PDA

View Full Version : just an idea....

Alarra
2004-07-14, 01:00 PM
I just thought I would throw out these ideas as things that I really like on other message boards that GitP doesn't have.

I'm not sure if these are things that are remotely possible to have on here or not, but in the future - you know if there's ever messing around with format and whatnot. So if not, or if I'm annoying just tell me to shut up. =) Anyway...

1. Having a "search for all new posts since your last visit" option. I really like this, cause then you don't have to go into each forum individually.

2. When replying to something, having the previous posts show below in reverse order, then you don't have to scroll all the way to the bottom to reread the person that posted before you.

So yeah...just my thoughts for the day.

The Giant
2004-07-14, 06:05 PM
I don't know much about the software we use, but I find it unlikely that we could make those changes without tearing apart the code completely and putting it back together again. As in, if Ray feels bored and wants to try it, cool, but I can't in good conscience ask him to spend time on such a major undertaking for so little real tangible benefit.

Alarra
2004-07-14, 09:55 PM
Yeah, that was what I figured. =)

I just thought I would throw it out there. sorry

Zagaroth
2004-07-18, 03:22 PM
how about adding angel and devil smilies? :)

WFRPguy
2004-08-08, 12:39 AM
why, that would be heavenly. (coughs) sooo...any easy way to do this? my yahoo messanger has them.

Zherog
2004-08-09, 12:06 PM
You can always grab them from an external source and use the tags.

Here's a devil:

[img]http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//devil/diablotin.gif

Here's a couple angels:

http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//saint.gif

http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//angel3.gif

http://mindscraps.com/s/contrib/ruinkai/biggrinangelA.gif

Adghar
2004-08-30, 03:55 PM
2. When replying to something, having the previous posts show below in reverse order, then you don't have to scroll all the way to the bottom to reread the person that posted before you.

Are you sure you can't just use the End and Home buttons? Near Page Up and Page Down, Insert, and Delete?

Alarra
2004-09-01, 01:48 AM
Yes, I can....and do. It was just a suggestion of something that I like on another board. I mean, I wasn't suggesting making massive changes to the site or anything. I just didn't know if that was something easily done or not. I mean, it's not like it's really that big of a deal at all.

RawBearNYC
2004-09-01, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Alarra. The order change might actually be trivial, but I'm not sure I would do it, as it's more of a preference thing than not, and I don't know that the entire world would prefer the same thing you do. However, if Rich were to come here and say "Hey, yeah, let's do it", I could look into it.

Zherog
2004-09-01, 10:47 AM
If you're looking for preferences, I also prefer newest post first; I regularly refer to what people have said recently, and particularly in a long thread it's a lot of scrolling. Yeah, I'm lazy - I'll admit it. :)

If you aren't looking for anybody's opinion other than Rich's, well - ignore my post. ;)

clarkcd
2004-09-01, 11:26 AM
My preference is also for most recent posts on the top.

Like Zherog I'm lazy.

Unlike Zherog I insist you value my opinion regardless of what Rich wants. :P

RawBearNYC
2004-09-01, 12:17 PM
Unlike Zherog I insist you value my opinion regardless of what Rich wants. :P
Good luck with that!

RawBearNYC
2004-09-01, 12:30 PM
Hmmm...I just did a quick look through the code, and all it would take would be to add the word "reverse " to the code. So, all I need now is Rich to say "hey, that's a good idea, let's do it."

The Giant
2004-09-01, 02:20 PM
On a scale of 1 to 10, the degree to which I care about this is like –14.

Can anyone give me a reason this SHOULDN'T be done? If not, then go ahead and make the change, Ray.

Damian_Blackclaw
2004-09-02, 06:20 PM
Didn't want to start an entirely new thread for this so here goes . . .

I've looked and searched. Didn't find (except for the help page which is scant) . . .a sort of "how to use the board" . . . how to use the codes, quotes, etc.

I'd post one or a link, but I don't know enough.

Damian

RawBearNYC
2004-09-03, 10:41 AM
Didn't want to start an entirely new thread for this so here goes . . .

I've looked and searched. Didn't find (except for the help page which is scant) . . .a sort of "how to use the board" . . . how to use the codes, quotes, etc.

I'd post one or a link, but I don't know enough.

Damian

I'm not sure what you're asking for, Damian, but help on YaBBc can be found in the help under "Posting"

http://www.giantitp.com/mb/YaBBHelp/posting.html#yabbc

As for quoting, the default quote tab will usually suffice, but each post has a "Quote" link in the upper right of the entry, and you can click it to include in your post reporting who posted what and when.

Damian_Blackclaw
2004-09-05, 02:55 PM
Thanks that was helpful and a great start, I apparently didn't come across that page before though I hit the help button. :'( But I've noticed I'm not the only one.

One of the things I tried to do when replying to the spell theme contest vote was quote from the Giant's post and Private Message that to VOTE. . .I had to quote then cut & paste out of the post and open a new page to PM VOTE. Even then there was some code that appeared in the message as text. Is there a correct, or easier or faster or cleaner way?

E.g., could I quote one thread into another thread or into a PM?

Damian

RawBearNYC
2004-09-05, 05:55 PM
did you try just a plain [_quote_] (without the underscores, of course) instead of the codified one that yabb uses when you click the quote link?

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-09-12, 06:44 PM
I'm assuming you're referring to the tags for such things as images and links. I'm willing to do one up real quick, but generally the codes are similar to those used for UBB - a Google search for UBB codes should get you a good start.

Damian_Blackclaw
2004-09-12, 07:41 PM
I'm assuming you're referring to the tags for such things as images and links. I'm willing to do one up real quick, but generally the codes are similar to those used for UBB - a Google search for UBB codes should get you a good start.

I think that would be great. In fact, I've noticed that more than once you explained to new board members how to do some "basic" things such as quote, or hyper link. Even a thread that simply had a link to a google page (as opposed to a full article or posting) might be helpful.

I tried a little of that with no success so far. (See my signature).

Damian