PDA

View Full Version : Storm's coming in...[PrC, PEACH?]

String
2008-10-08, 08:52 PM
Hey, I wrote up this prestige class for the Lords Of Creation worldbuilding project, and I'm still unsure of it's balance, so I thought I'd shoot it over here and see what ya'll think. Khakom is the CN diety of Storms, and Chaos, and the Patron of Barbarians, Seafarers and the like. The name of the prestige class is subject to change. As you can see, I drew very heavily from the Stormlord and Stormcaster PrC's (CoDiv and Stormwrack, respectively). Still working on the fluff, unfortunately.

StormKing

Hit Dice
d8

Requirements
To become a Stormking, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Deity: Khakom
Alignment: Nonlawful
Skill: Knowledge (Nature) or Knowledge (Religion) 4 ranks
Feats: Weapon Focus (caman, club or any mace)
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast divine spells of 3rd level or above.
Special: Must have been struck by lightning, either magical or mundane, and survived.

Class skills
The Stormking’s class skills (and the key ability for each skills) are: Concentration (Con), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points per Level
2 + Int modifier

{TABLE="Table 1-1 Stormking"] Level| Base Attack Bonus | Fortitude | Reflex | Will | Special Abilities | Spellcasting
1|+0| +2 | +2| +0|Storm Spell Power| -
2|+1|+3|+3|+0|Shock Weapon, Resistance to Electricity 10| +1 level of existing divine casting class
3|+2|+3|+3|+1|Storm Walk| + 1 level of existing divine casting class
4|+3|+4|+4|+1|Eye of the Storm| +1 level " " " " "
5|+3|+4|+4|+1| Thundering Weapon| +1 yadda yadda
6|+4|+5|+5|+2| Resist Sonic 10| +1 yadda yadda
7|+5|+5|+5|+2| Shocking Burst Weapon| +1
8|+6/+1|+6|+6|+2|Eye of the Storm 30-foot Radius| +1
9|+6/+1|+6|+6|+3|Stormrage 1/day| +1
10|+7/+2|+7|+7|+3|Body of the Storm| - [/table]

Class Features
The following are the class features of the Stormking.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A Stormking gains no new armor or weapon proficiencies.

Storm Spell Power
You are truly skilled in the use of spells that wield the power of the stormy seas. Any spell you cast that has the air, electricity, sonic, or water descriptor is cast at +2 caster level.

Shock Weapon
Any melee bludgeoning weapon you use is treated as a shock weapon (dealing 1d6 extra points of electricity damage). This stacks with any other enhancements it may have, including shocking.

Spellcasting
At every Stormking level except 1st and 10th, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a stormking, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Energy Resistance
At 2nd level, you gain some resistance to the power of lightning, granting you Resistance to Electricity 10. At 6th level, you gain Resistance to Sonic 10

Storm Walk
Beginning at 3rd level, a stormking can walk, ride, or fly through storms (natural or magical) at his normal movement rate, completely unaffected by high winds, pounding precipitation or waves, objects driven by winds (which always seem to miss), great claps of thunder, natural bolts of lightning, or any other natural symptom of Khakom’s will.

Eye of the Storm
Even in a storm, the winds whipping around you seem to leave you unaffected. Beginning at 4th level, you ignore the penalties associated with Listen checks due to high winds and spot checks due to rain or precipitation. Actions that are impossible in high winds (such as using ranged attacks in winds above 50 mph) are still impossible. At 8th level, you gain the ability to share this protection with any number of allies within 30 feet. Granting (or removing) this benefit from any number of allies is a free action.

Thundering Weapon
At 5th level, any melee bludgeoning weapon you use is treated as a thundering weapon. This stacks with any other enchantments the weapon may have, including thundering, or the Shock Weapon or Shocking Burst Weapon class features.

Storm Ride

Shocking Burst Weapon
At 7th level, any melee bludgeoning weapon you use is treated as a shocking burst weapon. This stacks with any other enchantments the weapon may have, including shocking burst, or the Shock Weapon and Thundering Weapon class features.

Stormrage
At 9th level, you may cast the spell Stormrage (Complete Divine pg. once per day as a spell-like ability.

Body of the Storm
At 10th level, your mastery of the power of the storm is complete, and you take on some semblance of a Storm Elemental. Your body takes on a dark, cloudy appearance, your form sometimes even becoming partial cloud, imposing a 20% miss chance on attacks made against you. Miss chance from any other source supercedes this. Your resistances increase to resistance to electricity 30 and resistance to sonic 30, respectively. You gain a fly speed of 60ft (perfect). This supercedes any lesser flight you have through other means. In addition, once per minute as a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, you may emit a blast of thunder coupled with a bolt of lightning. The thunder deals sonic damage equal to 1d8/two levels of Stormking to all creatures within 60 feet of your position. A fortitude save (10+your Stormking level + your Constitution modifier) halves this damage. The lightning is a 120-foot line that deals electricity damage equal to 1d6/level of Stormking. A reflex save (10+your Stormking level + your Dexterity modifer) halves this damage.

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 09:16 PM
I have no idea what Stormrage is.

Off-hand, it looks pretty good, though that Storm Elemental form is pretty powerful - Sonic resistance doesn't come cheap, and free miss chance is great too.

String
2008-10-08, 09:21 PM
Stormrage is in Complete Divine. It's an 8th level Cleric/druid spell, cant find the page.. Ah! 182-183. You gain benefits of fly, surrounded by wind wall...and can deal up to CLd6 in electricity damage as a ranged touch attack. Thats total, not everytime. You can divide up the number of d6 per bolt as low as 1d6 over CL rounds, or one big blast. Duration is 1min/level.

On the topic of Sonic resistance: I was unsure how big a gain this was, as I am not familiar with a lot of monsters that use sonic damage, nor have I personally run into a lot of sonic damage dealing spellcasters while playing dnd ( I dont play a lot of face to face nowadays and PbP often peters out). Some of the guys at LoC said that it wasnt a big gain, but I still was undecided.

Obviously, I like big Capstones.

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 09:26 PM
It's... quantum.

Sonic is awesome as a PC attacking type because so few things have resistances to it; however, because so few things also attack with it, resistance isn't normally that good. Also, it tends to do less damage outright to begin with in most cases.

But in the hands of a DM in the middle of an escalating power war between him and his PCs, sonic is very powerful since its hard to get resistance to.

Maybe make it Sonic Resistance 5 and then 20 instead of 10 and 30.

String
2008-10-08, 09:29 PM
Hmm. Those are good points. I'll definately consider it..I dont want it to be too uneven with the elec resist, if only because I like the symmetry...

afroakuma
2008-10-08, 09:35 PM
But you know who does have resistance to sonic? Because I do. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92837)

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 09:37 PM
Psht, that's immunity.

afroakuma
2008-10-08, 09:41 PM
Infinite resistance!

Oh, fine. :smallyuk: I'll concede that one.

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 09:43 PM
Okay, Stormrage doesn't sound super impressive. Looks pretty decent overall! (Though you silly people should stop with your Storm PrCs and make a Fire PrC. A Stellar Fire, even.)

afroakuma
2008-10-08, 09:46 PM
Last time I saw a Fire PrC it was dangerously unbalanced. Granted, it was in Dragon and apparently hadn't met an editor. Unlimited burning hands is not the greatest... unlimited flame strike is asking for it.

AstralFire
2008-10-08, 09:47 PM
Last time I saw a Fire PrC it was dangerously unbalanced. Granted, it was in Dragon and apparently hadn't met an editor. Unlimited burning hands is not the greatest... unlimited flame strike is asking for it.

One of these days I'm going to make a Captain Falcon PrC for Desert Wind, I think.