PDA

View Full Version : V's Significant Other...

Neko Toast
2008-10-09, 05:27 PM
Didn't see a topic of it, and I know it's been mentioned before.

First off, I've heard from others that V has a sig other. I don't know specifically which strip it's from, though, so my apologies for not attaching a reference link.

Anyway, people think that if V's sig other does show up in the comic, that it will solve the gender issue.

I think differently. I have a strong feeling that, if this person appears, they will look identical, or if not very similar, to V. Thus, adding more confusion to the great debate.

Your thoughts?

B. Dandelion
2008-10-09, 05:42 PM
223 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0223.html) is when the issue first comes up. V also mentions it when giving Sabine advice in 385 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html). Man, I am really addicted to this comic, 'cause I only had to glance through the titles to remember.

Anyway, yeah, I would expect V's mate to look equally androgynous. The Giant says in the "No Cure" compilation that we will see the SO eventually, but doesn't answer any other speculation. Really, even if V's mate was clearly male or female, though, the elves might allow gay marriage, so we still wouldn't know for sure. (And just to throw more fuel on that fire, one of the bonus strips in the newest compilation has V, Durkon and Belkar at a restaurant where two female paladins are getting frisky, Belkar comments that you know it's a sweet party when "even the Lawful Good honeys are getting freaky," Durkon agrees, and Vaarsuvius says with a puzzled eyebrow that s/he sees nothing out of the ordinary.)

Joran
2008-10-09, 05:46 PM
Vaarsuvius says with a puzzled eyebrow that s/he sees nothing out of the ordinary
Well, I think that's more of a comment on V's lack of ability to discern gender, rather than acceptance of same sex relationships.

For instance, V couldn't figure out what the hubbub was about Roy wearing the belt of masculinity/femininity, as seen here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0237.html).

Finwe
2008-10-09, 05:49 PM
Even if V's spouse has is clearly male/female, we have no idea what V's sexual orientation is. Given his inability to discern between genders, V might not even have a preference.

B. Dandelion
2008-10-09, 05:51 PM
Well, I think that's more of a comment of V's lack of ability to discern gender, rather than same sex relationships.
True... but also she believed that Elan was making out with a male policeman in 365 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0365.html) and really didn't have much to say to that situation either. So I think it has elements of both.

DraPrime
2008-10-09, 06:10 PM
Now that I think of it, could V be flying back to his SO? That would be quite the reveal for strip 600.

GSFB
2008-10-09, 07:18 PM
If V is distracted by Elan, I am sure a SO who hasn't been seen in years would be a bigger distraction.

newbDM
2008-10-09, 07:26 PM
Anyway, yeah, I would expect V's mate to look equally androgynous.

That is what I am guessing, since it was the same for the drow.

I don't get the drow, though. Drow males have never been portrayed to be feminine. :smallconfused:

Red XIV
2008-10-09, 07:28 PM
Unless V's spouse is a skilled arcane spellcaster in his/her own right, and could directly aid V his research.

But yeah, I don't think V is heading to the spouse right now. He/she is probably just looking for some uninhabited island where he can research new spells to find Haley without being disturbed by other people's problems.

keeperoflore
2008-10-09, 09:33 PM

I don't get the drow, though. Drow males have never been portrayed to be feminine. :smallconfused:

i think the drow show there gender more in personality rather than the build of there bodies, though i do believe that the males do have a more masculine physique than the females.

however, i am in no way an expert on the matter, and could be very, very wrong.

Caleniel
2008-10-10, 01:58 AM
223 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0223.html) is when the issue first comes up. V also mentions it when giving Sabine advice in 385 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html). Man, I am really addicted to this comic, 'cause I only had to glance through the titles to remember.

Oh, Dandelion, now I HAVE to ask! I've noticed before when people link to strips they often include the title... and now you mention "glancing through the titles"! Sorry if I'm being a bit slow, but I've never found this list. I only see the titles in the left frame when a new comic is being posted, and when I look for stuff in the archives I just write numbers in the url line and flip back and forth... so, how do you do it the smart way? Where do you find this list of titles?

Fri
2008-10-10, 02:09 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots.html

you could also do it by clicking the comic archive button. You know, the scroll-like button beside the curious ? button and the interesting ! button.

the ! button is the extra page. Have you visited that page before? It got some bonus comic and some guest comic.

Caleniel
2008-10-10, 03:37 AM
Thanks Fri!

I should have been able to think of that by myself I suppose... :smallredface:

I did read the cast pages and the filler- and guest comics years ago, when I began reading OotS, but since then I don't think I ever really paid attention to the little icons at top.

Thank you for doing my thinking for me!

Salty
2008-10-10, 05:32 AM
I'm surprised that no one has posted this yet, but

OotPCs Spoilers
V's master appears almost as androgynous as V, and some people think that this elf could be V's mate as well as V's mentor.

TengYt
2008-10-10, 08:34 AM
What if V is married to...Haley?!

Mauve Shirt
2008-10-10, 09:08 AM
Heh. "I'm not exactly what you would call....single"
No, V wouldn't have accepted Haley and Elan's relationship if V's mate is Haley.

AKA_Bait
2008-10-10, 09:38 AM
What if V is married to...Haley?!

If V were married to Haley, Elan would probably be a pile of ash.

DraPrime
2008-10-10, 09:49 AM
If V were married to Haley, Elan would probably be a pile of ash.

Unless V has some odd fetish.

nowiwantmydmg
2008-10-10, 09:49 AM
V's mate is......micheal jackson .

ericgrau
2008-10-10, 09:58 AM
V's mate shall be androgenous and it will be ambiguous whether or not both are gay, adding to the confusion.

Kidding, of course.

AKA_Bait
2008-10-10, 10:01 AM
V's mate shall be androgenous and it will be ambiguous whether or not both are gay, adding to the confusion.

Kidding, of course.

Why should you be kidding? I totally expect that.

Grey Watcher
2008-10-10, 10:06 AM
Wait! I've got it!

V's spouse is...O-Chul's holy paladin mount! Which is also the MitD! Which is actually-

AKA_Bait
2008-10-10, 10:12 AM
V's spouse is...O-Chul's holy paladin mount! Which is also the MitD! Which is actually-

-a miniature halfgodzillalikedemonprinceridingtarrasque! No wonder V doesn't want to talk about their relationship.

Chronos
2008-10-10, 11:33 AM
Heh. "I'm not exactly what you would call....single"Even aside from Vaarsuvius's likely reaction, Haley specifically said that that was one secret that not even Vaarsuvius knew.

T-O-E
2008-10-10, 11:54 AM

The drow was V's opposite and as such had a clearly defined gender, like Pompei.

V Junior
2008-10-10, 12:07 PM
^There is no Pompei, only Pompey.

Anyway, referencing and nitpicking aside, V's mate isn't gonna be Haley. To quote AKA_Bait, 'If V's mate was Haley, Elan would be a pile of ash right now'.

Although I have no idea about this, the first time I read the strip in which V reveals hir (yes, hir) marriage, I saw Belkar's line 'So... many... questions...' and though that BELKAR was V's mate!

Tho that's almost a fact in the HoH and Belkar's Romantic Interest...

HamsterOfTheGod
2008-10-10, 12:39 PM

Kidding, of course.

V's spouse: So...how do we do this?
V: I'm not sure.
V's spouse: I mean are you male or female?
V: I'm not sure.

Mauve Shirt
2008-10-10, 12:45 PM
Even aside from Vaarsuvius's likely reaction, Haley specifically said that that was one secret that not even Vaarsuvius knew.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Studoku
2008-10-10, 02:12 PM
I'm surprised that no one has posted this yet, but

OotPCs Spoilers
V's master appears almost as androgynous as V, and some people think that this elf could be V's mate as well as V's mentor.
In SoD,
Lirian's scryers and some of her soldiers are also androgenous, although some are clearly female.

Nerdanel
2008-10-10, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure Pompey is necessarily male. She might just be really butch...

Though, I think V is male.

Neopolis
2008-10-10, 03:36 PM
Wait! I've got it!

Therkla!

Post too short yaddah yah.

Lira
2008-10-10, 03:36 PM

Though, I think V is male.Pompey said to Sabine that he, "might just be the man for you (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0254.html)", so no, I'm sure he's a guy.

esmerelder
2008-10-10, 06:32 PM

I haven't read Origins for few years, but wasn't V quite a young (relatively!) child when ze went to study with zir mentor? That's kinda gross, even though ze is older now... like growing up date your primary/elementary school teacher.

Anyway, the answer is obvious!

V's mate is Haley's Dad! That's why V is obsessed with trying to get Haley (her daughter) back, and with trying to gain ultimate arcane power so she can free her husband from the as-yet-unknown baddies who are holding him! The final conclusive proof? Have we ever, at any point in the comic, seen Haley's ears? No, because she's been keeping her hair long on purpose to hide them so that nobody will know she's a half-elf and take away her racial abilities! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0255.html)

Joke, joke, please don't flame me into oblivion! :smalltongue:

AceOfFools
2008-10-10, 06:40 PM
I haven't read Origins for few years, but wasn't V quite a young (relatively!) child when ze went to study with zir mentor? That's kinda gross, even though ze is older now... like growing up date your primary/elementary school teacher.

Anyway, the answer is obvious!

V's mate is Haley's Dad! That's why V is obsessed with trying to get Haley (her daughter) back, and with trying to gain ultimate arcane power so she can free her husband from the as-yet-unknown baddies who are holding him! The final conclusive proof? Have we ever, at any point in the comic, seen Haley's ears? No, because she's been keeping her hair long on purpose to hide them so that nobody will know she's a half-elf and take away her racial abilities! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0255.html)

Joke, joke, please don't flame me into oblivion! :smalltongue:
Well... elves live for a lot longer, and usually are depicited as showing the effect of aging as much as humans. Also Woody Allen.

So it's not impossible, but far more than a little unlikely.
I suspect V's mentor may be an-in-law to our favorite elven mage. The sort that did not appreciate their apprentice's advances towards their daughter.

Explains the angry eviction, no?

esmerelder
2008-10-10, 06:45 PM
I suspect V's mentor may be an-in-law to our favorite elven mage. The sort that did not appreciate their apprentice's advances towards their daughter.

Explains the angry eviction, no?

Ooh, I like that theory a **lot**. Especially since it doesn't give away V's gender - the advances could be equally unwelcome whether ze is male or female.

Istari
2008-10-10, 07:22 PM
I stand by my theory the V's mate is an ambigious necromancer spec.

newbDM
2008-10-10, 09:43 PM
Even aside from Vaarsuvius's likely reaction, Haley specifically said that that was one secret that not even Vaarsuvius knew.

Did I miss something? What secret?

Also, is it ever said or implied that other elves (and maybe drow) can tell each other's gender? I know that the whole V/elf gender things is suppsoed to be a parody of elves being feminine and "girly", but can they tell themselves?

If not, I guess they are pretty much guessing/hoping when they pick mates? :smalleek:

Cleverdan22
2008-10-10, 10:23 PM

Though, I think V is male.

Pompey said to Sabine: "I think I might be the man for you." Gender identity.

Sereg
2008-10-10, 10:34 PM
I also agree that the gender of V's spouse will be equally ambiguous. NewbDM may be right about elves having to guess the gender of the person that they're trying to woo because that's exactly what happens with adellie penguins.

newbDM
2008-10-10, 11:44 PM
I also agree that the gender of V's spouse will be equally ambiguous. NewbDM may be right about elves having to guess the gender of the person that they're trying to woo because that's exactly what happens with adellie penguins.

You're joking? :smalleek:

I would hate to mess up there.

Then again, a whole race where EVERYONE looks exactly like you seems both odd, and fun.

"Hey, you look exactly like me. Damn I'm beautiful! Let's get frisky."...

Querzis
2008-10-11, 12:07 AM
Did I miss something? What secret?

Well you remember the strips where Haley was speaking in gibberish? It was actually a cypher which were all translated in the forum:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4909&highlight=haley+translation

She says lots of interesting information, especially in the strip where she have go to the restaurant with Elan.

And honestly, when the whole point of Pompey when he first appeared was that: «Hey, a clearly defined gender, he IS an opposite» I just dont know how some people can think hes a girl.

Kranden
2008-10-11, 12:36 AM
Anyway, people think that if V's sig other does show up in the comic, that it will solve the gender issue.

I think differently. I have a strong feeling that, if this person appears, they will look identical, or if not very similar, to V. Thus, adding more confusion to the great debate.

Your thoughts?

Most likely his/her significant other would be just as androgynous. Besides I really doubt V really cares about that other elf at the moment. He/she does not even care about his/her own health.

Sereg
2008-10-12, 10:12 AM
You're joking? :smalleek:

I would hate to mess up there.

Then again, a whole race where EVERYONE looks exactly like you seems both odd, and fun.

"Hey, you look exactly like me. Damn I'm beautiful! Let's get frisky."...

Yes, a male penguin will give a pebble to a potential mate and if the possible mate is male, he will get pecked on the head.

David Argall
2008-10-12, 01:54 PM
Yes, a male penguin will give a pebble to a potential mate and if the possible mate is male, he will get pecked on the head.
Or the other male will steal his pebble.