PDA

View Full Version : Grapple Rule Question

Exanedral
2008-10-09, 10:08 PM
Does anyone know what the feat/ability is that allows a character/monster to grapple using one hand/appendage at a -20 penalty? I cannot remember what it is and I cannot find it anywhere. I feel pretty crazy at this point.
I'm trying to make a demigod of gluttony and sin and I want him to have this ability so he can grab people and eat them whole 2 at a time. :smalltongue:

Thank you!

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-09, 10:11 PM
It's not a feat, that's the standard penalty. Anyone can do it, though very few can do it well.

Temp.
2008-10-09, 10:14 PM
Scorpion's Grasp (Sandstorm pg 52) lets you hold an enemy in your offhand while grappling without being considered grappled yourself, as well as granting Improved Grab.

Rei_Jin
2008-10-09, 10:20 PM
Actually, you can only do it when you have Improved Grab, which is a monstrous ability and can be found HERE (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#improvedGrab)

Improved Grab
If a creature with this special attack hits with a melee weapon (usually a claw or bite attack), it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. No initial touch attack is required.

Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature. The creature has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a -20 penalty on grapple checks, but is not considered grappled itself; the creature does not lose its Dexterity bonus to AC, still threatens an area, and can use its remaining attacks against other opponents.

A successful hold does not deal any extra damage unless the creature also has the constrict special attack. If the creature does not constrict, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals the damage indicated for the attack that established the hold. Otherwise, it deals constriction damage as well (the amount is given in the creature’s descriptive text).

When a creature gets a hold after an improved grab attack, it pulls the opponent into its space. This act does not provoke attacks of opportunity. It can even move (possibly carrying away the opponent), provided it can drag the opponent’s weight.

monty
2008-10-09, 10:22 PM
If you have Improved Grab and sufficiently high stats, the Multigrab and Greater Multigrab feats from Savage Species reduce the penalty to -10 and 0, respectively.

BobVosh
2008-10-10, 01:58 AM
If you have Improved Grab and sufficiently high stats, the Multigrab and Greater Multigrab feats from Savage Species reduce the penalty to -10 and 0, respectively.

Please don't tell TDC...please....

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-10, 01:59 AM
Please don't tell TDC...please....Vermin don't get feats. If only there were some way to add an Int score to a Monster. Like the Fiendish Template, perhaps?

BobVosh
2008-10-10, 02:03 AM
Vermin don't get feats. If only there were some way to add an Int score to a Monster. Like the Fiendish Template, perhaps?

Ah, but if it were intelligent it would not be immune to so many 'save or lose's.

Exanedral
2008-10-10, 02:09 AM
Wow, that Multigrab feat from Savage Species is pretty potent. I'm hope I'll never be on the receiving end. Thanks all, and if you ever have a need for a bloated, gluttonous evil demigod, keep a lookout for Xesek the Devourer! Hopefully he'll be ready to post soon.

Person_Man
2008-10-10, 10:27 AM
Temp is correct. Scorpion's Grasp works fine.

monty
2008-10-10, 10:34 AM
Fiendish Damn Crab with Greater Multigrab? Your party is screwed.

Vazzaroth
2008-10-10, 12:01 PM
Or you could convert to 4th, where they might have super simplified grabbing, but at least it only takes one hand now!

When I realized that, I had to re-read it about 4 times. I'm pretty sure I'm not mis-interpreting it. Your Fighter can hold one person in place and whack another. :smallcool:

ocato
2008-10-10, 01:56 PM
Scorpion's Grasp (Sandstorm pg 52) lets you hold an enemy in your offhand while grappling without being considered grappled yourself, as well as granting Improved Grab.

I love that feat, it's very useful in my favorite monk build.

kjones
2008-10-10, 03:17 PM
Fiendish Damn Crab with Greater Multigrab? Your party is screwed.

I read that as "Greater Multicrab"... Saints add preservatives to us.

I generally let any monster do the "-20 to grapple to not lose Dex to AC, etc." thing, simply because most monster have obscene grapple bonuses, and this gives the PCs a fighting chance. Seriously, I have never seen a PC who was not specifically built for grappling have anything comparable to a fighting chance against most monsters.

Saph
2008-10-10, 03:24 PM
I generally let any monster do the "-20 to grapple to not lose Dex to AC, etc." thing, simply because most monster have obscene grapple bonuses, and this gives the PCs a fighting chance. Seriously, I have never seen a PC who was not specifically built for grappling have anything comparable to a fighting chance against most monsters.

Yeah, at higher levels I usually don't even bother now.

DM: "Can you make a Grapple check, please?"
Me: "No. No, I can't. Unless it's got a modifier of less than +50."
DM: " . . . It doesn't."
Me: "Then no."

- Saph

Fax Celestis
2008-10-10, 03:25 PM
Yeah, at higher levels I usually don't even bother now.

DM: "Can you make a Grapple check, please?"
Me: "No. No, I can't. Unless it's got a modifier of less than +50."
DM: " . . . It doesn't."
Me: "Then no."

- Saph

This is why, like UMD, I always always ALWAYS put ranks in Escape Artist.

Glimbur
2008-10-10, 03:43 PM
This is why, like UMD, I always always ALWAYS put ranks in Escape Artist.

You still have to beat their grapple check. Granted, skill + Dex is generally higher than BAB + Strength for a skill monkey or even a caster, but when they've got significant size bonuses (for example the +50 total grapple mod someone else mentioned) you're still stuck. Which is why you Dimension Door or such instead.

ocato
2008-10-10, 04:03 PM
This is why, in my opinion, the mark of a good grappling build is knowing when not to grapple and having options that support that. Weakening Touch, Stunning Fist, and Hammer Fist/Power Attack/Decisive strike works to a degree.