PDA

View Full Version : Partnerships that would fail

Assassin89
2008-10-09, 07:45 PM
I have though of two possible (non romantic) pairings for OotS that would fail for one reason of another.

Sabine and Crystal
reason for partnership: desire to kill same person :haley:
reason for failure: Fighting over who gets to kill:haley:. Both argue and Haley escapes.

Miko and Therlka
reason for partnership: both acted against their leaders. Miko due to pure insanity and Therlka due to taking an option that would result in no deaths.
reason for failure: Miko likely to kill Therlka based on alignment.

Feel free to introduce other team-ups.

GSFB
2008-10-09, 09:26 PM
Miko and Therlka
reason for failure: Both likely to kill each other.

Also, because there is no "Therlka." Now, Miko and Therkla would also fail. Because they already dead.

krossbow
2008-10-09, 09:33 PM
Haley and Therkla
Reason: Constant attempts to kill off rival love interest.

Thog and Durkon
Reason: Inability to properly interpret "talky man's" orders would have durkon at his wits end (see orc island)

Elan and Quar
Reason: Massive alignment conflicts.

David Argall
2008-10-09, 10:36 PM
Now Miko and Therkla [assuming they were alive] would not fail because of trying to kill each other. Rather, they simply would not be particularly interested in redemption. Neither can be said to have learned her lesson, or be interested in learning it. Miko of course wants to be a paladin again, but admitting she was wrong? Therkla wants Elan. She has no interest in any sort or redemption.

Now if we set something up where Therekla get Elan, or a share of him, if she can truly convert to Good [as opposed to simply pretending to when Elan might hear] and Miko gets to be a paladin [without admitting she screwed up] if she can guide Therkla to Good, the two could work together well. Alternately just about any military mission is apt to work well.

Now for the fail list
Nale & Therkla
Mission: Deal with Elan
Fails because: "That's not what I meant by deal with!"

FujinAkari
2008-10-09, 11:44 PM
Therekla

Worst one yet! :P

Mewtarthio
2008-10-09, 11:59 PM
O-Chul and Xykon.

drengnikrafe
2008-10-10, 12:03 AM
Worst one yet!* :P
Have you seen the "How to misspell Roy" thread? I would say that "Therkela" is hardly half as bad as "Rouitam" or DOABARRELROLL! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92912&page=2)
... yeah.

FujinAkari
2008-10-10, 12:11 AM
Have you seen the "How to misspell Roy" thread? I would say that "Therkela" is hardly half as bad as "Rouitam" or DOABARRELROLL! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92912&page=2)
... yeah.

Those are intentional, they don't count :P

Rad
2008-10-10, 06:28 AM
Elan and Thog

no, wait... that one DID work out well after all...

Terrace
2008-10-10, 07:32 AM
:belkar: and :thog:

reason for partnership: they both like killing people

reason for failure: :belkar: would try to kill :thog: for kicks.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-10-10, 10:43 AM
Elan and Thog

no, wait... that one DID work out well after all...

Until Thog nailed Haley.

Shatteredtower
2008-10-10, 12:36 PM
Until Thog nailed Haley.

No, Thog adoored Haley. Later, Elan nailed the door.

eyeofsaulot
2008-10-10, 12:48 PM
Roy + Durkon + Elan + Belkar + Haley + Vaarsuvius
Reason for Partnership: Adventure => Save the World
Reason for Failure: Read the comic.

ZING!

AceOfFools
2008-10-10, 05:56 PM
No, Thog adoored Haley. Later, Elan nailed the door.

Hahahahaha! Golden!

As for teams doomed to fail, I'd put forward Redcloak and Roy. They both serve the "sarcastic straight man manager," roles in there respective groups.

Unlike with "innocent comic relief" characters, their massive alignment differences don't play well together. And then theres the whole speciest tendencies.

Although, I would love to see the two of them trade sarcastic quips sometime.

esmerelder
2008-10-10, 06:57 PM
Roy + Durkon + Elan + Belkar + Haley + Vaarsuvius
Reason for Partnership: Adventure => Save the World
Reason for Failure: Read the comic.

ZING!

Heh. I dunno, though, there's one combination that's even worse, and that's

Durkon + Elan + Vaarsuvius

Who would ever have predicted such a serious personality clash between three people who previously seemed to get along peacefully, and even happily, when Roy was around to keep them in line?

drengnikrafe
2008-10-10, 07:29 PM
Vaarsuvuius + Lawyer Celia

Reason for partnership: Both quasi-painfully verbose and fairly convincing when it comes to things.

Reason for failure: Celia is a Lawyer. Any partnership with a lawyer is destined to fail.

chiasaur11
2008-10-10, 07:37 PM
Vaarsuvuius + Lawyer Celia

Reason for partnership: Both quasi-painfully verbose and fairly convincing when it comes to things.

Reason for failure: Celia is a Lawyer. Any partnership with a lawyer is destined to fail.

Tell that to Dewey, Cheetum, and Howe.

drengnikrafe
2008-10-10, 07:40 PM
^
Sorry, when I said "any partnership with a lawyer would fail", I meant any partnership that didn't involve other such people. For instance, the Haley/Celia partnership seems to be working out okay due to the old saying "honor among thieves" (Lawyers and rogues count as thieves). V and Celia would not, because V is not a thief.

TheBST
2008-10-10, 07:40 PM
Belkar and Xykon.

No, hear me out.

1) Neither have much of an attention span, but Xykon is dedicated to
ruling the world one day. Belkar is only interested in who he can stab next.
Belkar doesn't have any ambition- Xykon would admire his moxie but
consider him small time.

2) Xykon's bodycount would be more likely to inspire envy than admiration from Belkar. Cue and endless and unfriendly 'Most horrible waste of sentient life' competiton

3) Belkar has a jones for killing goblins, attacked Tsukiko and his lack of subtley and planning would enrage Redcloak. He would cause nothing but problems on Team Evil.

4) Xykon seems to have as little time for combat characters as Belkar does for spellcasters.

Assassin89
2008-10-10, 10:14 PM
allow me to define redemption. What I mean is that one atones for past actions. Although miko will not attempt to atone for any actions, while Therlka is more likely to change. The team up would then be a test of character. Miko would be more likely to get a lesser reward that Therlka and therefore try to attack the ninja to get a better reward.

Now let me introduce some non canonical team ups:

Edge from Final Fantasy IV and Therlka
reason for team up: Two Ninjas
reason for failure: probably something romance-based

Cecil from Final Fantasy IV and Miko
reason for team up: Miko needs a better role model for a good paladin i.e one who is not insane and understands that there are better things worth fighting for.
reason for failure: Miko's insanity. She attacks Cecil upon hearing his journey from a dark knight to a paladin.

Oots and these guys (http://irregularwebcomic.net/cast/fantasy.html)
reason for team up: basic rules, same dysfunctional fundamentals. Fire wizard can help burn :xykon: to undeath.
reason for failure: :belkar: stabs the hobbit over several puns or attacks lizardman for XP. disagreement between the elves. Great fireballs from the wizards.