PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations on a Wonderful Comic!

Defiant
2008-10-08, 11:56 PM
Greetings,

I have recently been introduced to this comic, and had started reading it in my breaks at work. Not much time has passed since I had caught up to the newest strip, so I haven't been here long.

I must say that you've done an excellent job in this comic, though I am in no official or academic way a literary critic. You've managed to keep a light mood on the storyline and make great humour, while still maintaining suspense and an overarching and engaging plot line. That is one of the greatest things about this comic: its lightness and playfulness. In today's harsh realities, it is nice to delve into something simpler and simply fun.

However, the greatest characteristic of the comic, in my opinion, is its "cartoonyness". As I've read and continue reading through these comics, I've felt kind of like my inner child resurfacing. It's as if I can enjoy it with childish glee even though I have passed that age! Kind of like when you lose yourself in a book and the fantasies therein, I have found much comfort losing myself in the world of the Order of the Stick, and enjoying the adventures and humour within.

Most notably I've enjoyed your Celestia (heaven) depiction. Not just the sheer emotion involved in that particular story arc, but also your view of heaven. Well, even if it wasn't your view of how heaven would/should be, it still moved me and made me think and contemplate. I liked it a lot.

I've been told that artists usually want to strike an impression or feeling in the reader/beholder. Well, you've certainly done that to me, and in quite a pleasant way!

So let me just congratulate and thank you for this wonderful comic! It is now, naturally, my #1 comic, and I will be eagerly awaiting each new strip. :smallsmile:

Liwen
2008-10-09, 01:36 AM
Quick! let's post of this thread as long as it must take for the Giant to see this glorious ovation! Seriously, those were nice words.

Having read the commentaries (yes those long, but well-writen never ending pages of image-less text people usually skip) in the five books that Rich made (and that I recently bought to support his work), I can say that the way you describe how you feel about the comic is EXCATLY how he wish to have done it. So, in the saddly probable case that Rich doesn't have the opportunity to see you thread before it is pushed out at the 5th page or something, allow me add my two copper peices by impersonating him has best I can.

Impersonation of Rich (may not be accurate) : Thank you Defiant for you nice words. They were very moving and made me feel so good about my chosen profession. I rest easy knowing I've lighten up yet another person's live with this story I'm telling. I certainly hope that I shall keep it to the same level of quality and balance of humour and drama that has so far ensured it's sucess.

Again, thank you and have a nice time reading the comic, that's all I really wish.

Rich

Ending impersonnation.

There! May the Giant smite me with a angry face and treats to banish me from the forum if he ever find this thread and feels like I've stolen his words, but what is there to say? I'm that kind of @$$hole I guess.

Vizen
2008-10-09, 01:53 AM
I agree with Liwen, those really were some moving words you posted, Defiant. I too hope the Giant has time to read them before the page gets bumped down to page 2 or further, because I think he would really appreciate it. It is a big change to the whole "I don't like where the story is going" threads that others have posted.

Linkavitch
2008-10-09, 05:14 PM
Let's all post "Huzzah for the Giant!" until he posts that he read this.

The Hop Goblin
2008-10-09, 06:22 PM
I can only say it's nice to see some positive words amidst the second-guessing and flood of negative critique's this comic seems to recieve weekly.

Grushvak
2008-10-09, 06:29 PM
I have to admire an artist able to sustain such a complex narrative in a world where the fourth wall is constantly under repair only to be brought down again, and able to surprise us with clever plot twists despite the profusion of genre-savvy characters who make it their duty to warn the readers whenever the unexpected is expected to happen.

Most of all, I have to admire the great character development worked into a format where every other speech bubble must contain a joke of some sort, and I have to admire how the artist conveys such emotion in simple stick figures.

All this in one of the only comic strips able to make us honestly laugh out loud every other day.

Rich Burlew rules.

chiasaur11
2008-10-09, 07:53 PM
I have to admire an artist able to sustain such a complex narrative in a world where the fourth wall is constantly under repair only to be brought down again, and able to surprise us with clever plot twists despite the profusion of genre-savvy characters who make it their duty to warn the readers whenever the unexpected is expected to happen.

Most of all, I have to admire the great character development worked into a format where every other speech bubble must contain a joke of some sort, and I have to admire how the artist conveys such emotion in simple stick figures.

All this in one of the only comic strips able to make us honestly laugh out loud every other day.

Rich Burlew rules.

Indeed. Rich is most excellent. Most excellent indeed.

Pyro
2008-10-09, 09:42 PM
Many people criticize the art, but I for one love it. The thick lines and simple, but vibrant colors make the characters and art pop out. The plot is also ok too. :smallsmile: :smallamused:

Heroic
2008-10-09, 09:56 PM
The simple yet colourful drawings and teh story itself makes OotS the best comic I've ever read!

Linkavitch
2008-10-11, 06:09 PM
Huzzah for the Giant! Come on, do it with me! (mouths "Huzzah for the Giant!")

Jan Mattys
2008-10-13, 07:19 AM
Huzzah for the Giant!

Ronan
2008-10-13, 07:33 AM
Huzzah for the Giant!

Keep up with the good job. In a near future I will get the books as well, so that I can know everything about this cosmology. Once again: The jokes are going very well, so is the drama and the thrill

Huzzah once again:smallbiggrin:

Cleverdan22
2008-10-13, 07:38 AM
I can only say it's nice to see some positive words amidst the second-guessing and flood of negative critique's this comic seems to recieve weekly.

Ditto that. Huzzah for the Giant!