PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Sidekick that sidekicks @$$ :P

Zephyros
2008-10-10, 08:23 AM
Hello everybody...

Till now in a long-time campaign I am running, my pcs knew that the lieutenant of the big bad neutral guy Cleric of Magic was a dwarf. Later the found out that he also did a good amount of fighting. The time has come now to confront him for the first time and I really must stat him out.

Well, that is it. I need feedback about a dwarven gish of fiery doom. That is because more or less I am set on the basic build of this character.

He is a dwarf(any nifty subrace suggestion?) Crusader1/Wizard4/Runesmith1/JPM10/Runesmith4.

Here are my questions:
1.What feats to take? I am at a mess here, since none of the PrC s have prerequisites. So everything is a bit iffy here.
2.Does runecasting interfere with fighting? In what ways? (I mean if it interferes with THF, using metamagic rods blah blah blah)
3. Should I swap the last level of the Runesmith (that grants me 9th level spells) with a level in Deep Sentinel (that prc from ToB for Dwarfy dwarves) to access meaner martial stunts?
4. In terms of party-opposing he will have a Warforged Buddy (he supposedly crafted) lvl 14-15 with whom I don't really know to do. (ideas on class?)

The party (lvl 16) consists of:
-Elven Druid (using the shapeshift alternative from UA for monk and ranger boni) mostly caster, buffer, but a force to be reckoned with.
-Shifter Warblade (fancy names chop chop - wields a great maul)
-Human paragon/rogue/sorcerer/unseen seer/arcane trickster (party face, conman, arcanist)

edit:Many thanks to all of ya

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-10, 08:31 AM
One key is to change the order of the classes. He has an IL of 15, but make sure the last level he takes is of JPM, otherwise he doesn't get 8th level maneuvers. Also, have you considered Sorc instead of Wizard, for Cha synergy?

Zephyros
2008-10-10, 09:11 AM
I think u can't enter Runesmith with Sorcerer.

And yes you are right about the order of the classes. I can get 8th lvl maneuvers with the last level as JPM, and that's a reason I thought about Deep Sentinel, more maneuvers but no 9th level spells.

What about feats?:smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-10, 09:36 AM
Extra Granted Maneuver.
Power Attack.
Quicken Spell.

Actions are going to be your biggest limitation, so try to find ways to cast as a swift action, especially if you can figure a way to move/full-attack. Have you picked a Specialization yet?

And you can enter as a Sorcerer. I'd recommend it, to reduce MAD(Actually, I'd recommend going Duskblade 7/Warblade 2/Runesmith 1/JPM 10, but that's just me).

Zephyros
2008-10-10, 09:54 AM
Transmuter most probably. (although conjurer is tempting too)

I am away from my books right now but didn't the runesmith need to prepare spells? if u dont prepare spells what do u do u scribe runes on the spot???:smallbiggrin:

Yes, mainly swift actions... I was thinkin about arcane channeling boosting whirling blades of doom... But that was just me.

Also for warblade, unfortunately he gets no synergy with JPM for maneuvers schools. :smallfrown:

Zephyros
2008-10-10, 12:57 PM
Anybody??? Mommy am hoooome :smallbiggrin:

Magnor Criol
2008-10-10, 01:28 PM
I'd leave his caster levels there, maybe even consider dropping a few other the martial-oriented levels for a couple more. Not too much or anything, just a tip him a tad more in the magic direction.

His warforged buddy can take care of the heavy melee stuff. Give him (her? it?) some heavy martial prowess, maybe with just a touch of magic abilities for seasoning (you did say this was a cleric of magic who made him, after all).

Give him lots of special combat abilities and feats; don't just make it a hulking "Grawrr I crush you now" brute. I think it makes for a lot more engaging fight if the guy you're fighting uses special abilities and maneuvers moreso than just straight-on power attacking.