PDA

View Full Version : Anteheroes: Rogue Agent

AstralFire
2008-10-09, 09:53 AM
chka-chka-chka-chka-chka...

The helicopter lifts off into the distance, until you can hear yourselves think again. You're at a helicopter pad in the Norfolk Naval Operating Base (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Operating_Base,_Norfolk), with the rest of a team that you have not even seen but glimpses of before now. Each of you have been equipped with a PDAphone that connects back to base; you are to use it rarely and change your Operating Codes daily, as directed in the digital files they gave you.

Here's the information they've given you:
- Aeolus was last spotted heading south from the DC Border. He could be headed anywhere.
- You are not expected to engage Aeolus and Helena unless in vastly tactically superior circumstances or if necessary to protect the wider populous. Your first goal is to gain information on them.
- A rundown of the Arcanum's 'usual suspects' has turned up very little, but there is some evidence that Operation Joshua has workers across the Chesapeake Bay in the Eastern Peninsula, around the town of Accomac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accomac,_Virginia). It is thought that locals may be involved. You are advised to be extremely careful on infiltration efforts - panic is the last thing we want to occur.
- Your cover story: You are Smithsonian Institute researchers interested in studying the area's rich native history and liminal architectual style - how the area appears to be simultaneously a hundred year backwater (do not use those words) and somewhat modern.
- You will be given a beaten-up looking minivan to drive in. It is perfectly serviceable, we just took a hammer and paint thinner to a new one.
- You've been given Government Expense Accounts, with an unlimited budget, but a cap on total weekly transactions of $10,000. The budget is already painful right now, getting food and board is fine, but you will be paying every dime for frivolous expenses.

You may be occasionally contacted or aided by the Arcanum, but expect nothing. We want as much radio silence as possible.

After introducing yourselves (if you choose), you can try to immediately locate your Naval Intelligence contact, Rear Admiral Zebediah Harrison for further information and probing for assistance - however, you may immediately depart in the beaten up minivan just across the field. Hitting the Navy Exchange (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_exchange) for anything you need is also fine, but you recall the hulking, overmuscled woman agent who handed you your credit cards glowering with the words, "We will beat every unnecessary dime back out of you."

What are your next actions?

{{Other options I did not think of are also fine.}}

Neon Knight
2008-10-09, 11:26 AM
Selim Bahadur stood among the rest of the group, hands stuffed in the pockets of his worn jeans. He looked like a ratty teenager, with a hole filled hoodie and stained sneakers, hardly a Smithsonian researcher. He supposed he could be a member of the camera crew, or some other kind of support personnel.

Selim looked about, sizing up each person. He hoped each would be up to combating this threat. Individuals like Aeolus were very dangerous...

"My friends, he began, "we should spend little time in idleness. The trail grows cold as we stand here.

Khane
2008-10-09, 12:59 PM
Sean hops off the helicopter, and pauses to adjust his winter jacket and hat to deal with the storm-like winds caused by the helicopters rotors. Turning to the rest of the group, and specifically to Selim, he says:

"Well, cold trails and all are bad...But working together with a bunch of people of I've never seen on a %$@&ing government job is a bit of a recipe for trouble in my book. I've barely seen most of ya, so please tell me... who are you all?

Username
2008-10-09, 01:07 PM
Clark stretches for a moment. He looks almost stereotypically like a college professor in both garb and appearance. He seems to be in his mid to late 40s, but is oddly quite chipper and energetic. His hair is mostly gray with bits of black still speckled amongst it, as if fighting off inevitability, one strand at a time. His clothes are nothing to note, he's dressed in clothes that are in some vague area between casual and professional, which just play up the professor persona he practically seems to ooze.

Clark gives a slightly worried smile as he surveys the team he was placed with "Well... Smithsonian, eh? Not a bad cover I suppose, though not, perhaps, the one this particular team is visually suited for. But we all have to make due with what we can get."

One of Clark's eyebrows raises quizzically for a moment as his eyes pass over Harley.

"Well, anyways, we probably ought to go meet with that intelligence contact. No sense in rushing off without the most information we can get."

"While we walk there, perhaps we should discuss our individual talents so we can work better as a team. I am something of a scholar on the subject of spirits, and as might be expected, I am a fairly talented channeler. That's about it really, my skill set changes depending on what spirit feels like humoring me at the time."

Username
2008-10-09, 01:12 PM
"Oh, and I can read minds. I suppose the telepathy is pretty important. Haha. Can also establish mental links, faster than a phone, but a bit invasive of mental privacy."

phoenixcire
2008-10-09, 01:51 PM
Daren steps forward slowly, his face is calm and expressionless while his eyes dart about, taking everything in. He's wearing a brilliantly white suit that just screams for attention. Quietly, he says:

"Name's Daren," his eyes land on Sean. "and I believe it's rude to ask for an introduction before giving one yourself." He looks around and sighs. "Then again, these are hardly pleasant times."

He walks over to Clark to shake his hand, "I can control shadow to various degrees."

Username
2008-10-09, 01:57 PM
Clark smiles and shakes Daren's hand. "Hmm, yes, something about the blindingly white suit just screamed "Shadows" to me."

Privately, he attempts to form a mental bond with Daren so as to address him privately (the psychic contact is open and does not give off hostile intent). If he accepts, he hears this, as well as feeling Clark's emotional state (curious): "Well, well. A fellow channeler? Seems odd though... integrated rather than overlaid. To be honest, you puzzle me."

(future psychic conversation will use <> to distinguish it. Also, the link is two-way, I presume a minute can pass to establish it without any fanfare. So you can return the psychic conversation.)

EDIT: DOH! Got the two shadow guys confused. Oh well, Your guy is probably chocked full of shadow too. Though I was thinking of Gardener and Harley with the implanted shadow spirit at the time. So slight adjustment, he sends the message to both of them. Likewise, he looked quizzically at both of them.

EDIT EDIT: Actually, scratch that, message sent only to Harley. Sorry for the mix up.

Khane
2008-10-09, 02:01 PM
Sean looks at Daren, chuckles, and says:
Well, I've never really been known my pleasant demeanor. Muh name's Sean, I'm prolly here 'cause I'm such a great shot. Oh, and maybe 'cuz I have a way of getting around that might be considered a little unusual.
Sean then teleports behind Daren, taps him on the shoulder, and grins.

Oh, and Prof? I'd like to see one of those mind-phones too, if y'don't mind. Could be a right lifesaver, yah?

Username
2008-10-09, 02:08 PM
Clark looks at Sean and attempts to establish a separate mental bond with him.

If he accepts (emotion: neutral):<It's not a physical object, in case you were thinking literally when you said that. And honestly now, we're working as part of a secret supernatural government task force. Like teleportation is all that surprising.>

Khane
2008-10-09, 02:11 PM
Sean accepts the bond, and responds in turn:

(emotion: amused):<I'm rude, not stupid man. And I just figured a bit of show'd be better then 'tell, gets point across faster yeah? 'Sides, I wanted to make 'im jump!>

Username
2008-10-09, 02:15 PM
To Sean (emotion: slightly exasperated): <Because attempting to startle someone with supernatural powers is both a wise idea and a great way to make a first impression. A bit of caution doesn't hurt, and we're probably going to need a lot of it on this mission.>

Khane
2008-10-09, 02:24 PM
To Sean (emotion: slightly exasperated): <Because attempting to startle someone with supernatural powers is both a wise idea and a great way to make a first impression. A bit of caution doesn't hurt, and we're probably going to need a lot of it on this mission.>

(emotion: Neutral):<I said I was rude, not stupid. Seeing how my new playmates react to the unexpected isn't a bad idea, eh? Just last job, someone fried 'mah witness 'cause they got a tad jumpy. Not gonna let that 'appen again, alrighty?>

Gardener
2008-10-09, 02:37 PM
Harley looks up at Sean's teleporting and mutters under his breath "Good trick."

He speaks up, addressing everyone. "The name's Harley. I got my share of tricks with shadow, an' I'm pretty handy with a knife. As to what to do first, the trail's already cold. We're not going to find them. If we screw up, they're going to find us. So let's get all the information we can before we start chasing a Special."

He turns to Clark specifically. "I take it you saw Penny's marks. I'm not sure I can explain about us, but we help each other out."

He speaks to the group once more. "Anyway, this has to be the worst cover ever. I mean, do I look like someone who knows about architecture? I guess I could be the driver..."

OOC:
Yes, I know "liminal architecture" is language structures. But Harley doesn't.
Username: Harley is the one with the integrated spirit. I can't see Daren's sheet anywhere, but I can't imagine we have the same concept here.

Gardener
2008-10-09, 02:50 PM
Harley responds down the link. <Yeah, it's not what most people call "channeling". There's a lot more stuff that's never worked before, but between this and prison, I'd still take this. Anyway, Penny says you're OK, so I guess you're OK. These link thingies really do go both ways.>

Neon Knight
2008-10-09, 02:50 PM
Slightly disgruntled, Selim said, "I am Selim Bahadur. I have skill with a blade and ancient Arabic magic at my disposal. Now that we are thoroughly acquainted, can we please get to business? If you must talk, you can do so in the car. We gain nothing from lingering here."

Gardener
2008-10-09, 03:09 PM
Slightly disgruntled, Selim said, "I am Selim Bahadur. I have skill with a blade and ancient Arabic magic at my disposal. Now that we are thoroughly acquainted, can we please get to business? If you must talk, you can do so in the car. We gain nothing from lingering here."

"Weren't you listening, man? We're chasing a High and a Special. We're bugs on the windscreen if we just go following them. Let's get the intel here, then head over to that town and see what we can see. But let's know what's in the box before we stick our hands in."

Username
2008-10-09, 03:19 PM
"Agreed, we need to get informed about the area. Once we meet with the intelligence contact I intend to question the local spirits. They tend to be reasonably informed on nearby supernatural events."

phoenixcire
2008-10-09, 03:35 PM
Amused at Sean's teleport Daren chuckles before saying, "I like that, bet it's dead useful in tough situations. Can you bring other people along with you, or is it limited to yourself?"

Neon Knight
2008-10-09, 03:43 PM
"Whether we are pursuing them or gathering information, the task is best accomplished somewhere else than this helipad."

Khane
2008-10-09, 04:30 PM
Turning to Daren:

Yeah, it's a nice trick to have in a pinch. I can only move one body a time, and even though movin mahself is easy as runnin', anything else takes a bit mo' work.

Smiling as he turns back to the group, Sean shugs loudly.

I'm with Harvey and the prof. We couldn't put a dent in those two, so I think we'd be better off just doin' a bit 'uv detective work. We some inkling 'uv what we're up against, but I always like to know all of what I'm about to get mahself into, yeah? Besides, mah partner 'asn't introduced 'erself yet. Wouldn't it just be so rude to leave her on the pad?

Sean chuckles a little and walks over to his partner, Shelley.

Neon Knight
2008-10-09, 04:41 PM
Selim just sighed and waited for them to get done.

Zuki
2008-10-09, 07:57 PM
"Sean, are you making fun of my accent again? Fer th'love of Mum's home-cooked steak, knock that off or I'll break out the rhyming slang." The lanky woman in the back seat grumps in a rather more subdued London accent, leaning over to cuff Sean in the side before turning to address the rest of the group.

"Soo.....introductions, izzit? Hate the things myself, but if you insist, 'Professor Clark.'" She looks into the distance and pantomimes picking up a phone and holding to the ear.

"Shelly Clarkson speaking, of Clarkson and Tecker Investigations. No problem's too weird, no job too sensitive. Privacy guaranteed with reasonable daily rates."

After a pause for laughter or comment, she continues. "Sean here's my partner. He fixes the paperwork and I do the phones. He does backup, I get up in somebody's face, laugh in it when they try to knife me, and then punch 'em. Good cop bad cop...weeell, that depends on th'time of the month, if you ken." Shelley taps the crescent moon logo on her windbreaker.

"Bahadur, was it? Quit your grumping, too. Or possibly cut down on your morning coffee. We can walk and talk at the same time...not as if five minutes makes that much difference what with this pair of needles and the size of the haystack. I'm all for shaking down the good Admiral Harrison a bit before we go, anyways. Been a while since I was prowling around on this side of the pond, yeh kin never know too much about a situation. Nice to have the magic-slingers on our side, f'r once. "

Shelley sticks her hands in her jean pockets and lopes off in the appropriate direction to go meet with Rear Admiral Zebediah.

phoenixcire
2008-10-09, 08:13 PM
Smiling, "You have to admire a woman who gets right to business."

He then heads off in the same direction as Shelly.

Username
2008-10-09, 08:40 PM
Clark nods "Onward and forward."

He proceeds to follow Shelly.

Khane
2008-10-09, 09:53 PM
Hahahahahaha, you noticed! Damn! Well, let's get down to business. Our friend Selim here seems a tad antsy.

Sean adjusts his hat and picks up his backpack before starting off behind Shelley.

Eesh, I swear. First we get called at 3 in the morning, then they tell us to get over to the states and don't even pay fer our bleepin ticket? Government jobs are always so cheap, and dangerous too. I'd just decline if you asked me, but no, the gorilla girl always has to take the job...

Sean continues to complain as he continues down the road.

Gardener
2008-10-09, 11:07 PM
Harley gives gives Shelley a small grin. "Now, you I can work with. Gotta say, though, not many people laugh when *I* try and knife 'em. Mostly, they bleed. Anyway, let's find out what the hell's going on." He follows the group.

Neon Knight
2008-10-09, 11:15 PM
Selim was the last to follow, but follow he did. "Suruden ayrilan koyunu kurt kapar. " The sheep separated from the flock is eaten by the wolf. Fate had bound him, however shortly, to these people.

Besides, they did have a point. "Bilmemek ayip degil, sormamak ayip." It is not disgraceful to ask, it is disgraceful not to ask.

Having satisfied himself with Turkish wisdom, he trailed behind them.

AstralFire
2008-10-10, 07:39 AM
You go inside and pass through a number of white halls and atriums in the main complex; in your attire, you get plenty of strange looks. Almost everyone there is wearing Service Khaki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniforms_of_the_United_States_Navy#Service_Khaki) or their Dress Whites (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniforms_of_the_United_States_Navy#Service_Dress). Still, they are largely too busy to pay much attention to you. You follow the signs pointing to the local Office of Naval Intelligence; some of them make reference to a 'Commodore Heap', but nothing specific about any Rear Admirals.

"You seem to be a little bit lost," a voice behind you notes.

He's a taller man, in his early sixties, with a long, rectangular (but jovial) face. His narrow eyes are bright and smiling and quick - he's appraising you all very quickly.

Wearing dress whites, it's hard to not notice the two stars resting on his shoulderboards, or the black nametag above the large number of ribbons and badges. "HARRISON"

"Apologies for being late, I was only just informed by my aide that you had landed." He nods to a man behind him with Captain's insignia, who smiles sheepishly. "Completely my fault."

"Let's get you inside, the Commodore and I have some things to discuss with you." He waves you into another hall with a keypad and a fingerprint scanner; he presses his finger down onto the pad and quickly types in a long string of numbers - it must have been at least 9 or 10.

The door swings open, and you are marched into a small, dark war room illuminated by CRT monitors, showing various maps of Earth from above, images of Helena the Rose and Aeolus, and walls and walls of text.

A middle-aged woman in dress whites salutes the Admiral. She wears the one-star of a Commodore and her tag says "HEAP."

Harrison waves it off immediately. "At ease, Kaitlyn."

"Aye, sir, and welcome to you, Task Force Nine. We received a new report while you were in transit here. Aeolus was spotted in a rest stop yesterday - with someone else."

"And I don't mean her." She motions towards the pink-haired, beautiful woman on the monitor screens. Her amber eyes are gaunt and filled with rage. "Those were the best images we were able to take of her with our Ethersense Cameras when we had her in captivity earlier this year. As you know, most people can't even see her; she is a fey."

"Which means that a normal camera cannot capture her image either."

"But here is what we found today, just on luck." She taps a key and the widescreen on the wall lights up... with a picture of an enlisted sailor in white jumper uniform hugging what appeared to be his mother. An orange datestamp marks the bottom right, but in the bottom left... an out-of-focus mulatto man beside a short brunette woman wearing glasses. They were getting into a car together.

"We have at least three to worry about now; she might be a hostage, we do not know. Our people are running image enhancement and trying to match her face to our databanks, but this was a film image, and is hard to enhance properly."

phoenixcire
2008-10-10, 08:23 AM
"Wait wait wait," Daren spoke up, sounding thoroughly nonplussed."Task Force Nine? Is that some sort of military code or does that mean there were eight groups before us that failed?"

Khane
2008-10-10, 10:50 AM
Sean, upon entering the presence of the admiral, immediately assumes a more formal and businesslike air, and his wide grin turns into an unreadable line.

"I believe he is simply saying that we're the ninth unit of this operation. Other teams are undoubtedly working on the same objective, we are not alone."

Turning to address the admiral, he says:

"Anyways, Admiral, do we know where and when the picture was taken? We understand that the town of Accomac, Virginia has been singled out for association with the organization "Project Joshua". It would greatly help our investigation to know why, and if this photograph was taken near the location it may improve our investigation efforts."

AstralFire
2008-10-10, 06:07 PM
Commodore Heap nods. "Mr. Tecker is correct. There are ten concurrent task forces on this... issue, in addition to the two primary field teams from Olympus and Valhalla."

"Now, as for the image, this was an ensign's photo on the way here from a family visit. He had it posted up on the door to his quarters, and one of our officers recognized Aeolus in the shot. It was taken at a rest stop in Northern Virginia in Stafford County, and heading south. That section of Interstate 95 happens to be a major avenue to the rest of the state, so we still can't be sure where he's heading. We only know enough to recall our West Virginia team and relocate them. Was there anything else?"

The commodore clears her throat. "The reason Accomac has been selected, sir." She blinks and squeezes the bridge of her nose, trying to concentrate through a headache. "To be honest, I don't know myself." There's a tone of resentment in her voice - but it's covered up inside a lot of self-discipline.

The Rear Admiral frowns momentarily, then relaxes and regains a distant smile, examining a small manila folder. "Well... I only have the faintest inklings myself. Your board of directors has never been cooperative. A private communications satellite shifted location and fired a lot of burst signals to that area for a few hours before and after the break-out. My men say they weren't able to intercept enough of the transmissions to have a reliable basis for breaking the encryption." He closes his eyes and puts down the folder. "I'll be frank with you; Agent Nemean1 and I both think..."

He laughs nervously. "Tell me, you boys like huntin'? Gettin' your shotguns and duck blinds out?"

1 The head field agent of Project Olympus; the woman who told you to not spend frivolously.

Username
2008-10-10, 06:17 PM
"Nope, not the hunting type. Do you know anything about the local fae population in Accomac? I figure if something odd is going on, at least one of them is likely to know. Of course, getting them to actually share the information is far more difficult..."

AstralFire
2008-10-10, 06:24 PM
"Nope, not the hunting type. Do you know anything about the local fae population in Accomac? I figure if something odd is going on, at least one of them is likely to know. Of course, getting them to actually share the information is far more difficult."

"Well, too bad... you're certified and licensed geese hunters now." He sighs. "I know that part of the Delmarva peninsula has one of the wilder courts, though I am not one of you spirit people.

"I believe the court is led by Teague, a male horse spirit that claims tradition as its domain. They're a bit more scattered, but I wouldn't call them wild as much as decentralized; the notes on the database call them 'genteel' and 'colorful'."

Username
2008-10-10, 06:53 PM
Clark looks thoughtful for a moment "Interesting, I'll just have to see what I can find once we actually get there."

Clark pauses a moment before continuing "Sorry for interrupting, what is this business about hunting? Was our cover story changed? Can't say I'd be too adverse to that, not much of this team really looks the part."

AstralFire
2008-10-10, 07:20 PM
"Sorry for interrupting, what is this business about hunting? Was our cover story changed? Can't say I'd be too adverse to that, not much of this team really looks the part."

The rear admiral coughs. "It was a joke. Never you mind much."

Username
2008-10-10, 07:40 PM
"Ah, I thought it might be, but my hope that we wouldn't have to work on disguises won out." Clark sighs "Is there any other information you think may prove useful?"

Neon Knight
2008-10-10, 07:45 PM
Selim stood slightly apart, taking in the two's words. So, he could be anywhere. It was even more important then to find the trail, and swiftly. Selim waited will ill concealed impatience for the meeting to end.

Khane
2008-10-10, 09:35 PM
Sean frowns subtly. Something about the Corporal's and Admiral's way of skirting the question bother him.

Are you trying to say this is a wild goose chase, Admiral? It may very well be. But in the end, sir, I need to fulfill my client's wishes. So all we know of the town is that it was the target of satellite communications shortly after the event occurred? Who owns the satellite? How long has it been there? Also, may I ask as to the contents of that folder?

Sean looks at the commodore.

You seem out of sorts. Are you all right?

<Hey, Professor. I'm not so sure our friends are being totally open with us, please ask to see if they'd be willing to join our little mind-network here. We might pry a bit of information from their surface thoughts.>

Username
2008-10-10, 09:47 PM
To Sean (emotion: resigned) <That seems a bit far fetched, and an invasion of privacy. But you're probably going to keep bugging me if I don't.>

"By the way, while we do have phones and such, those are not always the safest and certainly not the fastest way to transfer urgent information should we uncover any. I would like to request to form a mental link with one of you, through which I can contact you later should it be required. It is best to be prepared."

phoenixcire
2008-10-10, 11:08 PM
Noticing Selim's agitation, Daren sidles over to him:

Hey, don't worry. I know the trail's gone cold but it's bound to happen anyways. Right now it seems best to gather intel over at Accomac than to head after Aeolus. I mean, he went south down the I95, and that goes all the way to Florida. Not like we can just drive down the road shouting 'Here Aeolus Aeolus Aeolus, come here boy!'

Neon Knight
2008-10-11, 09:34 AM
"That is true," Selim replied, "but still, it bothers me that the wolf is left to run free. He could do great harm in the time it takes to find him."

AstralFire
2008-10-11, 09:46 AM
Are you trying to say this is a wild goose chase, Admiral? It may very well be. But in the end, sir, I need to fulfill my client's wishes. So all we know of the town is that it was the target of satellite communications shortly after the event occurred? Who owns the satellite? How long has it been there? Also, may I ask as to the contents of that folder?

"The satellite is owned by a South Korean corporation, which is about all that I know on the matter, and part of the reason it was suspicious. We're doing some work on our end to eliminate suspects, since your bosses aren't being forthcoming about any of this information. This folder is classified information."

"I am fine, thank you. It's been... a long night and morning."

"By the way, while we do have phones and such, those are not always the safest and certainly not the fastest way to transfer urgent information should we uncover any. I would like to request to form a mental link with one of you, through which I can contact you later should it be required. It is best to be prepared."

Admiral Harrison stares at you incredulously, the smile fading from his face. "Son, do you know how much incredibly sensitive, classified, for-my-eyes-only information passes through my head daily? Sorry, but request refused, that would be an incredible breach of national security."

Username
2008-10-11, 11:35 AM
"Ah, I often forget that not everyone has trained to filter their surface thoughts. It becomes so natural you just end up assuming everyone can do it."

To Sean: (emotion: neutral) <Well, there you have it. If you want me to directly invasively go mind-diving, you realize how much trouble that would get us in if it was noticed or at any point discovered, right?>

Khane
2008-10-11, 06:31 PM
Sean looks at the commodore for another short moment, then addresses the Read Admiral.

"I see. Again on the subject of the town. Do you have any local agents in the area we could contact as we begin our operation? We have almost zero intel here, and it's really hurting. Any assistance in gathering intelligence would be most appreciated. Also, our planned cover story is...weak. Would naval intelligence be able to help us in any with this issue and any other matters? I know it's not really your...jurisdiction may not be the right word, but what we have is clearly insufficient. Furthermore, Project Olympus has stated they don't know much about a supposed "Project Joshua". I know the intelligence community can be rather reticent to share data, so if you have any additional leads, they would be great helps.."

Sean Glances at Clark before sending:

To Clark:
(emotion: nonplussed)<I said I was rude, not stupid. Of course I know, and I agree it's not worth the risk. Anyways, I think we've gotten most of what he'll tell us. Unless you have any other questions, of course.

Neon Knight
2008-10-11, 07:06 PM
Selim wanted to step forward and break this conversation off. If they had any more information, they were either already acting upon it or it was too "classified" to reveal. Instead, he held his sharp tongue. Allah, give me strength.

Gardener
2008-10-12, 03:46 AM
Harley shakes his head slightly. "So all we got is that some guy sent a bunch of messages to Accomac at about the right time? Great. I guess we'd better go get our hands dirty, then. Thanks, Admiral. It's not your fault you don't know anything useful."

Zuki
2008-10-12, 10:05 PM
"Wild Goose Chases. Excellent." Shelley nudges Sean in the side again. "We've had to deal with colder trails before, Tecker. Remember that time with the ghouls?"

"My apologies, Admiral. Mr. Tecker's a bit fussy. Likes to complain, you know the type? What little you've had for us about the local Gentry is better than nothing--with The Professor on our side, mebbe we can learn something. This smells like a mortal conspiracy to me, so asking around the Court might not raise as my alarm bells at first..."

"Really, I don't know what the lot of you are stalling about...they told us back in the Big White Room just how little anyone has to work with. I'm starting to agree with Mr. Grumpy And Turkish--we're not going to learn anything new or useful gadding about here, better to hop in the rustbucket and go, eh?"

(Bah, I'm not happy with this post and I'd rather have worked in some descriptions and poses. But Khane's been unsubtly hounding me to post, and I'm holding the rest of you back. Mentally work these bits of dialogue into the conversations as appropriate. Might edit later, but here's the gist of what Shelley has to say and think. Let's get this show on the road and get into some trouble!)

AstralFire
2008-10-13, 10:37 AM
"I see. Again on the subject of the town. Do you have any local agents in the area we could contact as we begin our operation? We have almost zero intel here, and it's really hurting. Any assistance in gathering intelligence would be most appreciated. Also, our planned cover story is...weak. Would naval intelligence be able to help us in any with this issue and any other matters? I know it's not really your...jurisdiction may not be the right word, but what we have is clearly insufficient. Furthermore, Project Olympus has stated they don't know much about a supposed "Project Joshua". I know the intelligence community can be rather reticent to share data, so if you have any additional leads, they would be great helps.."

He sighs and rubs one temple. "I'm afraid not, son. You are going to be our first contacts in the region. As for your cover, yes, we can help with that. Heap?"

She nods, shaking off her headache. "We've pulled together some old survey and photographic equipment and placed it in your van; if you wish, we may have an actual member of a Smithsonian research team who we can tap to meet you there, as well, though he will not have been fully cleared for this mission... Understand, this is under the table, and if he finds out more than he's supposed to, we had nothing to do with it..."

"You have someone in mind, Commodore?" Zebediah seems surprised.

She nods. "Yes, a Kent Owens; I've personally worked with Owens before, enough to know that he means well and can keep his mouth shut, but he's also the inquisitive sort. He has the ability to see fey, so he'll know it has something to do with the supernatural, but you'll have to keep him in the dark about the specific nature of the emergency. As to Project Joshua..."

"We have told you everything we know, which isn't very much in this case. You'll be off, then." The Admiral straightens up and offers his hand. "God and Luck with you."

phoenixcire
2008-10-13, 10:50 AM
Noticing the clear dismissal, Daren starts heading for the door, and to the Exchange.

I'm going to need some food before I go he says, more to himself than anyone else.

A few minutes later he's walking out of the Exchange with a whole box of Trails Best beef sticks and a 2-liter of Mountain Dew. He's munching on the beef sticks two at a time, looking extremely satisfied with his current activity. While doing so he meanders his way to the van, ready to get going.

Username
2008-10-13, 11:17 AM
Clark smiles and shakes the Admiral's hand before heading out.

"I suppose I ought grab lunch too, who knows when I'll have a convenient chance again." Likewise, Clark goes to the Exchange and exits with a modest sandwich and bottle of water.

Clark talks as everyone walks to the van "Hmm, another fey-sighted? And we have to keep him in the dark? Well, this ought to be interesting."

Gardener
2008-10-13, 02:19 PM
Clark smiles and shakes the Admiral's hand before heading out.

"I suppose I ought grab lunch too, who knows when I'll have a convenient chance again." Likewise, Clark goes to the Exchange and exits with a modest sandwich and bottle of water.

Clark talks as everyone walks to the van "Hmm, another fey-sighted? And we have to keep him in the dark? Well, this ought to be interesting."

"Food sounds good." Harley emerges from the Exchange with a hamburger in hand. "I guess I just play dumb. Not like I'm not used to it. This guy'll know something's up. We just need to stop him finding out what."

Neon Knight
2008-10-13, 04:02 PM
Selim got nothing from the Exchange; he was troubled. "I do not like this. We are to lead this man blindfolded into a nest of serpents, and the admiral's warning..." Selim shook his head. "Ominous. I fear for that man if he learns too much. My conscience is ill at ease."

Khane
2008-10-13, 04:08 PM
Sean glances at Shelley as if to say "I thought we weren't going to mention that anymore., before taking the Admiral's hand and saying:

Thank you for your assistance, Admiral, I look forward to working with you. And Commodore? Thank you for providing a contact for us to work with, it will be a great help.

Sean then exits the room and heads down to the van, gets out his rifle, and begins to clean it while he waits for everyone to meet up.

AstralFire
2008-10-14, 06:51 AM
{{Is there more you guys would like to cover at the Exchange, or shall I press Fast-Forward?}}

Zuki
2008-10-14, 08:10 AM
{{I can't think of anything super-important that Shelley wouldn't have already brought with her, and this isn't a dungeon delve where it makes that much difference if you've got 50 feet or only 45 of rope. Let's fast forward and get onto Awkward Interactions With NPCs! (For the love of god, let's not blow our cover so quickly like we did with the Eberron campaign.)}}

Gardener
2008-10-15, 02:53 AM
{{Fast-forward, but I'd like to change Harley's arsenal before we get into a combat situation. Just swap Energy Wave for Energy Flash. Note: with shadow, it's not so much a flash, as a cover-their-eyes-in-darkness type thing.}}

Khane
2008-10-15, 06:13 AM
{{Fast forward, unless there are people at the exchange we could benefit from meeting.}}

AstralFire
2008-10-15, 09:04 AM
It's a mostly uneventful trip for the next hour and a half, even if a pretty one. The green sea roiling beneath you as you cross the Chesapeake Bay-Bridge and Tunnel, leafbare trees that look like wooden lightning bolts froze in the ground. Strong, bright sun, and the minivan isn't nearly as uncomfortable as it is ugly.

Every so often, you pass one of those little yellow firework stands and trailers, some metal, some wood. The observant among you might notice that they each come with pork. One stand sells "Fireworks and Bacon", another "Fireworks and Pork Rinds", and a third "Fireworks and Smoked Ham." One particularly industrious yellow gas station had an extremely busy sign, including for sale "Fireworks, Cured Ham, Cigarettes, Gasoline, Bacon, Tobacco."

Churches of many styles pass by as well. Churches and small libraries and well-worn homes that have been loved but lived in a little too long.

Sean's PDA vibes once as you go. Email from [email protected] - Owens will be meeting you by nightfall at the library. It's an ideal place to hold a meeting when you're pretending to be scholars.

The LED clock reads 1:04 when you pull into what passes for 'downtown' at Accomac - the square mile holding the library, some restaurants, and a general goods store. None of it with a single franchise brand or logo, though the library has the clean look of freshly hewn stone and new glass. Only a sparse few cars pass through, and they're not greatly troubled by you idling at the stop sign as you think.

The suspicious satellite receiver in question is another mile and a half due north of here, off-roads it looks like.

Username
2008-10-15, 05:23 PM
Edit:Never mind, just realized we hadn't parked. I've got nothing to say.

Neon Knight
2008-10-16, 11:47 AM
Selim leaned forward from the backseat. "We have much time before the sun sets. We should decide how to spend the remaining daylight." Selim himself had few suggestions in that regard.

Khane
2008-10-16, 02:03 PM
Sean replies to the PDA message with a single word of thanks, and then
relays the information in the PDA to the rest of the group, before saying:

"I think we should keep a low profile. Do typical traveler things until nightfall, where we can meet with our contact. At the same time, we must try and gather as much intelligence on the area as possible. This means we do 3 things: Find lodging, a place to buy food, and find entertainment. We do not want to eat out, as our dinner conversation probably won't help our cover. We must maintain operational security, which means limiting casual interactions with locals.

After that, our best course of action would probably be to look around the library before our contact arrives, to help establish security over the meeting. Going to the library early also helps cement our cover as scholars."

phoenixcire
2008-10-16, 02:24 PM
Daren listens to Sean while slightly nodding his head to the suggestions. Afterwards Daren adds:

We must remember that while keeping a low profile, we don't want to look secretive. This is small town America, people usually notice you more if you are actively trying to not be seen. People in small towns tend to like it when visitors are open and honest. Keeping a smile always at the ready would be wise in interactions with locals.

Username
2008-10-16, 02:24 PM
"I agree about the library. I want to see if they have any books about the local history there."

Gardener
2008-10-16, 02:27 PM
Harley answers without taking his eyes off the road. "Sounds good. Has anyone seen a newsagent? A tourist map and a local paper would tell us most of what we need to know."

phoenixcire
2008-10-16, 02:32 PM
Hmmm. Try a gas station.

AstralFire
2008-10-17, 08:22 AM
Edit:Never mind, just realized we hadn't parked. I've got nothing to say.

{{You can assume you move the cark into park or something. These are minor details.}}

Hmmm. Try a gas station.

Down the road a quarter-mile to your left, there's a single regional franchise gas station named "Super King", with a 50's style font and logo. It looks fairly well kept, but in general, you get the sense that time has sort of forgotten this place...

Heaing into the gas station is a simple affair; the cashier smiles at you broadly and asks - with more twang than you may care to tolerate - how you're doing and if she can help you.

You find the maps easily and with little effort; there are several for the wider region, all meant for travelers such as yourselves. The newspapers are nearby, and it doesn't seem like there's a lot to note:

Thomson Edging Out Epperman
Local race getting heated
A New Library With a New Purpose
The Percival Hughes Study Library
Presidential Candidates Spar One Last Time
Detailed Analysis
Op-Ed: The Essential Lightness of Wallet
Joshua Stanton

Username
2008-10-17, 07:29 PM
Clark glances over the maps before nodding "Well, shall we head to the library now? We need to begin research on the local history."

phoenixcire
2008-10-18, 12:05 AM
Daren grabs a paper, I'd like to read about this "New Library With a New Purpose." Anyone know who Percival Hughes is?

AstralFire
2008-10-21, 10:10 AM
A New Library With a New Purpose

Amidst the roar of earth movers, dust and construction workers, a dozen volunteers began stocking the bare shelves of the Eastern Shoreboard's newest library on Tuesday.

Although the library's grand opening is not for another month, librarians, students and community members all joined forces to unload and store 10,901 books, DVDs, CDs and audio books at the new Percival Hughes Library.

"This is just the beginning of the shipment," said Northbridge Library Branch Manager Georgia Will. "We've ordered $500,000 worth of materials for the first day."

The new library is scheduled to open on the weekend of November 1, coinciding with its namesake's birthday. Will said, however, the library will open before the grand opening.

Library shelves will not be fully stocked by the grand opening celebration, Will said. She said the library wants space to add titles over the years and keep the collection up to date.

The titles coming in this week are heavily focused on self-help and global activism, in large contrast to the children's library it is replacing - although Will assures us that there will be plenty of that, as well. Still, the library's purpose is to further the work of its now-deceased founder - Percival Hughes. The local eccentric was a weapons manufacturer most of his life, but spent his last two decades as a diplomat, settling down in the Accomac region because, he said, "there is something pure and untainted here. I want to harness it for the good of mankind, to follow the will of the Almighty." Hughes died on May 7, 2007 of a heart attack when he was 97 years old.

The Hughes Foundation will begin work on a second phase once the new library is completed - the Percival Hughes Junior College, which will expand the combined building infrastructures to a total of 50,161 square feet. Relatively small by state standards, Hughes expressed a desire on his deathbed to broaden the education here without destroying the area with what he considered the 'urban squalor of man'.
Harriett Swider, a local cook, was one of the volunteers helping stack the shelves on Tuesday. She said the town is excited about the new library.

"Ah yes, we're thrilled with the possibility of doing this together," she said. "When you put the two together it's quite a combination. It's going to be a hopping spot."

By Frederick Howell

phoenixcire
2008-10-21, 11:34 AM
Daren finishes reading the article and folds up the paper.

It appears that we won't be all that alone in the library. Maybe all the commotion from this library will keep the locals from paying too much attention to us.

AstralFire
2008-10-25, 09:27 AM
For lodging: There is only one hotel in town - a Days Inn - and only one motel out of town and nearby - an older, locally owned inn that has seen better days (about 50 years ago).

With restaurants, you have a bit more freedom. Ronald McDonald and Colonel Sanders have local ambassadors here, and there are a number of locally-owned restaurants - Aunt Martha's Crawdads 'n' Cuts and Accomac Eatery both coming in strongly recommended by the locals.

Turns out there's only The Hughes library isn't quite huge - but it's certainly bigger than you expected from looking at its exterior. What is most striking about it as you enter is how startlingly modern it is - the architecture and equipment inside uses a lot of stainless steel and simple, bold lines.

People mill about the building and the librarians smile at you, but no one seems to pay much attention to you - the event was big across the peninsula, so there are probably an unusually high amount of people around.

Neon Knight
2008-10-25, 03:51 PM
Selim is ill at ease; the sheer number of people here reminds him of the gravity of his task. A single paranormal set loose in a situation like this could claim many lives. He looks about grimly, and hopes that he and his allies will be able to prevent such calamities.

Username
2008-10-25, 05:59 PM
Clark happily begins searching for any books on the local history, as well as keeping an eye out for any spirits who may have been attracted by the new building.

Gardener
2008-10-26, 02:53 AM
Harley simply mills with the crowd, occasionally trying to listen for mentions of strange occurences in convesation. Above all, he tries not to stand out, at least to mundane eyes.

phoenixcire
2008-10-26, 09:15 AM
Daren goes looking around. He finds Modern Architecture Since 1900 by William J. R. Curtis. Leaning against the shelf in which he found it, Daren thumbs through the book while keeping his attention on the crowd.

AstralFire
2008-10-26, 12:09 PM
Clark happily begins searching for any books on the local history, as well as keeping an eye out for any spirits who may have been attracted by the new building.

Taking a seat in the private study section of the library and flipping through the pages, everything seems normal and... thoroughly boring, really. At least at first. The town is a Native American word for 'across the water'; a fair description of what it is, but nothing terribly interesting, provocative, or insightful.

As he reads, though, something is bothering him about the thin, quiet, brown-haired boy with glasses across the table from him. Something that he can't quite put his finger on, but he has seen the boy before. He can't be more than 11 or 12, and he seems frustrated with the thick, jewel-encrusted grimoire in his hands. If you try to look at the title, the words seem to elude you...

Harley simply mills with the crowd, occasionally trying to listen for mentions of strange occurences in convesation. Above all, he tries not to stand out, at least to mundane eyes.

Harley and Selim, through their observation, have begun to pick up a few things - like the fact that this library unofficially opened the day of Helena's breakout. Not much more than that, however, other than observations about the economy and the upcoming election.

Username
2008-10-26, 02:38 PM
To Sean (OOC: Yeah, still open. I never closed it and it lasts till then.) (Emotion: curious) <Hey, can you see the kid sitting across from me, holding an incredibly out of place jewel encrusted tome? If not, I think I just spotted a spirit. Dunno why, but feels like I've seen him somewhere before too, though I can't place my finger on it.>

Khane
2008-10-27, 10:11 PM
Sean looks up at Harley while skimming his incredibly boring architecture text. Might as well know what your cover should know, after all, before looking to see if he can see the kid.

(OOC: IF he doesn't see the kid, I'd like to send this. Otherwise, disregard.)

To Harley, Emotion:(Bored)<I dun see anything man. Just dust, chairs, and our little entourage here. No kids.>

AstralFire
2008-11-12, 10:56 AM
You do not see the child.