze moves to the other side of him. Despite the haze's magical intrusion into her mind, Nis turns the lethal strikes into little more than glancing blows off her armor. Missed with a 17 and an 18.

Scowling, the warrior remembers his previous foe, and shoots a gaze to shatter Grug's spirits.
Grug:
Hexblade's Curse. Failed the save with an 8. -2 to attacks, saves, ability and skill checks, and damage rolls for an hour.

Back to the top. William, you're up.

RebelRogue
2008-11-02, 04:20 PM
William Pickman

The feeling of arcane energy resonates through William's body. A gasp of pleasure rolls over his lips. But the thrill of stealing such a simple spell is soon over leaving him with an embarassed look on his face. But now that he's getting started, he knows he wants just a little more... With a quick assessment of the battlefield he's now let himself be a part of, he notices the summoned wolf distracting the imposter cleric. Let's see just how much of a cleric you really are!, he muses to himself, as he draws his sword while moving into position for a nice stab at the man's back. Hoping to absorb more energy, this time of a potentially divine flavour, he calls upon his innate abilities again.

Will moves into flanking position with the "Cleric" while drawing his short sword. He tries to steal spells once again.
To hit (including +2 for flanking): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1], Sneak Attack [roll2]

Edit: I forgot a +1 for the bard song, that's AC 25!

Ascension
2008-11-02, 04:48 PM
Grug's breathing is labored, and he knows his injuries are close to dropping him, but still he wheezes out his war song and fights on.

Your swords and spears do I disdain,
Gah! Grah! Graaah!
You shall soon find your place among the slain,
Gah! Grah! Graaah!
And though I may grow gaunt and pale,
Gah! Grah! Graaah!
Never shall my war axe fail!
Gah! Grah! Graaah!

He lashes out again at the hexblade.

((Curse factored in, but no other negative modifiers considered.))

Terraspaz
2008-11-02, 05:37 PM
Will
You slip beside the stock-still Pelorian figure, and drive your dagger deep into his side. You're dissappointed, however, as the familiar rush of magical energies is woefully absent with the strike. With wounds dripping onto the floor, the figure is barely hanging onto life. Though you've probably figured it out, the figure is not a spellcaster. Also, don't forget the +1 damage from Grug's Muzak

Grug
You turn and thrash wildly at the hexblade, as he tries to slip by you. The extent of your injuries ache within you, and send your deadly strike inches to the side of the warrior.

Remus
You step to the side, and firmly plant your feet in front of the duskblade, placing him between you and the wall. You raise your trusted greatsword, and drive it into the wall, severing his left leg as you do so. The warrior falls to the side, screaming with pain for the briefest of instant, before falling silent forever.

Go go cleric time.

AetherFox
2008-11-02, 05:52 PM
Nis'Amain Fistal

Nis'Amain stares in horror at the bloodshed al around her.
This isn't going to be stopped. I can only help the good side...

Seeing Grug take hit after hit, she floods her body with positive energy, and pushes it into Grug.

Cleric time indeed.:smallamused:
Cure serious wounds: 3d8+8
Sacred Boost: 32
Augment Healing: 38

Keep on truckin', Grug!

Terraspaz
2008-11-02, 06:56 PM
The orc's muscles renew with life as Nis' divine channelling washes over him, completely mending his wounds.

The man in Pelorian robes strains and groans to break John's hold on his mind, but manages little more than to shudder in terror at the carnage as the duskblade falls to the ground, lifeless. Eyes wide with fear, the figure remains rooted to the ground, still unable to move.

Failed the will save with a natural 1. Still under "Hold Person" (Even happens to the bad guys)

We'll give SShhh until the end of Monday, then I'll post for him. Hopefully his internet goofs will be fixed soonish.

Terraspaz
2008-11-05, 12:37 AM
Johnathon stands confidently at the doorway, readying himself for any who try to exit toward the staircase. Meanwhile, his fiendish wolf takes a snap at the frozen Pelorian's arm, gouging some deep scratches. (Readying until further notice)

Lil, you're up.

TheBlackDog
2008-11-05, 01:56 AM
Lily

Lily gestures again, launching arcane energy in the direction of the false cleric, determined to bring him down.

Terraspaz
2008-11-05, 08:32 PM
Lily's arcane energy swirls once more around her, and streams into the eyes of the rogue in disguise. His eyes turn black with the infusion of energy, as his head droops downward. You watch as the life begins leaving him. He's dying. Having a dex of 0 kills your AC.

The other swordsman flashes a glare of anger at the young girl, but takes a second glance at Grug and Nis, still bearing down on him. As he brings his blade down against the cleric, you notice that his strikes don't come as quickly, and his reflexes turn a mite more sluggish.

"Haste" has worn off

He curses as the blade scrapes against her metal armor.
He and his shadow shuffle and switch places, trying to get farther away from the murderer with the greatsword.

Missed with an eighteen. Will, you're up. (This'll likely be the last round of combat.)

knewsom
2008-11-07, 01:39 PM
Remus' chest heaved and his eyes smouldered with rage. He strode steadily towards the attacker, his greatsword dripping with gore.

"Pathetic fool! Drop your weapon and release your spell. Co-operate with us, and we may allow you a painless death... If you do not... I promise there will be no end to your suffering!"

intimidate [roll0][/spoiler]

AetherFox
2008-11-09, 12:06 PM
Nis'Amain Fisthal

Nis'Amain steps back away from Remus and the attacker, sincerly hoping the intimidation will work...

RebelRogue
2008-11-09, 12:27 PM
Will Pickman

Since there was no magic to be stolen, Will's imminent hunger for spell power diminishes. Once again he looks a little lost and embarassed to be where he is. Seeing that the battle is just about won, he sheathes his bloodied sword and moves to the back of the line of combat again, letting the big, scary man do the talking.

Ascension
2008-11-09, 12:51 PM
Still consumed by rage and freshly invigorated by Nis's healing, Grug does not even notice when the others stop swinging.

((Curse factored in, but no other negative modifiers considered.))

Terraspaz
2008-11-10, 08:58 AM
Failed Intimidate Check

"You think I'm going to bend down and simply submit to your will, weaklings?! You may have ended my weak, pitiful companions, but when faced with the might of a true warrior, as myself, there's little wonder you so soon switch to words rather than action.

You ask me to drop my weapon? Instead I DEMAND that you lower yours and let me pass, or you will soon discover a world filled with pain, misery, bloodshed, an-AUUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!"

The warrior buckles forward, as the enraged bard lands a crushing blow deep into his back, dropping the man instantly.

Feels nice to be out of initiative

Ascension
2008-11-10, 09:07 AM
Panting, near exhaustion, Grug lets go of his anger.

"There... now... they're all... dealt with."

knewsom
2008-11-10, 11:13 AM
Remus too, lowered his sword and released his anger with a deep breath.

"It's unfortunate none of them are alive... now we have noone to interrogate."

He looked to the deep wound on his shoulder, his side, and his thigh. Blood was running in rivulets down his legs, causing him to leave bloody footprints behind him as he walked. He grunted lightly as he did so.

"Search them. We must find out who is behind this."

Terraspaz
2008-11-10, 10:33 PM
Searching the bodies, you find several items of note.

The Pelorian Cleric was wielding a magical blade, though it served him little good in the end. In addition, he had a belt around him that seems perpetually greasy... as you try and hold it in your arms, it constantly tries to slip out, and fall to the ground.

The wizard wore a hardened cloak, clearly designed to repel his foe's magical effects.

The first of the two swordsmen to fall also had a special blade... infused with the same sort of magic as the "Cleric's," though longer.

In addition, you find 300 GP between them. Upon close inspection, it appears to be of a foreign design, with slight differences between the local currency

Johnathon:
You recognize this as the same style of currency you've found before

All
Your haul amounts to:
+1 Longsword
+1 Short Sword
Silkslick Belt (Improves Escape Artist stuff... PM me for details)

Ascension
2008-11-10, 10:52 PM
Grug picks up one of the coins and inspects it closely. He spits on it to be sure.

"Thought so. I've seen this sort of currency before. We raided a trade caravan coming down from the north. When we interrogated one of the survivors he said they were from some city called Seanarin way up northaways. I guess they minted the coins up there. Funny thing about 'em is, liquids slide right off of 'em like water off the feathers of a duck. Chief wanted us to make him some waterproof armor from them, but there weren't enough trade caravans from Seanarin to manage it. We only got as far as short pants, and he didn't like their fit. A blacksmith got strung up 'cause of that."

He drops the coin on the floor.

"I never did much like taking money off of the dead. Only mercenaries fight for money."

He picks up the longsword instead and tests its balance. He is pleased with the results.

"If you take up a fallen warrior's weapon, though, you do lasting honor to him by wielding it in his memory. He fights on through it."

He holds the sword, hilt first, out to the rest of the group.

"Who here thinks this man fought well? Who would do him honor?"

knewsom
2008-11-11, 12:19 AM
Remus strode over to the top half of the fallen spellcaster and removed the cloak still draped over the disembodied shoulders.

If it could help defend him, perhaps it could help defend me. He thought to himself.

Walking back towards the others, he picked up the pouch of gold.

"Well, I have no problem taking from the dead. They have no use for it, and but for our skill we would be lying their instead. I am not an unfair man, if you others are of like mind as myself, I will share the gold with you."

RebelRogue
2008-11-11, 03:06 AM
Will Pickman

Looking over the belongings of the dead men, Will quickly turns his attention to the slippery belt. Within a few seconds he's sitting on the floor playing with the thing, oblivious to what's going on around him.

TheBlackDog
2008-11-11, 04:00 AM
Lily

Lily stares up at the sword Grug is holding. It's almost as long as she is tall.

"I don't think I can honor anyone with that. Besides, I don't think they really deserve the honor we would give them. They were not nice people." She turns to Remus. "But I will accept your offer and take some of the gold."

As she talks, Lily glances over at Nis. I hope she's okay. It doesn't seem like she's comfortable with killing like this.

Ascension
2008-11-11, 06:36 AM
"Hmph. Well, I suppose as long as I sell the sword to one who will use it then it does not matter that I profit from the slain..."

Terraspaz
2008-11-11, 10:08 PM
From upstairs, you hear Tyrio's shaky voice mumble

"Is... I-Is everyone alright down there?"

AetherFox
2008-11-11, 10:26 PM
Nis'Amain Fisthal

Nis'Amain looks around at the gruesome marks of the battle around them.
"Y-yes, we're all right down here."
She tunrs towards the others, "Are any of you hurt from the fight?"

knewsom
2008-11-12, 01:08 AM
Remus sighed and looked reluctantly to Nis, pointing out his grievous wounds. He didn't like to admit it, but being healed always left him feeling like he was in the healer's debt, one of his least favorite emotions.

"Yes, I suppose I could use the aid of a healer."

Ascension
2008-11-12, 01:51 AM
"You already saved my hide, lass. Thank you," Grug says.

TheBlackDog
2008-11-12, 02:06 PM
Lily

Lily walks over to Will, and taps him on the shoulder.
"I'm sorry, I don't think we've met. I don't even remember seeing you before the fight started. Who are you?"

RebelRogue
2008-11-13, 02:39 AM
Will Pickman

Having somehow hoped he could avoid this awkward conversation, Will gets to his feet again. Well, I'm a friend of Davin's..., he tells Lily, eyes looking at the ground. Or actually, he was my teacher. I'm very sad to see what happened to him up there! I suppose you all knew him too.

AetherFox
2008-11-13, 03:56 PM
Nis'Amain Fisthal

Nis touches Remus on the shoulder and concentrates on sealing the wounds.

Cure Moderate Wounds (X2) [roll0]

TheBlackDog
2008-11-13, 06:16 PM
Lily

Lily replies to Will, "I think so. I've met Davin, and I think everyone else is connected to him somehow, but I don't really know for sure. I haven't met some of them before today."

knewsom
2008-11-13, 06:32 PM
Remus breathed deeply, testing out the newly healed wounds... He nodded stiffly.

"My thanks."

Turning to Lilly and Will, "Another child? Or are you a halfling? I knew Davin. Owed him a favor, now its repaid with vengeance."

RebelRogue
2008-11-14, 05:37 AM
Will Pickman

A little disturbed about being adressed directly by the mountain of a man that is Remus, Will replies: I turned thirty-one just a few months ago. To some, I guess that would mean I'm still a child... But yes, I am what you big folks refer to as a halfling.

Ascension
2008-11-14, 10:00 AM
"We should finish searching this level," Grug suggests, "There may still be more of them, or at least more evidence. If we find nothing, then I suggest we head north, towards Seanarin. While the brigands could have come about the coins by another method, trade is infrequent along the road to the north. I would say it is more likely they are simply from the area."

Terraspaz
2008-11-14, 12:55 PM
Johnathan Crowley
"...That doesn't look right..." Almost in response to Grug's suggestion, John peers in the leftmost room, and takes a few steps inside. Unlike the carnage in the surrounding rooms, this room is well organized, though very dusty. Cobwebs dominate the corners of the rooms, though most appear uninhabited. A bookshelf in front of you seems packed full of books and scrolls, though John, Grug, Lily, and Remus note a glaring gap in the case, where a book may've fit once before. In addition, the gap has little dust on it, indicating that something once sat there, not long ago.

Lily
You also notice that the covers of the books on either side of that gap are falling apart much more quickly than the rest on the shelf. Black and scarred, those covers look to have been exposed to a negative power for some time.

TheBlackDog
2008-11-14, 02:43 PM
Lily

Lily smiles at Will. "Well, good to meet you then."

She stands up and looks up at the bookshelf Jonathan is examining. She points up at the books that are on either side of the gap in the shelf.
"Those books are falling apart. I think something was...I don't know, ripping them apart with negative energy. Whatever that book was about, it wasn't normal."

RebelRogue
2008-11-17, 07:21 AM
Will Pickman

Intrigued by the peculiar bookshelf, Will carefully walks closer to it to inspect it.

I want to do a search check, but MythWeavers are updating right now and I forgot this particular stat, so I'll just take a rough guess: [roll0]

Edit: so it was only +11. I hope that doesn't change too much retroactively :smallwink:

Terraspaz
2008-11-17, 08:27 AM
Will
Moving in to examine the bookcase, you notice that most of these tomes are covered in thick dust, proof that they'd not been used for a great length of time. You're able to make out a few of the titles from the array:

--"The Many Dialects of Infernal"
--"Planar travel to the Abyss"
--"The Hand and the Eye"
--"Poisons and Curses of the Southern Hemisphere"

While the other titles would require removal, and much closer examination to glean their titles, their dark, and seemingly jagged appearance suggests similar content. You also notice the same negative energy scarring on either side of the gap in the bookcase. This scarring doesn't seem to be present anywhere else on the shelves.

RebelRogue
2008-11-17, 09:08 AM
Will Pickman

Those titles sound bad! And they've been here for a long time. What are such tomes doing in a Pelorian church? Will looks in Nis's direction, looking slightly disturbed. Surely, Davin must have kept these evil books for a reason, right?

Ascension
2008-11-17, 11:21 AM
Rolling Bardic Knowledge and Knowledge: History to see if I've heard of Malconvokers, and/or the Pelor-is-really-evil rumor. Because the first would be helpful and the second would be funny.

Bardic: [roll0]
History: [roll1]

knewsom
2008-11-17, 02:42 PM
Though the massive warrior could not read, he understood that books contained information. What he didn't understand is how information could in and of itself be evil. He raised an eyebrow.

"Evil books? What makes them evil?"

Terraspaz
2008-11-17, 10:49 PM
Grug
You've heard of such a thing as Malconvokers before, enough to know about their manipulative use of summoning, and their ties to planar battles. Unfortunately, all you know of are broad stories, nothing specific, and certainly none alive now.

You're relatively certain Pelor is not evil.

Ascension
2008-11-17, 11:08 PM
"I've heard some stories of magicians of the past who could summon dark spirits for good purposes," Grug says, "but that's all they are... old stories. I'm fairly certain no one does that anymore. Too dangerous."

TheBlackDog
2008-11-18, 12:16 AM
Lily

Lily looks up at Remus and answers. "Some of the titles of those books might be about bad things, but that doesn't really make them bad. But whatever book was taken from there was actually giving off negative energy. That's bad no matter what the book was about."

RebelRogue
2008-11-18, 05:39 AM
Will Pickman

Well, they sound evil to me, Will shrugs. After a moment of thought, he turns his attention to the books again and begins concentrating.

I use my Detect Magic to check the books and the immediate surroundings. If possible, I use the full three rounds necessary to get full info. If appropriate (for determining magic school), my Spellcraft roll is [roll0]

Terraspaz
2008-11-18, 08:32 AM
Will
Carefully looking around the room, your eyes search for any glimmer of that precious magical aura. Indeed, you find several around each of your companions, mostly of the enchantment aura.

In addition, you find auras of necromancy around a couple scraps on the floor.
Nis
Went ahead and rolled spellcraft for everyone... Nis, you recognize these two scraps as scrolls of animate dead

Terraspaz
2008-11-19, 08:29 AM
After taking a careful look at the bookcase, particularly the gap, Johnathan stands erect, and proudly proclaims "Well, it's certainly a good thing I happened to be here. Ladies, Gentlemen, what we are dealing with is something far beyond your garden variety sinister object. Indeed, I would not be surprised if the very essence of life could come in contact with an evil of this magnitude. My experience with the occult, and all things sinister have given me that clear, unique insight as to what we are dealing with. However..." He stops at looks intently at the bookcase.

"While I know the nature of the book they took, I do not know what it is, or why they have taken it. If we are to have any hope of reclaiming this tome, we need to understand why it was taken. I will return to my personal library, and bury myself in research to discover what it is they have taken. Anyone who still bears intrest in reclaiming this book, if not for the memory of Davin, then for yourselves, I suggest you head out after our other assailaints.

He turns back to the rest of you.

"After all, I find it hard to believe that those four rubes had the ability to cause the carnage seen upstairs. No, there were others... I'm certain of it."

AetherFox
2008-11-19, 02:53 PM
Nis'Amain Fisthal

"Very well. We should take caution, though." Nis motions to the scrolls, "Anything that can make the dead rise is not to be tampered with."

TheBlackDog
2008-11-24, 10:14 PM
Lily

As she listens and nods, Lily thinks. Dead rise? This sounds worse and worse. We should hurry and find out what's going on.

She reaches up and tugs on Nis's arm. "Lets go quickly. If there are other people like Jonathan says, we should find them."

Ascension
2008-11-24, 10:30 PM
"Go where?" Grug asks, "North?"

Terraspaz
2008-11-24, 10:33 PM
Reaching the now-battered front door of this temple, you find a somewhat calmer Tyrio talking to a small squad of town guard just outside. The guards warily eye you, before Tyrio waves them onward, passing you beside the altar where he once lay.

As you all exit the temple, you find a large throng of people have gathered outside. Most stand watching in wonder, but a few small pockets of people are huddled together in sorrow. Weeps and moans fill the air as the sun sets low in the sky. The heat of the summer months simmers in the air, pressing down on your skins, sweat-covered from combat. Johnathon solemnly nods, as he turns opposite from you, and stoicly walks away towards his home. His very stride exudes a dark sense of confidence, and curiosity. The sun at his back, he marches onward, following his shadow until he disappears from sight.

The tragic city of Woodinale behind, you stare off northward across the plains. What was it the killers sought? What brought them to this small town? What is it, truly, your newfound companions seek? These questions sit in your mind, as the sun caps the horizon.

All PC's gain a level

Ascension
2008-11-24, 11:44 PM
"And so we trek northward, with nothing more to aid our search for the evil than a pile of coins looted from a corpse," Grug summarizes, "Lovely."

Terraspaz
2008-11-25, 11:11 AM
Several days pass by, as you put distance between yourselves and Woodinale. As each successive night passes, you notice a deep, warming, red glow off in the distance. As you get closer, you see that it is an entire mountain that's aglow.

Grug

You've heard of a small farming community over in this area, by the name of Papfara. Before you left the Tribe you'd caught rumors of some sort of trouble in the area, but nothing in detail.

Judging by the size of the mountain on the horizon, it is between two and three days away.

Ascension
2008-11-25, 11:30 AM
Grug states the obvious, "That's not good."

He proceeds to the somewhat less obvious, "There's a little farming community near here, name of Papfara. I heard they were having some trouble, but I didn't expect anything like a glowing mountain... We'd best ask around town, when we reach it, and find out if any of the natives... if they haven't already fled in terror... know anything about what may have caused this."

knewsom
2008-11-25, 10:33 PM
Remus moved quickly and nimbly for such a large man, and the rigors of such a journey hardly even showed a glint of sweat on his brow. Clearly he felt Davin was well avenged already, but whatever his reasons for continuing with the others, he kept them to himself.

He nodded to Grug.

"Surely there's foul magics afoot. As insufferable as that bookworm Jonathan was, his knowledge might actually be useful about now."

Ascension
2008-11-26, 12:13 AM
"People can be even more informative than books, and they're more easily accessible. All we need is a town, and I can find out whatever we need," Grug boasts.

Terraspaz
2008-11-28, 01:49 AM
As you trod onward, the solitary mountain grows in view, though still days away. Continuing to march, you notice a small speck in the distance - a speck that materializes into a small town, the closer you get to it.

Days away, you see several ranches, each hosting goats munching delightfully on the wild grass that grows in this region. Fenceless and open, the only structures you see are the occassional stable and well. Aside from a few houses dotting the countryside, most of the people appear to live in the village ahead.

Now less than an hour away, the town of Papfara lies before you, with the mountain looming in the background. In the daylight, you're not certain if the mountain is glowing once more, or if it's merely the natural reflection of the red stone in the morning sun.

Ascension
2008-11-28, 08:48 AM
"Even in the shadow of a glowing mountain, their lives go on," Grug says of the villagers, "Good on them. Can't let a bit of magic stop you from going about your business. Not when you have a family to feed."

knewsom
2008-11-28, 12:46 PM
The massive warrior's thickly corded muscles pulsed quickly as he scoffed.

"Fools. The should either destroy it before it destroys them or flee."

AetherFox
2008-11-28, 01:13 PM
"Really? And how do you destroy a mountain?"
Nis'Amain stares transfixed at the mountain, thinking.

knewsom
2008-11-28, 01:52 PM
Remus' eyes narrowed.

"Make no mistake. Behind this mountain, there is but a man."

Ascension
2008-11-28, 03:13 PM
"Be that as it may, we hunt men, not mountains. Unless this strange occurrence is related to the attack on the temple, we have no reason to concern ourselves with it."

Terraspaz
2008-11-28, 06:49 PM
Lily, Nis, Will
Overhead, you notice a crow flying above the town, soaring in great wide circles. Will, you notice that the bird is almost flying much better than the garden-variety crows you've seen. Perhaps it is from the updrafts created by the campfire below, but perhaps not.

As you cross over the last hill before the town, you notice a great many townsfolk assembled around a blaze in the center of town. A man in deep blue robes stands in front of the fire, the focus of everyone's attention.

Ascension
2008-11-28, 09:58 PM
Grug walks up to a villager at the periphery of the crowd around the bonfire and attempts to ask politely what all the commotion is about.

Gather Information: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]

Terraspaz
2008-11-28, 11:30 PM
"Y'must b'outsiders... see tha' fella up there talkin'? 'Is son was killed last week. Poor kid took off towards Mt. Blaze, for 'is Passage, 'n' ne'er returned."

Noting your blank stares, the villager continues "'Round 'ere, when a lad reached th'age of 15, he journeyed up t'Mt. Blaze, 'n' spent a night there, alone. Th'point was t'teach th'fellas self-reliance, so they could better become men. Generations of us 'ave made our Passage from boy t'man, since as long as any of us kin remember... But since this lad, 'n' th'one before 'im both disappeared... we dun send any t'th'mountain anymore. We tried sendin' teams up after 'em, but they kept gettin' b'felt by accidents... collapses, rock slides... some think it's th'mountain itself attackin' us."

Sighing heavily, he turns his attention back to the speaker. "I'm just a farmer, though... if y'really want t'know 'bout wha's been goin' on, there's th'man t'ask." He nods towards the robed figure. The bright fire behind him, you distinguish him as a half-elf, not far removed from his youth. Green symbols are imprinted on the shoulders of his robes.

Nis, Grug
You recognize these as symbols of Obad-Hai

Ascension
2008-11-29, 01:12 AM
"Yes, we'll speak with him..." Grug replies, "once he's finished with his current diatribe, at least..."

knewsom
2008-11-29, 04:06 PM
Remus stood quietly, observing and listening. Better to let those with a smooth tongue do the talking, though, for a man the size of an Orc, it was difficult to go unnoticed.

Terraspaz
2008-11-30, 04:10 PM
"...remind you all, that he fell not for frivolity or acts of foolishness... he sought to stoke that inner fire within all youth, to prove himself more than a child in the eyes of us all. It took courage to journey where he knew well there was danger, courage that we should be proud came from Papfara. So let us not mourn the loss of one of our own... let us remember his fire, drive, and bravery that he so bluntly showed us all. I ask that you please keep a candle lit in your windows tonight, for as we could not find his body, his spirit might still find his way beyond by the light of our village. Let our fires be a guide for his. ...Thank you."

The crowd begins to disperse, as the figure ahead catches you all in his eye. He makes his way through the thinning figure towards you, and offers a slight bow. He then speaks in a hushed whisper.

"Hello travelers. My name is Ben Coulomb, leader of this village. I apologize for being blunt, but have you seen a youth with short brown hair outside this village in the last three days?"

RebelRogue
2008-12-01, 10:57 AM
Will Pickman

Feeling overwhelmed by all these strange sensations, Will keeps close to his new friends. As response to Ben's question he silently shakes his head.

Ascension
2008-12-01, 12:54 PM
"No, I'm afraid we have not," Grug replies.

"I shall be equally blunt... have you seen a band of murderers traveling northwards in the past few days? Or any other armed group, for that matter. We're a posse on the trail of a group of dangerous criminals."

After a pause, he adds, "And if you would be so kind as to explain the glowing mountain, we would be interested in that information as well."

Diplomacy: [roll0]
Gather Info: [roll1]

Terraspaz
2008-12-01, 10:33 PM
Ben's eyes marginally widen, as he nods. "Of course, of course. Let's head somewhere more discreet, however." The half-elf motions you all to follow him, and leads you to a large hut made entirely of dirt and clay, capped with a roof made from woven grass. Windowless and doorless, the hut instead hosts a large opening in the mound to enter through.

Taking a seat toward the back, Ben speaks "Now then, I can't say I've seen anyone who'd fit the bill as murderers. Truthfully, you five are the only foreigners we've seen in quite some time. ...Though if there are murderers in the area... " Ben looks to the side, sighing. "We'll, we've already lost two in the last month, I don't know how we would fare if we were to lose still more."

"As for Mt. Blaze... that's quite a story. You seem puzzled by the lumination of the mountain. Until very recently, it has been a long standing tradition in our village to send our boys to the caverns of Mt. Blaze when they near the age of manhood. It's a trial known here as the Passage. While it symbolizes the passage from boyhood to manhood, and lets the boy reflect on his journey in life, it does more than that. The mountain... changes them. Most of the time the changes are slight - the boy returns a bit taller, stronger, perhaps with a more keen sense of things... but on rare occasion... the child becomes something more, entirely."

Ben uncorks a bottle of a dark, odorus brown liquid, and pours it into a large bowl as he continues. "The child develops powers... not unlike those of the magicians from the larger cities. He can see the unseen, conjure fire from vapor, move himself great distances at alarming speeds... things that most of us here only dream of. In a single night, the mountain bequeaths such powers to the child... but it does not occur with subtlety."

Ben takes a large drink from the bowl, before continuing. "Normally when a child journeys to the mountain, it has a faint, but present glow to it, as if the hill is welcoming the child inside, offering him shelter for the night. However, on the nights of children that receive these special gifts, the hill glows a bright red, much like you see this evening. Three weeks ago, a child travelled to complete his Passage. That night, the mountain glowed the brightest it ever had, rivaling the glow of the full moon, even! Ah, we were so enthralled, and overjoyed. For surely the child would return, with talents so great that our village would prosper beyond any time before!

"...But the child did not return the next morning... and at night, the mountain continued to glow. For weeks it glowed... and the child never returned. We sent searchers to Mt. Blaze, but they found no trace of the boy. Instead, they found animals very unnatural to this land, who struck at our party, killing four of us. It's by fortune alone the three of us escaped. We stopped the Passage until we could see that the Mountain was safe again... but that didn't stop the child for whom you saw the pyre outside."

Ben raises the end of the bowl, emptying the remaining liquid in his mouth with a sort of reverence.

Ascension
2008-12-01, 11:16 PM
Grug tries to choose his words carefully for fear of offending Coulomb.

"Have you considered the possibility... now, I'm just throwing out an idea here, it may very well not be true... but have you considered the possibility that the beasts you encountered, well... were the child? Or something created by the child? I have seen magic do many strange things in my time... many strange things indeed. I hate to say it, but the boy may be unrecognizable to you now."

Terraspaz
2008-12-01, 11:24 PM
"No. It's not him. The boy would not attack his own... of this I'm certain. What cause would he have? Why strike at us? No... there is no possibility the child turned into those... things." Ben speaks with a firm sense of conviction.

Ascension
2008-12-01, 11:39 PM
Grug is not so convinced, but he knows not to push the point.

"Can you describe the beasts?" he asks.

Terraspaz
2008-12-01, 11:55 PM
"Fur-covered, they walked on all four legs. The smaller ones were black, while the larger ones were brown. With crushing teeth and powerful claws... they were very fierce. We saw about six of them."

Ascension
2008-12-02, 12:04 AM
"Mmhmm... troubling. One more question... have you had any undead activity in the area recently? We have reason to believe the criminals we're pursuing may be allied with at least one necromancer."

Grug realizes how this sounds, and tries to give the situation a bit more of a positive spin.

"But if they really haven't passed through here, there's no reason to think they will in the future. Their attack on the Temple of Pelor was a targeted assault with a definite target... they don't seem to indulge in random carnage."

Grug's gaze drifts to the unusual mountain towering above the village.

"The only thing they could possibly want you for is that mountain... and the power it represents..."

Terraspaz
2008-12-02, 11:32 AM
"You mean the bones of once-people rising from the ground on their own? No... we haven't had any of that as I remember."

"You don't think they were responsible for the children's deaths, do you?"

Ascension
2008-12-04, 02:03 PM
"I should hope not, but I'm afraid I can't guarantee that they aren't involved," Grug admits, "Perhaps you should let us investigate the situation in order to be sure."

Terraspaz
2008-12-04, 03:11 PM
"Well, I certainly won't stop you," Ben says. "If you'd like to rest your feet for the night, feel free to stay here. It's a little cramped with the five of you, but it beats outside, and the price is right."

AetherFox
2008-12-04, 09:50 PM
Having been quiet most of the converation, Nis speaks up.
"Don't worry Ben, we'll do our best to find the boy. Whatever creatuers they may be, we're more than a match for them."

Terraspaz
2008-12-04, 10:35 PM
"I do hope so, ma'am. Haven't had visitors to the village for ages, and you did say you came here because of the mountain's glow... I wonder if the mountain brought you here..." Ben withdraws into a small room of the hut, leaving the five of you in the large room by yourselves.

Should you choose to stay here the night, there are dirty, albeit warm blankets and cushions around the room to bed for the night.

Should you choose to depart at once, the "door" is on your right.

Ascension
2008-12-05, 12:50 AM
"Thank you for offering us lodging," Grug says to their host as he departs.

Terraspaz
2008-12-05, 10:08 AM
As the sun slips below the horizon, the five of you find space in the cramped room for the night. It becomes clear that the blankets and cushions are both meant to soften the ground, as the temperature doesn't drop very far during the night. The night passes without much incident.

Nis
In your dreams during the night...
You've obtained the ability to fly. Effortlessly, you drift along the currents of wind, sailing through the air with ease. Spinning, rising, falling, you soar along in blissful freedom, speeding through the clear night sky. Though the moon is completely shadowed, your surroundings are easy to see, by the light of a star, brightly shining in the sky, seeming to dwarf all the rest. You begin to contemplate why that new light is in the sky, when you notice black clouds beginning to manifest all around you. Dropping below the haze to better see, you discover that the clouds extend as far as you can see. You hear the crackle of electricity arc across the air, and think it best to descend to the ground. Before you can act, though, the clouds flash a dark green in unison, and then begin to rain fireballs down on the ground below. Barely dodging each inferno as it blazes past you, you see several villages, and even some cities crushed by the raining death. A fireball catches you in the back, and drives you down towards the ground. You struggle to escape as you plumment toward a bright red glowing area on the ground...

Lily
In your dreams during the night...
You've become the queen of a vast kingdom. All around stoop and submit to your every whim, desire, and fancy. You ask for a brownie sandwich, and within moments, receive a piece of chocolate fudge covered with vanilla frosting, packed between two warm, gooey brownies. You prepare your next declaration, when a messenger in tattered clothes bursts through the door. "They've broken through the wall! They're here! They're here," the man cries before falling to the ground, and shattering to dust. Your guards run to the balcony, with you hot on their heels. You reach the platform overlooking most of the city, and gasp in horror as an endless wave of gray streams in towards the castle. Screams of anguish fill the air as the hordes draw ever nearer to you. You hear a metallic <shink>, and turn to find your two guards nothing more than walking piles of bones, with the look of death in their eyes. They draw their blades, and advance towards you...

The next morning, you are awoken by the delicious smell of cooking sausage, wafting in from the next room. "Hope you folks are hungry!", Ben calls out.

knewsom
2008-12-05, 12:57 PM
As the massive warrior rose from sleep, the deep growl emanating from his gullet said all he needed to say.

AetherFox
2008-12-05, 03:30 PM
"Ahhh!!"

Nis bolts awake, looking around fantically, slowly realizing it was only a dream. Slightly more composed, she says to Ben,
"Um, yes. Thanks."

Terraspaz
2008-12-05, 03:45 PM
"You look a bit pale, ma'am. Here, have some breakfast." Ben presents you, and the rest of the party wooden plates filled with sausage, fried tomatoes, and potato skins. You notice a distinct absence of utensils, and judging by Ben's demeanor, you gather that this is normal.

knewsom
2008-12-07, 06:44 PM
Remus gladly eats the delicious sausage, potato skins and tomatoes, reserving some extras for the patiently (though clearly hungrily) awaiting Rotweiller. Once he had finished, he tossed the leftovers to Dain and scratched his ears.

Ascension
2008-12-07, 08:03 PM
Grug thanks Ben for the food and tears eagerly into his breakfast.

RebelRogue
2008-12-08, 07:38 AM
William Pickman

While carefully eating the rustic breakfast, in order not to grease himself up too much, Will looks up at the orcish bard. So Grug... you really think we have to go to that glowing mountain? I... can't say I'm too thrilled at the thought! He looks down again for a few seconds. But I guess you're right: It is the right thing to do.

Ascension
2008-12-08, 07:43 AM
"We need to investigate at least deeply enough to confirm that the organization that attacked the temple is not involved in these shenanigans. You will agree, I hope, that letting them take over a mountain that grants magical powers would be a bad idea."

RebelRogue
2008-12-08, 08:19 AM
Will Pickman

Will silently nods, while finishing the last of his breakfast. I suppose we ought to get read ready, then!, he sighs as he rises and begins checking up on his adventuring gear.

Terraspaz
2008-12-08, 10:19 PM
Polishing down a hearty, if very fattening breakfast, the five of you collect your affects, and set out, thanking Ben for his hospitality.

The morning dawn is hot... more than ever, you notice the lack of shade from trees, as the sun beats down on you. You tread on towards Mt. Blaze, and notice a surprising patch of crops as you head towards the mountain. Potatoes, corn, wheat, and a variety of other vegetables grow bright and fresh here. This is quite a shock, considering the mostly barren land around, barring the stalks of dry grass littering the horizon.

You get even nearer to the mountain, and notice similar patches of crops, with one distinct difference... the plants are bigger. The corn stalks are about 2 feet taller, the potatoes weigh a couple extra pounds, the tomatoes appear to be bursting with flavor. As you consider what sort of feast can be made from these crops, you see a horse-riding figure, from several hundred yards away. He notices you, and waves, calling out to you. He turns his horse from heading towards the mountain, (now mere hours away,) and starts trotting towards you.

a dark, beastly stranger a quarter mile off, headed in the same direction as you.

RebelRogue
2008-12-08, 10:42 PM
Will Pickman

Looking at the unnaturally vigorous crops, Will is about to consider using his gifts to scan the plants for magic: Could these possibly be infused with excess positive energy? However, before he gets that far, the party notices the mysterious rider. Squinting his eyes, Will tries to get a better look at him.

Spot check [roll0]

Terraspaz
2008-12-08, 11:14 PM
The stranger boasts a short, curly beard, which offers only the slightest contrast against his dark skin.

Ascension
2008-12-08, 11:56 PM
"I don't like the looks of this... and we were warned this area is dangerous."

Grug strings up his composite longbow. It is far from his favorite weapon, but range will be of the essence here. He'll get ready to fire as soon as the target comes within bowshot and he will keep firing until the rider closes to within forty feet.

lostsole31
2008-12-09, 12:22 AM
Rolling a Spot check ...

[roll0]

The mounted warrior was moving at a fast trot, as if to intercept - though making his intentions unknown. Upon seeing a bow trained on him from the massively muscled orc, the warrior slows. The lance he was holding in an easy, raised position is now crossed over his left shield arm perpendicular to his line of travel ... making it appear that it would take some effort to get it back into a "battleready" position.

Unless hostilities at such a great range are started ...

The mounted warrior stops about 75 yards away from the party (225'). He (slowly, non-threateningly) raises his lance and spreads his shield outward, and shouts something to the party. In the lower alpine meadow, sound carries (relatively, he's still a distance away) easily, and anyone who makes a DC 10 Listen check hears him shout in a firm and strong voice:

"Peace be to those who respect the land! My apathy to those who do not. My shaft through those who would defile it!"

Even from this distance, however, detail is not necessary to see that this is far from a knight-errant of a chivalrous domain. A dark, pointed, curly beard juts out from underneath a full-helmet that only shows the mouth and chin. The helmet itself appears to be the head of some manner of ferocious yet colorful great cat which he wears around his own head.

Knowledge (Nature DC 14) to recognize the likeness of this "helm" as a tiger, a very powerful solitary predator, and one of the largest non-dire great cats.

He wears a suit of armor that covers him as fully as any metal plate armor, but at this distance it is as if he is wrapped within a tree. The inside part of his shield (when he waved it with his shield arm showing) is a deep, black wood, but the shield itself is colored in a patterning and design that none of you have likely ever seen before. A pattern on the shield is repeated on the breastplate of his armor ...

If your PC can has both of the following ... Spot DC 20 to be able to see the required detail on the shield or breastplate, followed by a Knowledge (religion) DC 15 ... success reveals that - while there appears to be additional patterning on the shield - this warrior must be a worshipper of the goddess Lyris, a neutral deity of fate and victory.

The lance he carries looks impressive and daunting even from this distance. The horse he rides is a light warhorse, a destrier of some sort, that is colored a very dark brown with black main and fetlocks, but otherwise is not a breed of horse from this area. The destrier is wearing studded leather barding.

The warrior, who himself appears to be a squat fireplug of a man (a little short and very stout) readies his shield again, and raises his lance back into a 'rest' position and sits atop his horse, seemingly awaiting some manner of reply or response.

knewsom
2008-12-09, 12:50 AM
Remus squinted at the rider and chuckled at Grug.

"What are you so worried about? What's he going to do to us? I could cut his HORSE in half."

spot check: [roll0]

RebelRogue
2008-12-09, 01:22 AM
Will moves behind his larger teammates to hide. Looking out behind Grug, he whispers He has some peculiar patterns in his shield and breastplate, but I have no idea what they mean.

Checking Will's impression of the man's intentions: Sense Motive [roll0]

Ascension
2008-12-09, 08:42 AM
"It could be a trap... but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to let him get a little closer."

Grug lowers his bow, though he keeps it at the ready, just in case.

Terraspaz
2008-12-09, 09:08 AM
Remus
Yep. There's a guy on a horse there.

lostsole31
2008-12-09, 12:45 PM
With the orc lowering the bow, the rider advances at a moderate walk (not trot) to a distance of 30 feet from the party (unless halted earlier), and then holds his position.

The man ...
His hands and his chin (his neck is covered by a bevor) are all that are visible of his body, the rest covered in armor. His skin is a deep, dark brown - almost black, though his palms are more of a beige color. Hopefully, the rumors of a human race that turned from the path of light and grew dark in the process - an allegory mirrored in the more famous stories of the elves and the drow - are just that, rumor. Looking at a hunting cat's face and eyes is disconcerting. What doesn't help the rumors being closer to reality is that one might notice that his hands sport very thick, sharp-looking claws.

The armor ...
He wears an extremely well-crafted, armored suit of . . . . wood? Every plate, link, joint, and stud are made of some manner of medium-hued wood. It appears to be just as fully-encompassing as any knight's suit of full plate armor. The religious symbol is now easily visible to those that did not see it before. The armor is outfitted with riding straps with quick release knots to help stabilize his balance when riding.
Lyris is not one of the "common" gods - DC 12 normally to ID - and this particular variation of the holy symbol is a more naturalistic sect, so DC 15.

Weapons ...

His lance is obviously very well-made, though made of a mahogany-type wood and containing a wicked, tri-cross section wedged point of steel.
A warhammer, adorned with all manner of etchings (including the same symbol found on his armor and shield, with various abstract and natural motifs) hangs from his right side.
A composite shortbow lies strapped to his saddlebags. The center grip is made of a medium slate gray leather with large wrinkle patterns, and both extensions of the bow are a strange, spiral type of horn. [K (Nature) DC 13 will identify it as gazelle horn.] Fully three quivers hang from the saddlebags. Each quiver has different fletching on its set of arrows.

The horse ...

From the time he stepped forward to greet you, through his walk to you, and to the means by which he stopped, not a single command was given by the rider. In fact, the cavalier did not even appear to shift his knees, verbalize, or give any other command.

The horse, beyond what has been mentioned before, seems to be a particularly hardy specimen of light warhorse. The studded leather is that only in name. It is a thick, gray-wrinkled leather that is "studded" with all manner of attractive metal adornments and small chains. The horse's under-blanket also is very decorative. There is no doubt that this man comes from a culture wherein the horse is treated as more of a devoted companion than trained beast.

He takes the thumb of his lance-hand and raises his tiger-helm to reveal his face ...

His hair - when you end up seeing it, is black as pitch, short, and comprised of extremely tight curls - probably tighter than any of you have ever seen.
At first, one might have thought his chin to be painted to complete the fearsome visage of the hunting-cat helm. You are taken aback to see that his entire face is nearly black in color. His beard is cut relatively close to his face, except where it extends to a point at his chin, and comprised of the same extremely tight curls as his head hair.

What really gets you are his eyes. It is not the color . . . you have all probably seen "black" eyes before where a brown iris is so dark it appears black. No, it is a quality of ferocity that makes one wonder: Is this a man that has descended into beasthood yet mocks a knight of the realm in form? or a beast given semblance of man?

One thing is certain ... he is Nature's answer to the heavy, slow, oafish, ironmongery of more civilized chevaliers.

In a display of skill (and to show respect to you that you might be worthy of it) he sidesteps the horse and then piaffes effortlessly. (A piaffe is when the horse spins in a circle with a center axis at the midpoint of its body.)

"I am Kioi (KEE-OY, no accent) of the Tsimehetiy Tribe!" he shouts. "I travel far to investigate the fiery mountain and determine whether the source be foul or fair."

He looks curiously at the orc, then at Remus. "This path leads to the mountain, and little else. You and your wife appear hale, hearty, and well-equipped, but this is may be a poor place to take your son and daughter there."

This last he says, acknowledging Lily and Will, though he seems curious as in his ride forward he has lost track of the "young boy."

Will didn't roll a Hide check, and Kioi saw that he went behind Remus, but just in case his statement to Hide requires a Spot roll...[roll0]

knewsom
2008-12-09, 01:17 PM
The massive warrior's face twisted in confusion for a brief moment, before his thick black sideburns turned upward in a smiling chuckle that seemed to rumble deeply from the mountain itself.

"Wife...? I think he means you, Grug! Wife! Hah Hah, ohh, heh... well met Kioi, we too are here to investigate the mountain. I am Remus, son of Rutger... Grug here is - thankfully - not my wife, but an Orcish Bard of renowned skill. These are not my children - thankfully - but only one of them is a child, and she decided to accompany us despite any warnings. The other... is a halfling."

lostsole31
2008-12-09, 03:35 PM
Kioi looks at Grug with an amused laugh and chuckles, building to a laugh, building to a full laugh (laughs where "..." appear in following, with trouble keeping breath, with tears building): "You .... you ..... you thought ... you thought I meant the orc?" He guffaws at this point, barely keeping balance on his saddle, and he proves that even a man with so dark a face can turn a peculiar shade of red.

"No, no, .... no .... no .... .... .... .... ... I meant the beautiful, armored lady ... that is your traveling companion! HAHAHAAHAHAAHA!!" He nods, as best as his laughing-spastic body will allow, at Nis'Amain. [She is there, isn't she?]

He dismounts, rests his lance on the ground by his horse. "Rest easy, Ihsan." He says quietly to his steed, and advances with open hand, trying to keep his claws from seeming to threatening.

"Well met, indeed, Remus, son of Rutger. And you, Mrs. Remus," he says, chuckling to Grug. "Not a wife, yet, eh? Well, I hope you won't make this fine man wait too long!"

As he speaks this last line, he stops his approach and his voice goes up high as he is fighting with breath to get that line out and that practically breaks down, holding his side with his right hand he is hurting so much. Unless something dramatic happens, he will probably laugh for two minutes easily.
:redcloak: