PDA

View Full Version : How to get a Dragon mount 3.5

Flashlight
2008-10-09, 07:29 AM
The title says it all, how can a high level character get a butt-kicking dragon mount. I know there is a feat that grants a Dragon familiar, but I rather would like a BIG dragon.

Saph
2008-10-09, 07:37 AM
Draconomicon has what you need. The Dragon Cohort feat lets any character with a sufficiently high Leadership score get themselves a dragon mount for fire-breathing goodness. There are rules for a Paladin to get a dragon as a special mount too.

- Saph

Telonius
2008-10-09, 07:46 AM
Alternately, play a Dragon, take Leadership, and get a human rider as your cohort. :smallbiggrin:

olelia
2008-10-09, 07:51 AM
And give him winged boots when you're feeling lazy.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-09, 08:47 AM
Alternately, play a Dragon, take Leadership, and get a human rider as your cohort. :smallbiggrin:

Weren't the humanoid characters in Council of Wyrms even termed cohorts?

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-09, 09:11 AM
steal dragon egg
raise it from young

problem is once a dragon grows older it will want its indepenance - refuse it and you may get (partially) eaten

Mount "i want to go out into the world on my own"
PC "no!!1 lol"
10 game ours later
DM "your mount Coup-de-grace'd you in your sleep. Have a new character sheet"

Smeggedoff
2008-10-09, 09:36 AM
Draconomicon has what you need. The Dragon Cohort feat lets any character with a sufficiently high Leadership score get themselves a dragon mount for fire-breathing goodness. There are rules for a Paladin to get a dragon as a special mount too.

- Saph

Technically you don't need Dragon cohort, you could use leadership, but Dragon cohort makes it easier at the cost of having no followers

you could also play a paladin and take Dragon Steed at the appropriate level

Waspinator
2008-10-09, 09:45 AM
I'd look at the Draconomicon. There's a few ways to do it that they talk about in that book:

1: Raise a dragon from an egg and treat/train it well. Takes a lot of time, though.

2: Negotiate with an existing dragon. If you can earn it's trust (and probably pay it a lot), it may be willing to serve as your steed. Make sure the alignments are compatible first, though.

3: Dragon Cohort feat to get a friendly dragon around who may be large enough to serve as a mount.

4: Dragon Steed feat to get a dragonnel (it's a like a dragon-horse) as a mount.

Flashlight
2008-10-09, 10:39 AM
Nice, Leadership it is then. Thank you guys.

serok42
2008-10-09, 10:49 AM
Weren't the humanoid characters in Council of Wyrms even termed cohorts?

No I think they were called kindred or something like that.

Council of Wyrms was awesome. I played a Red dragon with a dwarven fighter kindred (or whatever they were called)

TheElfLord
2008-10-09, 12:36 PM
Roleplaying.

Go adventuring, meet some dragons, strike a deal with 1 or talk him into helping you. No need to take a feat or anything, just use the in-game path instead of the out of game path.

Oslecamo
2008-10-09, 01:03 PM
Roleplaying.

Go adventuring, meet some dragons, strike a deal with 1 or talk him into helping you. No need to take a feat or anything, just use the in-game path instead of the out of game path.

You better be some good damn roleplayer, because dragons aren't exactly known to be humble submissive creatures that serve as mounts for mortals. Not whitout some fat treasure payments at least.

dspeyer
2008-10-09, 01:20 PM
You better be some good damn roleplayer, because dragons aren't exactly known to be humble submissive creatures that serve as mounts for mortals. Not whitout some fat treasure payments at least.

Even using the draconic X feats, RAW specifies that a dragon is still a proud thinking being, which may demand a voice in party decisions and will certainly demand a share of the treasure. If you try to treat one like a horse, he will rebel (and quite possibly kill you).

Smeggedoff
2008-10-09, 01:23 PM
Even using the draconic X feats, RAW specifies that a dragon is still a proud thinking being, which may demand a voice in party decisions and will certainly demand a share of the treasure. If you try to treat one like a horse, he will rebel (and quite possibly kill you).

yep, the dragon steed feat mentions that the dragon will require a hoard of at least 1000 gold per hit die. this belongs to the dragon, it's not just keeping it warm for you

Saph
2008-10-09, 02:01 PM
yep, the dragon steed feat mentions that the dragon will require a hoard of at least 1000 gold per hit die. this belongs to the dragon, it's not just keeping it warm for you

Yeah, even with the feat, you still have to do plenty of roleplaying (not to mention doling out some cash). The deal isn't "you take the feat, then you don't have to roleplay it", the deal is "you take the feat, AND you have to roleplay it".

You can do it without the feat, too, but expect the payment to be much higher, and the dragon to be a lot less obedient. (In fact, the dragon's more likely to think of you as its cohort than the other way round . . .)

- Saph