PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion - Address Bar Icon

Hobot
2004-03-20, 07:56 PM
I thought it'd be neat if this site had a favicon.ico file. I know a few browsers support them for the address bar and for the bookmark list (namely IE and Mozilla). The Giant's artwork would probably make good icons too.

In order to make one all you have to do is place the favicon.ico file in the site's root directory. The size has to be 16X16 and the colours can be up to 256 but it's recomended that you just use 16 (which shouldn't be a problem). Btw, the icon files do support transparency (though it's only 1-bit alpha like GIFs).

You can use this freeware program (available for all versions of windows and no spyware or other nasty stuff) http://www.irfanview.com/ to convert just about any image to an ico file.

Bogotter
2004-03-20, 11:44 PM
So what exactly does a favicon do?

RawBearNYC
2004-03-21, 12:17 AM
I've mentioned this to Rich in passing. He thought it was a good idea. Our conversation ended there.

The icon he's talking about is one that some browsers will display in place of their normal "web page" icon (for IE, the piece of paper with the blue "e" on it). Most of the big web sites have them, Google, Yahoo, etc.

Not all browsers do this, so some of you really won't care. I use an IE wrapparound browser called Avant Browser. It has tabs fro different open pages, which I like, and it uses the icons on the different tabs.

The Giant
2004-03-21, 12:40 AM
I think I forgot this because as a Mac user, I am stuck with an older version of IE that doesn't support this. Thus, it's tough to remember that it exists.

RawBearNYC
2004-03-21, 12:42 AM
I think I forgot this because as a Mac user, I am stuck with an older version of IE that doesn't support this. Thus, it's tough to remember that it exists.
heh, then what's my excuse?

Bogotter
2004-03-21, 12:43 AM
I've mentioned this to Rich in passing. He thought it was a good idea. Our conversation ended there.

The icon he's talking about is one that some browsers will display in place of their normal "web page" icon (for IE, the piece of paper with the blue "e" on it). Most of the big web sites have them, Google, Yahoo, etc.

Not all browsers do this, so some of you really won't care. I use an IE wrapparound browser called Avant Browser. It has tabs fro different open pages, which I like, and it uses the icons on the different tabs.

Gotcha....I know what you're talking about now. Seems like a neat little extra thing but ultimately not all that important.

Zherog
2004-03-21, 01:05 PM
heh, then what's my excuse?

Lazy? :P

RawBearNYC
2004-03-21, 03:38 PM
Lazy? :P
Hush, you, we'll have none of your particularily accurate intuitiveness here.

WFRPguy
2004-08-08, 12:56 AM
Bogotter is right- it a neat little extra. Not critical, but if it can be done and doesn't take too long, why not? Favicons help build a brand.

The real question is, what would it be?

Rhuna_Coppermane
2004-08-10, 06:02 PM
Sounds neat to me. I'm a mac user as well, but I'm using Safari.

I think the beholder icon would be great. It's compact enough that it wouldn't lose comprehensibility when shrunk down that small, and it's really cool looking.

Gdrad
2004-08-10, 10:23 PM
Sounds neat to me. I'm a mac user as well, but I'm using Safari.

I think the beholder icon would be great. It's compact enough that it wouldn't lose comprehensibility when shrunk down that small, and it's really cool looking.
Not sure on the beholder thing. But I use Safari too and love it! The only problem is when you hit pages that Safari can't run because they were designed for pc and such.

Adghar
2004-09-01, 10:43 PM
I think the best favicon would be Haley's head. For some reason, when I think of a favicon for OotS, I would think Haley. If OotS had a mascot, then the favicon could be him/her.

Waaaait a secnond(The N is intentional, yoz!)! We can use Elan! That'd be so cool!