PDA

View Full Version : Horrific Anatomical Undead #2

Icewalker
2008-10-10, 11:04 PM
Inspiration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peritoneum)

Peritoneal Brute
Medium Undead
HD 8d12 (52 HP)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares);
Init: +3
AC 20; touch 13; flat-footed 17
(+3 Dex, +7 Natural)
BAB/Grp +4/+8
Attack Slam +8 (1d6+4 and Disturb Peritoneum)
Full-Attack Slam (1d6+4 and Disturb Peritoneum)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Disturb Peritoneum, Dissolve Peritoneum
Special Qualities Darkvision 60 ft., DR 5/piercing or slashing, Undead traits
Saves Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +5
Abilities Str 18, Dex 16, Con -, Int -, Wis 9, Cha 13
Skills
Feats
Environment
Organization Single, Membrane Wall (2-8)
Challenge Rating 5
Alignment Always Neutral Evil
Advancement 9-13 (Medium), 14-20 (Large)

It's quite a disgusting sight. It was definitely part of a person. Once. Probably quite a long time ago, considering the stench, turning your stomach even as it approaches. It looks like a clear sack of some kind of internal tissue taken intact from inside someone's chest. Piled horrifically inside of the membrane are the organs of the man that is now this creature, slowly rotting away unaware of the animated preservation of their vessel. Two flaps of the clear membrane are peeled down to the ground, and it manages to balance on them shakily as it moves.

Peritoneal Brutes are the animated peritoneum of the dead. The peritoneum is the thick clear membrane that lines the inside of the torso, keeping all the organs in place and protected. This protective layer has been made into a horrific undead mockery by some crazed necromancer, by animating the peritoneum, generally with the organs still inside, unpreserved, to rot away as the beast wanders and kills mindlessly.

Disturb Peritoneum: The touch of a Peritoneal Brute shakes and weakens the Peritoneum of the target. Any being with a discernible anatomy hit by a slam attack of a Peritoneal Brute, or per round grappling one, must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or become sickened for 1d4 hours. This sickening can be received multiple times, each time the duration stacks.

Dissolve Peritoneum: Eventually, the weakening of the internal structure by a Peritoneal Brute's Disturb Peritoneum ability causes the entire membrane of their target to dissolve, rendering them hopelessly injured and loosing their organs. If the sickened duration from the Peritoneal Brute's Disturb Peritoneum ability reaches 12 or more hours on a target, their Peritoneum dissolves. The condition changes from sickened to nauseated, keeping the same duration, and the target takes 2d4 Constitution drain.

[hr]
Here is my second horrific anatomical undead in a short time. The first being the Synovial Freak. Fun creations, these.

Interestingly, both were inspired by school, in very out of the way ways. I got Synovial Freak from having Synovial Membranes mentioned in physics as one of the most frictionless substances known to man. I came across peritoneum in the dictionary today looking up some word in English, and remembered seeing it dissecting a mouse last year as a thin clear membrane under the skin covering the organs. Decided to stat up a horrific peritoneum undead, and here it is.

DracoDei
2008-10-11, 04:43 AM
Eh... decent new mecnanic... the second effect is unlikely to come up very often, given that you have to get hit, and fail no less than 3, and statistically average 5 DC 15 Fortitude saves before it kicks in... you would need so many attacking one character that the PCs would be high enough level that even the rogue is likely to start making even more of the saving throws and... well I just don't see it happening very often.

Needs rules for creation...

IMHO:
All in all... not your best work, the first one in the series was reasonably good if I remember correctly... this just seems like a stretch conceptually, except for a humor campaign... you know my stuff along these lines (Floating Lungs et al)... can you honestly say that this thing is in the same class? Still... I guess it is one more "use every part of the buffalo" type undead...

Icewalker
2008-10-11, 10:45 AM
Yeah, it isn't as good as the Synovial Freak, but I kind of like the idea of dissolving somebody else's peritoneum, so their organs fall into a conglomerating mess at the bottom of their torso.

It is a little ridiculous compared to other stuff.